Pushed around by the 2nd worst team in hockey

Guest Phillygrump

Out worked, out hit, out skated, and out played start to freaking finish.

I can't figure this team out and I have trouble really liking this team. I like the youth, but I just don't like the lack of consistency in the effort department. This team always seems to need "waking up" either at intermission or between letdown games. I'm sick of that as a fan.

What does it take to get professional athletes motivated to compete hard every night? Why don't these guys HATE losing? Why are they content to start slow and stuff their heads up their rear ends for a period here and there and in this example for an entire game?

They squandered a pretty good effort by Bryz tonight.

I just don't get this team. They allow themselves to get pushed around. They don't stick up for each other a whole lot. They lost soft and emotionless.

How can you have a sleepwalking game like this on the heels of a night where you fought back hard and pulled out your first win against a team who has owned you for the last two seasons while smugly taunting you the entire time?

What does this team need (besides goaltending) to knock loose this sense of entitlement and commit to fighting night in and night out to win at all cost?

I never thought i would say this but I have to stop watching the Flyers trying to play hockey.........not sure what they refer to the abortion that was on the ice tonight but wow.......

I literally have to step back from the precipice NOW......

Good Morning:

I hate to say it but we may be watching something else: Two style of developing a team. Our nucleus was obtained largely by trade--their's via draft. Their kids will grow together as a unit...ours will hopefully grow together over time. Having five first rounders playing together who were drafted by the team...Edmonton may be a power to reckon with a year or two down the road...we will be wondering about work ethic (which may have been picked up in Columbus or wherever) and chemistry.

Peace,

Howie

What is it with this team playing only 20 or 40 minutes of hockey?

We thought it was the coach (Stevens), and now he's gone, but the problem remains.

We thought it was the party boys (Lupul, Richards, Carter), but they're all gone and the problem remains.

Any ideas? I'm sure Homer is open to suggestions at this point?

Is it us? Do we care to much?!? j/k ;)

Too much of Individual effort and not enough team work. Simmonds in front of the net and the shots go everywhere else or get blocked. Passing is a lost art with more than one player. If you try to force the issue chances are it is not getting through.

Out worked, out hit, out skated, and out played start to freaking finish.

I can't figure this team out and I have trouble really liking this team. I like the youth, but I just don't like the lack of consistency in the effort department. This team always seems to need "waking up" either at intermission or between letdown games. I'm sick of that as a fan.

What does it take to get professional athletes motivated to compete hard every night? Why don't these guys HATE losing? Why are they content to start slow and stuff their heads up their rear ends for a period here and there and in this example for an entire game?

They squandered a pretty good effort by Bryz tonight.

I just don't get this team. They allow themselves to get pushed around. They don't stick up for each other a whole lot. They lost soft and emotionless.

How can you have a sleepwalking game like this on the heels of a night where you fought back hard and pulled out your first win against a team who has owned you for the last two seasons while smugly taunting you the entire time?

What does this team need (besides goaltending) to knock loose this sense of entitlement and commit to fighting night in and night out to win at all cost?

The skaters are in a stunned state. They do NOT appear to like Bryz over Bob and it shows with their effort. He is not one of the group, not one you go to fight for. Give Bob a series of starts, and assuming he plays well or better overall, you will see that jump return.

They do NOT appear to like Bryz over Bob and it shows with their effort

Wait, you can tell just by watching that the team gives less of an effort when Bryz is playing? Then why have Briere, Giroux, and JVR all publicly defended him recently? And if the team plays better for Bob, why does he have worse stats than Bryz?

They are defending him NOW because the fans are really piling it on. How many comments did Briere and Timonen make earlier in the season when the whole team wasn't in one of its annual slumps? The team is in one of those slumps, and that week of the back door goals against killed Bob's stats. Even then, Bryz SHOULD have better stats, he's the vet! It shouldn't be close at all.

The skaters are in a stunned state. They do NOT appear to like Bryz over Bob and it shows with their effort. He is not one of the group, not one you go to fight for. Give Bob a series of starts, and assuming he plays well or better overall, you will see that jump return.

The only thing that makes me lean toward disagreeing with you here is the 3rd period against the Penguins on Saturday at home. Bob was their starter in the 3rd and they just disappeared.

They are defending him NOW because the fans are really piling it on. How many comments did Briere and Timonen make earlier in the season when the whole team wasn't in one of its annual slumps? The team is in one of those slumps, and that week of the back door goals against killed Bob's stats. Even then, Bryz SHOULD have better stats, he's the vet! It shouldn't be close at all.

Well, I completely agree with your last statement but I haven't seen any evidence that the team plays better in front of Bob than they do in front of Bryz. Defensively they've just been bad, period.

The only thing that makes me lean toward disagreeing with you here is the 3rd period against the Penguins on Saturday at home. Bob was their starter in the 3rd and they just disappeared.

Bryz soft goal a mania. The skaters believed they already lost that game before Bob came in. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Not to sound like a broken record, but maybe Lavi's high octane 'SYSTEM' is burning the team out and the need to conserve the effort at times just to be able to make through a game....

It's not peewee, they are pros. They can certainly play a whole game at any tempo, if they choose to. Lavy uses his fourth line well to spell the other three, they have energy. Some guys need to get their heads on straight and play for keeps.

Bryz soft goal a mania. The skaters believed they already lost that game before Bob came in. Self fulfilling prophecy.

I think thats a cop out and if that is true I have a tough time supporting a team that tosses in the towel in the 3rd period of a tie game against a bitter rival after the problematic goalie has been replaced.

I don't buy that is the reason they blew it.

@doom88

I believe it, but in that situation Bryz is no excuse. If thats all the character this team has in a situation like that then shame on them and kiss the hope of a championship goodbye. Adversity takes many forms in pro sports and you need to learn and strive to overcome.

You are absolutely right. I think this team is still missing a Lappy. Talbot can do it on the ice and keep the room light, but Lappy was even more.