I blame Bryz for the win

Guest wcflyer

Yeah, he let in a couple of softies, but he was a big part of the win after that. He also showed he was a more of a professional than Meszero's, encouraging him after he missed an open net in ot, while he could have rolled his eyes.

Yeah, he let in a couple of softies, but he was a big part of the win after that. He also showed he was a more of a professional than Meszero's, encouraging him after he missed an open net in ot, while he could have rolled his eyes.

That's a stretch about professionalism. Beyond that, the softies are the problem! Look at the shot differential! If Bryz makes routine saves, that game is over in regulation. I am glad the Flyers won, but to laud his efforts and excuse the softies is a bit much. I want to see solid goaltending consistently, and until then, I will not be satisfied with Bryz. I also do not think I am unreasonable in that expectation.

How do you know why he rolled his eyes? He got burned for a goal, maybe that's why. Just because the broadcast team says so doesn't make it so. Also, Bryzgalov can hardly be called a paragon of professionalism, not with that mouth and not with his play. You're giving him too much credit.

How do you know why he rolled his eyes? He got burned for a goal, maybe that's why. Just because the broadcast team says so doesn't make it so. Also, Bryzgalov can hardly be called a paragon of professionalism, not with that mouth and not with his play. You're giving him too much credit.

Personally I think Mez was rolling his eyes at himself on that play. That wasn't just bad defense, that was non-defense.

I agree with terp, how do we know what the "eye roll" was for, the announcers may be right, but they may be wrong, either way we will never know until the interview clears it up (you know the Philly press will be all over this). I can tell you that I personally did a little more than roll my eyes, I dropped a few f-bombs Bryz's way and took another sip of my beverage.

I know Mez is a pro and shouldn't do that sort of thing at another teammate, but he is a human.

Another quote from the Hockey Night in Canada Guys...the flyers outscored their goal tending tonight.

I think the Flyers play better while losing, that's the only way they constantly move their feet. Even when they were ahead, when was the last time they blew someone out? Everyone wants a perfect win, the league isn't built like that anymore. Just about every Flyers loss or win has been by one or two goals.

@wcflyer

Having Bryz spot the other team 2 goals is going to make for a pretty short playoff run.When Calgary fans are laughing at your goalie you know it's bad. He couldn't handle playoff pressure in Phoenix. He can't handle regular season pressure in Philly. I can't wait to see how this flake handles playoff pressure in Philly. He's the worst starting NHL goalie I've ever seen.

I mentioned this in another thread . Could it be that Bryzgalov's eyesight has changed subtlety ? Is the black cage causing him problems?

Some of these goals that go through him or just miss his glove to get behind him are almost sad to watch. Whatever the problem is it doesn't seem like he is capable of working through it.

It is a lot of pressure on the other 5 guys to have that kind of liability to constantly compensate for

Is the black cage causing him problems?

Something sure is - and you may be onto something when you mention his eyesight. HNIC supposedly had a radar gun that clocked Stajan's shot at 41 mph. 41! Not trying to be funny here, I'm dead serious when I say you can find 8-year olds that shoot it harder than that. And Bryzgalov just watched it sail by him.

Hey I'm as glad as the next Flyers' fan we pulled out a win. But good god what we had to go through to get it. Yeah I know Jagr says "no panic, no problem down by 3, 4 goals" but he's full of beans and I'm sure he knows it. Not team wins in April - let alone May or June - giving up 2 easy goals per game.

And why is it suddenly "tougher to win" in the POs? Because you're matched up against the same team for 2 weeks. That gives the opposition lots of time to pick apart your weaknesses. Well at least our opposition will have an easy time of it this year - all they have to coach their players to do is "Shoot the puck."

I am waiting for him to have one.. JUST ONE.. stellar performance where he just shuts the door and makes one ridiculous save after another.

Instead, he had another mediocre game. OK, the team D was poor, again... like that's a big surprise. But com'n.... Bryz came up small. He continues letting in softies and that can't make the team in front of him feel confident. This really sucks. This is as frustrating as hell.

I mentioned this in another thread . Could it be that Bryzgalov's eyesight has changed subtlety ? Is the black cage causing him problems?

Some of these goals that go through him or just miss his glove to get behind him are almost sad to watch. Whatever the problem is it doesn't seem like he is capable of working through it.

It is a lot of pressure on the other 5 guys to have that kind of liability to constantly compensate for

I think you're onto something, @mojo1917. And that's actually what scares me a little. You'd think that something mental would result in bad positioning or taking chances or even being a moment too SOON rather than too late. But he seems to waive at pucks with his glove and you wonder what he's doing. Maybe it IS an eyesight thing.

Something is really wrong though more than simply committing too quickly or bad goalie coaching (although I also think both of those are involved, too).

@Mad Dog

team defense was poor ?

they gave up 20 shots, okay 21 shots, half of which were really really really stopable shots from above the circles....

it is not like all 20 of the shots the defense are giving up are quality scoring chances, now granted i had to watch "the condensed game" so i didn't see all the action, but what is telling to me is there were no "highlights" of sustained pressure by the flames, and there were 4 of "sustained pressure" by the Flyers...

the problem is NOT the defense.

Bryz slammed his stick on the net in disgust after the second goal as well.

@mojo1917 THIS game was not about defense. And I didn't see the Edmonton game, but it doesn't seem that one was, either.

But defense has been an issue. Team defense/gap/etc has been bad, backstopped by putrid goaltending. It seems they are slowly correcting the defense thing, but man, does goaltending have a long way to go.

@ruxpin

i can count on less than 2 hands the times this year when the defense has really been bad. sometimes (lately) it has been the penalty kill that's pooping the bed, but i put that on the forwards jsut as much, for example golden boy #28 chasing the puck around trying to kill the penalty by himself.

there will always be breakdowns and stupid clears and the other teams guys stepping up and making a nice play they are after all professionals the flyers play in the NHL.

the lapses are magnified because*(read with comedic russian accent)* expensive russian goalie wave at puck before fishing out of twine...

@Mad Dog

only read about the edmonton game, not our finest hour for sure. 20 minutes of moving your feet often doesn't get a good result. sometimes a long season and long flight to a western canadian outpost combine for that type of perfect poop storm. just stinks to have that happen when you feel like you need the points.

@mojo1917

I kind of agree with you, it really isn't that the defense is bad - Bryz makes them look AWFUL. They have struggled early to mid February with those backdoor goals, but that isn't the norm over the entire season. The D regularly limits opposing chances, and when they do allow shots, usually they are shooter-disadvantage (plain sight of goaltender, or way the hell away from the net). If Bryz makes routine saves this season, the fans don't:

- Have Lavy under fire for his job, system, handling of goaltenders

- Have Reese under fire for goaltending coaching / job

- Scream like we still have Lukas Krajicek and Ryan Parent back there on defense

I'm not saying it could be worse, though it could. I am saying it isn't as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. Except Bryz. Dude is dreadful.

I know Bryz is a poor starting golatender, first 2 shots were goals, that was a joke. I was ready to jump on the Bryz is the goat train, but there is always a fall guy on the Flyers going back to the late 80's. We've never had a stud goalie since Lindbergh. Hextall had a couple of good years, but even he would let in shots from center ice and give up softies. The thing about this game was character that everyone showed, even Bryz. He faced his demons in a way, going to the s/o may have been a good thing for him. I'd love to see Schnieder or Nabavov in here as a back up, but it isn't going to happen. We could be at a turning point with Bryz. I can't moan and groan about a win, it's not how you start, but how you finish. We are stuck with Bryz, tough learning year for him and I hope things get better next season. I'm not writing off this season, because no knows who is going to hit their stride going into the p/o's.