Will Joe Thornton return next season?

NHL HHOF

Will Joe Thornton play next season? He needs 66 games to surpass Patrick Marleau for all-time games played. Does he want it? If not, then he needs to play 54 games just to surpass Gordie Howe at least.

1 hour ago, NHL HHOF said:

Will Joe Thornton play next season? He needs 66 games to surpass Patrick Marleau for all-time games played. Does he want it? If not, then he needs to play 54 games just to surpass Gordie Howe at least.

Morr impressive. He needs 46 assists to tie 5th all time. And he missed 2 seasons due to lockout and played in a low scoring era.

Had he played in the 80s he might be 2nd behind Gretzky 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

I'd love to have him play at least one more...

He's not the threat he used to be, but a future hof'er who can still mentor and play 3rd 4th line minutes.

Damn I feel old I remember him in NHL98 when I lived in Greensboro, North Carolina on the Playstation his first year with the Bruins.

• Like 1

He played 34 games this season with 5 goals and 5 assists. It is more than just the goals and the assists now for him whether he continues his career or not. It is his presence with a team that I think helps. 

If somehow the Florida Panthers win the Cup I think he will retire. If they don't he will come back for another season. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, Brewin Flames said:

I hope he comes back either way....

Been a fan since the bruins drafted him, still sour he was traded, and traded for garbage at that.

I was also a Bruins fan back then...lol

At that point the Bruins were the 2nd most profitable team in the league in terms of money raked in by Jacobs and had one of the lowest payrolls. It was a 10 year period where I watched them trade each and every good player they got as soon as they wanted money. Jumbo was kind of the last straw for me

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, NHL HHOF said:

Why hasn’t he played yet this post-season?

Have you seen him play this year? he should retire. And i say that as a huge fan. He had back to back surgery level injuries on both legs/Knees and isn't going to recover. He isn't a young pup.

In 2016 at age 36 going on 37, he was 4th in league scoring, 5th for the Hart, 5th for the Selke. But few players can keep that pace at age 37, and he didn't the next year. Still good, but not great anymore.

In the 2017 playoffs when his left leg got blasted and needed surgery, you could see he wasn't the same next year. Then that year he got his right knee blasted out.

When you have any kind of bum knee/Leg and need to adjust style, it makes you compensate by hurting other parts of your body usually.

They're aging players who still have much left in the tank such as Pavelski, Burns, Spezza, and even Ovechkin. But since Charo has officially retired that leaves Joe Thornton as the oldest active player in the NHL and he was not productive at all this past season and he should retire. That then would leave the Edmonton goalie Mike Smith as the oldest active player in the NHL and goalies seem to have extra years. 

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

"Chara" hasn't "officially" retired, yet anyway.

It looked like the last game of the Islanders he was making it his swan song. If not he was leaning that way. 

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I'd love to have him come back for one more year....get more ice time, i still feel like he's got gas in the tank.

Records to break as well.

Yeah, he might have a little gas left in the tank, but sometime during the season he is gonna have to refuel those tanks and right now gas is extremely expensive. 😉

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...