*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TBL WIN 4-3) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

TBL vs TOR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Whose History Gets Enhanced This Series?

• 1- Lightning win in 4 proving once again, Leaves® in the NHL always fall in Spring
    • 2- Lightning in 5... Toronto shows a bit of game, but still, not anywhere near enough to get by the defending champs
    • 3- Lightning in 6. Leafs play tough, play hard, but the cool n calm Bolts show them how it's done anyways.
    • 4- Lightning in 7. Epic series filled with tough play, fancy goals, stellar goaltending....but sees Toronto fall just short.
    • 5- Leafs in 4. New Toronto, old Tampa Bay. Leafs on a mission!
    • 6- Leafs in 5. Bolts can't quite come up with the right formula this time, and Toronto looks damned good putting away the defending champs.
    • 7- Leafs in 6. Great series that sees the Maple Leafs seemingly always a step ahead of the Lightning
    • 8- Leafs in 7. Toronto caps a great series doing something no one has been able to do in a long time: Close out Vasilevskiy and his crew. Leafs nation is ecstatic at home!

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

oooof....

Stepped away to attend to my chicken in the oven, and the Bolts add two more!!

I looked in my Maple Leafs over and the goose is cooked. 

• Like 1

Bolts get it done, as they needed to and run their record now to 15-0 after a playoff game loss the last two seasons, I believe they said it was.

They let up a bit, allowed Toronto to creep back into the game, but once again, I am sure the smart guys in the coaches' offices will look at that, the vets will look at that, and file that way for Game 3 as something that can't be taken for granted given the firepower of this Leafs team.

WTG Champs...amazing what can be done when you aren't playing sedated... :) 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (Series Even 1-1)

As per NHL.com, some lineup changes for the Maple Leafs as they will not have last change at Amalie Arena.
Jason Spezza is in at forward, Wayne Simmonds is out.
Justin Holl is in on defense, Tim Liljegren is out on defense.

Defending Champions staying pat with the same lineup they used in Game 2, only difference being, the aforementioned last change for trying to get better match ups.

I am not a big wrestling fan, but I know a bit about it, and as Booker T used to say:
"Dis is gunna be GUD!"

Whew! Felt like Tampa really took over after their PP goal, only slowed by taking a penalty.  Thought for sure they were going to get it to 3-2 before period's end. 

This is the time we see if Toronto is different or the same old Leafs. In driver seat with 20 minutes to go. 

Feeling a big Killorn goal in the 3rd. 

Hoping Toronto doesn't just hang on but puts the hammer down but history says they'll be the nail. 

Mikheyev will fall just short of the empty net hat trick. 

Great win for Toronto. Not how you want to get it, but home ice swings back to the Leafs.

Marner off the bar and post was so close to putting this out of reach earlier. 

LONG way to go in this one. Tampa in 5 is out. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TOR Leads 2-1)

Game 3 looked like a redux of Game 1 with the Leafs showing more jump than the Lightning and special teams and penalties playing a big part.

I've been impressed with Jack Campbell. Right when TB pushes hardest, he has come up big more often than not.
Bolts could have easily had two goals this last game where he absolutely robbed the TB player, including one in particular on Steven Stamkos that had the TB captain muttering something to the hockey gods.

Toronto is in control again, and once again, it is up to the Lightning to adjust and attempt to keep their playoff run of not losing two consecutive games the last two playoff seasons, alive.
They are currently 15-0 in games following a playoff game loss the last two years.

Love the confidence and bulletin board material. Pride before a fall. 

Did JC think he was speaking after the 8-1 regular season win, or after Game 2?  I guess he sees only potting 2 in Game 3 an anomaly. 

Not sure home ice matters very much. Both teams have won in the other's building. 

Leafs believe 5v5 they're the better team. If that's true, staying out of the box is how Toronto wins this series. 

Campbell is a total wildcard like most goailes but he's even more of one. He's been both all-star and "out of the league" (with his play) all in the same season. He truly is the "box of chocolates" goalie. 

Who knows what happens in Game 4? As TFG pointed out, Tampa's bounce-back streak is on the line, again. They came through after Game 1 with a resounding win. I like the Leafs on the road more than I like them at home. Went up 3-1 on Montreal last season, and wouldn't be surprised if they left Tampa the same, nor would I if they blew another 3-1 series lead. 

EDIT: I'm going to have to start listening to Cooper's pressers. This is some good stuff...

image.png.ab34497c68279f9dc0290b19520a8d2f.png

Edited by 3 Palmateers

1 hour ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Love the confidence and bulletin board material. Pride before a fall. 

Did JC think he was speaking after the 8-1 regular season win, or after Game 2?  I guess he sees only potting 2 in Game 3 an anomaly. 

Not sure home ice matters very much. Both teams have won in the other's building. 

Leafs believe 5v5 they're the better team. If that's true, staying out of the box is how Toronto wins this series. 

Campbell is a total wildcard like most goailes but he's even more of one. He's been both all-star and "out of the league" (with his play) all in the same season. He truly is the "box of chocolates" goalie. 

Who knows what happens in Game 4? As TFG pointed out, Tampa's bounce-back streak is on the line, again. They came through after Game 1 with a resounding win. I like the Leafs on the road more than I like them at home. Went up 3-1 on Montreal last season, and wouldn't be surprised if they left Tampa the same, nor would I if they blew another 3-1 series lead. 

EDIT: I'm going to have to start listening to Cooper's pressers. This is some good stuff...

image.png.ab34497c68279f9dc0290b19520a8d2f.png

Jon Cooper's come a LONG way from that former lawyer who won at every level before the NHL by throwing out there the very best talented players he had.
The NHL is more than just about who is the most talented.
It is about who has intangibles like attitude, swagger, momentum, grit, and just overall being more than the sum of their parts....even if those parts are high end like the Lightning have.

Took him awhile to figure that out at the NHL level, but he has, and now, it seems, he has discovered something else:
Generalship in the media.

That idea of a coach running his mouth a bit, simply to deflect attention away and relieving pressure on his guys on the ice.
Having the media focus on that 'loud bag' coach while players continue to work on things, and guys getting to where they need to be (Stamkos, Point, and Kucherov, Killorn, for example, are NOT the playoff monsters they usually are so far...and Vasy has been ordinary to good...not great as he is accustomed).

John Tortorella used that tactic. Ken Hitchcock used that tactice.... I believe others such as Mike Babcock and even Joel Quenneville.
If their big players are in a rut, if the team as a whole isn't doing what its coach deems it could do, it might be time to fire off some item to the media where the other team may take exception with that coach (Jon Cooper).....when their attention should still be squarely on the players (the defending champion Lightning!).

Will it work?
Who knows....but at this point, Cooper knows things don't get easier, and teams can smell the blood of the defending Champs possibly not being around much longer to defend the title.... plus the Leafs have played well and seem here with a completely different, better, winning attitude.
So can't hurt if Cooper tries.

At the end of the day, players on the ice will decide who is better and who has the last laugh, but yea, Cooper has mostly stood away from the media (good idea most of the time), but there HAVE been times when the TB fanbase wishes he'd be more of a-hole if it helps fire up some emotion on his guys and maybe piss off the opposition a little.
Seems he is trying that now.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Jon Cooper's come a LONG way from that former lawyer who won at every level before the NHL by throwing out there the very best talented players he had.
The NHL is more than just about who is the most talented.
It is about who has intangibles like attitude, swagger, momentum, grit, and just overall being more than the sum of their parts....even if those parts are high end like the Lightning have.

Took him awhile to figure that out at the NHL level, but he has, and now, it seems, he has discovered something else:
Generalship in the media.

That idea of a coach running his mouth a bit, simply to deflect attention away and relieving pressure on his guys on the ice.
Having the media focus on that 'loud bag' coach while players continue to work on things, and guys getting to where they need to be (Stamkos, Point, and Kucherov, Killorn, for example, are NOT the playoff monsters they usually are so far...and Vasy has been ordinary to good...not great as he is accustomed).

John Tortorella used that tactic. Ken Hitchcock used that tactice.... I believe others such as Mike Babcock and even Joel Quenneville.
If their big players are in a rut, if the team as a whole isn't doing what its coach deems it could do, it might be time to fire off some item to the media where the other team may take exception with that coach (Jon Cooper).....when their attention should still be squarely on the players (the defending champion Lightning!).

Will it work?
Who knows....but at this point, Cooper knows things don't get easier, and teams can smell the blood of the defending Champs possibly not being around much longer to defend the title.... plus the Leafs have played well and seem here with a completely different, better, winning attitude.
So can't hurt if Cooper tries.

At the end of the day, players on the ice will decide who is better and who has the last laugh, but yea, Cooper has mostly stood away from the media (good idea most of the time), but there HAVE been times when the TB fanbase wishes he'd be more of a-hole if it helps fire up some emotion on his guys and maybe piss off the opposition a little.
Seems he is trying that now.

This smacks of a little desperation and that can be a good thing. 

If the Lightning end their bounce-back game streak and go down 3-1, they have the Leafs right where they want them. Ask Corey Perry. 

Speaking of Perry (who did it Amalie, also)... This is classic:

6 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

This smacks of a little desperation and that can be a good thing. 

If the Lightning end their bounce-back game streak and go down 3-1, they have the Leafs right where they want them. Ask Corey Perry. 

Speaking of Perry (who did it Amalie, also)... This is classic:

Yep.
A bit of desperation can be a good thing.
Would rather have that than complacency. 

As for Perry...should surprise no one.
Perry doing and saying Perry things.
In fact, I questioned big time why exactly he was on the team earlier in the season as he seemed to be a much more mellow, softer, kinder Perry. The kind of Perry who couldn't buy a goal and was a non factor on the ice.

Crap.... Bolts don't need a kinder, gentler Perry. They need that same a-hole that pissed off so many other people when he was a member of the Ducks, Stars, and Canadiens!
I never really cared for his antics, but if I am going to be honest, I'd rather have those antics working FOR my team rather than against them.
Seriously...if he is gonna be on the team, then he needs to be who he is and all the good and bad that comes with it.

He clearly is no longer the same goal scoring player he used to be, so I will take whatever he can chip in, but the attitude, sandpaper, and yes, A-hole mannerisms can still be razor sharp, and he needs to be that way to continue being effective.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Teams taking turns napping. 

Leafs didn't get the wake up call. Keefe spoke about being greedy. If this is what greed looks like, I wonder what giving would?

The good news about being down 3-0 early is it's early. The bad news is it's looking like another 8-1 thumping. 

At this point the only question I have is...when will they pull Jack Campbell? When they hit 4 in the 1st?

Over in 6? 

I wanted this series over in 6, either way. Game 7 is a horrible night for my calendar. Haven't missed a game all season, but I'll have to miss that one. 

EDIT: It's 5-0 and Campbell is still in? What for? Keefe is not bright. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers

I wonder if there is any thought at all about turning to Kjallgren in Game 5. Campbell has given up 5 in two-of-four games and hasn't looked very good. 

Personally, I don't think there's any way you can trust Backup Jack, but the trust in Kjallgren has to be less. 

Nylander just scored his 2nd, but I agree with this take. He does do this every pring. Nice he can score 2 meaningless goals. Not the kind of player you win with in the spring. I'd sit the guy in the pivotal/critical Game 5. Gimme someone who wants it despite the drop off in skill-level. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers
  • Like 1

This is almost as good as the hated Steve Simmons (I love him) asking Keefe about why he started his worst defenseman in the post-game presser and his scathing column....(I can say as a fan, I told my old best friend that I was done following the Leafs after Montreal last season. I may live to regret not following through) 

image.png.dc817dd0724bf2cccfa6d4293dc7d466.png

Toronto Maple Leafs suddenly dont feel in control of the series | Toronto Sun

Edited by 3 Palmateers

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (Series Even 2-2)

When I saw this match up I got really excited because I knew this was going to be one hell of a series. The Leafs wanted to get the playoffs jinx off their back and what a better way to do it by eliminating the 2 time defending champions. 

This is not going to be an easy task at all. The Lightning comes with one of the best goalies in the league and also a top notch D.  The Leafs I believe have a slightly stronger offense which will push them over the top.

This series is going to go back and forth and all the way to the end with I hope the Leafs taking it in game 7.