Wild 2022 off season

Jimtown guy

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

D439F164-85E9-4B18-AF9D-A80DC9C7C671.jpeg

Not bad.

Middleton obviously won't help the offense much (whatever he gets you on the scoresheet is gravy, IMO), but at least the Wild will have a guy back there that won't allow the team to get pushed around by some of the big bottom sixers of the opposition.

Cant really complain about the term and AAV, as these are the types of deals Minnesota will have to make over the next four years to even sniff at staying competitive.

Welcome back to Minnesota, Jacob!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Deslauriers...meh.  No reason to keep him either IMO.  Middleton though, I'm fine with that.  MAF, see ya!  

Did anyone see this?  Sounds like Kaprizov had some kind of phony ID that said he did his Russian military service like that Philadelphia goaltending prospect did.  So as soon as Kaprizov heard the news he got the hell out of Russia and is supposedly wanted there for dodging his military service.  

If so, I'm glad he got away...but still...a close call for him and the Wild this summer.  if true of course...

Stay tuned regarding Kaprizov. The reports that he got out of Russia are false and according to Guerin, he’s still over there. Read Russo’s article in The Athletic. A source close to Russian hockey players seems to think Kaprizov will be able to get out, but said if Putin wanted to make an example of someone Kaprizov could be the guy. Kaprizov’s parents are denying that he bought a fake military ID like Fedatov did, which has supposedly landed him in custody in Siberia at a Russian naval base. Also important to note is that Russian athletes study abroad as students in the Russian Presidential Academy. Kirill’s status in this school expired June 30th so regardless of the fake ID situation, the Russians could refuse his request to leave the country and force him to fulfill his military service. Guerin pleaded with Kaprizov not to return home. Apparently so did the agents of pretty much all the Russian players, but most all went home. 

It’s a potentially bad situation for all parties.

Just out of curiosity, if the Russians, i.e. Putin, refuse to let Kirill and other Russian players leave the country, how would that impact the salary caps for teams??

16 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Not sure why BG is so in love with MAF. I thought it was a Richard Move to let Talbot take you all the way to the Playoffs, but then all of a sudden he's not good enough for the Playoffs. Maybe using MAF as a back up if Talbot faltered, or rotating them to give them more rest? But just to yank the starting job from him like that was a Richard Move in my opinion.

And I don't think the team will miss just Fiala's goals. Hartman had a career high of 34 goals. Same with Zuccarello. He scored 24 goals. Kulikov had a career year scoring 7 goals from the blueline. Eriksson-Ek had a career year scoring 24 goals. So did Foligno at 23 goals. Point is a lot of these guys scored like never before. So IMO, it's not just Fiala's 30 goals the Wild are going to miss. There is the potential that these guys come back to Earth. So in addition to Fiala's 30 goals, the Wild are going to have to make up whatever these other guys are short. 

Interesting if true about Kaprizov. Wonder how many other Russian players didn't complete their military service. I just have a hard time believing that a high profile player like Kaprizov was allowed to leave for the West having not fulfilled his duty to the Motherland...

Think its additional sabre rattling ala the Brittney Griner situation?  I know she was detained for the vaping devices with the CBD oil, but is this Russia's way to pressure the West and / U.S. to ease up on helping the Ukraine?  Kaprizov's still there, for now.  

Also, according to Russo it sounds like Guerin practically begged Kaprizov not to go back to Russia, and understandably so.  

I agree with you 100% on the point about not understanding why Guerin thinks its so essential to bring back MAF.  Why?  Yes, total Richard move to do what he did to Talbot. 

Also, I agree with your point that its more than just Fiala's 85-points and goal scoring that is going to be lost this year.  The Wild, as you pointed out had a lot of players with career-years and with the exception of maybe Eriksson Ek, Kaprizov, and Boldy...I think its unlikely we're going to see totals like that again.  

Boldy, for as much as people want to think he could make up for the loss of scoring from Fiala.  Don't forget, Boldy also benefited from having Fiala draw a lot of the pressure / attention his way.  He won't have that same kind of player with him now.  Rossi isn't that kind of player; and I think the world will be moving pretty fast for him as it is.  

8 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Stay tuned regarding Kaprizov. The reports that he got out of Russia are false and according to Guerin, he’s still over there. Read Russo’s article in The Athletic. A source close to Russian hockey players seems to think Kaprizov will be able to get out, but said if Putin wanted to make an example of someone Kaprizov could be the guy. Kaprizov’s parents are denying that he bought a fake military ID like Fedatov did, which has supposedly landed him in custody in Siberia at a Russian naval base. Also important to note is that Russian athletes study abroad as students in the Russian Presidential Academy. Kirill’s status in this school expired June 30th so regardless of the fake ID situation, the Russians could refuse his request to leave the country and force him to fulfill his military service. Guerin pleaded with Kaprizov not to return home. Apparently so did the agents of pretty much all the Russian players, but most all went home. 

It’s a potentially bad situation for all parties.

Just out of curiosity, if the Russians, i.e. Putin, refuse to let Kirill and other Russian players leave the country, how would that impact the salary caps for teams??

Fair question, will teams consider it a breach of contract even though its for circumstances beyond their control?  Will it count as a contract year?  Anyone know if Kulikov went back or does he summer in Florida?  

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Wonder if they treat it like the Nashville/Radulov incident several years back...

Not sure, and if he's gone for a season do you do what Nashville did and simply 'forgive' and move on?  Even though Radulov's situation was 100% voluntary.  

29 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not sure, and if he's gone for a season do you do what Nashville did and simply 'forgive' and move on?  Even though Radulov's situation was 100% voluntary.  

That's the $64,000 question. Maybe Nashville "forgave" Radulov and let him go be cause he was too big a distraction.

And then there is the cap implications. Say Kaprizov isn't allowed back for a while. Do the Wild use that $10M in cap space to shore up the team? What if they do and Kaprizov comes back, now what? Would the Wild be allowed to just cut those players, or would the NHL make them do the whole buyout thing? Or do they leave that $10M open just in case he comes back, and are now $22M under the cap? Or I suppose they could kick a few players in the shins and use LTIR like Vegas did to hide some players.

Wonder how this is going to affect the drafting of Russian players in this years draft...

1 minute ago, ClusterChuck said:

Guerin got his checklist completed now...
"Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to a two-year, $7 million contract"
Did not expect a 2 year deal, But MAF is staying.

While I’m not so sure I would have done this, I guess if you lose Fiala and your scoring could be down, you might want to have two experienced goalies to keep pucks out of the net. I guess if you have limited dollars, keeping the puck out of the net might be the best way to spend what dollars you have.

4 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Guerin got his checklist completed now...
"Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to a two-year, $7 million contract"
Did not expect a 2 year deal, But MAF is staying.

I’m guessing Talbot won’t be back after this season (after BG crapped on him) and MAF can mentor Wallstedt…

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Just to be accurate, there has been no mention that Fedotov has been accused of purchasing a fake military ID.  And, it doesn't sound like he's in Siberia.  He's been "suspected of evading compulsory military service."  Reports of where he's located are blurry.  But, it's reported that he's in "a military base in Severodvinsk, a naval city with shipyards on Russia’s north coast, though there have been conflicting reports about exactly where he is."  Severodvinsk isn't Siberia.  So, just to be accurate, these two situations appear to be completely different circumstances, while still having the same goal.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2022/07/05/flyers-goalie-prospect-ivan-fedotov-russian-military-base-agent/

The Siberia comment by me was tongue in cheek, but Fedatov has been accused according to some sources of purchasing a fake military ID from a high ranking military official, who has allegedly done this for others. It’s in Russo’s article and has been repeated on NHL Network and NHL Radio. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

While I’m not so sure I would have done this, I guess if you lose Fiala and your scoring could be down, you might want to have two experienced goalies to keep pucks out of the net. I guess if you have limited dollars, keeping the puck out of the net might be the best way to spend what dollars you have.

2 years at that price might make sense given that next year is Talbot's last and he may get traded at the dealine and they bring up the young kid then. 
Then Fleury is around to mentor him.
*If Guerin doesn't trade Talbot this summer. ;)

• Like 1

We are at pick 17 and Kemell and Lambert are still sitting there!! Either would be a great choice! I also like Yurov is probably the best value here but the Russia stuff makes me nervous. 

Edit: Damn, Preds took Kemell. Stars might grab Lambert. 

Edited by TallyTigerShark

I posted about the prospects in the Draft Preview thread since I thought that was more of the draft focused topic.  I guess I can post it here too.  

Wild select Liam Ohgren & Danila Yurov in the 1st round of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

I analyze and share my thoughts on both of the picks.  I will post the day 2 Draft Analysis over on the Draft Preview thread.  

Also since I didn't see it mentioned.  Marc-Andre Fleury has a full no movement clause for both of those years.  Yea, as if we didn't have enough NMC's already.  Chuck Fletcher might be feeling envious of all of these NMC's Guerin has handed out in the last two seasons...sheesh.  

So the Wild have $1.4 million of cap space to have 3 more players under contract.  I'm going to guess they will be entry level guys (Rossi, Addison, ???) to keep it cheap?  When asked by Russo last night about that, he said he didn't know what the team was going to do yet and it depends on what happens going forward.  My guess is they look to trade away a contract to give themselves a bit more room.  

As far as the possibility of the Russian players being stuck in Russia...even Bettman backed off from saying anything about it.  There really isn't anything the league can do.  As someone mentioned the Athletic article about it; sounds like GM's across the league pleaded with their Russian players not to go back for this very reason and as its been said...they ignored that advice.  One would guess the NHL teams would not be compelled to pay them if they can't make it back.  

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

So the Wild have $1.4 million of cap space to have 3 more players under contract.  I'm going to guess they will be entry level guys (Rossi, Addison, ???) to keep it cheap?  When asked by Russo last night about that, he said he didn't know what the team was going to do yet and it depends on what happens going forward.  My guess is they look to trade away a contract to give themselves a bit more room.   

They are going to have to move someone. Usually teams keep about a $1M buffer between payroll and the cap in case they need call ups. If the Wild keep the $1M buffer, that leaves them with $400K to the cap. 

They can’t move any defensemen, since everyone but Merrill has some sort of NMC. The only one they could move is Dumba, and BG is adamant he won’t move him. Few of the forwards have NTC/NMC’s. So they could move a forward. IMO they could move Greenway. They are paying him $3M and he delivered 27 points. 

Charlie Coyle 2.0 in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

They are going to have to move someone. Usually teams keep about a $1M buffer between payroll and the cap in case they need call ups. If the Wild keep the $1M buffer, that leaves them with $400K to the cap. 

They can’t move any defensemen, since everyone but Merrill has some sort of NMC. The only one they could move is Dumba, and BG is adamant he won’t move him. Few of the forwards have NTC/NMC’s. So they could move a forward. IMO they could move Greenway. They are paying him $3M and he delivered 27 points. 

Charlie Coyle 2.0 in my opinion. 

Greenway would probably have more takers but I like the Big Rig. We need his bulk. Would be hard for me to move him but that’s just me.I don’t see any forwards that I would move.

Looking at the D corp, I’d love to move Merrill. I’ve just never been a fan and even though the extension was only $1.2M/year, I didn’t like it. No one is trading for him though we we are stuck.

I know he’s under contract, and I know BG doesn’t want to do it, and doesn’t have to do it, but we could end up moving Talbot. If it is a bad or worse behind the scenes as it sounds it could be, you could have a locker room issue. Talbot has always struck me as a pro and team guy so I’d be surprised if he caused and issue, but he has to be super pissed…and I couldn’t blame him.

The crappy thing with moving Greenway is the GREEF line doesn't work unless all of its pieces are together.  Jost or Kulikov would be options to try to deal away.  Still its a waste when you consider the dumb money they handed out to Merrill just to get hurt at the World Championships.  

• Good Post 1

I know BG is just being BG with his response to Talbot's agent and I always like his candor but...
To say "My team is set right now" makes me not too excited at this point.
Set huh?...You lost a scorer and some toughness and made no improvements or even additions to the upcoming season (Aside from roster openings for the farm boys)

His defense of Dumba was more reaction to the fans harping about him vs Fiala.
I believe BG won't admit that he knows he's stuck with Dumba now as basically the rest of the league sees him as not worth his current price tag.
Dumba hasn't improved in the last 3 years one bit and BG says he likes his game. 🤔

Summer is the best time for deals and we're missing out on at least gaining someone that could fit in a needed spot and/or a little cap relief if he dared to make a deal.
I know we're waist deep in the "Cap Hell" years now but to say "We're set" makes me thing this upcoming season will be a Lame-Duck one. 😏

3 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

50C7D851-76B6-4773-A9E9-AB3AD13E0780.jpeg

I mean there is a whole thread that was created just on this (development camp)...but it would be a shame to have more than one active thread here.  

I digress...

I agree with what ClusterChuck is saying about Dumba.  Guerin seems to want to keep him around even though the cap would indicate otherwise.  He's let past relationships guide some of his decision-making in the deals to Goligoski and Fleury.  

Yet I don't disagree that this is pretty much the team because honestly what else could it be given their cap crunch?  As it is, they will have to trade one player but that will probably be to pay Addison, Rossi and maybe another cheap contract to be on the 4th line.  So yea, you pretty much have your team.  The only question is who he can trade.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
I wanted to make one change.

Yeah, no doubt in my mind this is the team, unless there is something that comes to a head with Talbot that forces a trade.  I’m fine if you trade Dumba, but even if you did, still doubtful your going to have enough cap space to sign some impact player to replace Fiala’s production. We knew this was coming with the cap crunch, but I still believe the buyouts were the right thing to do. 

There is little doubt in my mind that Rossi and Addison at a minimum will be on the opening day roster. We will not be as good a team as last year, but I still don’t see any reason this team won’t be competitive and compete for a playoff spot. They should not go from a top 5-10 team in the league, to bottom dwellers because of Fiala. 

Of course I’m assuming everything goes well where Kaprizov is concerned…..

14 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Yeah, no doubt in my mind this is the team, unless there is something that comes to a head with Talbot that forces a trade.  I’m fine if you trade Dumba, but even if you did, still doubtful your going to have enough cap space to sign some impact player to replace Fiala’s production. We knew this was coming with the cap crunch, but I still believe the buyouts were the right thing to do. 

There is little doubt in my mind that Rossi and Addison at a minimum will be on the opening day roster. We will not be as good a team as last year, but I still don’t see any reason this team won’t be competitive and compete for a playoff spot. They should not go from a top 5-10 team in the league, to bottom dwellers because of Fiala. 

Of course I’m assuming everything goes well where Kaprizov is concerned…..

I think most of the fanbase would be ok with a Dumba trade.  We feel comfortable we know what he is.  He isn't the same since his injury and no he's not worth $6 million a season.  Do I think he'd entertain a discount?  Probably not.  

But might it be better IF the Wild were bottom dwellers?  Next year is a better draft class than the one we just had.  Being ok enough to get into the playoffs but do nothing once we get there isn't really accomplishing much of anything.