A Speculative 2022 Flyers Off Season Rebuild

What about a trade Elias Pettersson??

Does anyone remember reports of whispers of the Canucks unhappy with him a couple months ago because he was struggling to score/production has dropped off??

Wish i could remember who it was who leaked that but it was a few months ago.

Yes he has picked it up since then but if there is any truth to this i would certainly explore it.

They have quite a few holes to fill on a team headed for another year without the playoffs.

Just saying maybe the Flyers can work something out.

And yes it will cost some good pieces to acquire his talent but well just throwing it out there to consider...

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

Petterson's speed would be welcomed.

Other than his participation in the fastest skater competition a few years ago- I don't really know much about him. 

It IS nice he's not a right wing. 

Does he play in the big boy areas?

Or is he a perimeter speed only guy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The franchise really accelerated its circling of the drain after Mr Snider passed.

Once again a lot of that was due to poor drafting and free agent signings

It was much needed to help replenish aging guys like Briere, Kimmo and patches like Lilja and Kubina as just a few primary examples.

And they shipped off young Bob and ran young Erik Gustafsson (the good one) off too a few years later and as said no one really coming in good to fill the gaps.

Then losing Pronger really threw a monkey wrench in all the plans...and yeah the Bryz fiasco didn't help anything especially when they choose him over Bob to boot.

Once again draft along with trades and free agency need to be symbiotic but i sure Homer has zero clue on what that concept even means.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Does he play in the big boy areas?

He will from time to time but he is more of a perimeter type player so he would need to be paired with some guys who will do more of the heavy lifting he is more of the scorer/play maker type.

But the Flyers as of now don't have anyone yet with his type of scoring touch when he is on.

I think Canucks will be going through a transition this offseason they need some help on the blueline big time as well as in net.

Flyers are very deep in goal Sandstrom and Fedotov are ready.

And they have Ustimenko and Ersson in the AHL now so maybe they could even throw a backup goalie for them in the package.

Esepcially if what i seen San At saying a week ago that they may just let Sandstrom walk i would hate that and get nothing for him.

So if anything maybe they would prefer to give up Fedotov.

Since he would be coming in on his entry level contract that would help them out cap wise.

Hell maybe (i know i am dreaming but hear me out) maybe they would even take JVR at even 50% of his cap hit to help stem the tide of losing Pettersson and leaving a hole at LW in said package whatever that would be.

Anyways dreaming aloud...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Going to jump in here with a "yes but".

Mr Snider was ill and on his way to dying.

I think Homer was doing whatever  he could for Mr Snider to see one more winner. Many rash decisions were made. IIRC 1the Weber offer sheet happened in this same time period. 

The franchise really accelerated its circling of the drain after Mr Snider passed.

Edit: The broader point being,  nothing happens in a vacuum. Bobdrovsky's contract and playing time (games allowed) were botched so he was no longer waiver exempt. 

Many bad choices were made for myriad reasons. 

I wouldn't doubt any of this, but the point remains that signing Bryz was a huge error and things have gone downwards ever since. There are of course many additional mistakes but that was a biggie. 

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Speaking of Holmgren, didn't it all sort of start to fall apart when he signed Bryzgalov to all that money and let Bobrovski walk away? I think a major turning point for the franchise. 

1976. Paul Holmgren starts his career with the Philadelphia Flyers. Haven't won a cup since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have nothing to base this off of than a hunch, but I am sure Homer was meddling and trying to jiggle Ron like a puppet on a string (for details on how this work see Chuck Fletcher) and Ron probably said no Fug off i'm doing this my way you had your shot and that was it.

I don't really feel like going back and piecing things together, but I think there's a very good chance this is close to what happened. It certainly seems like Clarke and Holmgren are still tied into the day-to-day operations - see Clarke's comments on Fletcher and Hextall - and there seems to be a decent amount of evidence that Hextall kept a much smaller circle. I think there's also some truth to the idea that they were unhappy with the speed of the rebuild. Fletcher certainly seems more in the haphazard, grab the shiny toy, Clarke and Holmgren mold.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Retool? Nah...fire every member of management and tank for 5 years...or suffer the pain of mediocrity for the next decade!! Nobody is untouchable. 

I really don't think they're going anywhere until Clarke and Holmgren and Lombardi are gone. Even if they mercifully fire Fletcher, they're just going to hire a GM with their same vision, a backwards-thinking coach like Torts or Tocchet, and not understand why things continue to go poorly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I wouldn't doubt any of this, but the point remains that signing Bryz was a huge error and things have gone downwards ever since. There are of course many additional mistakes but that was a biggie

The data supports your statement.

Prior to Mr Snider becoming ill I thought Homer had done a pretty decent job. 

He was able to turn Alexi Zhitinik and other detritus into cornerstone NHL players. 

He had that bike accident and then Mr Snider got sick, it appears that was a terrible one-two punch.

• Like 3

I mean, if this is meant to be an anything goes exercise, then I want McDavid please. I'll take Draisaitl too actually, and I'll grab Makar while I'm at it. Let's start there? Can I get MacKinnon too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I mean, if this is meant to be an anything goes exercise, then I want McDavid please. I'll take Draisaitl too actually, and I'll grab Makar while I'm at it. Let's start there? Can I get MacKinnon too?

Yeah just pick one and lay out your plan on how to get him i'll wait....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah just pick one and lay out your plan on how to get him i'll wait....

That's the problem though, there is no getting those guys. I thought this thread was an NHL build a team type thing? It's pretty clear we're not being realistic in here 😉 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, elmatus said:

That's the problem though, there is no getting those guys. I thought this thread was an NHL build a team type thing? It's pretty clear we're not being realistic in here 😉 

Ok.

Hi guys!  Been some time since my last post, but I am hear every day.  Please accept my thanks to all who post and help me keep up with my favorite team.  I've been a fan since the beginning and graduated from Coatesville H.S. in '62.  Presently live in Ecuador so this is my major source for info.

I believe there was some talk about trading Konecny to L.A. for younger talented prospects a short time ago.  I think they have a good pool of players to select from and they seem to have better scouts than ours.  I believe this would be a good place to start and make reasonable roster changes.

Examine any successful franchise and you will find everything starts with a good front office that has knowledgeable execs and scouts who know how to evaluate talent.  That said, I agree with those who advocate a complete overthrow of the present leadership.  I use the term loosely.

Thanks again and know that I feel your pain all the way hear in South America.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PuckMeister said:

Examine any successful franchise and you will find everything starts with a good front office that has knowledgeable execs and scouts who know how to evaluate talent.  That said, I agree with those who advocate a complete overthrow of the present leadership.  I use the term loosely.

There's just no doubt about it.

Dave Scott, Holmgren, Lombardi, Fletcher, Hanrahan, and Flahr all need to go.  These are apparently the names that are involved in the team's managerial decision making.  Valerie Camillo apparently only handles the business strategy side of things, and does know a lot about the NHL, being a member of the NHL Board of Governors.  Clarke and Barber aren't involved in managerial decisions and direction, and haven't been for a number of years.  As much as some who don't know what they're talking about believe that these two still deserve blame for this team's direction, it's just not fact.  Simple as that.  It's Holmgren who is the cancer pulling the strings of this organization, with Dave Scott listening to his advice and judgement, because he just doesn't know much about the NHL or how to be a Governor of a competitive NHL team.  And, of course, much of the scouting squad needs to be reformed.  It's the only way things will change.  Until those higher ups at Comcast, who are supposed to be holding Scott accountable, realize this, the mediocrity will only continue.

Because this big of a move is what needs to happen, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to take place anytime soon.  I believe this team will still be the mediocrity that it is for at least 3 or 4 more years of Chuck Fletcher's mistakes and failures, unfortunately.

Going after big name FAs, or making trades for pieces are just band-aids, when the wounds of this franchise are fatal and just can't be fixed by band-aids any longer.  With Fletcher as GM, those band-aids only result in FA players being overpaid and giving up far too much in trades.  It's what he does.  And there's just no excuse for Holmgren not realizing that before he even slightly considered hiring him for ANY position here at all.

It hurts to state these facts.  But, sometimes reality sucks.

Edited by FireDillabaugh

How about admit you are ****?? Ice an AHL team, try every prospect on the pp and see what you got! Admit you are ****!! Tank like nobody has ever tanked before. Trade everyone and start from scratch...including Hart, Provorov, Konency....pile up 1st rounders and start all over. This team and management group disgust me. We will always be ****!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

How about admit you are ****?? Ice an AHL team, try every prospect on the pp and see what you got! Admit you are ****!! Tank like nobody has ever tanked before. Trade everyone and start from scratch...including Hart, Provorov, Konency....pile up 1st rounders and start all over. This team and management group disgust me. We will always be ****!!

We have some good core pieces like Thompson and  Charlie Brown to build around.

• Haha 3
  • Good Post 1

I am good if they just purge as much dead weight as they can but i fully expect them to make a run at Johnny Gaudreau if the Flames let him test the market.

Same with Filip Forsberg as well if the Preds let him get to the market as well.

It's what they do see JVR and Hayes. Whatever they do i hope they don't also try to bring Jones back to spell Hart next season.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

i fully expect them to make a run at Johnny Gaudreau if the Flames let him test the market.

Treliving has already said they will do everything possible to keep him a Flame.  And they should with the amazing career year he's having.  So, it probably comes down to whether Gaudreau wants to stay there or not.  And, with the season that Calgary has had, I don't see why he'd want to leave them.  I get that he's a Jersey guy and all.  But, I don't think that outweighs being on a competitive team that has the chance at a championship.  Calgary's main issue is they also have to give an offer sheet to Tkachuk.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Same with Filip Forsberg as well if the Preds let him get to the market as well.

He's also having a career year.  And one hell of a career year at that.  I think the same goes here.  I think Nashville will do everything they can to keep him.  They'll probably offer him a deal like Duchene and Johansen have, if not a bit more.  Probably also comes down to what Forsberg wants to do.  I would think if they have some playoff success, he'll want to stay there.

Both players are big reasons for their team's success.  They aren't the type of UFAs that their teams just let walk away very often.

Edited by FireDillabaugh

5 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Treliving has already said they will do everything possible to keep him a Flame.  And they should with the amazing career year he's having.  So, it probably comes down to whether Gaudreau wants to stay there or not.  And, with the season that Calgary has had, I don't see why he'd want to leave them.  I get that he's a Jersey guy and all.  But, I don't think that outweighs being on a competitive team that has the chance at a championship.  Calgary's main issue is they also have to give an offer sheet to Tkachuk.

I agree with this and it will keep Chuck from offering him 9-10 mill per season. A lot to may come down to how this playoff run goes too.

Being a Jersey guy shouldn't out weigh being on a Cup contender over going to a team you loved in a rebuild state. So that brings me back to Chuck and his over pay that we know is coming if he gets to market.

But i think if this even gets close you would see the Flyers trade something for Johnny's rights before the new year starts so they get a leg up on negotiations. I do not trust them after what is seen with JVR and Hayes because Johnny is way better than those two. But if they ink him first then he will just divert his eyes to something else shiny like Forsberg or insert name.

5 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's also having a career year.  And one hell of a career year at that.  I think the same goes here.  I think Nashville will do everything they can to keep him.  They'll probably offer him a deal like Duchene and Johansen have, if not a bit more.  Probably also comes down to what Forsberg wants to do.  I would think if they have some playoff success, he'll want to stay there.

Both players are big reasons for their team's success.  They aren't the type of UFAs that their teams just let walk away very often.

Yes i can see this and we know how hard it is for the Preds to find good forwards as good as they seem to be fining defensemen and goalies forward seems to be Poile's kryptonite as in even see the forwards they traded for you mention and both suck.

I haven't looked at their cap situation but it would be smart to bring his guy back...we know Homer covets the Pred players....and then if so they will just target the next best available guy whoever that is.

• Like 1

Jones has played well this season. His ugly numbers this year - Hart's too - are not at all because "bad goaltending." They've had some sloppy games, some weak goals but in general goaltending has just not  been a problem this year. They could do worse than bringing back Jones.

But Sandstrom has played well too. Since he's younger and costs less he's probably the smarter move.

Hart is the #1 so it depends on who works better with Hart imho.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Jones has played well this season.

It isn't just about his stats.

They have a log jam at goalie.

Sandstrom needs a spot you have Ersson and Ustimenko in the AHL and Fedotov who needs to be signed and brought over and started on his transition to the smaller ice and well a salary cap to manage.

Frost and Tippett need new deals. They have 6.3 mill in cap space and 17 guys signed.

Allison, Cates, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Hogberg,  Sandstrom need new deals. As well as a few other kids needing to be signed.

So at the end of the day the Flyers can't afford to bring Jones back for 2 mill....just can't when you could sign Sandstrom to half that price.

We can blame ol Chuckles for the cluster fc uk. And well he will need to move some guys to make more room if they want to anything "aggressive" as they claim. They could start by moving JVR. 

• Like 1