Carey Price joins elite club

Guest habsguy26

habsguy26's Poll  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is Carey Price a top 5 NHL goalie?

Interesting piece I read on http://canadiens.nhl.com a few minutes ago. Take a look.

The first 60 seconds of Wednesday night’s second period against the Bruins may have seemed to most like just another minute of hockey. For Carey Price, it marked yet another milestone in his already illustrious young career.

By the time those 60 seconds had expired, the Canadiens’ goaltender became only the fifth net minder in the history of the NHL to have logged 15,000 minutes of ice-time before blowing out the candles on his 25th birthday cake. Besides Price, only Harry Lumley, the legendary Terry Sawchuk, Tom Barrasso and ex-Habs goalie Jocelyn Thibault attained the plateau before the age of 25.

Price, who will only celebrate his 25th birthday on August 16th of this summer, will have a hard time rewriting the records books before reaching a quarter-century of age, seeing as Lumley had already played a staggering 25,000 minutes of NHL hockey by the same point in his life.

Now that is pretty elite company.

I think Price is a very good young goalie. When most fans were freaking out that they'd traded Halak I was saying Price will easily end up the better guy long term. If Philly had him they'd instantly become a Stanley Cup contender. Playing that many minutes at that age is impressive. But it's pretty much a non-event to anyone other than Habs fans grasping at anything in one of the worst seasons in franchise history. No offence.