Tocchet as Coach - I feel insulted

CoachX

35 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But something needs to change in developing these guys, because theres been some damn good players who regress when they become Flyers.

But wasn't just last year for the start of this past season to teach the same system as they run in the AHL??

I mean i was always shocked by that admission, because i was thinking they were doing that the whole time.

I'm like good lord no wonder why all these kids look like it is the first day of learning Chinese.

Why would you teach different systems??? Are you kidding me i thought a no brainer.

I just don't know anymore if they get the talent with no clear plan it is just wasting another season.

The plus side is i have saved money..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But wasn't just last year for the start of this past season to teach the same system as they run in the AHL??

I mean i was always shocked by that admission, because i was thinking they were doing that the whole time.

I'm like good lord no wonder why all these kids look like it is the first day of learning Chinese.

Why would you teach different systems??? Are you kidding me i thought a no brainer.

I just don't know anymore if they get the talent with no clear plan it is just wasting another season.

The plus side is i have saved money..........

Should they really be teaching either team this system? It's terrible. From the 5 on 5 to the PP to the PK. Not being negative, being real. 

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Should they really be teaching either team this system? It's terrible. From the 5 on 5 to the PP to the PK. Not being negative, being real. 

What is the system? 

• Good Post 1

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I can't tell anymore is it the system or the lack of execution from the players - do they even know?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't tell anymore is it the system or the lack of execution from the players - do they even know?

Let's think outside the box..... can it be both?

:PostAward4:

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well let's just take for example, Konecny, Provorov and Farabee. All really good players for most of their careers...until the last couple of years... or until the present management  I loved all 3 of those draft picks. They've all 3 looked like nucleus players on a contender. Fletcher came, took him a year to instill his system...I know, I'm so negative against Fletcher. I just don't see the positive in a bottom 4 team who's management is actually "going for it". If they said "Ok, we're going to rebuild" then a bottom 4 would be acceptable. But with his signings, trades, etc, he's not rebuilding. And he's taken his farm team as low as his NHL team. He's actually near elite at being a lousy manager. If I actually thought he was tanking on purpose, I could understand his genius. He's not.

• Like 2

To expand on this more: had Hextall/Holmgren in say 2017-18 accurately diagnosed that group wasn't going to win anything and traded Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds, they would have a boatload of more talent and assets in the cupboard right now (and likely no Fletcher, no JVR, and no Hayes).

But then we would have missed out on a first round exit in 2018 and that magical second round exit in the bubble.  We will always have those memories.

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

To expand on this more: had Hextall/Holmgren in say 2017-18 accurately diagnosed that group wasn't going to win anything and traded Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds, they would have a boatload of more talent and assets in the cupboard right now (and likely no Fletcher, no JVR, and no Hayes).

But then we would have missed out on a first round exit in 2018 and that magical second round exit in the bubble.  We will always have those memories.

People can speculate all day long on what, "would've been", but there's no real accuracy in that. I dont like the decisions they've made anymore than the next guy, but I dont see any point in using the 20/20 microscope to add to my misery. I hope there will be good changes moving forward. 

And past moves have nothing to do with whether or not hiring Tocchet TODAY, will have a real positive impact

It's weird, I have family members who are life long fans of all Philly sports. They are convinced that every team will suck and fail every year. And their last name isn't Goldberg. I just don't see the point 

• Like 2

It's strange how the writer never discusses Tocchet's coaching style, what his vision might be for this roster - or anything along those lines. It's all "he was beloved" and "been thru the battles in Philly." The closest he comes is "the players can relate to him."

But I have nothing against bringing in Toc. The under-talented veterans leading the team make the choice of HC almost irrelevant. But it's more than Hayes as 2C (or even 3C) and Ristolainen playing 20+ minutes a night. What's worse is how the younger guys who came in looking good maybe great have turned into "WTF is going on with him?" types.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It's strange how the writer never discusses Tocchet's coaching style, what his vision might be for this roster - or anything along those lines. It's all "he was beloved" and "been thru the battles in Philly." The closest he comes is "the players can relate to him."

But I have nothing against bringing in Toc. The under-talented veterans leading the team make the choice of HC almost irrelevant. But it's more than Hayes as 2C (or even 3C) and Ristolainen playing 20+ minutes a night. What's worse is how the younger guys who came in looking good maybe great have turned into "WTF is going on with him?" types.

Well if that is a criteria then what is Sandy McCarthy doing these days he might want to throw his name into the coaches hat...

...or better yet where is Jody Shelley when you need him.

I feel I'm never good to be able to watch good skilled Flyer hockey again...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if that is a criteria then what is Sandy McCarthy doing these days he might want to throw his name into the coaches hat...

...or better yet where is Jody Shelley when you need him.

I feel I'm never good to be able to watch good skilled Flyer hockey again...

Flyers just promoted two former players to coaching positions. Dave Hoyda was just named the skills coach and Brad Marsh is the new power skating instructor. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

12 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Flyers just promoted two former players to coaching positions. Dave Hoyda was just named the skills coach and Brad Marsh is the new power skating instructor. 

Wasn't Marsh a little turtle-esque in his skating?

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Living just outside of town here...where he grew up.

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Living just outside of town here...where he grew up.

Well why are you still standing there get him on the next flight to Philly they have a coach to hire!!!

:beer: