Pronger having knee surgery. Out a month

Guest Flyguys03

Homer said they hoped the knee would calm down while he was out with AIDS or whatever he has. It hasn't and surgery is the only option. Imagine how bad this contract is going to be in a couple years. ******* contract just started this year. Flyers better really do some thinking if they are allowed free buyouts with the new CBA. Pronger has to be a prime candidate for that.

Flyers better really do some thinking if they are allowed free buyouts with the new CBA. Pronger has to be a prime candidate for that.

I would agree, especially if there is a younger #1 FA defenseman floating around out there.

Ahh yes. The Philly Captain Curse.

Let's see....

Pronger -> Captain -> Falls apart

Richards -> Captain -> Petulant Child -> Traded

Forsberg -> Captain -> Footpa -> Traded

Smith -> Captain -> Leaves as UFA the next year

Primeau -> Captain -> Concussions -> Forced to retire

Lindros -> Captain -> Concussions -> Forced to retire

Was there an issue with Desjardins? Can't remember.

Pronger was breaking and showing this was an awful contract before he became captain. I mean who didn't think that his ****ed up knee would relapse at some point?

No Desjardins issues. He just wasn't captain material.

Edited by Flyguys03

@Flyguys03

It doesn't look good, does it? It isn't like he plays a reckless style that, if he tones it down a bit, he can stay in one piece. He already paces himself and picks his spots.

His leadership qualities are probably better than it has been in the past because of the greater maturity but it is tough to lead from the press box. If he is going to play only 50 games a year, he's going to get bought out.

@Flyguys03

It doesn't look good, does it? It isn't like he plays a reckless style that, if he tones it down a bit, he can stay in one piece. He already paces himself and picks his spots.

His leadership qualities are probably better than it has been in the past because of the greater maturity but it is tough to lead from the press box. If he is going to play only 50 games a year, he's going to get bought out.

The only way he gets bought out is if there's a one-time no penalty buy out after CBA renegs. Otherwise, you're looking at a 10 year period where his contract is on the books, and because it's 35+, the full cap hit counts for the remainder of his original contract (i.e. next 5 years), so it really makes no sense to buy him out.

The only way he gets bought out is if there's a one-time no penalty buy out after CBA renegs. Otherwise, you're looking at a 10 year period where his contract is on the books, and because it's 35+, the full cap hit counts for the remainder of his original contract (i.e. next 5 years), so it really makes no sense to buy him out.

That is the context we are talking about. I mentioned that in my first post about buying him out. Clearly they won't buy him out otherwise.

If he goes on LTIR for the remainder of his contract years (like that big guy Rathje from San Jose we had with Hatcher post lockout) does the $ come off the cap and do we just lose the contract space (as in max number of pro contracts)?

This is why the CBA is garbage.

What a ****ed up situation! I would like to think at least for the duraiton he is on IR, the Flyers would be looking to fill the void by someone who is not an AHLer. I believe they can do it, contractually, right? The question is, who can they possibly give up to get a player who is capable of contributing at a high level? The teams will likely be asking for Schenn and Couturier.

They need to bring a quality d-man and fast or this team is toast.

Maaaaan, what a nightmare overall. This will hunt the Flyers for a long time, unless Pronger decides to retire by the end of this season.

Edited by Mad Dog

What a ****ed up situation! I would like to think at least for the duraiton he is on IR, the Flyers would be looking to fill the void by someone who is not an AHLer. I believe they can do it, contractually, right? The question is, who can they possibly give up to get a player who is capable of contributing at a high level? The teams will likely be asking for Schenn and Couturier.

They need to bring a quality d-man and fast or this team is toast.

Maaaaan, what a nightmare overall. This will hunt the Flyers for a long time, unless Pronger decides to retire by the end of this season.

Even if he retires, it makes no difference. His cap hit will count for the entire length of the contract whether he plays or not because he was over 35 when the contract came into effect. Homer and the Flyers tried to dispute that the rule was the age a player is when he signs (Pronger signed at 34), but alas, they ****ed up their cap interpretation again.

A buy out of a 35+ contact does not reduce the cap hit. The full amount will count against the cap for the rest of the contract (5 more seasons after this one), and then the next 5 years would have no cap hit, but count towards roster limit. So a buyout is completely useless.

There are only two ways out of this contract:

1. Pronger is traded

2. Pronger is bought out under a special one-time buy out arrangement after the new CBA, assuming there is such a buy out period.

As for needing to replace him with NHL caliber defensemen, I agree. Marshall and Bourdon don't cut it. They're fine for #6 or #7 call up guys, but we lost our captain and future hall of famer. You can't replace him with fringe players. You can't even replace him with #3/4 guys.

The question is, do we need to replace him now? I don't think we do. We'll probably lose more games than we win, but I'd rather wait until Homer is not in a position of weakness and make a smart trade.

I'd trade Briere and/or Bobrovsky for the right package, provided we get a backup in the return. There's no ******* way Leighton should ever be on the big club again.

I'd also be willing to move Timonen, Carle and/or Hartnell.

Man, what a crazy injury situation for the team.