Nodl waived

Guest brelic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homer said he waived Nodl to gauge trade interest (which sounds weird to me), and hasn't decided whether or not he will remain with the team or be reassigned to ADK.

A sphincter says what?!?! So if someone grabs him on the way down, he is then off the Flyers roster freeing up space for a different move? (The first line was directed at Homer talking ****......)

A sphincter says what?!?! So if someone grabs him on the way down, he is then off the Flyers roster freeing up space for a different move? (The first line was directed at Homer talking ****......)

Yeah, if someone grabs him on the way down, he's off our books. But if he's traded now, he'd have to go through re-entry at some point with the new club, or be sent down (though I could be totally wrong on the interpretation of waiver rules)... so, now sure how this can gauge trade interest.

Homer said he waived Nodl to gauge trade interest (which sounds weird to me), and hasn't decided whether or not he will remain with the team or be reassigned to ADK.

Wow! What an idiotic way to put it, Homer. If you want to "gauge trade interest", why not just pick up the phone and call teams? When you put someone on the waiver - not that Nodl woudl be a huge loss - you *have* to expect him being picked up. This was clearly a move towards cap releif. Nodl was the most expendable.

Anyway.... so he went unclaimed, right? My guess something is brewing. Homer is clearly trying to make a move. With both Pronger and Lilja on LTIR, and Nodl gone, the Flyers would have room to sign players. But again, the problem now is not so much the cap space, but the fact they would have to trade someone decent from the roster. A good d-man won't be acquired for Shelley. Something significant would have to be given up.

Nodl claimed by Carolina

Per FRANK SERAVALLI

I, for one, am going to miss ol' Neon Nodl.

And the only person who's name should be at the top of the list for "cap relief" is "Jody Shelley"

Cap-strapped and at the contract limit - great way to "test the trade market".

@ radoran

i can't help but seeing nodl's career arc as similar to ruslan fedotenko's... he'll go to a team and contribute toward making that team a winner. you need guys like nodl always around the puck, are not afraid to hit a guy, and can play the pk while chipping in with the 12-20 goals and 20 helpers. too bad we got nothing in return.

totally agree about shelley good guy in the room or whatever he doesn't make the team better or at the very least harder to play against. he loves the game though so maybe he sticks with the organization in a different capacity.

Edited by mojo1917

@ radoran

i can't help but seeing nodl's career arc as similar to ruslan fedotenko's... he'll go to a team and contribute toward making that team a winner. you need guys like nodl always around the puck, are not afraid to hit a guy, and can play the pk while chipping in with the 12-20 goals and 20 helpers. too bad we got nothing in return.

totally agree about shelley good guy in the room or whatever he doesn't make the team better or at the very least harder to play against. he loves the game though so maybe he sticks with the organization in a different capacity.

Nodl was ok, but I think we seriously upgraded that role with guys like Read, Z, and Rinaldo. And the first two seem to have more offensive spunk than Noodle.

Can a mod change the topic title to Nodl waived / claimed by Carolina or something like that?

Done.

And the only person who's name should be at the top of the list for "cap relief" is "Jody Shelley"

Ranking the flyers players in greatest value (skills compared to salary)..... Nodl is a far better value.

I don't understand them waiving Nodl first.

Nodl was ok, but I think we seriously upgraded that role with guys like Read, Z, and Rinaldo. And the first two seem to have more offensive spunk than Noodle.

I don't expect Nodl to be Patrick Sharp - or even Rusty, for that matter - but it sucks to lose an asset for nothing simply because you've bungled the cap management.

Nodl was $300K cheaper than Shelley and brought infinitely more to the table, IMO. I'd take Nodl over Shelley 12 times out of 3.

I don't expect Nodl to be Patrick Sharp - or even Rusty, for that matter - but it sucks to lose an asset for nothing simply because you've bungled the cap management.

Nodl was $300K cheaper than Shelley and brought infinitely more to the table, IMO. I'd take Nodl over Shelley 12 times out of 3.

Agreed. It's unreal. At this point, I honestly think they would get rid of someone like Harry Z, just to keep Shelley ... I'm dead serious. They (Flyers management) LOVE him. They might even consider Rinaldo as well. Matt Read is too good at this point .. and I would assume, everyone else would be safe, but who knows? Shelley seems to be considered a core piece of the team by Homer. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Well, not the first time this happened, and my wild guess is, won't be the last......

I'll say it again just to hear myself, I like Shelly as a person is no doubt a great locker roon guy... but... NOT at 1.1 mil. And not at the expense of younger guys who can play in multiple rolls (Nodl, Harry Z, ect...). He's our fighter and we had 2 fights with the Rags and he wasn't even in any of them!

And so the great Nodl experiment ends with a whimper. No more trying to figure out if he's going to have a break out year or where he fits in on the roster. Now, the debat can begin in Carolina...

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't call it an experiment. He was a fringe player essentially since day 1. I am not going to shed tears over Andreas Nodl. But I want ot echo what Rad siad... year after year this management corners itslef into a position to dump players to cover for their own inaptitude in handling salary cap. That's what I find the most disconcerting of all.

I am not going to shed tears over Andreas Nodl. But I want ot echo what Rad siad... year after year this management corners itslef into a position to dump players to cover for their own inaptitude in handling salary cap. That's what I find the most disconcerting of all.

Exactly - They should be dumping non-players with greater cap hits, like Shelley, if they need the space so badly.

Exactly - They should be dumping non-players with greater cap hits, like Shelley, if they need the space so badly.

Yep. But here is what I wonder though. Would any team actually show interst in a stiff like Shelley, knowing what his salary is? For better or worse, Nodl at least can fetch you a cap relief, and I think if Homer would care, he could've actually even gotten a roster player in return. Granted, he was not looking for a player in this particular case, but still.

Shelley is a total waste. I don't know who in his right mind would pick him off the waver wire.

Yep. But here is what I wonder though. Would any team actually show interst in a stiff like Shelley, knowing what his salary is?

Definitely not, Mad Dog ... but that is irrelevant to me. Once he cleared waivers, he'd be down with the Phantoms, or better yet, the Titans, if I was in charge.

Edited by The Hoff

Yep. But here is what I wonder though. Would any team actually show interst in a stiff like Shelley, knowing what his salary is? For better or worse, Nodl at least can fetch you a cap relief, and I think if Homer would care, he could've actually even gotten a roster player in return. Granted, he was not looking for a player in this particular case, but still.

Shelley is a total waste. I don't know who in his right mind would pick him off the waver wire.

Yes, but once waived and assigned to Adirondack he could be a great "in the room" addition to the Phantoms AND get the $1.1M off the cap.

Of course, that doesn't help the maxed out number of contracts, so...

Argh.

And if I would guess, that's likely what prevented Homer from putting him on wavers...

Having $1.9M in cap space (Nodl + Shelley) wouldn't be a Bad Thing in terms of acquiring a serviceable player. Or Matt Walker.

I'm not going to be in the "WAAAH! WE TRADED NODL!" camp, but the two moves (waiving Shelley/Nodl) are not mutually exclusive.

Except at 3600 S. Broad...

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't call it an experiment. He was a fringe player essentially since day 1. I am not going to shed tears over Andreas Nodl.

well, not for nothing, but he reminded me a little of a less-disinterested patrick sharp while he was a flyer. sharp with his 72 points through his first 196 games. that's where my little more-than-jagr foot-in-mouth thing came from. nodl has tools and always seemed motivated, just hadn't put it all together...much like sharp's first 5 seasons. aside from the "motivated" part, anyway.

i wish the kid well, and won't be surprised if he carves out a nice career elsewhere.

And so the great Nodl experiment ends with a whimper. No more trying to figure out if he's going to have a break out year or where he fits in on the roster. Now, the debat can begin in Carolina...

they gave him much longer than I would've predicted, that's for sure.