*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TBL WIN 4-3) ***

TBL vs TOR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Whose History Gets Enhanced This Series?

• 1- Lightning win in 4 proving once again, Leaves® in the NHL always fall in Spring
    • 2- Lightning in 5... Toronto shows a bit of game, but still, not anywhere near enough to get by the defending champs
    • 3- Lightning in 6. Leafs play tough, play hard, but the cool n calm Bolts show them how it's done anyways.
    • 4- Lightning in 7. Epic series filled with tough play, fancy goals, stellar goaltending....but sees Toronto fall just short.
    • 5- Leafs in 4. New Toronto, old Tampa Bay. Leafs on a mission!
    • 6- Leafs in 5. Bolts can't quite come up with the right formula this time, and Toronto looks damned good putting away the defending champs.
    • 7- Leafs in 6. Great series that sees the Maple Leafs seemingly always a step ahead of the Lightning
    • 8- Leafs in 7. Toronto caps a great series doing something no one has been able to do in a long time: Close out Vasilevskiy and his crew. Leafs nation is ecstatic at home!

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted (edited)

Not smart hockey at all.  Simmonds taking stupid penalties against a non-factor player like Belle (while a good player, he's a 14 min ATOI guy) definitely won't help the Leafs.  Simmonds has never been a very smart player.  Unfortunately for the Leafs, he's no longer a very good NHL player either.  His game is just no where close to being the 50 or 60 point guy he was long ago.

Edited by FireDillabaugh
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody cares, but I'm going to type it anyway. I wasn't supposed to see this game, and I'm kind of disappointed I had to watch the 5th straight year of ultimate game futility from this club.    Today, was our firstborn's birthday. He's older but still a child, mentally speaking(autism). His birthday is a big deal to him even at an age where he shouldn't be quite so interested in it anymore. So, my wife and other kids decided there would be no hockey for me on his birthday. We spent the

Putting aside all the sports trash talk nonsense for a bit, a genuine Happy Birthday to your child. Doggie incident aside for the family of course. From one parent of an autistic child to another. We truly understand being accepting and our child's, and yours, different outlook on life.

The Leaf fans, have become Kampftorably Numb.

Posted Images

Leafs dodged a treecutter in that sequence.

Bolts are getting Toronto to over commit on the PK, leaving a bunch of wide open TB players. 
Campbell was able to track it down and freeze however, but that could have been disastrous for the Leafs.

• Like 1

Ryan McDonagh with some borderline play on the Leafs attackers.

But that is McD at his best.... manhandling the opposition, pushing the envelope without actually taking a penalty (even if one is warranted), and getting the opposing forwards thinking about what he's gonna do next to them when they enter the zone and go behind the net, rather than thinking about making plays.

McDonagh is a lot stronger than I believe he was before too....ragdolls guys his own size and bigger as well.

Ilya Lyubushkin.... damned good underrated defenseman.

Nasty. Unafraid.

UFA at season's end.
Probably not cost a lot.

Vancouver should look at trying to sign that guy.....

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ilya Lyubushkin.... damned good underrated defenseman.

Playing like a guy that is SO HAPPY to be out of Arizona's debacle of an organization.

3rd period about to get underway.

Down the stretch time for Game 2.

Do the Champs let off the gas? (Shame on them if they do!)
Do the Leafs change any approaches (I.E. take even more chances offensively at the risk of leaving Campbell to fend for himself?)
Do the Lightning run away with it by piling on goals?
Do the LEAFS pile on goals?

Plus.... Does Donna really love Jason? And will she ever tell him the baby isn't really his??

These questions, and I am sure many others will be answered in, As the 3rd Period turns. :ph34r: 

This feels about right. The Leafs intensity from Game 1 was not sustainable. Leafs down...Tampa up. A predictable outcome. 

We'll see if the back-to-back champs make the same mistake the Leafs made in not stepping on the throat and pounding the nail halfway into the coffin. 

I don't think they will.  Tampa in 5. Feels like a key Leafs injury is coming. 

Jack Campbell has not been good and Vasilevskiy showing who's the alpha and who's the beta. 

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

oooof....

Stepped away to attend to my chicken in the oven, and the Bolts add two more!!

I looked in my Maple Leafs over and the goose is cooked. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Jack Campbell has not been good and Vasilevskiy showing who's the alpha and who's the beta. 

Tampa finally deciding to test Campbell and it's what they needed to do in Game 1.  It's how to beat Toronto and will be the reason Toronto doesn't go very far in these playoffs if he is tested.  Toronto looking like that same team of old, not playing smart hockey and allowing their opponents  to be the dictators of the play.

• Like 1

Bolts still finishing checks even being up 5-1.

Good to see.
TB fans will be hoping they remember that and travel that back with them to Amalie Arena on Friday.

Whoops.... and as I finish my last post, Mr. Mitchell Marner says, "Not so fast".

Toronto cuts it to 5-2, still some time.... I am sure the Champs are aware.
TB may need to add another pair.

Bolts get it done, as they needed to and run their record now to 15-0 after a playoff game loss the last two seasons, I believe they said it was.

They let up a bit, allowed Toronto to creep back into the game, but once again, I am sure the smart guys in the coaches' offices will look at that, the vets will look at that, and file that way for Game 3 as something that can't be taken for granted given the firepower of this Leafs team.

WTG Champs...amazing what can be done when you aren't playing sedated... :) 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (Series Even 1-1)

As per NHL.com, some lineup changes for the Maple Leafs as they will not have last change at Amalie Arena.
Jason Spezza is in at forward, Wayne Simmonds is out.
Justin Holl is in on defense, Tim Liljegren is out on defense.

Defending Champions staying pat with the same lineup they used in Game 2, only difference being, the aforementioned last change for trying to get better match ups.

I am not a big wrestling fan, but I know a bit about it, and as Booker T used to say:
"Dis is gunna be GUD!"

Engvall holding onto Cal Foote's hockey stick like he's a freakin parakeet perched up....and the refs are letting that go.
Let's see if they stay consistent that way.

56 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Aaaaand the Champs are back to sleep.

Once again, not a great game by Vasi.  And only 13 shots presently against Campbell.  They just won't beat this team unless they test him more than this.

Whew! Felt like Tampa really took over after their PP goal, only slowed by taking a penalty.  Thought for sure they were going to get it to 3-2 before period's end. 

This is the time we see if Toronto is different or the same old Leafs. In driver seat with 20 minutes to go. 

Feeling a big Killorn goal in the 3rd. 

Hoping Toronto doesn't just hang on but puts the hammer down but history says they'll be the nail. 

Mikheyev will fall just short of the empty net hat trick. 

Great win for Toronto. Not how you want to get it, but home ice swings back to the Leafs.

Marner off the bar and post was so close to putting this out of reach earlier. 

LONG way to go in this one. Tampa in 5 is out. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TOR Leads 2-1)

Game 3 looked like a redux of Game 1 with the Leafs showing more jump than the Lightning and special teams and penalties playing a big part.

I've been impressed with Jack Campbell. Right when TB pushes hardest, he has come up big more often than not.
Bolts could have easily had two goals this last game where he absolutely robbed the TB player, including one in particular on Steven Stamkos that had the TB captain muttering something to the hockey gods.

Toronto is in control again, and once again, it is up to the Lightning to adjust and attempt to keep their playoff run of not losing two consecutive games the last two playoff seasons, alive.
They are currently 15-0 in games following a playoff game loss the last two years.

Posted (edited)

Love the confidence and bulletin board material. Pride before a fall. 

Did JC think he was speaking after the 8-1 regular season win, or after Game 2?  I guess he sees only potting 2 in Game 3 an anomaly. 

Not sure home ice matters very much. Both teams have won in the other's building. 

Leafs believe 5v5 they're the better team. If that's true, staying out of the box is how Toronto wins this series. 

Campbell is a total wildcard like most goailes but he's even more of one. He's been both all-star and "out of the league" (with his play) all in the same season. He truly is the "box of chocolates" goalie. 

Who knows what happens in Game 4? As TFG pointed out, Tampa's bounce-back streak is on the line, again. They came through after Game 1 with a resounding win. I like the Leafs on the road more than I like them at home. Went up 3-1 on Montreal last season, and wouldn't be surprised if they left Tampa the same, nor would I if they blew another 3-1 series lead. 

EDIT: I'm going to have to start listening to Cooper's pressers. This is some good stuff...

image.png.ab34497c68279f9dc0290b19520a8d2f.png

Edited by 3 Palmateers
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to *** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TBL WIN 4-3) ***
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 unpinned this topic