Departure Quotes from Quincey

Guest hf101

Here’s what Quincey told Yahoo: “Everyone is ready to get shipped out any day. There’s a lot of guys, their bags are packed beside the door, and they wouldn’t be unhappy to go – trust me. I know I had a big smile on my face, and all the guys were jealous. I think there’s a bunch of guys that were pissed off they weren’t in a package deal.”

“There’s guys that have been talked about for two, three weeks – and I was, too, right?” Quincey said. “That’s all I’m saying. With guys getting talked about all the time, your mindset kind of changes. It’s tough there because they’re in a dogfight. When you get talked about every day, it kind of wears on you. You start thinking, ‘Where am I going?”

And more, including how it might be affecting some Avs guys who haven’t gotten contract extensions in their last year of deals: ““I truly believe, if you have confidence in a player, then give it to them, show it to them,” Quincey said. “When there’s so much uncertainty if those guys are going to be there next year, it would be nice for guys to get extensions. But that’s their policy, and that’s what they do.” “Confidence, it comes and goes, and when it goes, it’s pretty tough to get it back.”

http://blogs.denverp...d-measure/9780/

........nothing beats trash talk...

the whole "team policy" angle, to me, is a bunch of horsebleep.

Buffalo didn't re-sign Briere and Drury during the season due to "team policy" and both walked without a second thought. How's that good for a franchise (not because of what Drury or Briere did with the teams they went to but because of the effect it had on the Sabres)?

The ONE advantage teams have with a UFA is the ability to deal with the UFA during the season. And then they have a "team policy" that takes that ability away? That's just nuts.

The deadline hype in this league is ridiculous and, IMO, a creation of the media. They need something to obsess over. When was the last time a true deadline deal made the difference? (I am sure there are examples, but I haven't Googled for it).

Too often it destroys team chemistry (as Quincey is saying). A team like Detroit? No one is sitting around obsessing about "what's going to happen to me??" but on a bubble team they certainly are.

And that's team policy.

The deadline hype in this league is ridiculous and, IMO, a creation of the media. They need something to obsess over. When was the last time a true deadline deal made the difference?

Horton to the Bruins

I think though what Quincey was suggesting is that since Sakic and Forsberg the Aves are not the Aves of old. Top FA don't want to sign there, the Ownership stinks the coaching stinks. Their policy isn't to re-sign contract extensions during the season leaving top players such as Duchene, Oreilly and Johnson wondering. That doens't bode well for the franchise.

When was the last time a true deadline deal made the difference? (I am sure there are examples, but I haven't Googled for it).

Stuart to Detroit 2008. Stanley Cup. We had no idea what a difference he would make, but he did that year, and he's been solid since. Unfortunately, this is probably his last year with the Wings. He'll be a UFA after this season. Probably gonna play for a CA team.

Recchi to Carolina 2006. Stanley Cup.

OK, no Stanley Cup, but Hossa to Pittsburgh 2008. Got to Game 6 of the SCF's. Close.

Those are just the ones I remember, probably because they were relevant to the Red Wings/Detroit. It's not that it doesn't happen, it just doesn't happen OFTEN. Most of the deals don't make much difference. But occasionally, one does. And so long as you don't give up too much to get it, why not, right? For a chance to raise the Cup? Heck yeah!

Even for a team that has been as consistently as good as the Wings over the last 20 years, it has only produced 4 Cups. (Don't laugh or scoff at the "only" in that last sentence.) The point is that even good teams have a hard time winning it. Ask Joe Thornton how tough it is. Ya gotta make hay while the sun shines, baby! If you're close enough where one trade could potentially make the difference, wouldn't you make that trade?