Mike Yeo NOT returning as Head Coach for Flyers / Who do you want?

We all knew he was a lame duck for the last half of the season,but I guess this makes it official...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/5/3/23054697/philadelphia-flyers-head-coach-mike-yeo-not-returning-report-kevin-weekes

I've heard names such as Dineen and Tochett.  Personally as much as I loved Tochett as a player, I want this organization to go outside Flyers history and former players... (yeah I know AV was outside the Flyers organization, but you get my point.

Who does everyone want?

More importantly...who is available?????

• Like 1

I don't see where this will be feasible, but I like the guy that coached Minnesota State and in the USDP.

Mike Hastings.

I think this coaching project is about building something, it's not about maintaining or reestablishing after a down year.

Stuff is broke, and a coach that can develop talent, institute accountability and create a winning culture is what's needed. Hastings understands the Gen Z athlete, that can't be underestimated. 

Fonzi, Quennville, DeBoer, Maurice all those guys do nothing for me.

Quennville shouldn't be allowed to coach again after the 'Hawks scandal. Plus, what's he got to prove at 63 with championships?

I can't help but think a retread is coming our way. I've seen Tocchet and Dineen mentioned also @pilldoc

Whatever, those guys might be fine, I don't subscribe to the "no Old Flyers " mantra, they could be alright but again, they've already failed in the NHL so did they learn ?

Plus the hiring or Hastings would signal to me at least, the recognition that **** is indeed broke and we're starting anew.

I stand completely ready to be whelmed maybe under-whelmed by the coaching selection.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Not that my .02 matters, but i thought that Yeo, was a sh!t choice from the jump....any team he's been the HC at, has been much improved after his departure, and the flyers were less than dismal after his arrival.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What are those I'm not aware of them?

Jim likes to drink and had more than one "egregious act of unprofessionalism" while coaching the Stars.

I think he would be a guy to take a chance on as well. 

He's got something to prove and in this instance, Homer may be able to be helpful.

I feel certain he won't be considered though

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Jim likes to drink and had more than one "egregious act of unprofessionalism" while coaching the Stars.

He's got something to prove and in this instance, Homer may be able to be helpful.

Ok. I want whatever guy has the best way to guide this team. From system installs to teaching the youth.

I will hold my breathe and see what happens.

But yeah I am all for giving someone a second chance if he is the right guy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok. I want whatever guy has the best way to guide this team. From system installs to teaching the youth.

I will hold my breathe and see what happens.

But yeah I am all for giving someone a second chance if he is the right guy.

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And God forbid nothing wrong with going outside the box and being bold...

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

I would not be surprised if they haven't even started yet.

Fletcher says they haven't.

says they're coming up with a list of what they're looking for.

yay.

also this so...

Look it's E 10 or whatever but still. It seems like no one knows wtf is going on.

Personally, I want Tortorella, and I give him carte blanche> Anybody who doesn't give him the work ethic he requires gets the door. 

But it'll be Tochett. There'll be some pile of rhetoric about Flyer pride and understanding what it means to be a Flyer and returning to Flyers hockey and a bunch of other words like that. Bet on it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll say Neal Broten. Never coached a day in his life. Minnesota North Stars alltime leading scorer though. And he's from Minnesota. If Homer and Fletch read this, consider it a done deal.

Haha, one of my favourite. Why not, but close all the bars around and set a curfew.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Fletcher says they haven't.

Fletcher didn't even have a plan to replace AV when he canned him.

If they JUST TODAY decided they weren't going forward with Yeo, that's borderline irresponsible.

And then, holy crap, that Eklind reshuffle...

That would mean there is some kind of plan, but honestly how "extensive" a search do they need? Is there some coach hiding under a rock (or coaching soccer) somewhere they are hoping to find?

• Like 1

I saw Luke Richardson's name in an article.

He sort of checks some boxes. 

Defense, Chuck mentioned that needs to be better.

Has NHL assistant experience, AHL head coaching experience, International experience.

At one time he was considered a bright assistant poised to take the next step in the NHL.

He is a former Flyer.

He is not a retread, so there is that.

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I still think this front office is set on Tocchet, if he wants the job, or even wants any coaching job at this point.  Not sure he's the right guy for the job here though.

Of course they are. Wash, rinse, repeat. Next "yes" man up

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't see where this will be feasible, but I like the guy that coached Minnesota State and in the USDP.

Mike Hastings.

I think this coaching project is about building something, it's not about maintaining or reestablishing after a down year.

Stuff is broke, and a coach that can develop talent, institute accountability and create a winning culture is what's needed. Hastings understands the Gen Z athlete, that can't be underestimated. 

Fonzi, Quennville, DeBoer, Maurice all those guys do nothing for me.

Quennville shouldn't be allowed to coach again after the 'Hawks scandal. Plus, what's he got to prove at 63 with championships?

I can't help but think a retread is coming our way. I've seen Tocchet and Dineen mentioned also @pilldoc

Whatever, those guys might be fine, I don't subscribe to the "no Old Flyers " mantra, they could be alright but again, they've already failed in the NHL so did they learn ?

Plus the hiring or Hastings would signal to me at least, the recognition that **** is indeed broke and we're starting anew.

I stand completely ready to be whelmed maybe under-whelmed by the coaching selection.

Pretty much disagree with all this

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What are those I'm not aware of them?

He HAD alcohol issues. From what I've read, he's resolved those issues

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

Fletcher didn't even have a plan to replace AV when he canned him.

If they JUST TODAY decided they weren't going forward with Yeo, that's borderline irresponsible.

And then, holy crap, that Eklind reshuffle...

That would mean there is some kind of plan, but honestly how "extensive" a search do they need? Is there some coach hiding under a rock (or coaching soccer) somewhere they are hoping to find?

Step 1, they actually have to find some tool who wants the job

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Pretty much disagree with all this

Truly, other than not liking the guy I like; and liking the guys I don't, where am I wrong?

I won't root for the team anymore if they hire Quenville.

They can hire Tock or Dineen, fine.

I don't think either of those guys move the needle enough to fix all the broken.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I saw Luke Richardson's name in an article.

He sort of checks some boxes. 

Defense, Chuck mentioned that needs to be better.

Has NHL assistant experience, AHL head coaching experience, International experience.

At one time he was considered a bright assistant poised to take the next step in the NHL.

He is a former Flyer.

He is not a retread, so there is that.

🤮

• Like 2

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Whoever the brilliant minds bring in to coach, I just hope they get us Connor Bedard. 

I'll say Neal Broten. Never coached a day in his life. Minnesota North Stars alltime leading scorer though. And he's from Minnesota. If Homer and Fletch read this, consider it a done deal.

That kid can play some hockey, sure would love to see him in Flyer Orange.

As for HC they need to hire some hard ass coach that will change the attitude of this lazy ass team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Truly, other than not liking the guy I like; and liking the guys I don't, where am I wrong?

I won't root for the team anymore if they hire Quenville.

They can hire Tock or Dineen, fine.

I don't think either of those guys move the needle enough to fix all the broken.

It's not really right/wrong. It's opinion. But you already know that.

I dont think an unproven college guy is the answer. When has that ever worked out? They need a proven NHL coach. One who won't buy into the players bs, and one who knows how to win in today's NHL. And they need to leave him the f**k alone,  and let him do what he does best.

This is not the time for science experiments. That includes the GM position as well

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1