Mike Yeo NOT returning as Head Coach for Flyers / Who do you want?

I was reading this morning how the Flyers might pass on a guy like Montgomery because, "given their predicament, the Flyers could be eyeing a coach with a lengthy track record. They're not in a position to get too cute with such a major decision"

Hmmm...they had a coach like that in Hitchcock, who was fired for Stevens. Then Lavvy, fired for Berube, who was fired for Hak. Then AV who was just fired.

Sounds like cute or nostalgic is in their DNA, while head coaches with successful resumes are a dime a dozen

:PostAward4:

Edited by CoachX

11 hours ago, radoran said:

You know, the vast majority of people here get it. They know where the Flyers "really" are.

Maybe they do.  Maybe they don't.  Either way, I didn't say anything about the vast majority here.  Just about the fanbase itself.  And the "vast majority" of this team's fanbase are not on this site.  The point is, this "damage" that will apparently be done to the fanbase if management screws up this hiring of the head coach just isn't going to happen.  The damage is already done to the fanbase that knows what's going on.  And the only thing that matters to Comcast are those corporate ticket sales.

11 hours ago, radoran said:

There were games with less than 10,000 people actually in the stands...

Butts in the seats are definitely not an issue for Comcast.  It's about ticket sales of those Luxury Boxes and Club Box seats to corporations.  And, you can be assured that in those games where there weren't many butts in the seats, those Luxury Box and Club Box tickets WERE sold.  All that matters, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Maybe they do.  Maybe they don't.  Either way, I didn't say anything about the vast majority here.  Just about the fanbase itself.  And the "vast majority" of this team's fanbase are not on this site.  The point is, this "damage" that will apparently be done to the fanbase if management screws up this hiring of the head coach just isn't going to happen.  The damage is already done to the fanbase that knows what's going on.  And the only thing that matters to Comcast are those corporate ticket sales.

Butts in the seats are definitely not an issue for Comcast.  It's about ticket sales of those Luxury Boxes and Club Box seats to corporations.  And, you can be assured that in those games where there weren't many butts in the seats, those Luxury Box and Club Box tickets WERE sold.  All that matters, unfortunately.

There used to be a person named Kuato who managed to get loose on a Flyer forum some years ago. He was the most irritating douchebag ever. Many, most, couldn't stand the guy

Reading your posts over these last few months makes me miss that guy

Part of me would love to see Trots hired. I'm not sure he'd want to come mind you, or that the team currently is in a position to really benefit from his skill, but I won't cry if it turns out he's the coach starting next season.

That said, part of me isn't really sure it matters a ton. If he were to be hired, I hope it's on a fairly lengthy contract, and he can stay for some years while the team (hopefully) manages to draft a few studs. I'm pretty doubtful just having Trots will make this into that much better of a team. It feels like a worth a shot moment, but I won't expect a deep playoff run in 2022-23 even if he does get hired. Or, you know, even making the playoffs at all frankly...

I'm also curious as to what Giroux will choose to do after this playoffs. If he doesn't come back, it's very hard for me to imagine next season as anything but worse than this one. Trots has coached relatively talent-light teams before, and he's managed to do better than many coaches can (Nashville), but it took him going to a team that had high end talent before he really found success (Washington). 

In short, he's a great coach and I would be happy for the hire, but I don't think it would address our main problem of just not having enough top end talent around. Still, I'll take it for sure, and I do hope Fletch has reached out to him already with some very serious offers.

And yeah, somehow snagging Bedard in 2023 would be a pretty phenomenal kick start to the rebuild--oh, sorry, "aggressive retool".

• Like 1

Given the news they're going to interview him, it seems the flyers certainly think Trotz a good option. He could do something good with the team, as long as they stick with him short term. Get him to fix things up, improve team culture, and then move on to the next coach who can then use that setup well

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Given the news they're going to interview him, it seems the flyers certainly think Trotz a good option.

Trotz just need leverage in negotiations with Vegas now he has it with Philly.

12 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Acquiring draft picks is always a good idea but "have a shot at Bedard" isn't exactly a plan now is it? Even if the Flyers finish last the odds are still 3-1 against drawing the #1 pick. Montreal got lucky this year. No guarantee the Flyers will.

It's still more of a plan than what's been going on with the present, ahem... regime. Michkov is the likely #2 next year...pretty good in his own right. Fantilli. Ritchie. I'd rather have any of those guys to build around than Hayes/Ristolainen/JVR/Atkinson/Ellis combined. Not to mention the $29 million in capspace that you could use on good players who actually play.

Edited by flyercanuck

3 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Given the news they're going to interview him, it seems the flyers certainly think Trotz a good option. He could do something good with the team, as long as they stick with him short term. Get him to fix things up, improve team culture, and then move on to the next coach who can then use that setup well

this has been the Flyers blueprint, dating back to when they hired Hitchcock. Its served them well (smgdh).

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd rather have any of those guys to build around than Hayes/Ristolainen/JVR/Atkinson/Ellis combined. ... Not to mention the $29 million in capspace that you could use on good players who actually play.

Sure if we're just spitballing but as far as a plan @flyer4ever seemed to imply that the Flyers should tank next year and for players that's a non-starter*. Aside from some mythical TANK I don't see a plan.

But maybe I read too much into his post. If the plan is:

1) restock picks

2) draft the guy who five years from now Mr. Clarke says is the one everyone wanted

3) let the retirees retire

4) sign the RFAs

5) then do nothing

I'm all in.

Even that won't get the Flyers a top 5 pick because Couturier but it beats going after Kadri, Gaudreau or Kessel. Unless ol' Fletch can sign all 3 hey then we're definitely "right back in it" (as promised).

*I don't doubt in 100+ years of NHL games at least one player took a bribe - probably Hayes.

Recall the Flyers finished 29th in the league this year with 61 points, 2pts behind NJ.

A healthy Couturier makes the team better. How much better? Depends on just a few thousand unpredictable things. If he produces even his low average numbers it should help the Flyers' Win%...also G/G, G/A, FOW - hell maybe even the PP%. So I think it's safe to say with Couturier the Flyers add a few more wins next year. A few more wins is all it takes before the odds of picking top 5 get daunting in the extreme.

I think we're all aware his cap hit hinders the Flyers but that ship has sailed. Remember to thank upChuck when you see him.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Recall the Flyers finished 29th in the league this year with 61 points, 2pts behind NJ.

A healthy Couturier makes the team better. How much better? Depends on just a few thousand unpredictable things. If he produces even his low average numbers it should help the Flyers' Win%...also G/G, G/A, FOW - hell maybe even the PP%. So I think it's safe to say with Couturier the Flyers add a few more wins next year. A few more wins is all it takes before the odds of picking top 5 get daunting in the extreme.

I think we're all aware his cap hit hinders the Flyers but that ship has sailed. Remember to thank upChuck when you see him.

:PostAward4:

Well said. Totally agree

15 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

"Because Couturier"?  Really?  Lol.  He's the reason they won't get a top 5 pick?  So, first, he's going to be capable of playing 80-82 games again?  He's going to somehow learn how to score more than ~30 goals(if that) on his huge number of scoring chances?  Increasing his mediocre career 11.4% shooting percentage?  Produce more than 76 points?  Maybe score ~25 goals on their power play?

I get it.  Couturier seems like a great guy.  And many in this fanbase just loooooovvvvvve him.  But, he's got A LOT of improving to do if he's going to earn this ridiculous 7.75 mil extension that Fletcher has given him.  He's just not this top 10 NHL player that this organization makes him out to be.  And he, like many, have been handed a crazy raise by this front office, that he just hasn't earned.  Maybe he earns it becoming a 40+ goal scorer.  Maybe he earns it scoring ~25 on the power play.  Maybe he earns it producing ~100 points.  Maybe some among this team's fanbase see him doing that.  But, I just don't see it in his game, even before his injury.  There's just so much that he has to improve to do so.  And being committed to moving his feet for 60+ minutes on every single one of his shifts needs to be his priority number 1.

I like Couturier.  I don't love him.  And he's not a 7.75 mil cap hit player.  What he is is a 29 year old player that this team is stuck paying through '29-30 because there isn't a team that will want the player he is with that contract.

Is there a player on the team you like, and is worth his contract?

• Haha 3

On 5/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Sorry, but the problem with Vigneault is that he wanted the entire roster to work their butts off to play a puck possession based system, where, when pucks were dumped, they were actually chased to work opposing dmen and regain possession in the offensive zones.  He certainly did have a structure to his system(and a good one at that) and is a good NHL coach.  And, apparently Therrien wasn't the problem with the PP either, which was very clear and simple to see with this team after he was gone.  Unfortunately, this organization has an incompetent front office that, ONCE AGAIN, took the easy way out, listened to the complaining laziness on the roster, and fired a good head coach(see Laviolette) and assistant coach.  All while leaving the one assistant coach(Chuck's "Yes Man") that never should have been offered his assistant job to begin with.

When exactly did Vigneault do this?  If anything, he was exactly the opposite, especially when that youth was willing to move their feet and work.  The coach that did what you stated was Hakstol, who only held the youth accountable, while allowing the veterans to make the exact same mistakes and being afraid to hold them accountable.  EXACTLY the opposite of what the expectations were when he was hired.

Frost wasn't "playing tentatively".  He was playing poorly at the beginning of the season.  Not willing to shoot pucks on the very few chances he had shooting opportunities.  Not willing to move his feet to be a forechecking presence.  Not capable of doing much when the puck was actually on his stick, which wasn't NEARLY enough.  Being a liability in his own zone, often not knowing where he needs to be, when the team needed it's center to be moving their feet and be on the puck carrier.  And not being very good at all at faceoffs.  None of that had anything to do with Vigneault.  And, it certainly wasn't because he was "thrown under the bus" and not given the chance to learn from his mistakes.

We'll agree to disagree on this. I saw enough through my chemotherapy in which guys did not buy into his system and Vigneault often took it out on the young guys. The veteran players stood up to him (namely Gostisbehere and Voracek) and Vigneault took it out on the young guys (look at his comments about York and Allison's debut plus the 'reset' of Carter Hart, when he really needed a good therapist for his depression). Vigneault was horrible, maybe even worse than Honkstink,  and that's saying something. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

On 5/18/2022 at 4:48 PM, Puck_Pun said:

maybe hire him as short-term coach with an eye toward the future as moving him to GM? 

hmmmm

don't worry if that sounds like the dumbest idea ever, I don't know what I'm talking about haha

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

maybe hire him as short-term coach with an eye toward the future as moving him to GM? 

hmmmm

don't worry if that sounds like the dumbest idea ever, I don't know what I'm talking about haha

You may not know what you are talking about, but you make a mean Cheesesteak....right?? :bigteeth: 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

John Stevens is available now too....

...raise your hand if you want cake?!?

:DancingGrape:

I'd certainly let Stevens run Lehigh Valley as the head coach there. He was probably the best development coach the Flyers had. I'd let him work with all the young prospects. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd certainly let Stevens run Lehigh Valley as the head coach there. He was probably the best development coach the Flyers had. I'd let him work with all the young prospects. 

You know that isn't a bad idea.

We can have our cake and eat it too.

Ok yeah I know I'll show myself out...

🤦‍♂️

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

DID have issues with his production, his consistency, and with him not wanting to move his feet the moment the puck was on his stick..... They can't afford anymore laziness in the lineup.

Lol, the man can barely skate. You think Sean Couturier is a lazy hockey player? That's one of your main complaint eh? That Sean Couturier takes shifts off?

Ok

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

6 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Again, I get it.  You loooovvve Coots, and can't handle anyone critiquing his play because he can do no wrong in your eyes. 

Ok, settle down. This line of yours is ridiculous. Obviously, I like the player. 

I'm simply saying that Sean Couturier is not a "lazy" hockey player. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I'm settled down just fine, thanks.  Playoff hockey is on and I have a beer in hand.  No problems here.  And, I stand by what I've stated.

What's ridiculous and just funny is that this is the simple response:

So he never takes shifts off?  He's worked his butt off 100% on every shift he's played before he had his back injury?  Can he coach then, and teach that to Hayzee and JVR please?  Maybe since he's about to be grossly overpaid, he won't ask for and pay to be coach?  Maybe?...

Christ almighty man, maybe put the beer down. Have a good weekend. Enjoy the hockey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love Couturier (favorite Flyer the last 10 years) but can you imagine what they would have gotten had they traded him at the deadline instead of extending him?  You're not going to be in the playoffs for a bit, he's a playoff-type player who people want, this isn't that hard.

• Like 1