*** 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Washington Capitals (WC2) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (FLA WINS 4-2) ***

WSH vs FLA  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Caps or Cats? You make the call!

• 1- Capitals in 4. Ovie is healthy, is a monster, and everyone else on the team become monsters too. Florida is skinned alive!
    • 2- Capitals in 5. Wsh takes it to Florida, Panthers grab a win, but find out real quick the playoffs and regular season are NOT the same.
    • 3- Capitals in 6. Each team dictates the pace, each come out with wins because of it....but the Caps don't need a full series to upset Mr. President Trophy Winners.
    • 4- Capitals in 7. Thrilling series that features everything, including the lowly WC seed ousting the highest point getters. Would Ovie and his Caps be on their way to Lord Stanley then??
    • 5- Panthers in 4. Washington are back to being regular season competitors. Nothing more than an annoyance to the Cats.
    • 6- Panthers in 5. Capitals try but the Panthers laugh at their feeble attempts at greatness.
    • 7- Panthers in 6. Washington gives as good as they get, but Florida won't be denied, certainly not by these wild card dudes.
    • 8- Panthers in 7. Cats get a close call scare...Capitals looked like they would ruin their run, but Florida, with the dozen home ice fans behind them, pull out the distance series win!

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

TVR with the goal.

Trevor only had one goal in the regular season.  His timing here was off, though.  He needed to wait a dozen seconds longer so he could enjoy free Chicken McNuggets during the break.

• Haha 1

Just now, SaucyJack said:

Trevor only had one goal in the regular season.  His timing here was off, though.  He needed to wait a dozen seconds longer so he could enjoy free Chicken McNuggets during the break.

Cut him some slack!

He's still a newb to all this "offense" stuff...

Florida looking real shaky in their end right now.
Panicking a bit, not thinking through all their clearing options.

Sure, Washington is harassing them and forcing quick decisions, but Florida's overall poise definitely looks stirred and shaken.
Not an uncommon thing from them, even during the regular season though.

Panthers are great at creating pressure but their confidence on defense isn't impenetrable, and is subject to some doubt amongst themselves....IF a team can push them that far.
Right now, Washington is doing just that.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

their confidence on defense isn't impenetrable, and is subject to some doubt

I was just thinking that the Caps forwards were finding it easier than average to carry the puck over the blue line on the wings and get by the first Florida defender.  The body checks attempted by Florida rather half-hearted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaucyJack said:

I was just thinking that the Caps forwards were finding it easier than average to carry the puck over the blue line on the wings and get by the first Florida defender.  The body checks attempted by Florida rather half-hearted.

Yea, as good as the Panthers have been this season (I mean, President's trophy n all), their confidence at the blue line under duress seems exploitable.
Has been all year.
Granted, that is something that over time they can adjust to...experience in big games at big times (playoffs!) should be a fantastic teacher for them.

But at this point in time, I feel the Capitals have the grizzled personnel to exploit Florida when they are unsure.
It's why I picked this series as my upset special, despite the Panthers' achievements, with WSH winning in 6.

My favorite part of the Ovi goal is the scene for the crowd celebration. I thought the guy in the Cousins jersey was my favorite thing but turns out the two people sitting there laughing at cat memes on Facebook is. 

image.png.a2a74b9105d26c5c78833f85c97d423c.png

Let's see if Florida has one of their patented comebacks in them in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

My favorite part of the Ovi goal is the scene for the crowd celebration. I thought the guy in the Cousins jersey was my favorite thing but turns out the two people sitting there laughing at cat memes on Facebook is. 

image.png.a2a74b9105d26c5c78833f85c97d423c.png

Let's see if Florida has one of their patented comebacks in them in the playoffs. 

That comeback will have to wait for another day because the Caps just scored an EN goal to put them up 5-1

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Playoffs Opening Round: Washington Capitals (WC2) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (WSH Leads 2-1)
21 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I feel the Capitals have the grizzled personnel to exploit Florida when they are unsure.
It's why I picked this series as my upset special, despite the Panthers' achievements, with WSH winning in 6.

Monday night will be telling.  Can the Cats amp up the physicality?  Can the Caps become more consistent and sustain committed play for 2 games in a row?

Your prediction is looking pretty good right now!  

• Like 1

6-1, but it was all academic at 5-1.
Sixth goal was just the cherry on top..........maybe WSH should have saved that one for Game 4 ;) 

Very solid win by the Caps, great all around play by the team and Samsonov, after looking questionable on the only goal he gave up, proved he was up to the task the rest of the way.

Caps, skating with the Cats. 

Doing a great job getting sticks on pucks and bodies on shooters.

The Caps have played as well as they're capable with guys out of the lineup.

I don't know if they have an extra gear.

The Panthers have an abundance of talent and I don't think they've played well yet, it could be that reason is Washington. 

The Caps were a 100 pt team.

They are good and they are playing better than Florida through 3 games

This series result is just so far.

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The Caps have played as well as they're capable with guys out of the lineup.

I don't know if they have an extra gear.

The Panthers have an abundance of talent and I don't think they've played well yet

Yes, watching this series so far, one would never think Florida is best in the East.  And they might not be.  

1990 and 1998 and 2018 as the huge exceptions, for forty years Washington have been big playoff disappointments. One day I plan to chronicle all the blown 3-1 (or 2-0 in 5-game series) leads, all the game 7 losses, etc.  Even if they win Monday to lead 3-1, it is no assurance of advancement.  

This year, against well-playing squads, the Caps have looked very much pressured in the clutch, late in 3rd periods.  Can the Cats pressure them?

We’ll all see.  Ovie looks determined but that has not been enough in earlier years.  

I’d like to say that Backstrom and Oshie practice that play.  I mean, Backs is one helluvan assist man, a great passer.  And Osher has already shown his puck tipping abilities in front of net.

But not so much with the knee.  

And not so much with Niklas taking a shot from the point.

Florida need to stay focused and withstand the unlucky bad-break goal against them.  Caps take the early lead.

Samsonov not looking good on giving up that 2-on-1 goal by Florida’s Verhaeghe.  Bouncing puck didn’t allow a great shot but it still went 5-hole through the unbalanced Sammy.

At least the score is now fair at 1-1.  Should be nil-nil but oh wellll…

Fehervary can’t convert the breakaway coming out of the penalty box.

Cats now an abysmal zero for a dozen with the man advantage.

….and now on their 13th try, John Carlson nearly snares a shortie for Washington.

…and Caps no better; no offensive zone time on a 40-second 5-on-3, then they nearly give up a shortie.

Edited by SaucyJack

Game is still in doubt (currently still 1-1 in the 3rd), but the Capitals continuing to play the Panthers tough and look like they could still skate away with a 3-1 series lead after tonight.

One thing is for sure:
Alex Ovechkin put on his hitting shoes tonight!

#8 making like a freight train all over the place...

Panthers trying to dial up the tempo, but Washington staying right with them.

Absurdly low SOG for the Caps however.
Credit the Panthers for blocking lots of them and/or keeping the Capitals to the perimeter, but also seeing WSH players passing up obvious shots or missing nets.

Garnet Hathaway playing a real good overall game.

Florida doesn’t look all that physical tonight, but they are back-checking better.  Both teams good in that respect.  I think the ice may be chippy, leading to a disjointed game.

Big, big goal by the Capitals just now to take a 2-1 lead.

Oshie smashes a Panther player, causing a turnover and confusion, the Kuznetsov finishes the deed by putting one past Bobrovsky.

Panthers better come up with answers quickly.
Even with minimal shots, the Caps are looking like the more dangerous team!