*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Washington Capitals (WC2) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (FLA WINS 4-2) ***

WSH vs FLA  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Caps or Cats? You make the call!

• 1- Capitals in 4. Ovie is healthy, is a monster, and everyone else on the team become monsters too. Florida is skinned alive!
    • 2- Capitals in 5. Wsh takes it to Florida, Panthers grab a win, but find out real quick the playoffs and regular season are NOT the same.
    • 3- Capitals in 6. Each team dictates the pace, each come out with wins because of it....but the Caps don't need a full series to upset Mr. President Trophy Winners.
    • 4- Capitals in 7. Thrilling series that features everything, including the lowly WC seed ousting the highest point getters. Would Ovie and his Caps be on their way to Lord Stanley then??
    • 5- Panthers in 4. Washington are back to being regular season competitors. Nothing more than an annoyance to the Cats.
    • 6- Panthers in 5. Capitals try but the Panthers laugh at their feeble attempts at greatness.
    • 7- Panthers in 6. Washington gives as good as they get, but Florida won't be denied, certainly not by these wild card dudes.
    • 8- Panthers in 7. Cats get a close call scare...Capitals looked like they would ruin their run, but Florida, with the dozen home ice fans behind them, pull out the distance series win!

This poll is closed to new votes

I believe it comes down to an over confident team coming up against a veteran team who has experience in the playoffs and the Capitals are giving them a huge fight.  

It is not over for the Panthers yet at all, but it is slipping away. 

Huge. Missed. Opportunity.
Looking at you, Capitals.

Yea...I will credit Florida for not going away (they never have all season), but this game was Washington's to lose, but they needed to lock %^$# down, and they didn't.

Still, when the odds makers have you as a heavy underdog against the President's Trophy winners, and you have an even series after 4, it's a win....sorta.
It's just...the taste of victory. Had to be strong for Washington.

Soured by the Panther's all too common comeback win.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Washington Capitals (WC2) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (Series Even 2-2)

This series is really now in the Panthers drivers seat heading back to Florida . They need to come out full throttle in game 5 because if they lay an egg in that game and head back to Washington Down 3 games to 2 it could easily be the end for them. 

18 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

this game was Washington's to lose, but they needed to lock %^$# down, and they didn't.

Somewhere earlier I said Washington was susceptible to pressure by good teams late in games.  

So, some same ‘ol same ‘ol.  “OK people, go home…nothing to see here! 👮‍♂️ 

Just now, SaucyJack said:

Somewhere earlier I said Washington was susceptible to pressure by good teams late in games.  

So, some same ‘ol same ‘ol.  “OK people, go home…nothing to see here! 👮‍♂️ 

Funny thing is, I've felt all season the Panthers were the same. Particularly their blue line.
Granted, not many teams have been able to do it to them, thus their sparkling record, but it can be done.

Just a matter of which team does it to the other first, I suppose.

But again, big, big missed opportunity by the Caps who go from "We can win this thing!" to "Can we win this thing?" as they contemplate on their flight back to Broward County, FL

So bummed the Caps just missed the open net when Florida had goalie pulled that led to the tying goal, which led to the win in OT. Caps had a real shot of an upset in this series, but let it slip..just inches from that empty netter. 

Was hoping to see Tom Wilson back for Game 5, tonight, but it doesn't look that way. He must be really hurting. 

6 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Was hoping to see Tom Wilson back for Game 5, tonight, but it doesn't look that way. He must be really hurting. 

Yeah, if he’s not yet ready then rest him.  Caps must win game 6 inside the beltway, and win one in Broward County.  No matter whether it be game 5 or 7.

But I do see, generally, how people want to see Tom Wilson play, given his enormous popularity amongst fans league-wide. 🎩 

3 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Yeah, if he’s not yet ready then rest him.  Caps must win game 6 inside the beltway, and win one in Broward County.  No matter whether it be game 5 or 7.

But I do see, generally, how people want to see Tom Wilson play, given his enormous popularity amongst fans league-wide. 🎩 

You are correct , but I think the Capitals need to win tonight and then take the series in game 6 in Washington.  I don't think they stand much of a chance in Florida in game 7.

Good start in game 5.

TJ Oshie goal

1-0 Capitals

Panthers got robbed on that whistle. Should be 1-1.  

Trying not to get ahead of myself, but, if the Caps can somehow take out Florida, the Leafs path to the Cup, in theory, should be so much easier. Especially, if the Caps are without Wilson going forward. 

Florida looked dreadful for most of the first but got the ship righted toward the end. Samsonov is going to get rubbered up here in the 2nd. Hope he's ready. 

Just now, 3 Palmateers said:

Oshie.

The lad from Warroad, Minnesota, way up there on Lake of the Woods, near the SE corner of Manitoba…

…is on fire.  I’d give him Caps MVP right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toronto Jules said:

The Panthers are in real trouble. This game is the crucial game for the Capitals to win and head back to Washington with the series for them to take. 

Heck, Florida is fortunate this one isn't the series ender. Perhaps, it would've been different had Florida not come back in Game 4, but this is ugly for them and Samsonov looks like prime-Vasilevskiy so far. 

• Like 1