*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Boston Bruins (WC1) at Carolina Hurricanes (M1) - (CAR WINS 4-3) ***

BOS vs CAR  

8 members have voted

1. 1. The Bear.... or The Storm?

• 1- Bruins in 4. Some new stars are officially crowned as they take care of the Metro champs.
    • 2- Bruins in 5. Boston's defense proves too tough...Carolina suffers an outage!
    • 3- Bruins in 6. Good series ends with Boston determined go far and go wide, putting the Canes out in the wind.
    • 4- Bruins in 7. Fantastic series which features many ebbs n flows, but Boston comes out on top, much to the dismay of the home crowd "Jerks"
    • 5- Canes in 4. Carolina, hungry from last year, do away with the pest Bruins with no trouble at all.
    • 6- Canes in 5. Boston tries to fight back, but the Canes show there is a reason they are Metro champs and Boston is hanging around in Wild Card Town.
    • 7- Canes in 6. Great series, great hockey, but Carolina's guys all show up and outgun, and even out defend, the Bruins.
    • 8- Canes in 7. Bruins take them the distance, but in the end, nothing was going to stop the "Jerks" from their latest storm surge...Playoff Edition!

This poll is closed to new votes

1875815621_bosvscar.thumb.jpg.1cea940d2e6ae67a90cc50a414464c44.jpg

Season Series:
Canes rocked it, 3-0-0

Carolina, a team that looked last season like it might be ready for Prime Time, will try once again...this time icing a much more rounded squad, and with former Leaf Frederik Anderson on board.
Canes do everything you'd want really well, though at times their offense goes on hiatus. They get any kind of consistency going in their game, they could make short work of the Bruins.

Boston, much like the Pens, have an aging core mixed in with some very good younger players and looking for another championship so their vets can get their "just one more".
Whether the Bruins defense is tough enough as it was in year's past will be the question. Can guys like Charlie McAvoy lead Boston as their do all, two way defender?
Can either Jeremy Swayman or Linus Ullmark put the team on their back and steal games they probably shouldn't win?

Carolina will be a handful for them, but don't rule out the wily vets like Patrice Begeron handing his team all kinds of possession with his monster face off game and Brad Marchand sniping (and aggravating) his way and carrying his team into the W column.

Bruins. Hurricanes.
Series talk, right here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

1875815621_bosvscar.thumb.jpg.1cea940d2e6ae67a90cc50a414464c44.jpg

Season Series:
Canes rocked it, 3-0-0

Carolina, a team that looked last season like it might be ready for Prime Time, will try once again...this time icing a much more rounded squad, and with former Leaf Frederik Anderson on board.
Canes do everything you'd want really well, though at times their offense goes on hiatus. They get any kind of consistency going in their game, they could make short work of the Bruins.

Boston, much like the Pens, have an aging core mixed in with some very good younger players and looking for another championship so their vets can get their "just one more".
Whether the Bruins defense is tough enough as it was in year's past will be the question. Can guys like Charlie McAvoy lead Boston as their do all, two way defender?
Can either Jeremy Swayman or Linus Ullmark put the team on their back and steal games they probably shouldn't win?

Carolina will be a handful for them, but don't rule out the wily vets like Patrice Begeron handing his team all kinds of possession with his monster face off game and Brad Marchand sniping (and aggravating) his way and carrying his team into the W column.

Bruins. Hurricanes.
Series talk, right here.

This is  a tough one to call but Boston seems to have their number.  I do not care for either team but have to pick Boston, but I can see it going either way

Hurricanes have taken care of the Bruins during the regular season, however, going back some years, Boston has handled Carolina in the playoffs.
Given all that though, both the Bruins and Canes are quite different bunch since they met last two seasons ago in post play.

I believe the Canes are a more complete team, albeit, subject to scoring streaks both good and bad, while the Bruins have taken a step back from the Cup status contendership, as they pass the torch over to newer guys slowly but surely, while still maintaining a competitive and obviously, playoff viable team.

Canes should take this though....problem is, looks like Frederik Anderson will be MIA at least for Game 1, and that could be a problem for the Hurricanes if they have to rely on an unknown goalie or Antii Raanta, who doesn't seem as good as he was a couple seasons ago.

Still, I would think the Canes have enough firepower in their arsenal to overcome and possibly win high scoring games if it comes down to that, while the Bruins rely heavily on their main top line and attempt to smother the Canes offense.

Will give the set to the Canes in 6....with Anderson fully healthy, I would have said 5....but I would not be surprised at all if the Canes falter and the Bruins, ever the opportunists, prove me wrong.

From NBC Sports:
Frederik Andersen injury: Hurricanes goalie won't start Game 1 vs. Bruins | RSN (nbcsports.com)

Whatever the injury is to the Cane's starting netminder, Brind'Amour is keeping it tight to the vest.
Some sources are even saying Andersen isn't even skating at this time.

Antti Raanta didn't play so well in April and the only other choice for the Canes would be rookie Pyotr Kochetkov.
I'd imagine if Raanta has difficulties, Brind'Amour might be quick with the hook and see if he has a surprise star in the rookie goaltender!

Meanwhile, Boston will be starting Linus Ullmark, but it is very likely the Bruins may alternate goalies Ullmark and Swayman.

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I'm curious to know what you were watching?  The Canes last 4 games that Raanta played in were wins in April.  Even the Isles game where both goaltenders made appearances.

I posted while coming up with things off the top of my head I had seen from Raanta most recently. I most likely was thinking more end of March into April where he had a few sub .900 % games and he just looked..... old.

Yes, he did play well to end the season and Carolina best hope he continues that (and holds up physically) till they can get Andersen back.

• Like 1

Series is underway and Boston, right now, is looking like more the aggressive team.

Raanta has had to make 8 or 9 stops already just over 5 minutes in, and almost all looked like high stress saves too.
He is holding, though his defenseman saved him a goal just a bit ago, as most of the game is being played on his side of the ice so far.

Canes looking to turn that trend as I finish this post.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Boston Bruins (WC1) at Carolina Hurricanes (M1) - (CAR Leads 1-0)

Lee/Globe staff

image.png.d979267124769dbfa01b160d49ba9e66.png

RALEIGH, N.C. — Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy believes he has a team that won’t overreact after one game.

Playoff experience was on the Bruins’ side when they opened up their first-round series Monday night against the Hurricanes at PNC Arena.

No matter how the scoreboard looked at the end of the night, they expected to be in for a long series.

“I think you’re prepared to play the game and the adjustments come as you go along,” Cassidy said before his team suffered a 5-1 loss. “I think tonight at about 10:30, 11 o’clock, the coaching staffs on each side are going to be talking about, ‘OK, this is maybe the direction it’s going to go’, or it plays out like you think.

But that’s when the tinkering starts. I think after each game you start thinking, ‘OK, they exposed us here, we didn’t see that coming. We’ve got to do something tomorrow.’ "

The late-night film study for the coaching staff started as soon as the Bruins left the ice after the Game 1 loss.

When Cassidy looks back, he’ll think about the opportunities the Bruins let slip away despite outshooting the Hurricanes, 36-25. Carolina goalie Antti Raanta, who had appeared in five playoff games, none as a starter, stopped 35 shots, including 14 in the first period.

“Their goalie made saves,” Cassidy said. “And there’s some pucks around the front of the net we just couldn’t locate or take the right path to, but they were there. He’s paid to play, too, and he did a good job and he held them in the game early on.”

In many ways, the Hurricanes played exactly how the Bruins expected — high-tempo, in-your-face, stick-on-puck.

“They play a very particular brand of hockey and it’s been that way for a few years now and wasn’t anything that we didn’t expect,” said Taylor Hall, who scored the Bruins’ only goal.

After a scoreless first period, the Bruins had a sense of control over the game.

“That was the chatter on the bench in between the first and second, really solid road game against a team that plays well at home,” Hall said. “A lot of really good things. It was just can we create those second chances and can we hang around the net and get some bounces our way?”

The Bruins got the scoring chances they wanted, outshooting Carolina, 14-4, at one point in the first period and firing four shots on their first power play, but goals never materialized.

“It just didn’t turn into anything,” Hall said. “And they kind of turned around on us.”

The Bruins’ power play came up empty on three opportunities.

“We can’t rely on our power play against the No. 1 PK,” Cassidy said. “But it does have to give us some juice.”

Linus Ullmark gave up four goals for the first time since March 1. The insurance goal by Vincent Trocheck at the 16:59 mark in the third period added insult to injury when he fired a backhander from behind the goal line that ricocheted off Ullmark’s helmet and into the net for a 4-1 lead.

Andrei Svechnikov had an empty-netter with 2:01 remaining.

“I’m not faulting our goaltender for this,” Cassidy said. “We had some opportunities we need to finish as well like they did.”

The third line of Trent Frederic, Charlie Coyle, and Craig Smith, which had been reliable for much of the Bruins’ surge since January, struggled.

“That line had some chances but in general needs to be a little more connected,” Cassidy said.

Smith appeared to be shaken up by two hits in the third period, going to the bench, but not the dressing room, and eventually returning to the game.

The Hurricanes took control with a burst late in the second.

The game was scoreless until 20-year-old rookie Seth Jarvis got them on the board with a deflection off a Jaccob Slavin one-timer at the 16:28 mark. Jarvis, who scored 17 goals this season, got one in a 7-1 win in Boston in January.

It didn’t take long for Carolina to extend the lead.

At the 18:38 mark, Tony DeAngelo found Nino Niederreiter at the top of the left circle. Niederreiter snapped a shot from 47 feet out past Ullmark to put the Bruins in a 2-0 hole.

Hall cut the deficit in half, scoring from the slot off a pass from Erik Haula at the 2:53 mark of the third period. But Teuvo Teravainen made it a two-goal game again a little over more than four minutes later.

The Bruins have had recent success against Carolina in the postseason, knocking them out in 2019 and 2020, but the Hurricanes are a different team. Carolina swept the regular-season series and took Game 1 convincingly.

“I don’t think it was anything that we didn’t expect,” Hall said. “They do play a really good playoff style of hockey and I’m sure that they’re really looking forward to try and beat the Bruins.

It’s been a couple of series now that hasn’t gone their way and they play playoff hockey. So it’s going to be a long series no matter what happened tonight.”

Canes blast the Bruins.... Boston now hoping some home cookin will help them turn things around.

Right now, Carolina just looks like an NHL team to the Bruins' AHL squad..... NC'er.
And the Bruins lost their &^%$ during this game to boot.

Worst lead in a series, 2-0?

Not if your the Carolina Hurricanes....

Onto Boston they go!

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Boston Bruins (WC1) at Carolina Hurricanes (M1) - (CAR Leads 2-0)
7 hours ago, Samifan said:

The best part of every Bruin loss is knowing that the biggest douche in broadcasting Jack Edwards will go home sad! 

As a Bruins fan of course, i've never been a fan of Jack...yes, he's very passionate and knowledgeable when it comes to the game, but his blatant homerism during his calls have always ruined it for me. Sometimes i think Brickly must be rolling his eyes in the booth.

Bruins take another asskicking, but at least they scored a PP goal.

• Like 1

It's 2-0 and the Bruins haven't played in TD Garden yet, so the series is far from over.

Carolina held serve is the way to look at it from a glass half full Bruins fan's perspective.

But sheesh, Boston has not looked competitive since period 2 of game 1.

The Canes have matched the physical intensity Boston brings to a series and combined it with their stifling stick on puck defense. Carolina is looking like the best team in the East from the games I've watched. 

This one might be over quickly, I don't think the Canes goaltending will be a factor in this series.

That to me is the weak link of their roster, Raanta's status is unknown after leaving last night's game.

As they get deeper in the tournament and play deeper teams, goaltending is going to become more important.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Canes have matched the physical intensity Boston brings to a series and combined it with their stifling stick on puck defense.

This team has all the hallmarks of how Rod Brind'amour played the game. A true Hurricane legend.

:hocky:

• Like 3

According to NHL.com, the Bruins will be turning to Jeremy Swayman between the pipes for Game 3 in Boston.
Ullmark had his shot, now they will see if the younger goalie fares any better.

May not make much of a difference though if the Bruins can't score goals though.

Also, possibility Antti Raanta is ready to go again for the Hurricanes when the series resumes.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Boston Bruins (WC1) at Carolina Hurricanes (M1) - (CAR Leads 2-1)

Marchand, Swayman give Bruins 4-2 win, Canes lead series 2-1

ByAP
Updated: 6 hours ago

BOSTON -- — For 16 periods over six games, the Carolina Hurricanes dominated the Boston Bruins.

Five straight wins — including two in the playoffs. Twenty-six goals to three. Never did the Hurricanes even trail the Bruins over 325 minutes, 41 seconds.

“It's been a while,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said, noting that the teams didn't play in the pandemic-shortened 2021 season, so they hadn't beaten Carolina since 2020. “Playing with a lead, we’ve talked about it enough. It makes a difference for both teams.”

Brad Marchand scored the go-ahead goal to give Boston its first lead against Carolina all season. Then he added a pair of assists to help the Bruins hold on and beat the Hurricanes 4-2 in Game 3 of their first-round playoff series.

Bruins rookie Jeremy Swayman stopped 25 shots in his first career playoff start after Linus Ullmark allowed eight goals in the first two games, both Hurricanes victories. That followed a regular season in which Carolina swept all three games, outscoring the Bruins 16-1 and never trailing.

Charlie Coyle scored a short-handed goal and added an assist, and David Pastrnak had a power-play goal and an assist for Boston, which hopes to even the best-of-seven series when it hosts Game 4 on Sunday. Taylor Hall added a power-play goal for the Bruins to make it 4-1 early in the third period.

“When J.D. (Jake DeBrusk) and C.C. made that play short-handed to get us back in the game, it just changed the whole demeanor,” Marchand said. “We had been playing catch-up all series. It just felt good to know we can respond.”

Vincent Trocheck and Jaccob Slavin scored for Carolina, and backup goalie Pyotr Kochetkov made 24 saves in his first career playoff start. He took over in Game 2 after starter Antti Raanta was injured in a collision with Pastrnak.

Trocheck gave the Hurricanes a 1-0 lead, swiping in a rebound just as he was belatedly knocked down in front of the net. But Coyle tied it on a 2-on-1 give-and-go with DeBrusk with 2:44 left in the first.

“Obviously, that’s a huge goal for them,” Slavin said. “Our power play should be giving us momentum, not taking it away.”

Five minutes into second, Marchand fought for the puck along the boards and headed for the slot, where he picked up Patrice Bergeron’s deflected shot and went high over Kochetkov. It was Boston's first lead over the Hurricanes since eliminating them in the first round of the 2020 postseason.

“We know what the issue was,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour said. “We had a decent first period and then the power play gave up a shorty and they got some life out of it.”

The Hurricanes took back-to-back penalties late in the second, and soon after the 5-on-3 became a one-man advantage, Pastrnak wristed one in from the left circle to make it 3-1.

PLAYER OUT

The Hurricanes lost forward Jordan Martinook in the second period when he got his legs tangled up with Hall. Martinook got back on his skates, but couldn’t put any weight on his right ankle.

He went down the tunnel and the Hurricanes said he would not return.

“That one's going to be questionable,” Brind'Amour said. “He looked pretty rough in there.”

OFFICIAL OUT

The game was delayed for about seven minutes when a section of the glass fell on NHL off-ice official Joe Foley while he was working in the Bruins penalty box.

Play was whistled dead with 5:07 left in the second period and medical staff ran across the ice to tend to the official. He was taken off on a stretcher and given a cheer by the Boston fans.

The glass separated the Boston penalty box from the stands. Play resumed with a police officer in the stands to maintain a barrier.

NHL spokesman John Dellapina said Foley, the commercial coordinator, was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for observation.

“We heard he’s doing all right and he’s going to be fine,” Pastrnak said.