A Speculative 2022 Flyers Off Season Rebuild

1 minute ago, radoran said:

How does one assemble a roster that virtually everyone agrees is simply not competitive and spend $83+ million to do it?

It takes true skill planning and most importantly years of experience at building NHL rosters...

💩

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It's not only that the roster appears as bleak as it does, it's that they're also capped out to put this roster on the ice.

How does one assemble a roster that virtually everyone agrees is simply not competitive and spend $83+ million to do it? 🤔

It'd be midbogling if it wasn't "the way they've always done things."

War News GIF by MOODMAN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes and even harder to rebuild when you don't rebuild...

:D

lol, definitely true. They just seem incapable of taking that first step and admitting it. 

I have a slim (very slim) hope that there is an actual rebuild plan but they just don't want to say it publicly. 

As I typed that sentence I realized how stupid that hope is. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It's not really a "stupid" hope as much as it would be a "stupid" plan. Why not say "we're going to take a step back and evaluate where we are going as a franchise after ten years of absolutely mediocre hockey"?

It really comes down to the egos of the guys in the decision-making seats. (And, as a side note, that more than a few guys who embark on a "rebuild" are gone by the end of it).

But all they've really accomplished in this offseason is taking a disaffected fanbase and doing effectively nothing to gain the affections of any part of it.

The "quick retool" crowd didn't get Gaudreau.

The "tear it down" crowd got a stand pat approach.

Even the "always a fan" crowd are perplexed with what the team is trying to accomplish.

And, no offense to Deslauriers or MacEwan. but the 2022 hockey crowd is not coming out to watch a guy fight on a bad team.

Fletcher wanted to get "tough to play against" and likely got "tough to watch" instead.

The crowds at the end of last season were simply jaw-dropping in the numbers of empty seats. I don't know that they've done much that fills those seats.

We'll see...

Management knows the team is crap and a colossal bore to watch but they needed some gimmick to sell tickets .There is not one exciting, highly skilled player they can showcase to sell tix. Since they can't supply the fans with highl quality hockey they figured  they would go old school and goon it up. I'll guarantee their marketing team will come up with some sort of slogan based on the toughness and old time Flyers hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

It really comes down to the egos of the guys in the decision-making seats

When you have a room full of ego-testical fuktards , all competing to see who can shove their head the farthest up their own a$$, your going to wind up lacking somewhere....in this case, EVERYWHERE. They are truly that talented at sucking

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

If they get the #1 and take ANYONE other than Bedard, it should be grounds for immediate removal of all incompetence in charge.

I would take Bedard as well, BUT Michkov is very very good. It is quite possible that 5 years from now Michkov is the better player. The Russia thing is an issue, but he's a sure fire superstar in time. 

4 hours ago, radoran said:

And, no offense to Deslauriers or MacEwan. but the 2022 hockey crowd is not coming out to watch a guy fight on a bad team.

a little praise for Zac MacEwen…every shift he gives all he’s got. Granted that’s not much in the offensive skills dept but he can skate okay and he’s not a liability defensively (vs other 3rd and 4th liners). Frankly before the prospects got called up after the TD he was one the few Flyers I actually enjoyed watching. 

What Deslauriers’ role will be, why Fletcher thought it was necessary to sign him…Mac I can kind of understand but to hire another MacEwen? Deslauriers did play for a few weeks up in Minnesota…

Well cap space or not this is the lineup they should roll out game #1.

Van Floatdyke -Coots - Konecny

Cates - Hayes - Atkinson

Ratcliffe - Frost - Tippett

Deslaurier - Laughton - Brown

MacEwen 

Provorov - DeAngelo

Sanheim- Risto

York - Braun

Seeler

Hart

Sandstrom

Sure certainly not going to beat much with it but it is the best cap wise and not to lose anyone off waivers.

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

why Fletcher thought it was necessary to sign him

So he could be challenged by the cap - otherwise if it wasn't for him they would have everyone almost signed and no cap issues.

But now he will have to go with a 21 man roster to open the season which isn't all that big a deal because they will just recall whomever they want the day of the game...but still he has to be his own worst enemy.

:cheers:

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is a ok list but i don't know how Hayes and JVR aren't on this list with Risto.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-who-need-step-up-2022-23/#sq_h4u7q6szz5

3 Flyers Who Need to Step Up in 2022-23

I didn't read it; I only looked at the names.

I'm guessing this was limited to those that CAN step up that should.

IF that's the thought process, including Hayes and JVR in this is like including Stephen Hawking in a list of people who should exercise more.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is a ok list but i don't know how Hayes and JVR aren't on this list with Risto.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-who-need-step-up-2022-23/#sq_h4u7q6szz5

3 Flyers Who Need to Step Up in 2022-23

Only 3? More importantly, 3 who need to step down. Waaaaay down

Chuckles, Homer, Natureboy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@OccamsRazor

I just read it.  I think the idea is that if these players don't step up, it really doesn't matter what Hayes and JVR do.

Terribly-written article, by the way.  I'm not sure I'd let him write for a recipe site.

I think Mr. Couch graduated from the Colonel Obvious North Western School of Journalism. :bigteeth: 

Ahh, well.
Don't be too hard on the guy....it's VERY difficult for any writers to come up with too many things even the average fan doesn't know about already.
The internet has assured that.

Which is why I ALWAYS find people who run around claiming to be "insiders" to be particularly amusing (until they get annoying).
I mean really....most people likely have access to more or less the same info some of these 'Inspector Insiders' have anyways....and any Jane or John Doe can then fill in the blanks with what they BELIEVE as well as any insider.

In Mr. Couch's defense though, he might actually be a GOOD recipe book writer. Iffin yer gonna be obvious about most things you write about, THAT is where you want to do it!
Cooking is a fine art. Obvious and direct is good! :ph34r: 

• Good Post 1

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

In Mr. Couch's defense though, he might actually be a GOOD recipe book writer. Iffin yer gonna be obvious about most things you write about, THAT is where you want to do it!
Cooking is a fine art. Obvious and direct is good! :ph34r: 

LOL yes.   Maybe the recipe for boiled water.

Just as an aside, most recipe sites drive me nuts.   I want the ingredients and the directions.  Period.   I mean, honestly, in most cases the directions are rather self-explanatory, but still:  Ingredients.  Step-by-step directions.

I don't want to know how many times you've made it, your Great Aunt Bertha Meningitis thinks it's the best hard boiled egg she's ever had and it actually cut down her flatulence down 65% from her usual egg intake, where you ate it the first time, blah blah blah.   Ingredients.  Directions.  Have a nice day.  Bon apetite.

---

Your not wrong about the difficulty of keeping hockey articles fresh and full of new info.   It's usually in the "tid bits" and then all of us wonks parse that 6 word phrase 92 different ways.  "What did he mean by butter on his pancakes?"

Sometimes a knife is just a knife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26 @ruxpin

Photobucket GIF

At the risk of you know....

I submitted some articles to the Hockey Writers during the pandemic. 

What the hell else was I going to do... my job requires me to go places and film things...that wasn't happening.

I didn't claim to be an insider or an analytics guru. My POV was that of a fan...I was told that they liked my samples and the humor I write with, but weren't looking for the everyman perspective.  Which is precisely what Rob Couch's articles read like. He's probably an okay bloke. But never have I ever chuckled or learned something from his pieces so when I see the by-line I usually just pass.  Not like there are sour grapes or anything 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 @ruxpin

Photobucket GIF

At the risk of you know....

I submitted some articles to the Hockey Writers during the pandemic. 

What the hell else was I going to do... my job requires me to go places and film things...that wasn't happening.

I didn't claim to be an insider or an analytics guru. My POV was that of a fan...I was told that they liked my samples and the humor I write with, but weren't looking for the everyman perspective.  Which is precisely what Rob Couch's articles read like. He's probably an okay bloke. But never have I ever chuckled or learned something from his pieces so when I see the by-line I usually just pass.  Not like there are sour grapes or anything 😃

That's a shame.

It would have been good to have something readable on that site...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well cap space or not this is the lineup they should roll out game #1.

Van Floatdyke -Coots - Konecny

Cates - Hayes - Atkinson

Ratcliffe - Frost - Tippett

Deslaurier - Laughton - Brown

MacEwen 

Provorov - DeAngelo

Sanheim- Risto

York - Braun

Seeler

Hart

Sandstrom

Sure certainly not going to beat much with it but it is the best cap wise and not to lose anyone off waivers.

I would waive Charlie Brown and put Allison in the lineup. Better yet waive JVR, no one would claim him.