Wild 2022 off season

Jimtown guy

On 6/6/2022 at 1:24 AM, Alexandron said:

Definitely, not a goalie with starting his last name on letter "K". ๐Ÿ™‚

We did not have a luck with them.

Star goalie, in my opinion, must be able consistently steal games against the most offensive NHL teams as well as having the best GAA during the regular season (probably, below 2.0). Current Fleury did not fit into this category during the regular season by playing at Chicago . We gave him a chance, but his GAA was still high despite of competitive play with Talbot. Some goalies sometimes are standing up during playoffs, but I did not see that from our both goalies. Their GAA was high again which destructed team's mentality, especially during games #5 and #6. Sincerely, I did not recognize my team then, no enough efforts , no will to win, which was not acceptable for the playoffs. During this playoffs season I liked the most play of Binnington , Shesterkin and Vasilevsky so far.

Shes and Vas are the obvious mega stars. :)
Unless we develope one and in time they could become such a star goalie, We won't ever be able to trade for such or lure here in free agency.
Fleury is the closest thing we've ever done in that regards.
I think it's going to take aย goodย goalie (whether it's Wallstedt or someone else) and solid D that click together, D and G, supporting each other for the Wild to make a deep run.
Goalies in the past like Fernandez/Roloson and even Backstrom would be the level I'm thinking of for us.ย 

• Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Shes and Vas are the obvious mega stars. :)
Unless we develope one and in time they could become such a star goalie, We won't ever be able to trade for such or lure here in free agency.
Fleury is the closest thing we've ever done in that regards.
I think it's going to take aย goodย goalie (whether it's Wallstedt or someone else) and solid D that click together, D and G, supporting each other for the Wild to make a deep run.
Goalies in the past like Fernandez/Roloson and even Backstrom would be the level I'm thinking of for us.ย 

Not sure regarding Backstrom. Initially, for a couple seasons with us, he was really really good, then gradually his stats started to go down. In crucial moments of the game he was not able to steal those games, and his softies in the right and left top corners of the netย  did not impressed me at all. I agree regarding Fleury. He is a star, even not shiny as he was before but is still good. He probably, could be a very good expensive goalie coach in the future.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:58 PM, Alexandron said:

Not sure regarding Backstrom. Initially, for a couple seasons with us, he was really really good, then gradually his stats started to go down. In crucial moments of the game he was not able to steal those games, and his softies in the right and left top corners of the netย  did not impressed me at all. I agree regarding Fleury. He is a star, even not shiny as he was before but is still good. He probably, could be a very good expensive goalie coach in the future.

Mike Smith might be available. ;)
I'd like to see that stupid Trapezoid removed from the game. It doesn't stop goalies from playing the puck as much as they thought and as shown here can lead to some chaos.๐Ÿ˜„
Chaos is good if it means more scoring opps. Doesn't matter if some goalies are better at it than others, Nothing wrong with an advantage in that area and other goalies can learn to be better then.
It would at least lessen the 'Dump n' Chase' which drives me nuts. The League wants scoring, This would help and be way more entertaining.

While I'm at it improving the game...ย ๐Ÿ˜„
The X needs to get rid of the "Let's-Go-Why-Uld" ...Sounds bored and lazy. I propose more of a chant like "Let's Go......WILD" with a strong emphasis on the WILD part.
ย 

good shape mike smith.JPG

It's going to take a lot more than a superstar goalie to get the Wild to where they need to be.

ย 

They still can't score in the playoffs. Kaprizov was the only one that showed up with 7 goals. Maybe Eriksson-Ek with 3. But the rest of the team seemed to be looking forward to their tee times. Hartman: 0 goals (34 regular season). Fiala: 0 goals (33 regular season). Zuccarello: 1 goal (24 regular season). Foligno: 0 goals (23 regular season). Boldy: 1 goal (15 regular season). Greenway: 1 goal (10 regular season). Guys that combined for 139 goals during the regular season scored 3 in the playoffs. And the scary thing for next year is that a lot of these guys had career years.

ย 

The team is still soft. No one is afraid of them. Top five players on the Wild had 80 hits. Top five players on the Blues had 172 hits. Double. Matt Dumba had the most hits at 25. That would have placed him fifth on the Blues.

ย 

I know some people are pooh-poohing Evason's lack of practices as a reason for this years Playoff failure, claiming that because of the compressed schedule Evason had to rest the team in order to make it to the playoffs. But the fact is the special teams were bad and they're not going to get better by wishing them to be or continuing to trot out the same lineups game after game hoping something clicks.

ย 

Guerin better get this mess figured out soon, or in four years the most exciting player the Wild have had since Marian Gaborik will walk.ย 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

ย 

ย 

I know some people are pooh-poohing Evason's lack of practices as a reason for this years Playoff failure, claiming that because of the compressed schedule Evason had to rest the team in order to make it to the playoffs. But the fact is the special teams were bad and they're not going to get better by wishing them to be or continuing to trot out the same lineups game after game hoping something clicks.

ย 

Guerin better get this mess figured out soon, or in four years the most exciting player the Wild have had since Marian Gaborik will walk.ย 

Exactly...Like I said, The plans on special teams are flawed. It shouldn't take an entire season to realize that.

I don't think it'll matter too much what magic Guerin comes up with in order to keep Kaprisov here.
I never thought Kap would envision playing for the Wild past his current contract. I figure his future plans are for the Bright lights-Big city team.

Edited by ClusterChuck

On 6/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Exactly...Like I said, The plans on special teams are flawed. It shouldn't take an entire season to realize that.

I don't think it'll matter too much what magic Guerin comes up with in order to keep Kaprisov here.
I never thought Kap would envision playing for the Wild past his current contract. I figure his future plans are for the Bright lights-Big city team.

I still think Guerin capable to attract Kaprizov by tremendous improvement of the team. Probably , it will take more than a couple seasons. Even with this roster team played not bad at all, especially during the regular season. Many players improved their stats in comparison to other seasons in their career. Of course, we need to have more stars in offense; also to improve scoring production in all 4(four) lines as well as defense; and, like I said before to get a star goalie. This playoffs evidently showed that trend.

I think next year will be a big step towards a new reality.ย  I don't have a problem with it; and $$$ will force their hand for the next 3 seasons.ย ย 

ย 

Kaprizov is a superstar, but the clock is still ticking on that deal...where even though they cannot talk to him about a new deal until the last year of the contract they must believe its possible or probably be forced to deal him before the NTC kicks in.ย ย 

ย 

We might learn more about this team's direction at the draft if we see some trades drop.ย ย 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

I think next year will be a big step towards a new reality.ย  I don't have a problem with it; and $$$ will force their hand for the next 3 seasons.ย ย 

ย 

Kaprizov is a superstar, but the clock is still ticking on that deal...where even though they cannot talk to him about a new deal until the last year of the contract they must believe its possible or probably be forced to deal him before the NTC kicks in.ย ย 

ย 

We might learn more about this team's direction at the draft if we see some trades drop.ย ย 

ย 

Wouldn't surprise me if they trade Fiala for a bunch of picks and prospects. That way they don't have to pay them right away until the team gets out from under the Parise/Suter buyout hell after 2025.

ย 

But I'm not real jazzed about getting picks, because the Wild aren't exactly known for their drafting ability...ย 

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

ย 

Wouldn't surprise me if they trade Fiala for a bunch of picks and prospects. That way they don't have to pay them right away until the team gets out from under the Parise/Suter buyout hell after 2025.

ย 

But I'm not real jazzed about getting picks, because the Wild aren't exactly known for their drafting ability...ย 

I think the trade is Fiala to the Devils for Dawson Mercer and a pick or two. Could be NJโ€™s number one next year or a second. Could be some other minor players included in the deal as well, but Fiala and Mercer would be the highlight.

I think the Wild will be lucky to get a 1st round pick and or a top notch young player for Kevin Fiala, especially with the other names being bantered about like Johnny Gaudreau and David Pastrnak who have more proven resumes.ย  One would think that would drive the value lower for what we'd get for Fiala or perhaps it could create a frenzy because other clubs' fear of missing out.ย  Its tough to say...

ย 

Mercer would be a great get, but the Devils would be foolish to part with him IMO.ย ย 

ย 

@IllaZillais 100% correct about the team being soft and the lack of scoring.ย  IMO that's more concerning than goaltending.ย ย 

• Like 1

Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Connor Dewar to a Two-Year, One-Way Contract

ย 

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed forward Connor Dewar to a two-year, one-way, $1.6 million contract ($800,000 average annual value) that goes through the 2023-24 season.

Dewar, 23 (6/26/99), collected six points (2-4=6), 25 penalty minutes (PIM), 44 shots on goal, 48 hits and 22 blocked shots in 35 contests with Minnesota during the 2021-22 season.ย 

• Like 1

So Guerin took care of the White Elephant in the room in Fiala, But now what?
Are we going to limp our way for the next 3 seasons waiting all this hell out?

I'd like to see a bold move this summer by trading 2 highly paid D Men where one isn't as effective as a few years back and the other is as good as he'll ever be.
Whoever we go with in goal would benefit greatly from some actual size helping to clear opponents from the front and around the net, We lack that especially after watching so much of the SC playoffs.
ย 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

Only one highly paid defenseman doesn't have a full NMC and Guerin gets mad any time someone suggests trading him.ย  Spurgeon, Brodin, and Goligoski have full NMC's so I doubt they'll waive that to go somewhere else.ย ย 

ย 

I'd love to see us deal any of those defenseman previously mentioned not named Brodin, but I don't think its going to happen.ย  The team has a ton of defenseman prospects.ย  Jon Merrill won't be there to start next season but that pretty much gives us 7 defenseman (assuming we re-sign Middleton) with no open spots for younger players to fill in.ย ย 

ย 

If the Wild draft another defenseman with one of their 1st round picks, maybe we'll see this team make a trade out of its Top 4.ย ย 

Honestly, does anyone think it will make a big difference for the Wild if Marc-Andre Fleury returns to the Wild next season?ย  I don't think it will make that much of a difference at all; and I don't see us as a contender.ย  We might as well use the space to give Boldy a bridge deal, re-sign Middleton and promote another young player along with Rossi to the big club at forward.ย ย 

• Good Post 2

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Honestly, does anyone think it will make a big difference for the Wild if Marc-Andre Fleury returns to the Wild next season?ย  I don't think it will make that much of a difference at all; and I don't see us as a contender.ย  We might as well use the space to give Boldy a bridge deal, re-sign Middleton and promote another young player along with Rossi to the big club at forward.ย ย 

I tend to think the same way. Iโ€™ve never thought we should resign MAF. Spend that money on Middleton and or Deslauries.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

I tend to think the same way. Iโ€™ve never thought we should resign MAF. Spend that money on Middleton and or Deslauries.

ย 

Deslauriers...meh.ย  No reason to keep him either IMO.ย  Middleton though, I'm fine with that.ย  MAF, see ya!ย ย 

ย 

Did anyone see this?ย  Sounds like Kaprizov had some kind of phony ID that said he did his Russian military service like that Philadelphia goaltending prospect did.ย  So as soon as Kaprizov heard the news he got the hell out of Russia and is supposedly wanted there for dodging his military service.ย ย 

ย 

If so, I'm glad he got away...but still...a close call for him and the Wild this summer.ย  if true of course...

ย 

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Uggh... 1

So we loseย Deslauriers, OK, I liked his game and effort but not earth shattering. But we lose some toughness.

BG 'says' he wants to keep both Talbot and MAF but it doesn't make fiscal sense especially if MAF wants more $.ย 
I don't trust him on Talbot given he has only 1 year remaining and he wants Fluery more than Talbot and might trade him in the meantime since he pi$$ed him off too (or at least his wife) :P

Ke
ep hearing "How do we make up Fiala's point totals?" Well, Boldy may gel with both linemates instead of just him and Fiala and spread the wealth.ย 
Teams seemed to key on Fiala all the time and would get burned by Boldy until they started to realize his talent. Now with 3 guys that mesh together, Whoever that may be could be more productive.

Kaprisov?...Hmmm, Stay tuned. We don't need any distractions like this.ย ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Not sure why BG is so in love with MAF. I thought it was a Richard Move to let Talbot take you all the way to the Playoffs, but then all of a sudden he's not good enough for the Playoffs. Maybe using MAF as a back up if Talbot faltered, or rotating them to give them more rest? But just to yank the starting job from him like that was a Richard Move in my opinion.

ย 

And I don't think the team will miss just Fiala's goals. Hartman had a career high of 34 goals. Same with Zuccarello. He scored 24 goals. Kulikov had a career year scoring 7 goals from the blueline. Eriksson-Ek had a career year scoring 24 goals. So did Foligno at 23 goals. Point is a lot of these guys scored like never before. So IMO, it's not just Fiala's 30 goals the Wild are going to miss. There is the potential that these guys come back to Earth. So in addition to Fiala's 30 goals, the Wild are going to have to make up whatever these other guys are short.ย 

ย 

Interesting if true about Kaprizov. Wonder how many other Russian players didn't complete their military service. I just have a hard time believing that a high profile player like Kaprizov was allowed to leave for the West having not fulfilled his duty to the Motherland...

• Like 1