*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (NYR WIN 4-3) ***

PIT vs NYR  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances In Their Quest For Lord Stanley?

• 1- Pens in 4 as they sweep away the dreamin Rangers
    • 2- Pens in 5 as they play like it's 2016 or 2017 and have little trouble against the Blueshirts
    • 3- Pens in 6 as the series gets heated and tense, but the birds show they are better in the end
    • 4- Pens in 7 as they break the bad news to the Rangers fans, up close and personal, in MSG
    • 5- Rangers in a 4-game sweep, showing the Pens are yesterday's news and have no business being here
    • 6- Rangers in 5 as they grow and mature into real contenders, and show Pitts the door in the process
    • 7- Rangers in 6 as the series shifts many times, but NY proves they are just that much hungrier
    • 8- Rangers in 7...the Pens give all they have, but it just isn't enough and the elite Pits core realizes, they may never be here again!

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Toronto Jules said:

I know there has been some talk of Georgiev, but you are probably right with the team on the brink of elimination they would have to go with the #1 goalie. 

Gallant has already said it will be Igor.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Losing Crosby last night was a huge loss for the Pens last night.  Yeah Jake scored another goal but the mixed lines from the top did not gel very well.  If he's out long term, I think the Rangers will bang on Malkin even more because they know that they can get him off the ice like they did last night.  Hopefully Crosby comes back, along with Rakell and Doumolin, to give the Pens more of a full team for game 6. 

Which is why I said earlier I thought Vezina Shesterkin was in there. But, APPARENTLY, I laid on the Juju magic a bit too strong! 

That is spot on. Awesome OT, pretty clean game played rockem sockem hard.  Both teams with excellent chances finished with an excellent goal.  To bad every game isn’t like that. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Gallant has already said it will be Igor.

Well then there ya go. I just hope he is on his game for the sake of the Rangers or they could really be up against the fence really quick if he lets in 3 or 4 soft ones fast. 

21 hours ago, nossagog said:

There's no way that I would start Georgiev, I think it would be a confidence kill for Shesterkin going forward.  You would not want to loose that game with Georgiev and have Shesterkin thinking all summer about how he played. 

Yeah you're right I didn't think it through. Of course you have to use your best when you're facing elimination. And Gallant says it'll be Shesterkin.

Last call for the NY Rangers?
Could be.

Penguins are smelling blood and I expect they are gonna want to put this thing away and do it early.
So far in the contest, it feels like both teams are playing a bit carefully.

Not many SOG by either side (Rangers have yet to register one as I type this... 7 minutes in), so yea, has the look and feel of two sparring fighters carefully  looking for an opening.

The big story seems Igor Shesterkin, and I can understand why. Even though he is still a playoff newb for all intents and purposes.
But, you know, there is a GREAT story at the other end of the ice.
Louie "Left For Dead" Domingue.

Yes...THAT Louie "F^%$#ing A" Domingue!

Everybody and their zamboni driver (myself included, and my zamboni driver took a sick day!) thought the Pens were toast once the reality of no Jarry and no DeSmith became apparent and it would be up to the former journeyman, mostly minor leaguer to get it done in net.

If Domingue helps get his team to the next round against the "mighty" Shesterkin and the "untouchable" NY Rangers...well then, the closest Cinderella type story I can think of, even though I was quite young at the time, is Arturs Irbe with the San Jose Sharks making an improbable run, including, if I recall correctly, eliminating a powerful Detroit Red Wings team!

Louie "Call the DFA Bus" Domingue.
The TB Lightning might have goofed letting this raw gem get away from them!  :bigteeth: 

Hell, this is a great story I want to see keep going!
^%$# it!
Go Pens! 😄

Posted (edited)

And as I finished my last post, the Domingue lead Penguins take the lead!

Jake Guentzel with the opening tally, 1-0.
Persistent lil devil he was too! Oh wait, persistent lil water fowl.... Pens fans don't want to hear about Devils in any form! :ph34r: 

Rangers now need to dig deep and find some answers.
Just over 10 minutes in, lots of game left, but what they are feeling right now, along with the morgue-like MSG crowd, CAN'T be good.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Penguins doing a hell of a job keeping the Rangers to mostly low percentage shots.

If Domingue is to show any warts to his game (and as a journeyman goalie, he certainly has them!), his Pittsburgh teammates are making damned sure the Rangers don't find out what they are!

Frank "Useful Spare Part" Vatrano trying to stir some stuff up....something, anything...in front of Louie Domingue, trying to perhaps get in his head.
Penguins aren't allowing any such nonsense, however.

Meanwhile, John "Don't Call Me Dan" Marino has been doing a very good job disrupting things whenever the Rangers get something going in the offensive zone.

Looks like Ryan Reaves, who seemed to take sadistic pleasure in checking the hell out of young Marino in the opening game, didn't do his intimidation job well enough!
Marino is none the worse for wear and playing well!

Time for some Ranger goonery? Perhaps... :shifty: 

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meanwhile, John "Don't Call Me Dan" Marino has been doing a very good job disrupting things whenever the Rangers get something going in the offensive zone.

Looks like Ryan Reaves, who seemed to take sadistic pleasure in checking the hell out of young Marino in the opening game, didn't do his intimidation job well enough!
Marino is none the worse for wear and playing well!

Time for some Ranger goonery? Perhaps... :shifty: 

You know Ryan Reaves has some goonery up his jersey sleeve. 

I got a bad feeling for the Rangers watching the pregame. They showed Reaves in the locker room fired up strutting around reading names off the roster, loud, having fun, energized ready to go. Meanwhile the rest of the guys - even the guys he “announced” just sat there. No smiles no hi fives nothing they looked like they’d been embalmed. 

They look better than G4 but that isn’t saying much. 

26 minutes ago, Toronto Jules said:

I really thought after the Rangers killed off that 5 on 3 penalty right at the start of the game that would have really got them going. It really didn't. 

Exactly. After that locker room scene I wondered how they’d fire themselves up. They have a great kill early but still don’t get their first SOG till like 8 mins in. I was expecting a much more competitive series now I won’t be surprised if it’s over tonight.

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Exactly. After that locker room scene I wondered how they’d fire themselves up. They have a great kill early but still don’t get their first SOG till like 8 mins in. I was expecting a much more competitive series now I won’t be surprised if it’s over tonight.

What really surprises me is the Rangers are on home ice and they are playing with no intensity at all. I don't know what they are waiting for. Adam Fox seems no where to be found on the ice. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Toronto Jules said:

on home ice and they are playing with no intensity at all. ... Adam Fox seems no where to be found on the ice. 

One nice pass by Fox and one nice play on D - that's all I counted from him. And where's Zibanejad been this series? He's got a bit more jump tonight but he's also the one who let Guentzal slip by and score the 1st goal.

Hard to know what happened this series. The Rags may not be real deep and Shesterkin hasn't looked like the Vezina favorite that he is - but their intensity is for sh-- and it's not just tonight. The Pens are good and their top line is killing it but they shouldn't be whipping the Rangers like this.

wow that was fast...2-0 to 3-3...nice to see Fox get one...finally got some forecheck pressure.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Ruh, roh...
Like Wile E. Coyote when he looks down after standing on thin air for a few seconds, Domingue has fallen off the cliff!

Major push by NY sees them blow past the Pens and claim the lead.
3 goals in what? Less than 2 or 3 minutes?

That's not very Irbe-like, Domingue....

Posted (edited)

Yeah the players finally woke up so the crowd did too. Giving up that 3rd one though...yikes. I don't know if the Rangers can outright win a period.

No Crosby to start the 3rd. Trouba nailed him good I can see why he'd be shaken up after that hit.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
18 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And Shesterkin goes ahead and Torontos the puck to the opposition, and just like that, the Penguins tie and take some of the steam away from NY!

With a gaping 5 hole, and his stick no where close to helping to cover that gaping 5 hole.  He just looks like a goaltender that's in his own head.  He looks awful.

Alright…G6 Friday night. Glad to see they didn’t fold it up after going down 2. Can’t exactly call it a convincing win but the Rangers finally brought some fightback to their game. 

I hope Crosby is okay to go Friday he took a hard hit but he’s got a hard head he should be fine.

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Alright…G6 Friday night. Glad to see they didn’t fold it up after going down 2. Can’t exactly call it a convincing win but the Rangers finally brought some fightback to their game. 

I hope Crosby is okay to go Friday he took a hard hit but he’s got a hard head he should be fine.

Crosby leaving the game was huge for Pittsburgh and I hope his injury whatever it is isn't too bad . If he is out for the next game or an extended period of time that could change a lot in the next two games. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to *** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (NYR WIN 4-3) ***
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 unpinned this topic