*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) - (TBL WIN 4-3) ***

TropicalFruitGirl26

TBL vs TOR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Whose History Gets Enhanced This Series?

• 1- Lightning win in 4 proving once again, Leaves® in the NHL always fall in Spring
    • 2- Lightning in 5... Toronto shows a bit of game, but still, not anywhere near enough to get by the defending champs
    • 3- Lightning in 6. Leafs play tough, play hard, but the cool n calm Bolts show them how it's done anyways.
    • 4- Lightning in 7. Epic series filled with tough play, fancy goals, stellar goaltending....but sees Toronto fall just short.
    • 5- Leafs in 4. New Toronto, old Tampa Bay. Leafs on a mission!
    • 6- Leafs in 5. Bolts can't quite come up with the right formula this time, and Toronto looks damned good putting away the defending champs.
    • 7- Leafs in 6. Great series that sees the Maple Leafs seemingly always a step ahead of the Lightning
    • 8- Leafs in 7. Toronto caps a great series doing something no one has been able to do in a long time: Close out Vasilevskiy and his crew. Leafs nation is ecstatic at home!

This poll is closed to new votes

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

To be honest, I don't believe neither Toronto or Tampa Bay care whether Florida awaits in Round 2.
For TB, they've already beaten Florida in the post season, and the onus is on the Panthers to prove they can do the same to the Lightning.
Plus, at that point, TB would have beaten a team in Toronto that had many people, prior to the series, whispering as one that could beat them.

As for Toronto, if it's them, after beating the two time SC champions, and breaking all kinds of 'curses', they would feel they could beat ANYONE...including a still championship unproven Florida Panther team, whom Washington may have exposed some armor cracks in their series.... cracks that perhaps the Caps couldn't exploit, but the Leaves® certainly would.

It could also turn out the Panthers wipe the ice with EITHER TB or Tor, but I don't believe either of the boys in blue are gonna put the Panthers on any kind of pedestal and shrink away from them....not after facing each other.

I don't think either is "afraid" of the Panthers. I just think, especially in the case of the Leafs, knowing a Tom Wilson-less Caps team was the reward, it would be slightly more motivating. 

Wes McCauley is the guy officiating tonight's game. 

Toronto is 7-2, all-time, at home, in Game 7's. 

One thing that I found interesting...The team that scores 4 goals, is the team that has won EVERY game in this series. Tampa has been erratic, scoring between 0-7 goals in this series. The Leafs have been consistent. Leafs have scored 3 times in each loss, and either 4 or 5 in their wins.

image.png.9200bec090c67a4cc22abcd3a24696f9.png

So, first team to 4 goals and 4 games wins. 

Where would you put your money as to which goalie is going to give up 4 tonight?

EDIT: Here's quite the stat...

In the last 6 series that Tampa has won, Vasilevskiy has FIVE SHUTOUTS and one 1-goal game. 

The guy has given up ONE goal in the last 6 series closing games for Tampa. 

Leafs scored 1 goal in their last two series closing games. 

Tell me that first goal, tonight, isn't bigger than it has ever been?

Edited by 3 Palmateers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3 Palmateers said:

I don't think either is "afraid" of the Panthers. I just think, especially in the case of the Leafs, knowing a Tom Wilson-less Caps team was the reward, it would be slightly more motivating. 

Wes McCauley is the guy officiating tonight's game. 

Toronto is 7-2, all-time, at home, in Game 7's. 

One thing that I found interesting...The team that scores 4 goals, is the team that has won EVERY game in this series. Tampa has been erratic, scoring between 0-7 goals in this series. The Leafs have been consistent. Leafs have scored 3 times in each loss, and either 4 or 5 in their wins.

image.png.9200bec090c67a4cc22abcd3a24696f9.png

So, first team to 4 goals and 4 games wins. 

Where would you put your money as to which goalie is going to give up 4 tonight?

EDIT: Here's quite the stat...

In the last 6 series that Tampa has won, Vasilevskiy has FIVE SHUTOUTS and one 1-goal game. 

The guy has given up ONE goal in the last 6 series closing games for Tampa. 

Leafs scored 1 goal in their last two series closing games. 

Tell me that first goal, tonight, isn't bigger than it has ever been?

The first goal is crazy important tonight. 

You asked whicjh goalie is more likely to give up 4 goals tonight and I am not going to lie it would have to be Campbell, but if the Leafs jump out to the lead that can change things up a bit. 

The Leafs need to throw as many shots as they can on the net at Vasilevskiy. Get one or two past him and shake him a little. 

• Like 2

Cooper is a joy to listen to in his pressers. Has a bigger fear of losing than a want to win. Seems like he genuinely has no feel one way or the other if his team will advance or go home. 

"Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" was referenced by him.  Called this "must-see-tv"..."great for the league", etc. He's pumped just as a hockey fan and said he was fortunate to have a front row seat. 

The simplest truth of this game is the winning team and its fans get to play next week...the loser has to wait until October. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Agreed.  But, I think the same goes for both teams against these goaltenders.  They each have to be persistent for the entire game in testing the opposing goaltender.

Very true, the key here in game 7 is to put the puck on the net. Get players in front of the net to redirect and tip in shots. I don't think this fancy passing the puck around on the perimeter and then trying to take a slap shot or two is going to work on these goalies and these defenses. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Cooper is a joy to listen to in his pressers. Has a bigger fear of losing than a want to win. Seems like he genuinely has no feel one way or the other if his team will advance or go home. 

"Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" was referenced by him.  Called this "must-see-tv"..."great for the league", etc. He's pumped just as a hockey fan and said he was fortunate to have a front row seat. 

The simplest truth of this game is the winning team and its fans get to play next week...the loser has to wait until October. 

Cooper's statements are simple but true. I sure wish I had his seat for the game. Even though he has to stand the entire game I'd be willing to do just that. I will be watching the game with a group of friends at a local Sports Bar which I imagine will be extremely loud tonight. Hope it ends well. 

• Like 1

I was able to see 1st period (bizarre/scary story as to why I'm actually watching, as I shouldn't be able to tonight).

Another 1st goal given up by Leafs in a huge game. Marner choked on an open net, and Cobra choked on one after the buzzer, so it wouldn't have counted, but the boys are choking when they get their opportunities. 

The PP going 0-2 is going to be part of the epitaph on this season if they get shutout in this one. 

Vasilevskiy looks good, but Marner should've scored on him. 

Point doesn't look like he'll be back for the rest of the season if Tampa advances, so Bolts gonna have to win it without him. 

I had the sound down low, but the building doesn't seem to be as energized as I expected. A tightness there that permeates as ghosts of the past hover. 

• Like 1

Whoa!!

Brayden Point back out there! But should he really be??
EDIT: And back out he goes.

Honestly, he shouldn't be out there...take the rest of the game, have the trainers re-evaluate him, maybe get a couple days before Round 2 starts (IF his team wins)....don't risk some ongoing, nagging injury that could carry over to next season!

If the Bolts are the better team, they will win without him...plenty of stars on the Lightning.
If his team DOESN'T win, won't be because he wasn't out there...it will be because Toronto was just better this series, period.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Tenacious Lightning forechecking.  Thought for sure it would be 3-1 there.  TO hangin’ on…

4-1 final. That's what I see and feel. 4-1 going through my mind all day. 

Tampa should've scored there at the end and on the PP.  A miracle this is still 2-1. 

Matthews and Marner always get blamed for these losses. They have 20 minutes and maybe an OT, to edit their Wikipedia pages in people's minds.

You scored 60 that could've been 70 if not for injury. You've owned Vasilevskiy in your career. Your team is down 1. You spoke of putting your balls on the line. I will settle for ONE puck in the net in the 3rd or OT. 

Hard not visualizing the same old pressers we see every year with Marner's head down with a towel over the top in disbelief.

Us Leafs fans just want to see NINETY games in a season. So sick of just 89. 

Toronto seems content to play without their goalie once they have possession....
All the Bolts need is some solid possession, skate it up the ice, even if they don't get the EN, but good chance they can.

Trick will be taking the puck away from Toronto who have done a good job in possession.

Cmon, Champs.
Show'em who ya are!