*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (NYR WIN 4-3) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

PIT vs NYR  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances In Their Quest For Lord Stanley?

• 1- Pens in 4 as they sweep away the dreamin Rangers
    • 2- Pens in 5 as they play like it's 2016 or 2017 and have little trouble against the Blueshirts
    • 3- Pens in 6 as the series gets heated and tense, but the birds show they are better in the end
    • 4- Pens in 7 as they break the bad news to the Rangers fans, up close and personal, in MSG
    • 5- Rangers in a 4-game sweep, showing the Pens are yesterday's news and have no business being here
    • 6- Rangers in 5 as they grow and mature into real contenders, and show Pitts the door in the process
    • 7- Rangers in 6 as the series shifts many times, but NY proves they are just that much hungrier
    • 8- Rangers in 7...the Pens give all they have, but it just isn't enough and the elite Pits core realizes, they may never be here again!

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Rangers went after him almost right away!

I was afraid that Louie Domingue would let in the first shot thrown at him and be the goat (in the older sense.) letting his mates down after 4 hours of play. After awhile it seemed like kismet that instead, he’d prevail.

I think they’re still tooting car horns around St. Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Have not been watching all the doings in this game (been on some Twins baseball and the Wsh-Fla game), but seems to me, the Rangers remembered its just Louis Domingue in net, and NOT someone like Arturs Irbe, Dwayne Roloson or The Hamburglar when he had that improbable run.

Is the score indicative of how the game really is going?

A Domingue crazy run would have made a nice story, but if you are Pittsburgh, you are counting the minutes till you can get either Jarry or DeSmith back because it won't take long for Igor Shesterkin to round back into Vezina form and Mr. Domingue is nowhere NEAR his class.

Gritty goal by Sidney Crosby just now.
Ranger defenders all over him, he nonetheless powered through and got one past Shesterkin.

Late goal too.
You either love those, or hate'em depending on which side of the ledger you are on when its scored, and Penguin fans are absolutely loving that one as the 2nd period winds down.

Score now at 3-2 NY, Domingue looks like he has settled in making some good stops prior to Crosby's goal, but still a minute or so left in the 2nd and a big 3rd to go.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (Series Even 1-1)

Rangers just too much for the Penguins this go-round.

Shesterkin looked very Vezina-like, and Domingue....well, errrr, he didn't.
Pens tried pushing back, but the Rangers were just more determined and organized after letting that marathon Game 1 get away from them.

Silver lining for the Pens?
They stole a road game from a favored Rangers team and go back home starting a best of five now.

6 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Looks like that will have to be counting on Jarry's foot healing quickly, as DeSmith just had core surgery and is done for the season.

Been super busy with home life and a bit behind the times with NHL news.  Wow ...this is a huge blow for the Pens.  I knew Jarry was dealing with issues before the Playoffs started, had no idea DeSmith was in worse shape.  

Rangers have to take advantage of this opportunity ......

• Like 2

They sure blew it open in the 3rd last night…a thing of beauty for the Rangers. G2 was kind of / almost a must-win for them. No points from Zibanejad look out Pens if he gets going.

And Crosby’s goal was a thing of beauty too. It showed how useless stick checks are against him they’re just wasted on that guy. They don’t even slow him down. He powered thru 3 defenders, snagged the rebound before anyone else knew it was loose and fired it into the net. 

• Like 1

Rangers not playing terrible per se.... but they aren't playing great either.
Decidedly mediocre.

And the Penguins seem to be capitalizing on every single Ranger mistake, big or small.

4-1 Penguins with 4 minutes left in the 1st.
Evan Freakin Rodrigues with a 3 pt game in the 1st so far... 2G, 1A

Safe to say though, that is NOT Vezina Shesterkin we are seeing out there.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (PIT Leads 2-1)

Well the Pens are lasting longer than what I thought with Jarry out, and then the DeSmith injury.  Still don't see how they can move on if they don't tighten up some of the defensive lapses.  They need to keep it simple in front of Louis, the Letang goof up on Rangers shorthanded goal is the classic example. Make the simple play off the boards with the puck, don't try to play the puck through the oncoming forechecker. 

But at least they bottom six had a great night last night, which is a key for any team in the playoffs. With Zucker back, and possible Rakell for game four, hopefully they can continue to run four lines all game.  The Rangers seemed to have issues with the Pens forecheck again last night. 

@nossagog

I have thought the Rangers were a top heavy team that has benefited from all-world goaltending. Their youthful players are learning about playoff hockey and it will benefit them, but not in time to win this series. 

I think the Pens are deeper and, like the Caps are doing to the Panthers, playing harder 1-12 everywhere on the ice.

For the Pens to go deep this year Jarry needs some water from Lourdes because I think Louis Donimgue has a Micheal Leighton-esque shelf-life.

This series has been entertaining .

Haven't had much opportunity to watch much of this game today, but seems the Penguins have been all over the Rangers with the perfect mix of pressure and defense.
Is it due to their venerable core? Could be.

My pick was Rangers in 7, but I also mentioned that it was entirely possible for Pittsburgh to turn things up a notch or three and take the series themselves...... if this current 4-1 Pens score holds up, they will be going back to NY with a tough 3-1 series lead an on their way to wresting this series away from what I believe were the favored Rangers who apparently, still have some playoff growing to do.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (PIT Leads 3-1)
On 4/30/2022 at 8:26 PM, B21 said:

I cast my annual "Pens' Opponent In 4" vote.  

Like Bob Dylan said, "the times they are a changin'...".  I think this is the swan song for this group.  Crosby will be a Pen for life. Probably Letang, too.  But...longtime President Dave Moorehouse just resigned. My guess is Fenway Sports Group really wants to put their mark on this franchise now and to me...gut feeling...that means Malkin does not get resigned.  If that's the thought process, I can't argue. That's $9,500,000 million in cap space that could be spent elsewhere...on younger players, future core, etc.  They go for it until Crosby can't go anymore. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, B21 said:

My prediction is already wrong. Dad gum. :)

Duuuuude.
That is some seriously effective shaman mumbo jumbo chit you are pulling off here! 😄

12 hours ago, Toronto Jules said:

If Igor Shesterkin continues to struggle a bit would you think the Rangers would have it in them to go with Alexandar Georgiev in game 5?

The Rags' D, team D, last night especially was just ... out to lunch. Igor has not delivered his A game in this series, more like his B game, which is still very good. The 7 goals and the losses in general are more about the Rags' defenders out of position, backing up at the blue line and letting the Pens get away with murder in the paint. Even a Vezina-caliber goalie in that situation will look bad.

To your question though, I think I would start Georgiev in G5. The Rangers need a big shakeup and they need it now.

I could quote myself from the last game. I just did not see the Penguins forecheck giving the Rangers Defense so many issues. Its not like their pounding them hard, but they're making them make fast decisions. As bad as the Pens looked in the last three weeks of the regular season, that's how good they're looking at the moment. 

But it takes four games to win the series, so I am not counting out the Rangers or Shesterkin.  There's no way that I would start Georgiev, I think it would be a confidence kill for Shesterkin going forward.  You would not want to loose that game with Georgiev and have Shesterkin thinking all summer about how he played. 

Uh, as a fan of a team in the same conference I don't think I'd mind Igor "thinking" about his game over the summer.

Especially if he's wifty and it blows his confidence.

The outcome of losing with Georgiev could motivate Shesterkin and push him to be better, and that would suck for all non-Rangers fans. 

Edited by mojo1917
said something not funny

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Rags' D, team D, last night especially was just ... out to lunch. Igor has not delivered his A game in this series, more like his B game, which is still very good. The 7 goals and the losses in general are more about the Rags' defenders out of position, backing up at the blue line and letting the Pens get away with murder in the paint. Even a Vezina-caliber goalie in that situation will look bad.

To your question though, I think I would start Georgiev in G5. The Rangers need a big shakeup and they need it now.

I think you you are on point with your remarks. The D is out of sorts and that is messing up a lot of what Igor is attempting to do unsuccessfully. The Rangers have the D to turn things around. Don't know if that will happen, but their backs are know up against the wall so we shall see what happens from here.

I do think they need to start Georgiev in game 5 to just give it another look. 

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It will be Igor.  But, if I were Gallant, I'd give him just 1 soft goal against before pulling him quickly.  His poor play and goals against haven't all been on the team in front of him these 2 bad games.  He's given up some very weak, soft goals.  He's the essence of a goaltender that's fighting the puck right now.  And, if he gives another one of those weak goals up, I yank him quickly.

I know there has been some talk of Georgiev, but you are probably right with the team on the brink of elimination they would have to go with the #1 goalie. 

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Gallant has already said it will be Igor.

Well then there ya go. I just hope he is on his game for the sake of the Rangers or they could really be up against the fence really quick if he lets in 3 or 4 soft ones fast. 

21 hours ago, nossagog said:

There's no way that I would start Georgiev, I think it would be a confidence kill for Shesterkin going forward.  You would not want to loose that game with Georgiev and have Shesterkin thinking all summer about how he played. 

Yeah you're right I didn't think it through. Of course you have to use your best when you're facing elimination. And Gallant says it'll be Shesterkin.

Last call for the NY Rangers?
Could be.

Penguins are smelling blood and I expect they are gonna want to put this thing away and do it early.
So far in the contest, it feels like both teams are playing a bit carefully.

Not many SOG by either side (Rangers have yet to register one as I type this... 7 minutes in), so yea, has the look and feel of two sparring fighters carefully  looking for an opening.

The big story seems Igor Shesterkin, and I can understand why. Even though he is still a playoff newb for all intents and purposes.
But, you know, there is a GREAT story at the other end of the ice.
Louie "Left For Dead" Domingue.

Yes...THAT Louie "F^%$#ing A" Domingue!

Everybody and their zamboni driver (myself included, and my zamboni driver took a sick day!) thought the Pens were toast once the reality of no Jarry and no DeSmith became apparent and it would be up to the former journeyman, mostly minor leaguer to get it done in net.

If Domingue helps get his team to the next round against the "mighty" Shesterkin and the "untouchable" NY Rangers...well then, the closest Cinderella type story I can think of, even though I was quite young at the time, is Arturs Irbe with the San Jose Sharks making an improbable run, including, if I recall correctly, eliminating a powerful Detroit Red Wings team!

Louie "Call the DFA Bus" Domingue.
The TB Lightning might have goofed letting this raw gem get away from them!  :bigteeth: 

Hell, this is a great story I want to see keep going!
^%$# it!
Go Pens! 😄