And we wonder why the team has been bad.

Listen to the difference in these two pressers

I'd hate to see him "blossom" for another team. He has talent.

But I don't know if the guy in the first link plays on my team.

He sure as hell doesn't wear a letter on his sweater.

Ivan needs to grow up. Hopefully what "didn't kill him will make him stronger".

I'd prefer he grows with the Flyers but if there's a good offer, I'd definitely listen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He was a weak player after his concussion. 

I knew I've had you on ignore for a reason.

20 years ago, prior to everything we've learned about CTE, maybe that statement doesn't sound barbaric.

Today ? 

I think you've missed the point here, and by a lot. 

9 isn't taking responsibility for his season. 

Laughton is. 

Laughts didn't throw his buddy under the bus. This is a bad quality?

Like Provorov. 

Ivan needs to grow up.

He isn't going to reflect on his play. He thinks he was fine.

He is wrong. It's everyone else's fault.

Okay- good talk enjoy your summer. 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd prefer he grows with the Flyers but if there's a good offer, I'd definitely listen.

Have no problem with what Ivan Provorov said he spoke the truth, who did he throw under the bus?

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

32 minutes ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

Have no problem with what Ivan Provorov said he spoke the truth, who did he throw under the bus?

My issue with his presser is he didn't take responsibility for his un even play.

Deflected any accountability with his " you're all experts" remarks.

I don't think that his attitude is that of a good leader.

Put it this way,  I wouldn't be in a hurry to follow or rely on that guy.

YMMV

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My issue with his presser is he didn't take responsibility for his un even play.

YMMV

yeah, i mean god this team is in the lottery, playing like crap and the last thing we need to hear is excuses for these players, it's time to move these players that dont care and dont have backbones. there's no reason for this crap at all like seriously this fanbase has really lost their winning mentality after 2010 and start cudding to the players because after 10 years of the same players, same result no accountability to the players, we change coaches every year nothing changes. it's like we are changing coaches to satisfy the players and not changing the players to change the culture.

its accountability time, no more excuses.  it's time for major changes on the whole roster and keep players that's committed to winning. and not make excuses. i dont care who goes right now, that's how bad this is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The cockiness and assuredness of a player who has achieved absolutely nothing and who the team has bent over backwards to find an appropriate pairing is the heart and soul of the current Flyers' organization*.

They are great players for a great organization* who simply deserve better than they have achieved.

And it's not their fault.

Just listen to them. They're telling you.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

YMMV

He isn't excluding himself at all,he said everyone that would include himself.I think your reading too much into this

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

He isn't excluding himself at all,he said everyone that would include himself.I think your reading too much into this

We can disagree, I think you're not observing his non-verbal behavior.

I'm not building my team around that guy, until he grows up. I might be waiting a long time for that based upon the non-verbal cues he put out there.

Case and point, the organization is no longer providing a link for his presser. I had to get it from Twitter. 

Like @radoransaid he's achieved nothing but acts like he's a Norris finalist.

I think he's part of the problem presently,  I hope he can be part of the solution also. I'm not counting on it though. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

We can disagree, I think you're not observing his non-verbal behavior.

I'm not building my team around that guy, until he grows up. I might be waiting a long time for that based upon the non-verbal cues he put out there.

Case and point, the organization is no longer providing a link for his presser. I had to get it from Twitter. 

Like @radoransaid he's achieved nothing but acts like he's a Norris finalist.

I think he's part of the problem presently,  I hope he can be part of the solution also. I'm not counting on it though. 

yeah im hearing there's alot of issues with him in the lockerroom, so im not shocked if gets moved.

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

After the season he just went through, I think the guy deserves a break

Laughton sounded more useless to me. I love how he talks about the team needing guys who are tougher and fight more. I keep hearing from all his cheerleaders in this forum that he's that guy.

I guess not. 

15 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Sure.  Since Chuck is so great at getting proper value, or even more value, in return with his trades...  Oh wait...

Sure.  Since Chuck isn't known for overpaying age beyond it's prime when a roster spot, such as Provorov's will be if traded, opens up...  Oh wait...

I have no issues with what Provorov said.  He's absolutely right about the media in this city.  He's absolutely right that more players on this roster need to hate to lose even more than they like to win.  And, he's absolutely right that towards the end of the season, when the youth was in the roster, they looked better, even with an inferior, incompetent coaching staff.  The issue I have with Provy is his consistency.  He's had games where he's showed he has the skill and talent to be a #2 or #3 NHL dman(he's not a #1 dman).  The issue is this team needs him to play 65+ games like that in a season, instead of only ~20 games like that in a season.  What he said was just fine.  Nothing about the conference should lead anyone to believe his maturity is an issue.  Absolutely nothing about what he said should question if he should have a letter on his chest.  And absolutely nothing he said should lead any player on this team to wonder if he plays on their team.  What he said is absolutely right.  What he needs is a competent front office that has the knowledge and ability to find him a #1 dman that can actually play this game and isn't just looking to collect their paycheck.

Laughton needs to realize he's a 4th line NHL center.  And, he needs to concentrate on himself and his own game.  He was a weak player after his concussion.  He should have realized that, and improved that before the end of the season, instead of just continuing to do very little to help the team.  He's an overpriced 4th line center that must be better for this team to have more success.  Whether his voice became larger this season isn't relevant.  Because, if it did, the team clearly didn't respond to that larger voice the way it should to a true, successful locker room voice.

What was hilarious to hear is what a great person Yandle is.  And I'm sure he is.  That's great.  But, NOT ONCE was anything said about the PLAYER that he is.  Of course, with good reason.  But, it was still hilarious.

TLDR

43 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

yeah im hearing there's alot of issues with him in the lockerroom, so im not shocked if gets moved.

Care to elaborate? What are the issues? Where are you hearing that?

@mojo1917

I think it's a little unfair to compare Laughton's presser with Provorov's, first because English is not Provorov's primary language. So I cut him some slack. He was certainly defensive at the beginning but hey that's what he gets paid for. 🙂 And second because Laughton is one of the smartest, most well-spoken guys on the team.

And when a player, a coach recaps a bad season it may or may not be a bunch of excuses. It may be just what happened.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think it's a little unfair to compare Laughton's presser with Provorov's, first because English is not Provorov's primary language. So I cut him some slack. He was certainly defensive at the beginning but hey that's what he gets paid for. 🙂 And second because Laughton is one of the smartest, most well-spoken guy

You are a kind soul.

He's been in the US since he's been 14 though.

I see your point, but it doesn't sway my opinion. 

He's been in the US since he's been 14 though.

True. But what you hear and imitate first, as a child, stays for life. People overcome it of course but it takes a lot of work. Anyway just listen to the guy! Every other word out his mouth is either "you know" or "yeah." ...short breaks as he collects his thoughts, translates to English and then spits them out.

I do agree with you in this sense - there is quite a contrast between the two. Laughton is relaxed, eager to answer, he even compliments 2 different reporters...you can tell he enjoys sharing what he thinks. Provorov OTOH is combative (on the "grade yourself" question) and clearly doesn't want to be there. He's more comfortable toward the end and if you listen to his recap of the season - around 8:00 - I'd say it's a pretty fair and honest rundown.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
final sentence added "and honest"
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The love affair this forum has with Scott Laughton just baffles me

And your utter disdain for the guy boggles my mind.

What is so terrible about a slightly-overpaid 3C who can slot in up and down the lineup, is an aggressive penalty-killer and who everyone on the team seems to like? Jeez brother nobody is claiming he's the Second Coming for chrissakes ...lol... just that he's a good, solid bottom-6 forward who other players seem to rally around. To me (most of us I think) he plays the game "the right way."

I disagree with some of the opinions above. I can't stand those guys that crap on the media and don't take accountability on themselves. Yes, definitely, at times media can suck, and sometimes their opinion pieces are worse than ours, but it's just words and it's what they do. Players get paid millions of dollars to play a game, and dealing with media is part of the job. Suck it up, take it, and be better. Be better and the media will fall in line. It's not the other way around. 

If you're old enough think back to the Great One. Gretzky was the media master. He could score 4 goals in a a game and he'd spend the entire presser saying how well his winger (who maybe had one assist) played or how his D man got him the puck or how he missed a read on the other team's single goal against and how he had to be better at that. That's how you do it. Full accountability and a constant strive to be better. 

Guys who pass the buck and refuse to bear the burden of accountability should be shown the door. 

Edited by GrittyForever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

The love affair this forum has with Scott Laughton just baffles me

From Charlie O'Connor's year end report card

Laughton shouldn’t be one of the Flyers’ better forwards.

That’s not a slight against Laughton. But he’s a player who is best served as a Swiss Army knife role player, the good version of a “glue guy” who can fill in at multiple spots, provide grit and heart, while also chipping in with some offense here and there and posting solid underlying metrics. On a very good team, he’s somewhere in the No. 7-10 range of best forwards.

On this Flyers club? He was easily in the top four when ranking out the most consistently effective ones.

Laughton’s 30 points in 67 games paces out to about 37 over a full season, and is his second-most efficient scoring campaign after 2019-20. And it was spent in large part playing center — not his ideal position — due to the team’s injury woes. Also, out of the forwards on the team that played more than 40 games, Laughton ranked second (behind Giroux) in xG impact (+0.069). Laughton scored at a solid clip, drove play and stepped up into a larger leadership role. He did his job.

He gave Laughton a "B".

Sarge played well this year, by the metrics and by the eyeballs.

He's not a star, but he is good at his job(s) on this team.

This year, he was one of the few players who were not objectively terrible. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And your utter disdain for the guy boggles my mind.

What is so terrible about a slightly-overpaid 3C who can slot in up and down the lineup, is an aggressive penalty-killer and who everyone on the team seems to like? Jeez brother nobody is claiming he's the Second Coming for chrissakes ...lol... just that he's a good, solid bottom-6 forward who other players seem to rally around. To me (most of us I think) he plays the game "the right way."

Any other player on this team,  who is overpaid, gets lambasted regularly, and is another example of the inept management.  But not this guy.

I do agree with you on one point, he does "play". My issue with him is that he could be worthy of the praise he receives here. But he strikes me as a guy content to do just enough

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

From Charlie O'Connor's year end report card

Laughton shouldn’t be one of the Flyers’ better forwards.

That’s not a slight against Laughton. But he’s a player who is best served as a Swiss Army knife role player, the good version of a “glue guy” who can fill in at multiple spots, provide grit and heart, while also chipping in with some offense here and there and posting solid underlying metrics. On a very good team, he’s somewhere in the No. 7-10 range of best forwards.

On this Flyers club? He was easily in the top four when ranking out the most consistently effective ones.

Laughton’s 30 points in 67 games paces out to about 37 over a full season, and is his second-most efficient scoring campaign after 2019-20. And it was spent in large part playing center — not his ideal position — due to the team’s injury woes. Also, out of the forwards on the team that played more than 40 games, Laughton ranked second (behind Giroux) in xG impact (+0.069). Laughton scored at a solid clip, drove play and stepped up into a larger leadership role. He did his job.

He gave Laughton a "B".

Sarge played well this year, by the metrics and by the eyeballs.

He's not a star, but he is good at his job(s) on this team.

This year, he was one of the few players who were not objectively terrible. 

So he is a "B" player on the 4th worst roster in the league. 

Way to go Laughton!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@CoachX

I know right ? In the article there are no "a"'s given and rightfully so. 

Boyfriend here is one of 4 players to even receive a "b" and one of those guys is playing in Florida.

I know we're having fun here, but people outside of our little enclave here think Laughton is decent too, not just us "fanboys".

excited will smith GIF

Edited by mojo1917

@mojo1917

I really think the guy could be one of those players who is a gnarly spark plug for the team. It just seems to me won't go there. In this forum it's talked about like he does,  and occasionally you see an offensive flash. But in my mind, he's lacking

• Like 2

but people outside of our little enclave here think Laughton is decent too, not just us "fanboys".

58 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It just seems to me won't go there. In this forum it's talked about like he does,  and occasionally you see an offensive flash. But in my mind, he's lacking

Laughton is what he is. He's a competent hockey player. His role is bottom six. As for points of the 16 guys 26-30 making $3-3.5M a year he's 9th in points and 10th in points per game.

People like him here because he's a draft pick. People hate him here because familiarity breeds contempt - compounded by the experience of the past 10 years.

IMO he's here at the rate he's at because he's a Homer draft pick.

He's fine. Nothing more. Nothing less.

• Like 1