Calder Trophy 2021-22 Season

CALDER TROPHY FINALISTS  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do YOU Feel Should Win the Rookie Trophy This Season?

• Trever Zegras. The high flying Duck!
    • Michael Bunting. Big part of Toronto's success!
    • Moritz Seider. The next Victor Hedman or Niklas Lidstrom?? Maybeeee....

1205246373_CalderTrophyFinalists.thumb.jpg.17a82d771f3ff6e4b796edfaf37318d1.jpg

These are the players the NHL has voted on as the top three guys up for the trophy.
Vote in the poll which YOU think deserve it....not who you think the NHL will vote, but who YOU like for the trophy and why.
For those that like to peruse numbers, here are some stats of various sorts to look through for comparison (courtesy of Dobberhockey).

stats1.thumb.jpg.868c834d11a30e9dae83b076d743b0c3.jpg

262353023_statscomplete.thumb.jpg.8aab5bb6c201f1e8836d9d623951b627.jpg

For me, I like Mortiz Seider.
He plays the most demanding position and still managed to outscore many of his contemporaries, while playing a team still rebuilding and I feel he was the focus when teams gameplan against beating the Detroit defense.

Zegras had a good season, but suffered from severe bouts of inconsistency where he literally just disappeared for stretches.....while Bunting in Toronto, good season, but feel he benefitted greatly from playing with a much stronger cast than either Zegras or Seider have on their teams...plus, he is 26 and while technically a rookie due to games played in a full season prior, he still had substantial NHL experience prior with the Coyotes...and yea, I also noted that he didn't put up anywhere near the kind of numbers he did playing in Arizona....no surprise as that group of players isn't as dynamic as the ones in Toronto.

Now, now, before anyone gets their maples in an uproar, I am not suggesting a player be punished for having good teammates...just saying, I am personally more impressed with what Moritz Seider has accomplished given his much younger age, his surroundings, and his position on the team.

So for me, it is Detroit's young blue liner who I would NOT be surprised if he turns out to be a regular Norris candidate moving forward, barring injuries derailing him of course.

Some honorable mentions, IMO, who didn't make the NHL's final three:

Tanner Jeannot in Nashville.
Is he the next Tom Wilson type who combines offensive production while racking up the big penalty minutes with his aggressive heavy play? Could be....

Also, Lucas Raymond, also on the Wings, deserves mention for his outstanding production, although, much like Trevor Zegras, he seemed to mix in great play with long stretches of invisibility.
Still though, nice what he was able to do given the rebuilding Red Wings in a very tough Atlantic division.

So...who do YOU like?

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

100 % Seider, and for all the reasons you stated above.

Imo had a less supporting cast that bunting and zegras, and still put up solid numbers for a rookie d-man, and most nights was often the wings best player.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

100 % Seider, and for all the reasons you stated above.

Imo had a less supporting cast that bunting and zegras, and still put up solid numbers for a rookie d-man, and most nights was often the wings best player.

I just have to wonder if the sweater the player is wearing will factor into any of this. :shifty:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I just have to wonder if the sweater the player is wearing will factor into any of this. :shifty:

I couldn't care less about ANY of these awards. 

However, one point I would make on Bunting is this...

The notion that anyone can play with big stars like Matthews and Marner doesn't really hold any water. Many got opportunities to be with them. Bunting not only stuck but enhanced Matthews and Marner. It's one thing to hang on a line with big stars but when you can come in and not only fit like a glove, but enhance the big boys, you've done something mighty amazing. 

Do I think he should win? Again, I don't care. I just think he's been a tremendous player for the Leafs and made Matthews and Marner better. There's not another Leaf on this roster who would've done similarly. Not even Nylander or JT, IMO. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3 Palmateers said:

I couldn't care less about ANY of these awards. 

However, one point I would make on Bunting is this...

The notion that anyone can play with big stars like Matthews and Marner doesn't really hold any water. Many got opportunities to be with them. Bunting not only stuck but enhanced Matthews and Marner. It's one thing to hang on a line with big stars but when you can come in and not only fit like a glove, but enhance the big boys, you've done something mighty amazing. 

Do I think he should win? Again, I don't care. I just think he's been a tremendous player for the Leafs and made Matthews and Marner better. There's not another Leaf on this roster who would've done similarly. Not even Nylander or JT, IMO. 

Well said on Bunting's performance.

Look...I have an innate propensity to question most things "Toronto" due to the deluge of coverage they get.
I'm also an MLB fan, so I feel the same way about the Dodgers, Red Sox, and especially, the freakin Yankees.

But I get it. Big markets. High profile teams. Etc, Etc.
I am not all in on "Yea, baby, so and so won X trophy" either....I mean, you won't find me fighting tooth, nail and roundkicks with anyone over it.
But it IS nice when players do get recognition for their individual accomplishments, and always fun to speculate on who may win, who SHOULD win, and then talk about who eventually wins.

All awards IMO have been cheapened due to them mostly being a popular vote....hence my mini dig with the sweaters comment.

But back around to Michael Bunting....yes, he has to have a tremendous skillset to be able to play with the big boys.... just like anyone would have be the same over in Edmonton or Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay to play with the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, and Point.
However, I still feel Bunting HAS benefitted big time playing with those same big boys because I honestly do NOT see him having that very same performance year where HE has to be the one carrying the line.

Still though, I won't take away anything from him. He did his job, did it well, and did it in a tough hockey market.
But Seider, to me, is still more impressive for the reasons I stated.  :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Moritz Seider does it all. He not only delivers Assists at an alarming rate, he also is very effective with the Power Play and Penalty Kills for the Detroit Red Wings.  He definitely has a bright future on the Detroit Red Wings blue line for many years to come. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

Seider is my choice too. Usually a Hard Apple Seider or during a cold evening a Hot Apple Seider. Even on occasions when I am in the mood I will just settle for a Cold Apple Seider. 😛

You forgot hot seider mixed with fireball.