*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TBL WIN 4-3) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

TBL vs TOR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Whose History Gets Enhanced This Series?

• 1- Lightning win in 4 proving once again, Leaves® in the NHL always fall in Spring
    • 2- Lightning in 5... Toronto shows a bit of game, but still, not anywhere near enough to get by the defending champs
    • 3- Lightning in 6. Leafs play tough, play hard, but the cool n calm Bolts show them how it's done anyways.
    • 4- Lightning in 7. Epic series filled with tough play, fancy goals, stellar goaltending....but sees Toronto fall just short.
    • 5- Leafs in 4. New Toronto, old Tampa Bay. Leafs on a mission!
    • 6- Leafs in 5. Bolts can't quite come up with the right formula this time, and Toronto looks damned good putting away the defending champs.
    • 7- Leafs in 6. Great series that sees the Maple Leafs seemingly always a step ahead of the Lightning
    • 8- Leafs in 7. Toronto caps a great series doing something no one has been able to do in a long time: Close out Vasilevskiy and his crew. Leafs nation is ecstatic at home!

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yep. He did.

He watched one too many Toronto prior playoff series before the game :ph34r:

The Sportsnet guys showed that one multiple times. Looks like it *may* have gone off Campbell's stick. Hard to tell, but that was GAME OVER and back in Toronto. What a moment. 

He may redeem himself. Or, Kerfoot might. 

More likely one of Matthews, Kucherov, Stamkos, Marner, Nylander, Hedman will win this one. 

Nylander is good in these situations. Guy is a hot/cold kind of guy but in moments like this he seems to really elevate. 

Good Will for the Leafs nation thrill, or Kucherov for the parade is off in Toronto. 

When you have the champs on the ropes, you gotta knock'em out...or you're going to get knocked out. 

No lessons learned by the Leafs. Tampa about to give them the master class on Saturday. 

Matthews so, so, so close to ending this and is often the case, the team that almost scores gives up a goal right after. Have seen that so many times. 

First time in my life I paced around the entire OT. Finally on the couch in stunned near disbeLEAF. 

Why must this ALWAYS happen?

Edited by 3 Palmateers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If the Leafs lose this series (a good bet), Alex Kerfoot will be the GOAT and not the good kind. His name will be up there like a Bill Buckner in Boston. 

I wish I could not be a sky is falling fan, but when your team NEVER wins a playoff series and yours has won back-to-back Cups  it's not exactly apples to apples. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (Series Even 3-3)
9 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

When you have the champs on the ropes, you gotta knock'em out...or you're going to get knocked out. 

No lessons learned by the Leafs. Tampa about to give them the master class on Saturday. 

Matthews so, so, so close to ending this and is often the case, the team that almost scores gives up a goal right after. Have seen that so many times. 

First time in my life I paced around the entire OT. Finally on the couch in stunned near disbeLEAF. 

Why must this ALWAYS happen?

Matthews wiping out was kind of funny....felt a tad bad for him.

Lightning have chased this series since Game 1.

Leaves® win a game, Bolts tie them.....all the while maintaining their perfect record from the last two playoff runs of wins right after a loss.
That has been the pattern and if it holds for G7...well, then, congrats to Toronto for a job well done.

Do the Lightning have what it takes to win back to back games finally and take this series away? Absolutely.
But some key guys, how had previously been quiet for the most part, need to show up.....like they did last night: Nikita Kucherov and Brayden Point!
And a mention to Alex Killorn as well, who is generally an "ok" regular season performer, but usually comes alive, ala Claude Lemieux (even the agitation portions!), in the playoffs.

Toronto has done a good job so far containing all three of those guys, and Kucherov in particular, who wears his emotions on his sleeves, has been highly frustrated.
If one of Point, Kucherov, or Killorn come alive for Game 7, then look out Leaves®!

As for Toronto, the media keeps heaping piles of praise for the likes of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner...... and I am not saying they don't deserve kudos.
But once again, I will say the one hero who isn't getting nearly enough credit in the headlines (more like just a mention here and there), is Jack Campbell.

If the Lightning had 'broken' Jack Campbell at certain points when they had the opportunity to do so, this series would have been over already in favor of the Lightning.
I really do believe some offensive heroics by the Big Four forwards doesn't happen if Jack Campbell doesn't keep his team in the game, or protect a lead, by coming up with some huge, sometimes improbable, saves at certain points in the series.

Campbell has looked pretty bad when the Bolts have beaten him, but at no point do I believe the Champs have 'broken' him.
Lightning need to break him for Game 7.
If they do that, it really won't matter what Toronto's forwards try to do.

Game 7 is on!

I thought Vaselievski brandished his championship resume' in the last 30 minutes of that game. 

the last 10 of the 3rd and all of overtime he stopped high quality chances and was the reason there wasn't a handshake line.

There is something that feels different about this Leaves® team. 

They weren't crestfallen after the Point goal.

They didn't look like this was it and now they're ****ed.

Entertaining games in this series. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I thought Vaselievski brandished his championship resume' in the last 30 minutes of that game. 

the last 10 of the 3rd and all of overtime he stopped high quality chances and was the reason there wasn't a handshake line.

There is something that feels different about this Leaves® team. 

They weren't crestfallen after the Point goal.

They didn't look like this was it and now they're ****ed.

Entertaining games in this series. 

Damn!

'Brandished' AND 'crestfallen' in the same post!
You get a like based on those alone! 😄

• Haha 1

Leafs nation very upset about the officiating, but they always are. Everyone knows the NHL is one of the most poorly officiated leagues there's ever been. Someday, full-replay review needs to be utilized to make this sport more legitimate. 

Usually, I'm not one to go on about missed calls, but when you're doling out 5-on-3's in critical moments and you don't call something like this?

Leafs feel like they got jobbed, and it's hard to disagree with them. 

The Matthews non-comments on officiating were something. He's not happy and shouldn't be.

Usually, this team just feels like it's going to lose. You can smell it all over them. This time feels different.  It guarantees nothing, but when Matthews says THIS, things are definitely different:

This team has NEVER put its "balls on the line". It's been a shrinking violet in every single series final game it has ever been in. The talk is different. Will their walk be?

I think the boys are going to play their hearts out. Of that I have little concern. 

Jack Campbell admittedly gave up the "worst goal of his career" vs. Montreal in Game 7 last year. The team has demons, but Jack's are bigger. We'll know right away if he's a help or hindrance. He can't give up a softy in the beginning of the game. 

Sadly, I have watched every single game this season and can't watch Game 7. Very upsetting they couldn't get it done last night. 

Will look forward to reading the comments here when I get home. 

Should be a hoot. 

• Like 1

Officiating has been pretty rough both ways, to be honest.
And Toronto HAS benefitted from things that could have been called against them but weren't. 
A high stick to Stamkos' face comes to mind...a phantom cross check on a Leaves® player that was already on his way down, NOT due to a TB player crossing him, etc.

Bolts players addressed this in a roundabout way as well prior to either Games 5 or 6, can't remember right now which.
Said 'it is what it is'.

I know for sure TB has gotten away with stuff too, gotten called for stuff... same with Toronto.
Almost as if the officials want to star in the show as much as the players.
Then, you have times when it seems the officials completely put their whistles away!

So any griping by EITHER Tampa Bay or Toronto is just moot at this point.
Shame too, because when you have two teams with good special teams like these have, the players themselves really should be allowed to settle things on the ice and not have officiating play such a big role.

Win or lose for either side tomorrow, it is going to come down to a big play by someone. Bottom line.
Officials are gonna stick their noses in, for better or worse,  at some point...that just has to be accepted and players need to be ready to take advantage of any "gifts" given them as well as create their own luck.

IF the Bolts lose due to some perceived bad officiating, it will suck, but I won't use it an excuse.
And I won't be caring for any Toronto griping either if it is them on the way out.

Play the game...such as it is!

"Manufactured power plays" is what it seems like.

48 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Officiating has been pretty rough both ways, to be honest.
And Toronto HAS benefitted from things that could have been called against them but weren't. 
A high stick to Stamkos' face comes to mind...a phantom cross check on a Leaves® player that was already on his way down, NOT due to a TB player crossing him, etc.

Bolts players addressed this in a roundabout way as well prior to either Games 5 or 6, can't remember right now which.
Said 'it is what it is'.

I know for sure TB has gotten away with stuff too, gotten called for stuff... same with Toronto.
Almost as if the officials want to star in the show as much as the players.
Then, you have times when it seems the officials completely put their whistles away!

So any griping by EITHER Tampa Bay or Toronto is just moot at this point.
Shame too, because when you have two teams with good special teams like these have, the players themselves really should be allowed to settle things on the ice and not have officiating play such a big role.

Win or lose for either side tomorrow, it is going to come down to a big play by someone. Bottom line.
Officials are gonna stick their noses in, for better or worse,  at some point...that just has to be accepted and players need to be ready to take advantage of any "gifts" given them as well as create their own luck.

IF the Bolts lose due to some perceived bad officiating, it will suck, but I won't use it an excuse.
And I won't be caring for any Toronto griping either if it is them on the way out.

Play the game...such as it is!

"Manufactured power plays" is what it seems like.

One of the things to watch for is if the officials choose to officiate this one differently than the previous six. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they put the whistles away for this one which will confuse both teams and benefit the Leafs. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

One of the things to watch for is if the officials choose to officiate this one differently than the previous six. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they put the whistles away for this one which will confuse both teams and benefit the Leafs. 

Sadly, that may be the case.
And I don't say "sadly" as just a Lightning fan.
I say that, as in, "Stay the hell out of the way officials!"

If something is a penalty, just call it. If it isn't, then leave it the hell alone! I don't want to see officials trying to decide whether any given point would be a good time to call something or not....complicating the proceedings unnecessarily.
But, this is the NHL, and one of the reasons I feel people look down on its contests many times as compared to other leagues is its fairweather officiating....although the NFL in recent years has become quite the farce themselves!

Best bet for either side is to take FULL advantage of anything they get early, understand the officials may 'even things out' later, and just play smart.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sadly, that may be the case.
And I don't say "sadly" as just a Lightning fan.
I say that, as in, "Stay the hell out of the way officials!"

If something is a penalty, just call it. If it isn't, then leave it the hell alone! I don't want to see officials trying to decide whether any given point would be a good time to call something or not....complicating the proceedings unnecessarily.
But, this is the NHL, and one of the reasons I feel people look down on its contests many times as compared to other leagues is its fairweather officiating....although the NFL in recent years has become quite the farce themselves!

Best bet for either side is to take FULL advantage of anything they get early, understand the officials may 'even things out' later, and just play smart.

Something the Sportsnet crew spoke to regarding officiating was how they would officiate OT given the errors they made in officiating the 3rd period. 

Kelly Hrudey stopped short of saying the officials owed the Leafs one and might give them a makeup call in OT. 

Now, will any of that carry over into this game? 

I think this game should be called exactly as the previous six but I don't think it will be. I think the officials will call this one with an OT in Game 6 mindset from puck drop and throughout Game 7. Obviously, pucks over glass, and sticks to faces are going to be called, but some of the other stuff like the Killorn holding on Matthews that wasn't called in Game 6 sure isn't in Game 7, nor are the interferences and crosschecks.

Leafs feel they've been the much better team 5v5. A game called loosely with little penalties will really benefit the Leafs. Also, if calls are close, officials tend to go with the home team and crowd. They're human and are influenced by such things from time to time. If they feel, as a crew, they did the Leafs wrong in Game 6...Will any of that carry over? 

So much to magnify and overblow, but I do honestly think the officials are a huge key to Game 7 for both teams. 

The Bolts beat the Isles in a Game 6 OT situation and then won at home 1-0 to win the series in Game 7. This time Tampa is on the road for Game 7. Leafs are 0-8 in opportunities to close series. This is their 9th chance to do so. At the end, they'll either be 1-8 or 0-9. Even if they win, that's still putrid. Very hard to undo well-established patterns. How much do the Leafs fight history along with Tampa? They have their hands full with the reigning back-to-back champs. Fighting history is something they don't need to fight, too. 

And, to the idea the Leafs are the home team with a full crowd... Leafs had a chance to beat Boston in a Game 6 and lost 4-2 in a close game and went on to look abysmal in Game 7 at Boston. 

They earned their home ice and Game 7 at home this year. Perhaps, that is what they've always needed to breakthrough? Montreal, last year, is not the same as the building wasn't full of rabid fans and those fans have played a role in this series. 

I wish I could see what shakes out in this Saturday night (very) special. 

Should Toronto lose, it will feel normal to me. If they win, I don't think I'll know what to feel or how to react. Numb either way, I suppose. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers

16 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

If the Leafs lose this series (a good bet), Alex Kerfoot will be the GOAT and not the good kind. His name will be up there like a Bill Buckner in Boston. 

I wish I could not be a sky is falling fan, but when your team NEVER wins a playoff series and yours has won back-to-back Cups  it's not exactly apples to apples. 

I wasn't born when the Bill Buckner error occurred. The thing is and I will say the same thing about the Kerfoot mistake is there is opportunity for the team to step up and erase all of that. That didn't occur in the Buckner situation, but all the Leafs players know of the mistake Kerfoot made in the last game and that should be more incentive for everyone of them to step up and pick him up for a win in game 7. That is what teammates and a team does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toronto Jules said:

I wasn't born when the Bill Buckner error occurred. The thing is and I will say the same thing about the Kerfoot mistake is there is opportunity for the team to step up and erase all of that. That didn't occur in the Buckner situation, but all the Leafs players know of the mistake Kerfoot made in the last game and that should be more incentive for everyone of them to step up and pick him up for a win in game 7. That is what teammates and a team does. 

I felt so bad for Billy Bucks. The man died young and had dementia. No way for me to know but hard not to think the amount of stress that man was under from that moment on didn't play a role in his poor health and early death. RIP, Billy B. 

OT likely did Kerfoot a favor. That, and the officiating.

Not sure how many have seen this, but there should've been no 5-on-3. Kampf didn't take a penalty there, and, in fact, Foote should've been sent to the box for embellishment. A potential Toronto PP erased for a Kampf non-penalty that led to Kerfoot's high stick, creating a disastrous 5-on-3. Minus, that debacle of officiating, the Leafs are likely on to the next round. 

It's very hard being asked to win a series you already felt you should've won. Perhaps, this will give the Leafs the fuel, as Matthews would call it, to win Game 7. One thing this team NEVER does is play angry and with a chip. 

Just thinking about this, I'm all fired up and upset that they got screwed last night. Hate to be like that, but you can't give a team a 5-on-3 in a situation like that.

Yes, TFG is right. The stick to Stamkos' face should've been called just like Killorn's hold on Matthews and the stick/elbow to Kerfoot's face. If we took an inventory, I don't think it's fair to say both teams got victimized and leave it at that. While true, both were, one was victimized a lot more than the other. 

I hope the Leafs pull a Game 1 act on these worn out winners. Just drill them mercilessly. Get up and stay up and keep putting them past Vasilevskiy. Shoot for the Detroit 10-spot. They can do it, if they're angry and focused. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers
  • Like 1

I think officiating is what it is. You win some lousy calls and you lose some lousy calls. I think that is part of the game. 

All I know is what has to be done is game 7 and that is for the Leafs to put it all on the line and got 110% for 60 minutes. Campbell has to play his @$$ off, the defense has to be quick to the puck and block shots, and the offense has to make crisp on point passes, get in front of the net and create tips/redirects, and get as many shots on the net as possibly. If this can be done the Leafs should win game 7 and then the whole talk about officiating and Kerfoot will be meaningless. 

1 hour ago, Toronto Jules said:

I think officiating is what it is. You win some lousy calls and you lose some lousy calls. I think that is part of the game. 

All I know is what has to be done is game 7 and that is for the Leafs to put it all on the line and got 110% for 60 minutes. Campbell has to play his @$$ off, the defense has to be quick to the puck and block shots, and the offense has to make crisp on point passes, get in front of the net and create tips/redirects, and get as many shots on the net as possibly. If this can be done the Leafs should win game 7 and then the whole talk about officiating and Kerfoot will be meaningless. 

I'm much less accepting than you. Changes have been needed for years and they won't happen when it's seen as just part of the game. It's an issue, and one that needs serious addressing and that has nothing to do with what happened in Game 6. Use video for everything. No reason not to do it. Get calls right so no fan, team, player, exec, etc. has to ever say something like it's just part of the game. It does not need to be and shouldn't be.

With you 100% on the rest. Play it like you played Game 1. That's the best I've ever seen the Leafs. Full-throttle. All gas, no brake. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

I'm much less accepting than you. Changes have been needed for years and they won't happen when it's seen as just part of the game. It's an issue, and one that needs serious addressing and that has nothing to do with what happened in Game 6. Use video for everything. No reason not to do it. Get calls right so no fan, team, player, exec, etc. has to ever say something like it's just part of the game. It does not need to be and shouldn't be.

With you 100% on the rest. Play it like you played Game 1. That's the best I've ever seen the Leafs. Full-throttle. All gas, no brake. 

With ya on the video thing, but would that really stop griping from the fans I don't think so. They use it on some calls which still have to be determined by officials and fans still b**** about those calls all the time. Also if they use video on every call the games would become so long it would become ridiculous. I understand that calls have to be called correctly and looking at the calls at every angle is the best possible way of doing that, but that still is not going to appease everyone.

I don't see how the Leafs can't be up for this game 7. If they come in dead for this game then something is wrong. Either they are not prepared or all credit goes out to the Lightning for taking it to them.  They have everything to lose. Way more than the Lightning really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Math said:

Just saw some brutal stats on TSN.

Lightning record after losing: 17-0

Maple Leafs record with one win away of winning a series since 2004: 1-9

It only takes one well played game by the Leaves® and one not so great by the Lightning to turn those stats on their ear, but I for one of course, hope that holds!

As I stated a bit earlier, the Bolts have been chasing Toronto in wins and losses all series long...if THAT holds, then Toronto moves on because it's "their turn" in this alternating win-loss scenario.
That is one pattern I want broken.

Finally (and I DON'T have the stats in front of me), I do believe Vasilevskiy has created a bit of a pattern himself of shutting out opponents when his team has a chance to eliminate them over the last two post seasons.
I imagine this Toronto team would be difficult to simply shut out, and Vasilevskiy may, indeed, not even get the win, but once again, a pattern I look forward to seeing if it holds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It only takes one well played game by the Leaves® and one not so great by the Lightning to turn those stats on their ear, but I for one of course, hope that holds!

As I stated a bit earlier, the Bolts have been chasing Toronto in wins and losses all series long...if THAT holds, then Toronto moves on because it's "their turn" in this alternating win-loss scenario.
That is one pattern I want broken.

Finally (and I DON'T have the stats in front of me), I do believe Vasilevskiy has created a bit of a pattern himself of shutting out opponents when his team has a chance to eliminate them over the last two post seasons.
I imagine this Toronto team would be difficult to simply shut out, and Vasilevskiy may, indeed, not even get the win, but once again, a pattern I look forward to seeing if it holds.

Patterns...

The Leafs have gone to OT in the penultimate games their last two post-season series. They won one and lost one. In the finales, they scored 0 and 1 goals. 

So, a Vasilevskiy shutout sounds well within the realm of probability, not possibility. 

Toronto has ONE goal in deciding games in last two seasons. That's as heinous as their 0-8 record in these elimination game scenarios.

Tampa has good patterns established. Toronto has the opposite. 

Best indicator of future performance is past performance. 

Bolts can handle the pressure. The Leafs have shown that they can in big moments, but when the biggest moments come, they just can't get over the hump.

Who is most interested in a series against the Panthers? Had Washington won tonight, I think that oddly would give both teams a little bit of extra incentive. Florida waiting for Round 2 is not as motivating as thinking you were maybe getting a Caps team without Tom Wilson. 

Jack Campbell is all I can think about. There's 37 other guys out there playing for both teams and he's the one that matters more than any other. The guy is pure eraticism in the pipes leaving me anything but excited. Andersen was something like 0-8 in Game 7's in his career, so I was so happy to see him leave. Jack is 0-1 and showed real nerves vs. Montreal in an empty building. Where will his head be tomorrow night? I don't like the odds that it goes well for him at all. In fact, I'm not a gambler, but I told my wife I was thinking of opening an online account and putting a ridiculous sum on Tampa on the moneyline. When/if the Leafs lose at least I can mitigate the further emotional damage with some financial gain. And, if the Leafs do win, then I won't care and will think of it as poetic justice for me being so easily parted from my money. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Who is most interested in a series against the Panthers? Had Washington won tonight, I think that oddly would give both teams a little bit of extra incentive. Florida waiting for Round 2 is not as motivating as thinking you were maybe getting a Caps team without Tom Wilson.

To be honest, I don't believe neither Toronto or Tampa Bay care whether Florida awaits in Round 2.
For TB, they've already beaten Florida in the post season, and the onus is on the Panthers to prove they can do the same to the Lightning.
Plus, at that point, TB would have beaten a team in Toronto that had many people, prior to the series, whispering as one that could beat them.

As for Toronto, if it's them, after beating the two time SC champions, and breaking all kinds of 'curses', they would feel they could beat ANYONE...including a still championship unproven Florida Panther team, whom Washington may have exposed some armor cracks in their series.... cracks that perhaps the Caps couldn't exploit, but the Leaves® certainly would.

It could also turn out the Panthers wipe the ice with EITHER TB or Tor, but I don't believe either of the boys in blue are gonna put the Panthers on any kind of pedestal and shrink away from them....not after facing each other.

• Like 1