Jvr Called Out By Laviolette; Healthy Scratch Last Night?

Guest brelic

Yea, JVR usually plays well against the Devs.

For Lavy to bench him for this game was a pretty big hit to JVR. All his family and friends make the Devils/Flyers games.

It's not as bad as benching say Briere for a Sens home game - JVR's folks aren't far from Philly - but it's pretty bad. My guess is there's more going on than what we've been seeing on the ice.

My guess is there's more going on than what we've been seeing on the ice.

I think it is just two different reporters reporting different opinions. One had word from Holmgren, and one speculating. Since Wellwood was called up today, it becomes quite obvious that JVR has an injury.

I would like to see more than one move from JVR. He has the habit of trying to beat the d-man wide than try to take a sharp angle toward the goalie. It worked in the playoffs, but I think that maybe the league figured out his one move. I don't think he has the hands and moves to consistently get by d-men. Me thinks we overpaid him.

And that's the puzzling part. Players get hot/cold..he just looks lost, and I don't see the effort. The lost part may be on Lavy as he changes lines like we change underwear. The effort part is 100% on JVR and HAS to change.

Changing underwear? Why haven't I ever thought of that? I'll try it.

JVR--to Flyercanuck in particular but others make great points as well--no, he's obviously not playing like in the playoffs last year. I do think the ever-changing lines have to do with it. I also think for a young kid like him it has to sting coming off the top line with Giroux and going to a third line with...who's playing tonight? But also, I think I remember Giroux not playing real well out of the gate following his first good playoffs. It's a psychological thing, but I don't think it's "laziness." But if any or all of the above is true, I think it's brilliant for Lavy to address it early and clearly say to the young kid, "this isn't going to be acceptable, and this is what the job demands."

In my mind, that's what a coach needs to do. Hopefully, JVR hears the message and responds appropriately.

My big knock on him is the way he seems to not want to get involved sometimes. When he does, he's very good. But a lot of times he just wants to be the perimeter guy. Last year in the playoffs he showed us all why James Van Reimsdyk was a 2nd overall pick. I've never seen him play that aggressive before or since. Call it what you want, I call it lazy. If he does have a groin pull, it's understandable. But to me, it's the kind of play I've seen out of him more, way more, than not. It's the only thing holding him back from being a star. And he has the talent, the size, the skating ability to be a star.

JVR has one of the hottest slap shots in the in the league,when is the last you saw him use it? Jagr mentioned in an earlier interview JVR would add a lot by spending more time in the slot. JVR does what Lavi tells him to do! Lavi doesn't measure up,its become very obvious with the addition of all this new talent. I've already posted at the "Cesspool" this team has two active hall of fame players,a ton of high first round picks,a fifty-one million dollar goalie,a very expensive backup,and only one line seem doable. Its Lavi! Q

I think it is just two different reporters reporting different opinions. One had word from Holmgren, and one speculating. Since Wellwood was called up today, it becomes quite obvious that JVR has an injury.

Guess you're right HF - Homer's answer to why Lavy scratched him - or if Lavy scratched him - was "bad reporting." I'm glad the truth came out. I know we haven't seen a whole lot from JVR but I never figured he was close to being benched.

Once he gets back from the hip / groin injury I hope he starts playing better, like the power forward he says he wants to be. More JLC and less Mikael Renberg.

All that speed is a great weapon but if it doesn't take him into the high-scoring lanes it's kind of wasted. We know he can fly down the wing and unload the cannon, but his idol JLC didn't score 50+ for 3 years from 30 and 40 feet away from the net.

• 9 years later...
On 11/4/2011 at 7:27 AM, ruxpin said:

Do you see any particular laziness or lack of effort by JVR? I don't know that I do. I just think he's off to a little bit of a slow start and is stuck on a line that just doesn't make sense to me. That said, I have no problem sitting a kid down for a game and letting him watch. Hopefully it lights a fire.

Wow ten years later and wait we still the same issues....funny how a tiger can't change his stripes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

Still Waiting GIF by The Office

Still Waiting Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

angry give me a break GIF by Face The Truth

Wonder WTF was running through Ron Hextall's brain when he decided to resign this stiff???

Was there really no one around worthy of a contract like this or even close to this i have to do some looking back at this...where would they be now without doing this???

Looking back David Perron should have been the signing Ron went with. 4 years 16 mill.

The deal would be expiring this season....even Maroon might have been a guy you bring back for a second stint instead of JVR. Or maybe even Anthony Duclair even...Blake Comeau even.

Not JVR....

:bonkingheadonwall:

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looking back David Perron should have been the signing Ron went with. 4 years 16 mill.

The deal would be expiring this season....even Maroon might have been a guy you bring back for a second stint instead of JVR. Or maybe even Anthony Duclair even...Blake Comeau even.

Not JVR....

:bonkingheadonwall:

Stephen Hawking.  Stevie Wonder.    Ben Simmons.   Anyone.

I suspect this was Holmgren & Company's move to "fix" the Luke Schenn trade.   I'm willing to bet Hextall's "I told you!" 3 times a day helped get him terminated.   Not that he was, himself, above a mistake.  It's just this has Holmboy's fingerprints all over it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I suspect this was Holmgren & Company's move to "fix" the Luke Schenn trade.   I'm willing to bet Hextall's "I told you!" 3 times a day helped get him terminated.   Not that he was, himself, above a mistake.  It's just this has Holmboy's fingerprints all over it.

The gift that keeps on giving...

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

JVR is sooo NOT a Hextall type player. 

200 foot player? LMFAO!

Hockey IQ? About 4?

And the wheels were gone when he came back. 

• Like 2