Crosby elbows Nick Foligno in the face

Guest terp

The leagues whiner in chief suckers Nick Foligno with an elbow to the face:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/26/nick-foligno-not-a-big-fan-of-sidney-crosbys-elbows/

He just spent the last 9 months talking about taking head shots out of the game and he does this in his 2nd game back? This is the league's poster boy and ambassador the public? He's a dick.

http://prohockeytalk...crosbys-elbows/

He just spent the last 9 months talking about taking head shots out of the game and he does this in his 2nd game back? This is the league's poster boy and ambassador the public? He's a dick.

this is a good opportunity for the league to show that they don't play favorites and will look at EVERYTHING and give out suspensions equally across the board. I'm of the thought that nothing will come of this though.

So much for giving the guy his due respect. I actually felt bad for him the off season. You can't talk out of both side of your mouth and still expect respect.

@Spinorama

Unfortunately, there is no supplemental discipline for world class hypocrisy. Had he been on the receiving end of that elbow, he, Bylsma and everyone else in the Pens organization would have been condemning the other player and going on and on about protecting players, the seeming lack of professional respect among players and the need to legislate dirty hits and head shots out of the game blah blah blah. And the press would have been all over it, because it was Crosby taking the hit. But since it was Crosby putting the elbow up high, the press didn't care and both Bylsma and Crosby get a pass on blatant hypocrisy.

It is also obvious that anything comes out of his mouth regarding head shots is pure, unadulterated, self serving bullshit. He thinks a different set of rules apply to him so he has no credibility on the issue.

@ terp, 87 put a couple decent cross checks together there too, the elbow (from watching the replay) was high, but to me it was in the course of already cheating with the cross checks and jockeying for position, he didn't line foligno up for 4 strides and smashing him with it... it's a physical game that one got away from him...

i do agree though that he if he wants to play the game hard in the areas of the ice where that **** happens, then he needs to protect himself and not get bitchy when he gets clocked. and if he's worried about his brain's health then he needs to adjust his game and become more of a perimeter player. jeff carter could give lessons.

<< 87 put a couple decent cross checks together there too, the elbow (from watching the replay) was high, but to me it was in the course of already cheating with the cross checks and jockeying for position, he didn't line Foligno up for 4 strides and smashing him with it... it's a physical game that one got away from him... >>

That's a pretty good account of that incident. The comments made by the Sens' GM were way overblown. Foligno was running Fleury all game and I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he inadvertently "fell" over Fleury. Props to Crosby for mixing it up to protect his netminder...and he did get the 2:00.

Props to Crosby for mixing it up to protect his netminder...and he did get the 2:00.

He would get props from me for sticking up for his goaltender if he had done it without resorting to a blow to the opponent's head. He thought Foligno ran his goaltender. Fine. Face wash Foligno; trip him, cross check him. Fight him even. But don't hit him in the head after you just spent 9 months complaining about head shots. Also, Crosby had better damn well not whine the next time someone puts a gratuitous, non injury causing lick on his head.

<< He thought Foligno ran his goaltender. Fine. Face wash Foligno; trip him, cross check him. Fight him even. But don't hit him in the head after you just spent 9 months complaining about head shots. Also, Crosby had better damn well not whine the next time someone puts a gratuitous, non injury causing lick on his head. >>

I agree that he should have been less careless with the elbow...no problem with him throwing it at all. Just swing lower. This wasn't an isolated incident where Crosby "thought" Foligno was running Fleury. Foligno was doing it all night so retaliation was in order and the comparable retaliation is more than just a facewash or cross-check. If players are to police themselves, this is how it is done. The elbow seemed more careless than intentional. I don't think it was a suspendable offense but would have had no issue with a small fine like the $2,500 Neal got for a high stick a game later even though incidents like that elbow happen all the time and usually only result in the 2:00 Crosby got. He (Crosby) has already absorbed a few punches in scrums. Hasn't complained about it...just mentioned it when asked. My impression is that he doesn't have an issue with that kind of thing...if he did, he wouldn't stray into those post-whistle scrums around the net. So to address your point...he has taken a "gratuitous, non-injury causing lick to his head" and didn't have a problem with it.

Was Crosby surprised he got a penalty? Did he threaten to tell on the referee to Bettman? He certainly got away with some vicious crosschecks. The elbow looked very intentional. Kunitz should have gotten a rouging minor for being the third man involved. Sidney wants to start it, she should be allowed forced to finish it.

<< Was Crosby surprised he got a penalty? >>

Nope.

<< He certainly got away with some vicious crosschecks. >>

Seen worse go unpenalized. Foligno got away with a lot more...before that scrum and earlier in the game..as far as running Fleury.

<< Kunitz should have gotten a rouging minor for being the third man involved. >>

Right...because no one EVER joins the scrums. Check the rules (I enhanced the important part for you)...

46.16 Third Man In - A game misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who is the first to intervene (third man in) in an altercation already in progress except when a match penalty is being imposed in the original altercation. This penalty is in addition to any other penalties incurred in the same incident.

This rule also applies to subsequent players who elect to intervene in the same or other altercations during the same stoppage of play.

Generally, this rule is applied when a fight occurs.

http://prohockeytalk...crosbys-elbows/

He just spent the last 9 months talking about taking head shots out of the game and he does this in his 2nd game back? This is the league's poster boy and ambassador the public? He's a D!ck.

I waited to reply to this and the media coverage is sickening. ESPN covers it like Crosby is valiant for getting physical after coming back from the long layoff. Of course had it been the other way around, Foligno would have been suspended and sharply criticized all over the hockey world. Sorry but you live and die by the sword.

The league needs to send a clear message and that is that head shots will not be tolerated regardless of who the player is. I am just thankful it wasn't Crosby who got elbowed as we would have to listen to Mario cry to the media for weeks about it.

Sorry but you live and die by the sword.

I have to assume it isn't just annoyed fans like us who think he's a D!ck. His peers don't say much but I'm sure they note the hypocrisy.

Edited by terp

<< Kunitz should have gotten a rouging minor for being the third man involved. >>

I didn't say he should have gotten a penalty for "Third Man in" I said he should have gotten a rouging penalty, since he was the third guy and it was a D!ck move. Is there a penalty in the books for being a D!ck? There should be.

If someone starts with Crosby, I have no problem with Kunitz defending his guy. But Crosby started it, and should defend his own manhood. That's how it works were I come from.

Is there a penalty in the books for being a D!ck?

Not sure if you noticed but on this forum, everyone who is a D!ck is a D!ck with a capital "D". It would be nice if we could give out lower case "D!ck" status because not everyone is as big a D!ck as Crosby. We either need to get this fixed or start calling him a "D!ck" (all caps).

Edited by terp

• 2 weeks later...