A Speculative 2022 Flyers Off Season Rebuild

On 6/29/2022 at 6:56 AM, SCFlyguy said:

ESPN ranking for next season has the Flyers 28th out of 32 teams and Vegas has them with the third worst odds to win the Cup.  I wish they weren't so needlessly negative.

28th? That's higher than I have them. And happily. Bedard or bust.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:54 PM, RonJeremy said:

Shmuck has to figure out if Sanheim wants to stay, he is an UFA after this year. With York being an offensive style dman and a lefty, I could see them trading Sanheim to shore up another area. If Ellis is not coming back, then that may change things. Then I don’t see how you can trade a defenseman, but if Sanheim wants to become an UFA , then you gotta move him.

Chuckles needs to give Sanheim a reason to stay. So far that hasn't happened.  He is too busy being hypnotized by all the shiny toys out there, all the 30 year olds and their agents who can't wait to fleece our idiot gm.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, flyer4ever said:

all the 30 year olds and their agents who can't wait to fleece our idiot gm.

yep and it looks like Gaudreau is just the latest...if Calgary can't get it done Fletcher certainly will no matter what it costs.

22 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yep and it looks like Gaudreau is just the latest...if Calgary can't get it done Fletcher certainly will no matter what it costs.

Gaudreau's clearly a great player, but he's also 28 and coming off a significant outlier of a year. He's the epitome of a buy high candidate really. I can easily see Chuck tossing him 9M for seven years with a full NMC, and just ditching whoever else he needs to make the math work. I also have a very hard time thinking he'd be worth that type of contract. 

Ideally, JG will prefer going to a contending team or something and be willing to sign for less to get a few cracks at a cup run. At 28 though, and given the childhood team stuff, it seems almost inevitable that we're in line for our newest albatross contract signing. Besides, one might argue the Flames are one of those teams. He could just choose to stay put if a few runs at the cup is what he really wants most. At 28, my guess is he'll opt for money over glory.

It feels an awful lot like the Hayes situation. Granted, Gaudreau is a better player than Hayes, but the situation still feels similar as far as the actual contract goes and its likely impact on this team for the next several years. But, they need some player they can brand and sell to try and put people in those seats. JG fits that mold admirably well on many levels. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

If he decides to hit the market, he'll be getting more than that.  As reported, he's already sitting on an 8 year, 9.5 mil offer from Calgary.

He absolutely won't be worthy of the deal he ends up getting(isn't worthy of an 8 year, 9.5 mil offer), and the damage that type of contract causes is far from being worthy. 

This is where the Flyers just have to just say "no" and walk away.  There is NO WAY Johnny Hockey is worth that.  That type of deal would put the Flyers in Cap Hell for years to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

This is where the Flyers just have to just say "no" and walk away. 

Rasmus Q. Ristolainen says "hello"

Saying "no" and walking away when it's the obvious right thing to do isn't their strong suit...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

This is where the Flyers just have to just say "no" and walk away.  There is NO WAY Johnny Hockey is worth that.  That type of deal would put the Flyers in Cap Hell for years to come.

Unfortunately, that's what has been said about every big move the Flyers have done under Fletch. And here we are knowing he's about to do it again.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

That type of deal would put the Flyers in Cap Hell for years to come.

Except "Cap Hell" doesn't register with the Flyers esp not this clown of a GM. Who in their right mind would allow Kevin Hayes to eat up >$7mil / year of the cap? Or Ristolainen >$5mil / year?

I agree with your point I only wish it applied to the Flyers.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

will give up asset(s) to do it.

Has he talked to the jackass who's been throwing away draft picks?

Totally expect them to make the "asset" either Sanheim or Konecny...

Which just keeps reinforcing the folly of the previous year's moves.

#Flyers

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

26 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Question:  Who's the most washed up big name the Flyers' can acquire/sign that will get people excited?

Is Dustin Brown still in the league?

Toews and Kane will be available...

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Has he talked to the jackass who's been throwing away draft picks?

Totally expect them to make the "asset" either Sanheim or Konecny...

Which just keeps reinforcing the folly of the previous year's moves.

#Flyers

Dumping assets to dump salary to sign a shiny toy you will be trying to dump in 3 or 4 years. Its genius! Pure genius! How did this guy ever get out of Minnesota!

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

just not sure of what asset(s) I'd want to give up to repair the last year of a big mistake.

Evidently Fletcher didn't learn a thing from the Gostisbehere fiasco now he wants to do it again with JVR. Unreal.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Rumour has Kane interested in finishing his career in Buffalo. Not sure if he'd give them a discount or not but it's childhood team stuff. 

(Shhhh! I'm not actually being serious - don't tell anyone)