Malkin Monster, MVP? / Hart?

Guest idahophilly

So, watching NHL Network this morning and they say Malkin is the front runner for the MVP. Not saying I disagree. But Giroux and Lundquist gotta be very seroiusly considered... So, who are your front runners??? Or who is being overlooked (Sedin(s))??? The MVP isn't about the best player but the most valuable (obviously) but the pundits get hung up on points... Perhaps a worst team in the NHL could have a d-man that is MVP? What do you think?

So, watching NHL Network this morning and they say Malkin is the front runner for the MVP. Not saying I disagree. But Giroux and Lundquist gotta be very seroiusly considered... So, who are your front runners??? Or who is being overlooked (Sedin(s))??? The MVP isn't about the best player but the most valuable (obviously) but the pundits get hung up on points... Perhaps a worst team in the NHL could have a d-man that is MVP? What do you think?

Hard to argue with Malkin. Where would the Pens be without him?

• 2 weeks later...

The top goalie already gets the Vezina, so I am usually against them being in the running for the Hart, but in Lundy's case I might make an exception. He gets very low goal support from the offense.

@idahophilly-

The names I would put in the hat are Stamkos and Malkin. I think Giroux had an excellent first half of the year, but has been up down in the second half. Its also hard for me to think of Giroux on a team that leads the league in offense. If I look at Tampa, I see a one and half line team with no goaltending. If I look at Pittsburgh, I see a solid 2 to 3 lines plus a top goalie. Malkin has been great, but I think people need to start looking at Stamkos. The bolts are 4 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. If they make the playoffs, Stamkos would get my vote. He has 10GWG including 4 in OT. You take Malkin off of Pittsburgh and they are probably still in the Playoffs. You take Stamkos off of the bolts and they are battling Columbus for the #1 overall pick.

With Lundqvist, I am more of the opinion that the Vezina is more appropriate and I think it will come down to him and Quick. In fact, if Quick had the offensive support that Lundqvist had, he would probably be a lock as he would have more wins than henry.

The top goalie already gets the Vezina, so I am usually against them being in the running for the Hart, but in Lundy's case I might make an exception. He gets very low goal support from the offense.

Yuppers. Just like the Cy Young in baseball vs. MVP. For a pitcher to win MVP, he's got to be ** THAT ** dominant. Lundy is having a phenominal year but when the back-up is 11-4 with a 2.25 GAA and that back-up is Biron (i.e. - whoever is in net plays behind an above-average D) I can't quite bring myself to say Lundy should win it. He should be a lock for the Vezina but the MVP should come down to Stamkos and Malkin.

@idahophilly-

The names I would put in the hat are Stamkos and Malkin. I think Giroux had an excellent first half of the year, but has been up down in the second half. Its also hard for me to think of Giroux on a team that leads the league in offense. If I look at Tampa, I see a one and half line team with no goaltending. If I look at Pittsburgh, I see a solid 2 to 3 lines plus a top goalie. Malkin has been great, but I think people need to start looking at Stamkos. The bolts are 4 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. If they make the playoffs, Stamkos would get my vote. He has 10GWG including 4 in OT. You take Malkin off of Pittsburgh and they are probably still in the Playoffs. You take Stamkos off of the bolts and they are battling Columbus for the #1 overall pick.

With Lundqvist, I am more of the opinion that the Vezina is more appropriate and I think it will come down to him and Quick. In fact, if Quick had the offensive support that Lundqvist had, he would probably be a lock as he would have more wins than henry.

I agree...right now I'd go Stamkos if the Bolts make the playoffs and his numbers remain slightly better than Malkin's.

i think both are malkin's, but as others have said, stamkos could give him a run on both. at this moment? for me.. it's malkin hands down. he's single handedly carried the pens all season and he was out for a pretty good stretch there with the knee injury.

as much as i hate the pens and i've never been a fan of malkin's before... his play has been nothing short of impressive. and dare i say... i might be a little bit of a malkin fan now? yeck.. i think i almost threw up in my mouth a little.

i think that's probably right, the only other guy i can think of would be, as others have mentioned, Stamkos, his back is going to be sore after carrying that team around for a 3/4th of a year.

malkin has been terrific, and terrifically ugly.

i don't think Giroux is playing at Malkin's level right now, when 71 is on the ice, much like when 66 was on the ice in the late 80's you think he's going to score, or at least do something you've never seen before..

Malkin would get my vote.