*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (St.L WINS 4-2) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

St. L vs Min  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bruiser Takes The Next Step?

• 1- Blues continue their streak of the Wild, after winning the season 3-0, take the playoff set in a 4-0 sweep!
    • 2- Blues in 5, as the Wild put up a mild fight which ultimately results in just another day at the office for St. Louis
    • 3- Blues in 6 as the series is everything most fans thought, but the Blues still show they are much more prepared
    • 4- Blues in 7, as both teams battled tooth n nail, and the Wild almost pull it out, but St. Louis is focused on that 2nd Stanley Cup!
    • 5- Wild sweep as they flush away the regular season's meaning and say, "None of that matters here!"
    • 6- Wild win in 5 and despite some protests from the Blues, Minnesota uses them as a stepping stone easily.
    • 7- Wild in 6, tough series, but these bigger badder Wild still prove too much for the 'loaded Blues'
    • 8- Wild in 7, home ice proves to be an advantage, could have gone either way, but MN sends St. L packing in a very hotly contested set

This poll is closed to new votes

Talking heads saying Marc Andre Fleury likely to get the Game 1 start, even though technically, Cam Talbot's numbers were a bit better since MAF was traded to the Wild.
MAF has, of course, played well too, though he didn't look like it against Arizona near season's end.
Then again, Arizona was a problem for a few other teams too.... Wild, along with the Preds and Stars.

Also, seems Marcus Foligno, a big, big part of the Wild's 'engine' looks ready to go for Game 1, but there is a bit of speculation as to how healthy he really is.
Healthy enough to be in the lineup, for sure, but guess we will wait and see how he plays on the ice to see whether he is able to throw everything he's got at the Blues.

Without Foligno in the lineup, the Wild still have plenty of grit and character, but make no mistake:
Minnesota is MUCH better with Foligno in there and playing well than they are without him in there!

Go Marcus, GO!

• Like 2

Another important thing I will be looking for from the Wild:

How Kirill Kaprizov and Kevin Fiala, two of the Wild's biggest scoring threats, handle the reduced amount of time and space they will be subjected to.
Maybe they remember and learned from last year, where Kirill only tallied 3 pts in 7 games, and Fiala only another 2 in that same span?

They are just gonna have to realize that the Blues will smother them more than ever and might even have certain Blues players assigned to be in their back pockets at all times!

Just now, Jimtown guy said:

Fleury is starting 

I for one agree wholeheartedly with the call. MAF has a ton of postseason experience, if the Wild go deep it will take both goalies at one point or another but Flower deserves the start,

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

I for one agree wholeheartedly with the call. MAF has a ton of postseason experience, if the Wild go deep it will take both goalies at one point or another but Flower deserves the start,

Plus, you don't go out and get a guy like MAF and give up a promising goalie in Kahkonen, just to sit him on the bench.

Granted, I never really was a Talbot fan (not as a starter anyways), no matter WHERE he's played, but I will acknowledge that he has been quite good when needed to end the season, and he should see some play time (maybe a Roloson-Fernandez dynamic?), but if all is on the line, unless the bottom falls completely out from under him, I'd want MAF in there!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I would of been fine with Talbot but with Fleury’s experience during the playoffs I totally get why Evanson is starting him 

• Like 2

Right, Fleury was brought to add experience and leadership as long as another legit #1 goalie. And you know that bringing Fleury won't scrap the locker room at all.

And I wish for the most possible losses for Binnington.

(Ha, Husso is starting. Nevermind...)

I dion't think the Wild can afford to "ride" either goalie. MAF is getting older and has not looked stellar.

Talbot seems to look best when he is NOT over worked.

I'm fine with either as long as they can keep them both fresh, but not rusty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Not so sure.  There have been a few elbows let go and a few trips and holds that haven't been called.  Mainly because they are by the losing teams.  This sport's awful officiating(far too many wearing stripes that bring their egos onto the ice with them) LOVES to be a part of these games and try and even them up with their calling instead of allowing the players to decide these games.  It's the same every single year.  Tampa as one example has gotten away with a few while Toronto is getting called for the same stuff.

I may have missed those as I am channel surfing but some that have been called tonight would of never been called in the past. Just my observation 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 1

Also another reason IMO for starting Fleury beyond playoff experience is I think they're hoping he re signs next year for his possible final year. We really don't have a great option yet for backup as Wallstedt is still a little ways away. So I think we want him to be as happy as possible so that he would sign on the cheap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

I may have missed those as I am channel surfing but some that have been called tonight would of never been called in the past. Just my observation 

It happens every year. One series everything is called, differant series nothing is called.

Series #1 every obstruction, slash, trip. Series #2 crosscheck to the neck, hack across the wrist NO CALL.

And the worst part of it is it determines series wins every year.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And they are underway!!

Hopefully, the Wild can help wipe away the bad taste the Bolts left me with their lackluster play against Toronto.

Go Wild GO!

:wild: :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

One game is not the series.

Just now, Tomdog said:

One game is not the series.

Oh, I know.
And the Bolts, maddeningly, make a habit of "starting slow" this season.

I just expected more spirit out of them, and they looked like a bottom feeder out there.

But anyways, in Wild mode right now, and the green guys are on the PP already!