*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (NYR WIN 4-3) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

PIT vs NYR  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances In Their Quest For Lord Stanley?

• 1- Pens in 4 as they sweep away the dreamin Rangers
    • 2- Pens in 5 as they play like it's 2016 or 2017 and have little trouble against the Blueshirts
    • 3- Pens in 6 as the series gets heated and tense, but the birds show they are better in the end
    • 4- Pens in 7 as they break the bad news to the Rangers fans, up close and personal, in MSG
    • 5- Rangers in a 4-game sweep, showing the Pens are yesterday's news and have no business being here
    • 6- Rangers in 5 as they grow and mature into real contenders, and show Pitts the door in the process
    • 7- Rangers in 6 as the series shifts many times, but NY proves they are just that much hungrier
    • 8- Rangers in 7...the Pens give all they have, but it just isn't enough and the elite Pits core realizes, they may never be here again!

This poll is closed to new votes

Fantastic start for the Penguins. The crowd is rocking and the longer this goes on the more difficult it is going to become for the Rangers to advance. The Rangers offense is making Domingue look like he is a Vezina trophy contender. The goalie sure has stepped it up. 

17 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I won't be quick to count out the Pens even with no Crosby. Malkin always raises his game when 87 is out and I predict he'll keep his stupid-short fuse in check tonight to get the win.

And there it is - Carter. So the Pens score first and the Rangers were already kind of chasing the play. Long way to go and these games have been crazy, goals coming in bunches so who knows but I think Pitt closes it out tonight.

Wow now they score again...Rust...2-0.

Lots of game left, and we have seen the Rangers come back on the Penguins before, but you are right.... Penguins have shown they are more than just Sidney Crosby, and have gotten off to the best possible start they could have hoped for.

And the Rangers now take the lead while playing on a 4 minute double minor PP.

Shesterkin with the streeeeeeetch pass to Zibanejad, who takes the shot, Domingue saves, but a huge rebound later, Chris Kreider gives NY the 3-2 lead.
NY still on the back end of the double minor PP, so they could get another.

Pittsburgh fans just stunned...

Finally Zibanejad - trying to make up for lost time I guess - 2 in a row soclose to the HT shorthanded.

Both these teams deserve to be tied going into the 3rd.

edit:  Wow Kreider with a 60' shot and Louuu can't handle it

And it's Copp with ENer. I really wanted to see a G7 from this series.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Going back to New York for game 7.

The Penguins did not lose this game because Sidney Crosby was out , but because they didn't get the puck bounces that the Rangers did at the end. 

Game 7 should be a great one. I do hope Sidney Crosby is able to play because each team should be at full strength. 

6 minutes ago, Toronto Jules said:

After all that great play by Domingue the possible game winner is given up on a horrible goal. 

Yeah for Pens' fans that one had to hurt. Because you're so right Lou's been playing lights out all series. I don't recall any real bad goals. Except maybe that last one.

Rangers go 2/3 on the PP Pens go 0/3 - obviously a big difference getting kills - and then Ziba finally starts hitting the net. Sid or no Sid Pens are up against it now...tons of motivation not to lose 3 straight but the momentum is all with NY.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (Series Even 3-3)

Sad way for a pretty good game to end. Pens had their chances, but did not capitalize. If I'm the Rangers, I just shoot everything I can in game 7.   Louis has played ok, but he's still so shaky.   Hopefully the Pens can get Crosby and Rakell back for game 7, but with head injuries, I don't think they'll see Crosby.

That is the thing, the Penguins had chances but did not capitalize. Maybe that had something to do with the Rangers defense and Shesterkin, but they did have multiple chances. The way the Rangers broke the tie was on a weak goal which was terrible because the game was great. 

I always wish for teams to be at full strength, especially for these sorts of games but injuries are part of the game. The Crosby although I don't know if Trouba intentionally tried to injure him is not good at all and I do hope he is okay enough to play. 

8 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Louis has played ok, but he's still so shaky. 

wow that's interesting I see Shesterkin as the shaky one and Lou mostly calm and TCBiz. But that Kreider goal just can't happen - he just played it so goofy - stuck out his glove and his blocker like...I'm sure he figured he'd catch it but with both hands out in front like that...asking for trouble.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Agree.  It does really seem like Shesterkin is in his own head questioning his confidence.  It's a great way to fail as a goaltender at the NHL level.

For Louis though, it seems like the closer Jarry comes to being healthy, the more worried Louis gets.  Definitely wasn't as calm tonight.  Lots of rebounds that need to be controlled better.

Louis has pretty much been what Pens fans expected. When you can score seven goals in a game, you win. If you don't, well . . . .

He's been pretty good at smothering pucks hit square in his middle, but outside of that, he has had troubles. Every time there's a shot from the point, I cringe. 

Can he win game seven, sure, but the Pens are running out of magic, and players.   A little noticed fact last night was that  Boyle only took two shifts and went down five minutes into the game. He's a key on the PK, and the  Rangers scored two out of three on their PP.  Losing Crosby, Rakell and Doumolin on the Pens PP and the mountain is that much higher.  If they are all out, the Pens need to keep the game at 5v5, otherwise the big advantage goes to the Rangers.

Edited by nossagog

10 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Shesterkin is in his own head questioning his confidence. It's a great way to fail as a goaltender at the NHL level.

True true. When goalies struggle with confidence they generally get the hook because it's obvious. Shesterkin was fighting his demons and you could see it when Malkin scored. If he plays that breakaway more aggressively, comes out 3 or 4 more strides he would've had a better chance.

Shesterkin had a fabulous season but hasn't played as well in the POs. Pens' shooters see cracks in his mental armor and are peppering him from every angle. They can do that even more. If Shesterkin doesn't revert to his regular season form in G7 he won't be in net when the final buzzer sounds (again).

19 hours ago, nossagog said:

Well Crosby is out for game 6 with a concussion.  If diagnosed as a concussion, can't see him coming back for game seven if that is necessary.   Quite shame as his line has been pretty dominant this series.  Gotta say this probably swings the series in favor of the Rangers.  I give Malkin 30 minutes before he starts retaliating badly.

Yep that cheap shot saved the Rangers playoffs....and may have doomed the flightless birds.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lol.  C'mon...  Wasn't a cheap shot.  Didn't even earn a hearing, which it shouldn't have.  And, wasn't even a penalty.  It was a body check that Crosby tried to avoid, lowered his body which lowered his head into the elbow.  Just because he's Crosby doesn't mean he has a quarterback's red shirt on and can't be hit.  It was bad luck.  It wasn't cheap in any way.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then it looked like he was avoiding the hit and he stuck the chicken wings out there to get some piece of him and it worked....

From NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-crosby-tristan-jarry-could-play-for-penguins-in-game-7-against-rangers/c-334076968?tid=333424072

According to that, Crosby, Rakell, AND Jarry could be available for Game 7.
They were all at practice and said to be looking and feeling fine.

For Jarry, would be one hell of a 1st game back if he really does draw in.
No games played for quite some time, and then, BOOM! "Oh, BTW, you gotta go win us a Game 7!"

Just now, Toronto Jules said:

If Jarry returns for this game the Rangers really need to pepper the net hard with shots to see if Jarry is really ready. 

Yes...but then, one could say that about ANY goaltender.
I mean, is there a time when "peppering" or "testing" 🥱 the goalie ISN'T a good idea??

Jarry not playing as long as he has simply means he may not be fully up to game speed....OR, he might be so refreshed and his body fully charged, that the Rangers may not believe what they are seeing out of him.

Pittsburgh defense is gonna have to play as stout as they did (well, for the most part anyways) for Louie Domingue, and the the Pens' top guys are gonna have to play like their top guys....all the while THEY 'pepper and test' Shesterkin.
I mean, really. It is that fundamental, and teams KNOW this..... but many times, the defense they are up against has other plans.

First things first though.... no one said Jarry, or even Crosby and Rakell WILL play, simply that they MAY be available.
Is that fodder for the beat writers and columnists to distract from the Penguins' losing a 3-1 series lead? Could be as well.

Lots of gamesmanship on the ice, in the media, and from coaches mouths go on this time of year.
Us lowly fans are simply gonna have to tune in to find out!  :) 

It is a good idea to puck the goal on the net and test any goalie, but an untested goalie for a long time and one who hasn't seen game action it could really show that the goalie really wasn't ready for game play yet if he lets in a few soft goals really fast. If that is the case don't be surprised to see Dominigue making an appearance. 

Both defenses really need to be in top form and blocking shots and keeping their opponents clear of the front of the net so that the goalie can see the pucks being shot. 

If Jarry is good to go is it a no-brainer you start him? Throwing him into G7 on the road, where the Pens have yet to win a game this series, seems like a big ask.

But you guys said it right it can go either way. The rest and recovery means he’s super fresh and on top of his game. Or a month is just too long; he can’t be expected to deliver his best, especially in a pressure cooker G7 at MSG. But I’m sure he’s dying to play especially because it’s G7 and I expect Sullivan will start him if he can.