*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Dallas Stars (WC1) at Calgary Flames (P1) - (CGY WINS 4-3) ***

DAL vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Wild Card Upset or Division Winner Dominance?

• 1- Stars shock everyone (except themselves) by putting away the Flames in 4!
    • 2- Stars in 5, play out of their minds, match Calgary in every category, and skate off with the convincing series win.
    • 3- Stars in 6, showing Dallas really can play with the big boys, face adversity, and come out on top.
    • 4- Stars in 7 in a brutal series where perhaps the Flames didn't capitalize on all their chances, while Dallas certainly did!
    • 5- Flames in 4. Nothing to see here folks...Calgary does what some expect, and do away with the pretending Stars.
    • 6- Flames in 5. Dallas offers a bit of resistance, but nothing that phases the Flames. Onward Cgy marches.
    • 7- Flames in 6. Stars put up a bigger fight than people think, make things interesting, but Flames still too much.
    • 8- Flames in 7. Dallas pushes Sutter's boys to the limit and almost pull it out, but find themselves just shy of glory.

This poll is closed to new votes

948245290_dalvscgy.thumb.jpg.725e541a4418eb30d7cf05fd8386fcc8.jpg

Season Series:
Flames won it, 2-0-1

Daryl Sutter, looking re-create in Calgary what he did in LA some years back...and that is a tough to play against, nasty, hard hitting team that should be considered a contender every year.
And this time, I dare say, Sutter has more overall talent to work with on this very good Flames roster.

The Avs may be getting most of the media hype, but Calgary, top to bottom, looks every bit the part of a classic playoff team....and they have their sights set on the Cup.

Dallas Stars will be standing in the way, the enigmatic Dallas Stars IMO.
A team that really should be playing better than they have shown all season....a team that should be outstanding defensively, and be pretty good on offense as well (remember when they were one of the better offensive teams in the league some time ago?).

Well, here are the Stars, left for dead at one point in the regular season, matched up against possibly a tougher opponent than had they been matched up with the Avs, Wild, or Blues.
Young Jake Oettinger is gonna have to be fantastic, and Stars' fans hope the "big names" on the team show up....otherwise, this could be a short set!

Dallas challenging the Flames for the right to move on!
All series talk goes right here!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

Goalies: :flames:

Defense: :stars:

Offense: :flames:

Special teams (PP/PK): :flames:

Coaching: :flames:

Mental: :flames:

Experience: :stars:

Robustness: :flames:

Depth: :flames:

It's quite surprising to see the Stars qualified despite their coaching staff, but I'm confident the Flames with find a way to handle the magnificient Stars' checking line with their terrific -56 cumulated. Of course, young guns that could actually skate fast and score goals like Peterson will be scratched, Benn will look like a Panzer on flat tyres, Seguin will give his best but out of sync, Klingberg will make his daily gaffe leading to a Flames goal, Gurianov will be benched at his very first mistake (of if he reaches 15 offsides per game) so that Bowness will call back Comeau.

But, they have the team to drive the Flames crazy.

Or not.

Flames in 6. 

• Like 1

I really want to like Dallas here.
I picked them to finish top three in their division even before the season started because I believed the nonsense of the disappearing acts of the big three (Benn, Seguin, Radulov) would go away if the team would only 'unleash' its players a bit more.

But I see that the Stars, while still playing well enough obviously to be here, simply aren't in the same atmosphere as the top offensive teams in the league, which leaves them back to trying to become one of the toughest defensive squads in the league to offset that.

In that regard, well, the Stars are decent defensively, and can be pretty stingy, but I credit that mostly to young Jake Oettinger, whom I think has a terrific future as an NHL starter.
And, they will be facing a team who are one of the top dogs in stinginess, the Calgary Flames, but seem to do it with an entire team backing up Jacob Markstrom in net.

And if they can't beat you with pure defense, they will just BEAT you...literally. Lots of nasty characters on this team, starting with a revived Milan Lucic and Matthew Tkachuk, and on down from there!
THEN, they will score on you to rub salt in the wounds...

Dallas will be game and I think this series will make Jake Oettinger a bit more well known in the league (he can play for my Minnesota Wild ANY time!), but the bottom line is, Calgary is built to succeed in a playoff environment, and now they have the guy behind the bench who knows a thing or three about pounding your way to a title.

The only real weakness I can see with this Flames club is whether guys like Gaudreau, Lindholm, Toffoli, and Coleman perform like people expect them to in the post season.
Gaudreau and Lindholm in particular, excellent players otherwise, seem to go *poof* when the spotlight is bright and hot.

I will bet the Flames won't have a letdown by those guys, or anyone else, and try as Dallas might, Calgary does away with them rather handily in their wins.

Dallas steals two games (again, will credit Oettinger and a two night only performance from the Stars' top line), but the four they lose, they will look pretty bad in.
Flames in 6.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Dallas steals two games (again, will credit Oettinger and a two night only performance from the Stars' top line), but the four they lose, they will look pretty bad in.
Flames in 6.

I'm seeing it the same way. Sounds cliché but when you've got such an opposition of two totally different styles, then special situations are the key. Öttinger make great progress vs. last season especially in breakaways, otherwise he's been solid all season long and the Stars need exceptional goaltending to win games. If he's just very good, that won't be enough.

I don't expect anything from all other forward outside the only Stars' line. On defense, Jekyll and Hyde Klingberg has to tight his defensive game urgently. He's costing at least one goal per game for a League-worst 10th position with -28.

It's a good thing they start the series on the road. The pressure is all over Calgary to start and if the Stars manage to steal one of the first two games, it could become interesting. But if the Flames fly to Dallas up 2-0, then the nice breeze of early vacation of the golf greens for the greens will be blatant.

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Flames in 5.  The Flames are too deep, have the much better special teams, and have the better goaltending.

Went five games for the same reason

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Almost also went 5 here.  But, I just can't see Dallas taking one here.  Probably the only sweep series in Round 1.

The only reason I see Dallas taking one game is because of veteran leadership. They have been through the playoff wars with more or less the same roster two years ago, they went to the finals. Benn has been absolutely putrid down the stretch, but he is built for the playoffs. I think Calgary is too deep and too good, but Dallas should be able to take one game.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The only reason I see Dallas taking one game is because of veteran leadership. They have been through the playoff wars with more or less the same roster two years ago, they went to the finals. Benn has been absolutely putrid down the stretch, but he is built for the playoffs. I think Calgary is too deep and too good, but Dallas should be able to take one game.

Yeah, I mean the only veteran leadership in this team comes from Pavelski. You can also add Radulov in a lesser extent because he's the only one to bring heart and emotions, even though he's totally washed up. Benn is a disaster, frankly. He's been totally invisible in the last couple of games where the Stars tried to grab the WC spot in must-win games but he's the king of player to be awful the whole game, then he makes a magical shift out of nowhere to give the GWG. Seguin tries the best he can, but he's in pieces and he's just slower in every aspects of the game, even his lethal shot lost a lot of efficiency. 

About goaltending, Öttinger has to play above .940 let's say. If the Stars will go past the Flames, he needs to steal four games.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Almost also went 5 here.  But, I just can't see Dallas taking one here.  Probably the only sweep series in Round 1.

I'd be 100% ok with that....lol

Dallas Stars' John Klingberg, Calgary Flames' Rasmus Andersson ejected for secondary fight in spirited start to series

play

0:19
/
2:07

ss_20220504_000621325_1958045_1.jpg

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

1:04 AM ET
  • shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen ShiltonESPN NHL reporter

Calgary and Dallas wasted no time getting acquainted in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The second-seeded Flames and seventh-seeded Stars faced off in Game 1 of their first-round matchup in Calgary on Tuesday, and fists were flying before the first period ended.

The initial melee started with a punishing hit by Calgary forward Matthew Tkachuk on Dallas defenseman John Klingberg behind the Stars' net as the opening frame came to a close. That drew Klingberg's teammate, Michael Raffl, over to challenge Tkachuk, and the two exchanged several blows in a long fight.

Both Tkachuk and Raffl earned fighting majors for their actions, and Raffl received an additional penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Meanwhile, Klingberg and Flames blueliner Rasmus Andersson started another fight of their own while Tkachuk and Raffl were going at it. Per NHL rules, Klingberg and Andersson each received a game misconduct penalty -- an automatic ejection -- for engaging in a separate fight after the original altercation had begun.

"He's acting a little tougher than he is," Klingberg said when asked about Andersson hitting him. "We're going to go after him."

It made for quite a spirited opening to the series by leaving both sides without a key member of their blue line for much of the night.

Klingberg had 47 points in 74 regular-season games for Dallas and carried the third-most minutes on the team at 22:13 per game. Andersson was the Flames' leader in ice time at 22:40 per game, while adding 50 points in 82 games.

Calgary took Game 1 in a 1-0 shutout, with the contest's lone score coming on a power-play goal by Elias Lindholm early in the first period. Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom stopped all 16 shots he faced.

"Even warm-up was fun, and I got goose bumps,'' Lindholm said. "The crowd was into it right away, and obviously, we had some good energy right away.

"I thought the first 10 or 15 minutes we played real well, and the second and third, too many penalties.''

Without Klingberg, their power-play quarterback, the Stars went 0-for-5 with a man advantage.

Stars coach Rick Bowness said his team "bent a little but didn't break'' over the first half of the opening period.

"I thought they were going to run us out of the rink, and they didn't,'' Bowness said. "We put up a good fight.

"It's clear our power play has to get clicking. That was a big issue for us. We need more pucks on the net. But the compete was there, the work ethic, everything was good.''

• Good Post 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Dallas Stars (WC1) at Calgary Flames (P1) - (CGY Leads 1-0)

Oettinger makes 29 saves, lift Stars over Flames 2-0

Michael Raffl scores an open-net goal to give the Stars a late 2-0 lead in the closing moments of the third period.

ByAP
4 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Jake Oettinger made 29 saves and got his first postseason shutout in his second career playoff start to lift the Dallas Stars over the Calgary Flames 2-0 on Thursday night to even their first-round series at a game each.

Joe Pavelski scored and Michael Raffl added an empty-net goal for the Stars.

The best-of-seven conference quarterfinal series heads to Dallas for Saturday’s Game 3 and Monday’s Game 4 at American Airlines Arena. The Flames opened the series with a 1-0 win Tuesday.

Calgary’s Jacob Markstrom stopped 21 of 22 shots.

“The only thing that matters is wins,” Oettinger said. “They have a great goalie on the other end and we know it’s going to be tight, so the margin for error for me is very slim.”

The Flames outshot the Stars 12-7 in the third period. Raffl scored into an empty net with 1:09 remaining.

“Our goal was to go into Dallas and win two games anyway, so it doesn’t really change our mindset,” Flames forward Tyler Toffoli said.

Outplayed in the opening period, Calgary generated more scoring chances for an 11-7 edge in shots in the second. The Flames were denied by Oettinger, however, and didn’t get their sticks on the few rebounds the goaltender allowed.

“They’re a good defensive team. I thought we had plenty of scoring chances tonight,” Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau said. “Their goalie played well.

A couple of 2-on-1s, breakaway, thought we did a good job in their own zone, but got to score, got to bear down and put the puck in the net (starting) with myself.”

In a bid to generate more offense, Stars coach Rick Bowness continued to play forwards Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin on separate lines, as he did in the second and third period of the series opener.

“Not a lot of room out there,” Bowness said. “There’s not a lot of room for them or us. You’ve got to work for everything you get.”

After not registering a shot on net in Game 1, Pavelski scored the first goal of the series for the Stars at 7:47 of the first period on a defensive-zone Flames turnover.

Defenseman Noah Hanifin put the puck off the boards and onto the stick of Jason Robertson inside the blue line. Pavelski deflected Robertson’s shot over Markstrom’s glove.

Johnny Gaudreau appeared to score 43 seconds in for Calagry, but his breakaway goal was waived off for offsides.

Matthew Tkachuk and John Klingberg renewed hostilities from the first game, in which Tkachuk hammered Klingberg into the boards behind Calgary’s net late in the first period.

Tkachuk cross-checked Klingberg, who took a roughing penalty, in the aftermath of Gaudreau’s disallowed goal to send both men to the box.

The Stars were held scoreless on a pair of power-play chances and were 0 for 7 in the first two games of the series. The Flames went 0 for 3 on Thursday and scored one power-play goal on eight chances through the first two games.

• Good Post 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Dallas Stars (WC1) at Calgary Flames (P1) - (Series Even 1-1)

Given the geographical locations of these two combatants currently tied one apiece…

…would it be fair for both squads to claim that this matchup is not their first rodeo?

🐮 👦 🐮 👦 🐮 👦 🐮 👦 

Öttinger stole one, still three to go.

And the Stars doing what they do the best: playing tight boring and defensive hockey to play into the favorite's head.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, Math said:

Goalies: :flames:

Defense: :stars:

Offense: :flames:

Special teams (PP/PK): :flames:

Coaching: :flames:

Mental: :flames:

Experience: :stars:

Robustness: :flames:

Depth: :flames:

It's quite surprising to see the Stars qualified despite their coaching staff, but I'm confident the Flames with find a way to handle the magnificient Stars' checking line with their terrific -56 cumulated. Of course, young guns that could actually skate fast and score goals like Peterson will be scratched, Benn will look like a Panzer on flat tyres, Seguin will give his best but out of sync, Klingberg will make his daily gaffe leading to a Flames goal, Gurianov will be benched at his very first mistake (of if he reaches 15 offsides per game) so that Bowness will call back Comeau.

But, they have the team to drive the Flames crazy.

Or not.

Flames in 6. 

I actually like Calgary defence better...

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:
On 4/30/2022 at 8:56 PM, Math said:

I actually like Calgary defence better..

If Klingberg is limiting his tendency to be a turnover machine, the Stars' top-4 still remain legit. 

Of course, I'm absolutely thrilled for another offensive outburst of these two teams.

• Like 1