Sam Morins career is over, it was announced

FLYERS' SAMUEL MORIN RETIRES DUE TO INJURIES

Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Samuel Morin has retired at 26 due to too much damage to his knee.

•  

What an absolute blow to a once-promising prospect.

Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Samuel Morin has retired at 26 due to a knee injury. Morin missed the entire 2021-22 season, with his last NHL game being May 8, 2021 against the Washington Capitals.

Drafted 11th overall by the team in 2013, Morin played in just 29 games over six years with one goal with the Flyers, with another 177 games over eight seasons with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. 

The 6-foot-7 defender tore his ACL in his right knee in 2018 before tearing it again a year later. He returned in 2020-21 and started the season as a forward before moving back to defense. Morin had surgery this season to fix his knee and didn't return.

During a media address, Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher said the team will discuss finding a job for Morin within the organization.

What a tough blow for a player that battled so much throughout his career.

• Like 2

• hf101 changed the title to Sam Morins career is over, it was announced
1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

They said his knee is so bad, he will never be able to play.  

I can imagine with 3 surgeries it is hard to find a place to anchor his repair ligaments, the ends of your femur and tibia are only so big.

Sad I hate it for the kid. But I hope he atleast has no trouble walking.

• Like 2

They should keep him around and give him a position with the team . Here is a guy who had setback after setback, yet he never complained and he never gave up. He put in grueling hours of rehab and he was always smiling. We would be a good team if our players had Sam's attitude and work ethic.

• Like 3

I was saddened but not surprised. The knee gods weren't smiling on him.

From another perspective,  this is another 1st rounder who's bitten the dust in recent months, joining Rubstov and Patrick. 

I hope they get him started on a coaching career. He has a lot of gumption to impart.

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

They should keep him around and give him a position with the team . Here is a guy who had setback after setback, yet he never complained and he never gave up. He put in grueling hours of rehab and he was always smiling. We would be a good team if our players had Sam's attitude and work ethic.

This is the good part of the Flyers culture. 

They are going to do right by this guy. He's been the good soldier and now he can continue to be around the game he loves, clearly, in a way that allows for him to grow.

Sad to see his playing career never achieve lift-off. 

He seems like a nice young man. I hope life after playing works out for him.

36 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Great, he can join all the other people in the org whose sole qualification is that they were former Flyers.

I guess it beats giving him a pack of pencils and a logo mug he can use to sell them.

I don't have a problem with the organization taking care of a fringe player in this situation. 

It is truly part of the left over Snider culture that I appreciate. 

He can learn to do a job in hockey like the rest of us do in our professions.

• Like 1

aren't bionics an option....****, for 6 million dollars, they can rebuild him, better, faster, AND stronger.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

like all of us, I REALLY wanted to see this kid play for the Flyers...shame how it worked out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't have a problem with the organization taking care of a fringe player in this situation. 

It is truly part of the left over Snider culture that I appreciate. 

He can learn to do a job in hockey like the rest of us do in our professions.

And we will continue to get the same results and some will wonder why.

• Like 1

@SCFlyguy

There is a point you're making that I understand and agree with in some instances. Clarke, post-bike-crash Holmgren.

I don't see where giving Sam Morin a job in player development or scouting after he's sacrificed his health trying to play for the organization is the root of the Flyers organizational woes. In fact, I applaud them for it.

In the best-case scenario for him...he won't be making the decisions that set the franchise back for decades for another 20 years at least.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't see where giving Sam Morin a job in player development or scouting after he's sacrificed his health trying to play for the organization is the root of the Flyers organizational woes.

You don’t see that giving a guy a scouting job where his only qualification is that he played for the team might affect how good the team is at scouting?  Ok.

• Uggh... 1

20 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

You don’t see that giving a guy a scouting job where his only qualification is that he played for the team might affect how good the team is at scouting?  Ok.

So how does one "become a scout or a good scout" then how should it be done?

28 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Well, I'm pretty sure Sam will be trained. 

Much like you were at your job and I was at my job.

When you went for a promotion did you have all the knowledge you would need to succeed the moment you got the gig ? Or did you learn and grow into the position and get better ? Did others with more experience help you ? Like they most likely will with Sam? 

You act like the man is incapable of learning. 

Doing a person a solid isn't weakness or stupidity it's compassionate. It's not even bad business.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Well, I'm pretty sure Sam will be trained. 

Much like you were at your job and I was at my job.

When you went for a promotion did you have all the knowledge you would need to succeed the moment you got the gig ? Or did you learn and grow into the position and get better ? Did others with more experience help you ? Like they most likely will with Sam? 

You act like the man is incapable of learning. 

Doing a person a solid isn't weakness or stupidity it's compassionate. It's not even bad business.

I have a friend who scouts for the Braves and a cousin who scouts for the Carolina Panthers.

Both played their respective spots in high school and neither played the same sport in college.

But both got their jobs by knowing someone and them giving them a chance and it both started with small stuff they proved themselves and slowly got more trust. And the quickest way to move up is to find a kid scout him and he turns out.

Success works in damn near every profession.

But it all started with knowing someone.

The other way is being a former player and the better you are means you will get more of the benefit of doubt.

But you don't have to have been a pro.

Look no further than Flyer scout Mark Greig.

He was pretty much a career AHLer but has been credited with some very good finds.

I can't remember the list of players.

But both paths have one common bond.

They both require someone taking a chance on you.

And what you do with it then is up to you how good you will be.

Just my 2 cents I got from picking their brains when I talked to them.

One is retired the other still works for the Braves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Did others with more experience help you ?

Yes look no further than the Eagles.

Andy Weidl hired his brother back in 2016.

And today Casey got fired. Not sure why yet it will come out soon but Andy is rumored to be leaving to be the GM of the Steelers and I am sure he will hire Casey right back.

Andy is from Pittsburgh so I can see that because their GM Colbert is retiring.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, RonJeremy said:

They should keep him around and give him a position with the team

Watch, this is the one exflyer they wont do that with 

SMGDH!