Playoffs Suck!

CoachX

I remember hearing a theory on why hockey isn't more popular in the U.S. - an episode of West Wing of all places. The character said Americans prefer sports with distinct situations as opposed to constant action - his example was baseball, tie game bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, runner on 3rd, lefty at bad...etc etc. It was more convincing on the show - made some sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rat Trick said:

What I never understood is how people, especially here in the United States prefer watching basketball or baseball or even football to hockey. The sport is most assuredly the fastest sport with back and forth action throughout. What I feel people don't get with the sport of hockey is there is not a lot of scoring like basketball. This is also in many ways why I feel here in America Soccer hasn't taken off. Soccer though is also played on a much larger field and can be a lot slower than Ice Hockey a lot of the time. The majority of the time hockey is all out action. 

Believe it or not, I hear that people don't like the game because it's too fast, they have trouble following the puck (hence the previous blue streak they tried), etc.  So what we love about it, they can't get used to.  Go figure!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Believe it or not, I hear that people don't like the game because it's too fast, they have trouble following the puck (hence the previous blue streak they tried), etc.  So what we love about it, they can't get used to.  Go figure!

I have heard that as well, but I would rather have some difficulty trying to chase a puck around the rink and it being fast pace then watching something like paint drying such as an outfielder standing out in a field or in football watch a play then a bunch of players standing around. Basketball there is some spurts of excitement with a huge dunk , but most of the time it is just running back and forth down the court and they shoot the ball through a hoop. The NBA players are so good at it they hardly ever miss too. 

So I'd much rather have to concentrate a little harder on a fast moving puck and watch all the action continually moving around then watching paint dry anyday. 

• Like 1

Baseball is almost as bad as watching Golf for me. It is literally players just standing around most of the time. You are also correct that the games are way too long. 

Football I will also watch and I have been to one Dolphins game in person and it was horrible. I spent most of the time watching the game on the jumbo screen. There are way too many commercials.

I will also watch basketball mostly because the Miami Heat is very popular down here and they are usually the talk of the town. What I don't like about basketball is the same teams win practically every season. It is the teams with Curry, Durant, Lebron, Harden, Giannis, Chris Paul,Tatum and Embiid. In hockey it seems like there are different teams going for the Cup each year even if the Lightning have won the past two seasons. 

• Like 1

Playoffs Suck.... Say What?????

I never understood this logic.

#1: The Stanley Cup Playoffs and NHL Hockey and specifically the Dallas Stars regular season hockey for the most part is family time for myself and my two boys ages 10 and 8. My boys play Ice Hockey in a Rec. League and enjoy picking out special plays that the players make and I enjoy watching them do this as well. This is a time for me to pass down a passion that I enjoy to my boys and hopefully one day they will do the same with their kids. 

#2: The Dallas Stars have not won the Stanley Cup since the 1998-99 season when I was just a tween gal at the time approaching my teenage years. So it has been a very long time. There have been seasons where the Stars have not made the playoffs at all or like this seasons exited early. That has not stopped me from watching the rest of the games because they are entertaining.  Watching talented players from other clubs that I regularly do not get to watch because I am watching my Dallas Stars is a treat. Players such as McDavid, Vasilevskiy, Gaudreau, Mackinnon and others make it very enjoyable to watch the playoffs in its entirety.

#3: In the end this is a game we are watching and sports in general to bring enjoyment and entertainment into our lives. Not make us miserable and think they suck. There is enough going on in the world that already does suck so sports should be something that is far from that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Otter said:

Playoffs Suck.... Say What?????

I never understood this logic.

It's really simple....Flyers arent in the playoffs, therefore they suck!

:PostAward4:

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

It's really simple....Flyers arent in the playoffs, therefore they suck!

:PostAward4:

And like I said, the Stars are no longer in the playoffs and have missed the playoffs many times, but that doesn't make them any less entertaining. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

And like I said, the Stars are no longer in the playoffs and have missed the playoffs many times, but that doesn't make them any less entertaining. 

I dont watch the playoffs if the Flyers arent in them, so I wouldn't know

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont watch the playoffs if the Flyers arent in them, so I wouldn't know

Your loss. 

I am a huge Dallas Stars fan, but I am also a huge NHL fan in general as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

Your loss. 

I am a huge Dallas Stars fan, but I am also a huge NHL fan in general as well. 

I think the NHL only exists so the Flyers have a place to play..... I will say this, unrelated, I went to Stars vs. Flyers back in the fall. Nice venue you guys have. If it wasn't for the friggin Cowboys, I might like Dallas

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

Just now, CoachX said:

I think the NHL only exists so the Flyers have a place to play..... I will say this, unrelated, I went to Stars vs. Flyers back in the fall. Nice venue you guys have. It wasn't for the friggin Cowboys, I might like Dallas

I think it is great to be that passionate about your team, but it is also great to be passionate about the game in general. Oh well. Yes the venue we have is nice. The Cowboys are either a love or hate type of thing for most people. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I guess poor old Claude should have considered other deadline destinations . Boy did Florida bust. 

I hope this paves his way back to Philly

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I would say he found his level perfectly.

.8 ppg on a good team. 

That's about the same as his regular season average on bad Flyers teams.

You're right he did.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

I have a hate list too

It goes without saying that you have a hate list.

You are champion list-maker: favorite list, hate list, little-old-ladies-to-be-pushed-down-escalators list, etc., etc., 

• Like 2

I hate the playoffs. Because even your favorite team is out, you have this morbid curiosity that forces you to stay awake past midnight and have the lack of sleep to really taking a toll on your body.

• Haha 3