"Lavy Rips Flyers" after Oilers loss

Guest radoran

You could always hope Lindy Ruff gets fired in Buffalo.

As long as you're looking for "Coaches Philly Hates" to coach the Flyers... ;-)

Ha! I read the first line and my immediate reaction was - but I HATE Lindy Ruff. Even more than Torts. And then I read your second line. Well played!

Tocchet will be a Flyers coach someday. It's gotta happen. Not sure if he'd be any good... but that's how the old boys network rolls here in Philly. It's the only explanation for Chief running our PP.

You're probably right about Toc. But Joey Mullen runs the PP.

@brelic

I hope not. His system is a little annoying, his line combos have me scratching my head at times. But to be honest, I like him at the helm a hell of a lot more anything we've had in 15-16 years. Hitch had his moments, but often his hockey product was dull. Stevens was just a wuss. Barber was selected due to the good ol boy network and was in over his head (not due to his coaching abilities, rather his personal life and the s hit team he was handed). Ramsey was given too short of a leash in my opinion but wasn't the best for the long term.

Thats the thing. I like him as coach but seems the players are not responding... Same issue as last year. And this team is 50-60% new players.

The players aren't responding?? Did you see the game Tuesday night? What better proof do you need that this team has "bought in" entirely to Lavy's go-go-go system?

I don't get these "no effort" posts at all (not that you were saying that ID). We're seeing weak goaltending, some sloppy defensive zone coverage and some serious offensive firepower. Some nights it's enough. Some nights the "firepower" isn't clicking but the weak goaltending and the D-zone mistakes continue - and so Edmonton shuts us out.

I don't get these "no effort" posts at all (not that you were saying that ID). We're seeing weak goaltending, some sloppy defensive zone coverage and some serious offensive firepower. Some nights it's enough. Some nights the "firepower" isn't clicking but the weak goaltending and the D-zone mistakes continue - and so Edmonton shuts us out.

It was hard to conclude from watching the Edmonton game that the game belonged in the "no effort" category. But than Lavy, himself, comes out and publicly chastises his team for exactly that - lack of effort. Maybe the better way of saying that is the effort was not consistent throughout the game, which you can also safely say about at least 1/3 of the games the Flyers played so far this year. Around Thanksgiving, they were making a habit of not showing up for the 1st period at all and warming up by the time of the second period. I am buying that. There were clearly patches of the game - and the season overall - when the team let their collective foot off the gas pedal. And I think that is probably something that Lavy was hot about.

As terrible as goaltending was all season long, I don’t know if I can say the goaltending did cost the team last night. Sure he let in one goal he should’ve had, but it’s not like the team totally fell apart and just threw a flag of surrender. I didn’t quite see it that way. In previous games – yes. Not so much last night. What I am trying to say is that I am not quite ready to put every single loss, every single game where the team has not given it 100% consistently, on Bryzgalov. He is a big ……strike that… HUGE part of the problem, but the skaters should be held accountable as well.

He is a big ……strike that… HUGE part of the problem, but the skaters should be held accountable as well.

Oh sure and I don't think anyone is saying different. I didn't mean to and if my post came across that way it was unintended. But Lavy "ripping the team" for their lack of effort in the 2nd struck me as a bit overboard when he doesn't even allude to, let alone mention the bad goal.

At this point - in this thread - I'm trying to quantify the unquantifiable (if that's a word). I'm trying to guess how that "HUGE part of the problem" is affecting the skaters, not only last night (which of course is a bad example since we didn't score at all) but over the long haul of a season. Maybe it's unknowable, maybe not even the skaters can tell us even if they wanted to. But I watched us basically "own" the Oilers for the first 20, then the 2 goals early in the 2nd and suddenly we were mistake-prone, losing draws, blowing coverage, giving up odd-mans and playing totally out-of-sync. The 3rd we regrouped and fired a bunch of shots on Dubnyk but without much traffic in front.

I don't know...there's no answer I guess. Does bad goaltending hurt the team more than what's reflected on the jumbotron? I think so, especially when it's consistently bad for this long. But I suppose there's no way to prove it, and your point is well-taken - the skaters have to answer, no matter what or how many go into our net.

@canoli

The only thing I can say - or guess - is that Lavy is not ready to throw his goalie under the bus. Not yet. And I don't think he ever will, because that will basically be the end of it. The already shattered confidence of Bryz will not take it and he will implode. In fact, other than Mike Keenan who did a character assasination of Jon Casey 15 years ago (or so), I don't recall any head coach throwing his goalie under the bus. It doesn't happen in the NHL because you can't expose your most important player to the degree where you question his competence. It reeks of terrible consequences. It's easier to critisize the team as a whole, obviously. But make no mistake, Lavy, and the rest of the team (including a stick boy, a towel boy and everybody's cousin), knows that Bryzgalov has been bad. But this particular game - there are many players to be blame, including him.

Ya I guess you're right, it's just not done. Sometimes I wonder though if we're doing the goaltender any favors by "protecting" him that way. So much of any achievement is about confidence but I guess it'd take a psychologist (or maybe a team of them) to determine correctly when the right time is to question a guy's ability and when to protect it.

I suppose in any case the media is the wrong place to do it - whatever you're (as a coach) trying to achieve with a player.

Tocchet will be a Flyers coach someday. It's gotta happen. Not sure if he'd be any good... but that's how the old boys network rolls here in Philly. It's the only explanation for Chief running our PP.

The Phantoms did well under Chief. I can't tell you the number of Phantoms players that were devasted when Chief left and they got Paddock for a head coach.

I think Chief may be an ok coach.

The Phantoms did well under Chief. I can't tell you the number of Phantoms players that were devasted when Chief left and they got Paddock for a head coach.

I think Chief may be an ok coach.

Agreed. A player's career has nothing to do with what kind of coach he might be.

Scotty Bowman says "hi"

Wayne Gretzky is probably just as happy if you didn't mention it.

Agreed. A player's career has nothing to do with what kind of coach he might be.

Scotty Bowman says "hi"

Wayne Gretzky is probably just as happy if you didn't mention it.

LOL, fair enough. I know, of course, that being a great player is not a requisite for being a great coach. After all, isn't the old adage "Those who can't, teach" ?

Then again, the players loved John Stevens and were devastated when he left. Is he a great coach?

I think a lot of coaching is also dependent on right place, right time, right team.

LOL, fair enough. I know, of course, that being a great player is not a requisite for being a great coach. After all, isn't the old adage "Those who can't, teach" ?

Then again, the players loved John Stevens and were devastated when he left. Is he a great coach?

I think a lot of coaching is also dependent on right place, right time, right team.

That's the magic.

Win today, walk together forever.

@Bertmega

"Barber was selected due to the good ol boy network and was in over his head (not due to his coaching abilities, rather his personal life and the s hit team he was handed)."

Not for nothing, but Barber did coach the Phantoms to their first Calder cup, was selected as Head coach of the AHL all star game and won the Jack Adams with the Flyers. It seemed that whatever coaching ability he had, went out the window the year his wife was suffering and passed away.

@Vanflyer

@Bertmega

Not for nothing, but Barber did coach the Phantoms to their first Calder cup, was selected as Head coach of the AHL all star game and won the Jack Adams with the Flyers.

I should have looked at that part (AHL coaching). I missed that one completely, good point taken on my end Van. I remember liking him, but scratching my head as to why another former Flyer was heading the team. I also remember wanting Clarke gone too (clarkemustgo.com). Hard to believe this was a decade ago.... Even stranger that Holmgren has almost been at the helm for almost 5 years.

@Bertmega - you forgot to mention that we didn't tell Roger Nielsen to go get cancer. I didn't at least. I'm sure you didn't. Maybe it was @orange_crush? I could see him doing that.

Oh, and I agree. Not the time to fire Lavy....

I actually was always a big Roger Neilsen fan and was pissed the way the Flyers handled the situation..