*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (St.L WINS 4-2) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

St. L vs Min  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bruiser Takes The Next Step?

• 1- Blues continue their streak of the Wild, after winning the season 3-0, take the playoff set in a 4-0 sweep!
    • 2- Blues in 5, as the Wild put up a mild fight which ultimately results in just another day at the office for St. Louis
    • 3- Blues in 6 as the series is everything most fans thought, but the Blues still show they are much more prepared
    • 4- Blues in 7, as both teams battled tooth n nail, and the Wild almost pull it out, but St. Louis is focused on that 2nd Stanley Cup!
    • 5- Wild sweep as they flush away the regular season's meaning and say, "None of that matters here!"
    • 6- Wild win in 5 and despite some protests from the Blues, Minnesota uses them as a stepping stone easily.
    • 7- Wild in 6, tough series, but these bigger badder Wild still prove too much for the 'loaded Blues'
    • 8- Wild in 7, home ice proves to be an advantage, could have gone either way, but MN sends St. L packing in a very hotly contested set

This poll is closed to new votes

On 5/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, ClusterChuck said:

For me, Picking a gm 7 is too easy. Go big or go home, Wild win in 5 games. 😁

Suuuuuure.  After last night are you sticking to that crazy pic?  BLUES baby

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Suuuuuure.  After last night are you sticking to that crazy pic?  BLUES baby

I made my pick and have to live with it. 😁 Can't change it now.
That's where the $$ is. :P

13 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Keep up this undisciplined BS and it'll a sweep.

13 hours ago, Tomdog said:

If the wild don’t get better at controlling their emotions it will be  a sweep 

Great minds think alike 😄

I'd say Evason started Fleury to avoid the question "Why didn't you start a 3 time SC winner and HOF goalie" And "that's why you got him" if we lost gm 1 with Talbot in.
None of the goals were going to be either goalie's fault but I hope Evason does start Talbot for game 2 since that's how we got here in the first place. Not riding 1 goalie.

My question for Evenson is what did you learn from last night?

From my view I think I would say.

Fleury really gave up some huge rebounds.

EEK and Kaprizov show very little chemestry when playing 4 on 4.

The team passed up on way too many shots in favor of a pass.

The team needs to take the puck deeper into the zone before turning and looking for a pass.

The team should use their speed to skate the puck around the O zone and make the Blues chase them.

And the biggest hurdle of all is how to not take penalties.

• Like 2

Throw out the last 2 * Seasons, I don't care for the current 1st round match ups.
What happened to the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 pairings?
Of Course the 2 Division winners get the bottom 2 teams AKA Wildcards, That's their earned prize along with Home ice.
After that, The Wild while having the 2nd most points in the West gets the 3rd spot. OK, Fine. But Our prize should be playing a lower seed (#6 Kings) Not the next best points team. 🤔
Other than Home ice, You might as well come in  5th or 6th. Almost feels like a penalty for doing so well.
1. Av's 119 pts
2. Flames 111
6. Kings 99
7. Stars 98
8. Preds 97

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Throw out the last 2 * Seasons, I don't care for the current 1st round match ups.
Of Course the 2 Division winners get the bottom 2 teams AKA Wildcards, That's their earned prize along with Home ice.
After that, The Wild while having the 2nd most points in the West gets the 3rd spot. OK, Fine. But Our prize should be playing a lower seed (#6 Kings) Not the next best points team. 🤔
Other than Home ice, You might as well come in  5th or 6th. Almost feels like a penalty for doing so well.
1. Av's 119 pts
2. Flames 111
6. Kings 99
7. Stars 98
8. Preds 97

Whoever thought of the current system needs to be shown the door. In reality the Wild should be playing Dallas. Really couldn’t of asked for a worse matchup than the Blues 

Edited by Jimtown guy

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

1. Av's 119 pts
2. Flames 111
6. Kings 99
7. Stars 98
8. Preds 97

44 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Whoever thought of the current system needs to be shown the door. In reality the Wild should be playing Dallas. Really couldn’t of asked for a worse matchup than the Blues 

System is what it is, guys.
Bottom line is, the Wild (or anyone else), simply need to beat the team that is put in front of them if they want to be called "Champions".

Don't get me wrong, I agree 1000% with you guys.
I always liked the division winners seeded 1 and 2 according to record, then the rest of the field seeded 3-8 regardless of division.
To me, this gives, at least on paper, the more gradually 'better' match ups as the SC Finals approach.

It's my understanding the current system is a throwback to one they used at some point either in the 70's or 80's where teams have to play out of their division.
While this may lead to more high profile match ups earlier on, like you guys have pointed out, some of the match ups are skewed and almost seem punishing for teams finishing in better positions.
Then of course, you could end up with lame 2nd round match ups....maybe even a lame Conference Finals.

With 1 and 2, then 3-8, you get "tamer" first round match ups (again, theoretically), but they are supposed to get better as the rounds progress and teams who finished in good position are rewarded not only with home ice, but being matched up with the 'lesser' teams early on.

So yea, I am on board with the system they used when I started following the NHL seriously in the mid 90's.

I've harped on his myself for a few years, but just come to accept, the NHL will do what the NHL will do.
I could also go on about the 'loser points' and how that skews team records and what the NHL considers .500 (hint, hint: a 35-35-12 record is NOT .500...it's 35-47, 12 games under...math hasn't changed in centuries.), but that is for another thread. ;) 

• Like 1

As for today's game, looks like Fleury will be back in net, and while I agree it wasn't his best game last time out, the team really does need to play better in front of him.

Nothing on the PP out of 6 chances? Took more penalties than the Blues, while they go and score on 2 of their 6 chances?
Yea, that's not gonna get it done.

Only area where Minnesota seemed better was at face offs and possession, but that means nothing if you can't cash in on that.

Looking for the Wild to take better advantage of opportunities, clean up their defensive zone better, and yea, Fleury, if he's gonna be in there, has to be better, particularly in controlling the puck.

Wild fans wanting a squared series heading into St. Louis!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

System is what it is, guys.
Bottom line is, the Wild (or anyone else), simply need to beat the team that is put in front of them if they want to be called "Champions".

Don't get me wrong, I agree 1000% with you guys.
I always liked the division winners seeded 1 and 2 according to record, then the rest of the field seeded 3-8 regardless of division.
To me, this gives, at least on paper, the more gradually 'better' match ups as the SC Finals approach.

It's my understanding the current system is a throwback to one they used at some point either in the 70's or 80's where teams have to play out of their division.
While this may lead to more high profile match ups earlier on, like you guys have pointed out, some of the match ups are skewed and almost seem punishing for teams finishing in better positions.
Then of course, you could end up with lame 2nd round match ups....maybe even a lame Conference Finals.

With 1 and 2, then 3-8, you get "tamer" first round match ups (again, theoretically), but they are supposed to get better as the rounds progress and teams who finished in good position are rewarded not only with home ice, but being matched up with the 'lesser' teams early on.

So yea, I am on board with the system they used when I started following the NHL seriously in the mid 90's.

I've harped on his myself for a few years, but just come to accept, the NHL will do what the NHL will do.
I could also go on about the 'loser points' and how that skews team records and what the NHL considers .500 (hint, hint: a 35-35-12 record is NOT .500...it's 35-47, 12 games under...math hasn't changed in centuries.), but that is for another thread. ;) 

Thanks....
Is what it is...Is all sorts of F'd up. ;)
Even St. Louis gets screwed by being the 4th best points total and yet a team with less gets Home Ice. 🤔
Top 4 should all get Home Ice. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (Series Even 1-1)

Watched some of the post game pressers from the St. Louis Blues after they won in Game 1 and lost in Game 2.

Very composed group.
They didn't seem overly pleased with themselves when they won, didn't get too low on themselves after losing, and credited Minnesota in both games for bringing a competitive edge, even though the scores in both wins and losses didn't appear close.

As a Wild fan, this worries me a bit, well, more like, hoping the Wild have a similar attitude.
Blues showing a solid air of professionalism that says, "Yea, we are ready for a long series and plan on coming out on top" is something that is forged from playoff success that Minnesota can surely adopt as their own as well.

I still feel the Wild can pull this series out, but also, it is going to take the entire series if they were to do that.

These two teams really do seem more alike than different, the only big thing in the Blues favor is they have many players that have "been there, done that" as a group that the Wild are still trying to piece together.
And it shows in the attitude in their pressers.

Minnesota Wild going with the same lineups as Games 1 and 2, including staying the course with MAF in net.

Blues are making changes to their blueline out of necessity: Nick Leddy and Robert Bortuzzo have ailments... Steven Santini and Calle Rosen in for them, although Marco Scandella, who has yet to see a playoff game this season, may draw in. He too has been out with an ailment.
Game time decision there.

Ville  Husso once again mans the net.

Attention to detail will be key for the Wild, since the Blues will have last change.
Fortunately for the Wild, lines 1-2 and 3-4 can be very versatile and interchangeable, and if Minnesota keeps to their assignments, it shouldn't matter who the Blues match up against them in terms of advantages or disadvantages.
Just means the team to better execute will gain.

St. Louis will be rockin for the continuation of this bruising contest.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (MIN Leads 2-1)

Wild impose their will, do everything they are supposed to, and MAF continues to show why trading for him was a good choice to this point.

Minnesota goes for series stranglehold 3-1 tomorrow, while St. Louis tries to find ways to square the series again.
Ville Husso has looked pretty mortal for the Blues.... does St. Louis try locking down the defense better around him and try winning a low scoring game?
Or do they go on a more all out assault and have guys like Ryan O'Reilly lead the way and outscore their problems thus far?

Vladimir Tarasenko, Jordan Kyrou, and Brayden Schenn need to join that attack train though. They've been relatively quiet so far.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It’s not over but Blues need next one.  

Not a "must win" for the Blues but a really really need to  Win, Like the Wild's 2nd game at home. 

• Like 1

Wild are in the lead in this series, but to me, Game 4 will be a test of how bad they want to win the set as the Blues are dealing with all sorts of issues on their blue line.
Torey Krug won't be in for Game 4 and there is speculation that he may be out for awhile with the nebulous LBI.

Nick Leddy and Robert Bortuzzo, who had missed Game 3 with injuries of their own, are drawing back in...but are they 100%, or are they being hurried back in because Krug, and I believe Scandella, have injuries, or nagging issues at best?

Given the Wild's newfound 'heavy style' of play, I would think they'd be smelling blood in the water here, knowing the Blues can't withstand a whole lot more on defense, and continue to grind and wear down those blue liners silly.

Also, Jordan Binnington is rumored to possibly start Game 4, making me think head coach Craig Berube is in some kind of damage control mode where he is trying for this series not to get away from his team.

Wild shouldn't take anything for granted of course.....assume that whomever is brought in for the Blues will play just as hard...but at the same time should be going after those St. Louis boys even tougher!

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (Series Even 2-2)
On 5/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wild are in the lead in this series, but to me, Game 4 will be a test of how bad they want to win the set as the Blues are dealing with all sorts of issues on their blue line.
Torey Krug won't be in for Game 4 and there is speculation that he may be out for awhile with the nebulous LBI.

Nick Leddy and Robert Bortuzzo, who had missed Game 3 with injuries of their own, are drawing back in...but are they 100%, or are they being hurried back in because Krug, and I believe Scandella, have injuries, or nagging issues at best?

Given the Wild's newfound 'heavy style' of play, I would think they'd be smelling blood in the water here, knowing the Blues can't withstand a whole lot more on defense, and continue to grind and wear down those blue liners silly.

Also, Jordan Binnington is rumored to possibly start Game 4, making me think head coach Craig Berube is in some kind of damage control mode where he is trying for this series not to get away from his team.

Wild shouldn't take anything for granted of course.....assume that whomever is brought in for the Blues will play just as hard...but at the same time should be going after those St. Louis boys even tougher!

You may have a new view on this after Teresenko's hat trick puts the Wild on the brink?  I like the Blues chances.  If I were coach I would keep Binnington in the nets for the rest of this series unless he lets in a bundle in lets say period 1.  I just dont see that happening. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to *** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: St. Louis Blues (C3) at Minnesota Wild (C2) - (St.L WINS 4-2) ***

Blues, beat up blue line and all, prove to still be too much for the Minnesota Wild and will now move on to face the Colorado Avalanche in Round 2.

Wild now move into the off season to try and answer some team questions, while their rival Blues look to regain former glory and raise the Stanley Cup for the 2nd time.

Jordan Binnington looked the part of a Cup winning goalie after initially, the team starting Ville Husso in net.
Something tells me that unless Binnington completely blows in in Game 1, he will be the go-to against Colorado.

Some new  hungry players on the Blues, but also, some guys who were around for the 1st Cup and want another sip.

What can be said about the Wild?
A surprise to many as they not only made the playoffs, but essentially transformed their entire team on the fly and made some believe (myself included), that they COULD get by St. Louis.

As good as MN played overall, and with as much heart as many of their players have, it is still obvious the team needs a little bit of everything in order to be able to make the playoffs every year and have a legit shot to win anything.

Maybe some low cost acquisitions would do the trick, maybe some trade of a valuable player for a haul of assets...who knows...

Grudging congratulations to the Blues.
Some may say they will have their hands full with the Avalanche.....but would it really be out of the realm of possibility the Avalanche will have their hands full with St. Louis?

rved.

St. Louis Blues win third straight to complete series comeback, conquer Minnesota Wild in 6

Minnesota fell 5-1 in Game 6 of its first-round Stanley Cup playoff series against host St. Louis on Thursday, dropping the best-of-seven 4-2. The Blues advance for the first time since 2019, when they won the franchise's first-ever Stanley Cup. They will face the Western Conference's No. 1 seed Colorado Avalanche in the second round.

The Wild have not advanced in the playoffs since 2014-15, losing in the first round each of the past five times they qualified.

Minnesota had been in control of this series at first, holding a 2-1 lead over St. Louis after Game 3. The Wild went on to lose the next three games by a combined score of 15-5.

To try staving off elimination, Wild coach Dean Evason turned from Marc-Andre Fleury to Cam Talbot in net for Game 6. Fleury, who was acquired by Minnesota at the trade deadline, played well early on, but the reigning Vezina Trophy winner was particularly leaky in Game 4 and Game 5 (.875 SV%, 4.10 GAA).

Talbot hadn't recorded a regular-season loss since March 1 but was still seated behind Fleury to start the playoffs. Thursday marked Talbot's first game action since April 28.

St. Louis took advantage and challenged Talbot out of the gate. Nick Leddy put the Blues up 1-0 in the first and St. Louis piled on in the second with Ryan O'Reilly, Tyler Bozak and Vladimir Tarasenko scoring in a span of just over nine minutes.

"It was a tough, tough battle,'' Bozak said. "That's a very good team over there. It's kind of a shame we played in the first round of the playoffs. It was two of the top teams in the West and they deserve a lot of credit for the season they had.''

Matt Dumba recorded the only Minnesota goal early in the third period, but the Wild never gained any more traction. Colton Parayko eventually sealed the deal for St. Louis with an empty-net goal.

Talbot finished with 22 saves and an .846 SV%.

"This is one of the most special groups I've been a part of,'' Talbot said. "We're really building something here. So, as much as this hurts right now, I'm proud of the guys, proud of the way we battled all season long.''

If Minnesota waited too long to orchestrate its goalie change, St. Louis certainly did not.

When the Wild took its 2-1 lead, Blues' coach Craig Berube made the switch from Ville Husso to Jordan Binnington in the crease. Binnington had not won a postseason start (0-9) since St. Louis clinched the Cup in 2019, but his 28-save performance helped secure the Blues' Game 4 win and gave the team new life.

"It's just his demeanor, you know, he loves this kind of stuff,'' Berube said.

Binnington turned aside 25 shots in Game 6 and allowed only five goals in three games to push the Blues on to the next round.

"We had a good first period and kind of weathered the storm,'' Binnington said. "They came out hard and they were playing desperate and I think we matched that and then we came out in the second period and played really hard.''

As Binnington continuously slammed the door, Minnesota's offense just kept drying up. Outside of Kirill Kaprizov -- who registered a team-leading 7 goals and 8 points in the series -- and Joel Eriksson Ek (three goals, five points), few of the Wild's other forwards had much impact. St. Louis generated far more balanced scoring, with multiple players scoring three of more goals in the series.

"There are a lot of emotions coming home and the building was electric and, yeah, everybody was kind of caught watching a bit and obviously Binner did an amazing job of shutting the door there early and then Ledds makes a great play and a great goal,'' O'Reilly said. "That just kind of helped us kind of settle down and start you know, building our game.''