Kapanen hired by Flyers

16 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I hear ya but please no shade towards Sami.

In his time in Philly the guy never took a shift off and did anything the coaching staff asked of him, including playing D for part of a season. He’s one of those character guys you can respect. May not be the most skilled but has tremendous heart and fills a needed roll. 

Samifan

I agree with you 100%...but does he actually know anything about scouting? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Couple of things.

He's a former player and coach.

He probably had an idea of the types of kids he wanted to play on his team.  Both as a player and coach.

He's a naitive of Finland.

There have been a large number of special players coming from that little country. Even if he doesn't know **** from shinola- He will no doubt be able to read a newspaper to see which kids are leading there respective leagues.

I will bet you a couple of quid he does know a little about hockey and player development.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

I hear ya but please no shade towards Sami.

In his time in Philly the guy never took a shift off and did anything the coaching staff asked of him, including playing D for part of a season. He’s one of those character guys you can respect. May not be the most skilled but has tremendous heart and fills a needed roll. 

Samifan

I loved Sami. But I also loved Briere.  B. Clarke was most first favorite as a kid, and Tocchet was a God in my house

I dont want any of them making decisions for this team

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Couple of things.

He's a former player and coach.

He probably had an idea of the types of kids he wanted to play on his team.  Both as a player and coach.

He's a naitive of Finland.

There have been a large number of special players coming from that little country. Even if he doesn't know **** from shinola- He will no doubt be able to read a newspaper to see which kids are leading there respective leagues.

I will bet you a couple of quid he does know a little about hockey and player development.  

I'm sure he knows a bit about it too. And I'm sure he can read who's leading what league in scoring. And I loved the way he played. That doesn't make a good scout though. I'm not saying he isn't, I don't know whether he is or not. I'm just hoping it's more than he used to play for the Flyers. Cause that's won us zilch.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I loved Sami. But I also loved Briere.  B. Clarke was most first favorite as a kid, and Tocchet was a God in my house

Sami will be scouting kids in Europe so I think he will be making any major decisions for them. He can’t be any worse than what they had and to be honest I could not tell you who the Flyers European scouts were/are. 

Now if the Flyers hire Tocchet, I’ll be 100% on board with your take

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Do you know how you become a scout?? Someone has to give you a chance and then you prove yourself.

That is it. So let's him prove himself...the only thing about this unless someone actually gives him credit in the media well you and i will never know.

That is how it works...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Other than Clarke & Tocchet, who have track records how would we know enough about Daniel and Sami to make that statement beyond " don't want a former Flyer"?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Do you know how you become a scout?? Someone has to give you a chance and then you prove yourself.

That is it. So let's him prove himself...the only thing about this unless someone actually gives him credit in the media well you and i will never know.

That is how it works...

Sure. Or you could, you know, hire a good scout. Oh, right....Chuck.

I really do hope he succeeds. Philly needs help in their Euro drafting. But this is just more of the same old crap...old boys club, LOOK AN EX-FLYER. We all complain about it all the time... Tell me how this is any different. 

Ya...THIS time it'll work for sure. THIS time, that well that poisoned all the livestock and all the townsfolk is going to give me champagne!

I guess I've just drank too much poisoned water.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

This is why i am good with this move. It isn't like he has been sitting on the coach eating pop tarts watching netflix...

...always like Sami and believe he deserves a chance.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is why i am good with this move. It isn't like he has been sitting on the coach eating pop tarts watching netflix...

Well that's better than "used to play for Philly'. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's nothing wrong with this hire. It's a good idea to have a respected guy over there, scouting over there.

The key is taking what he brings and putting it up against the work of the earlier hires (Yates and Amderson) before making any decisions. If they'd done that last year we wouldn't be stuck with Risto. 

But feel free to dump on Kyle Shero, cause that one's just a name/legacy hire. He's got no experience with much of anything. Just his family name.  That one's definitely old boys club. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, CoachX said:

Post of the week.

well done.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Which coach would you like Sami to sit on?  Torts?  Tocchet?  CoachX?

🤪

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

A good read about the Kap hire. Enjoy.

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/a-happy-homecoming-for-kapanen--philadelphia-flyers/c-334261726?tcid=tw_news_content_id

I just hope it pays off. Only way that works is Lord Stanley finds it's way to Philly.

wait, he has another son in this years draft, CHUCK!  😀

Edited by Samifan

• 1 month later...