*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM WINS 4-1) ***

EDM vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. North vs South. Blue vs. Red. Oil vs Fire. You choose!

• 1-- Oilers in 4. Connor and Co. dose the Flames with the quickness of a January blizzard!
    • 2-- Oilers in 5. Cgy finds out that Edm is no Dallas when it comes to offense and fizzle under siege.
    • 3-- Oilers in 6. Very competitive series that sees both teams impose their will, but EDM still proves too much.
    • 4-- Oilers in 7. Classic series where the star power of the Oilers and their young 40 yr old netminder prove the difference
    • 5-- Flames in 4. Calgary burns the Oil, as Edm can't withstand the heat!
    • 6-- Flames in 5. Jacob Markstrom and the Flames make Mike Smith look like he's 50, and the Oil look like their WHL counterparts
    • 7-- Flames in 6. Very good series, but Calgary's overall team depth proves superior
    • 8-- Flames in 7. Epic roller coaster battle, but the Flames are just not gonna be denied their West Finals berth.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, FireDillabaugh said:

Saying it didn't look bad.  Like Lucic actually pulled up on the hit.  No comment at all from him about the shoulder to the head, of course.

Ohhhh. Yeah, that's an incredibly bad take.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM Leads 2-1)
1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

They best expect MUCH better play and push from Calgary for Game 4.

I think so, too.

Look, I think the Flames have a better and deeper team, but since the coaching change, the Oilers and Flames had the exact same number of points. The way some people were talking, the Oilers didn't have a ghost of a chance. As ever, there's a reason they actually make them play the games.

Just now, FireDillabaugh said:

So he was wearing his mask?  How would they know otherwise?  hmm...  lol

Good point.
Then again, could have been 5 different guys when he wrestled too! :shifty: 

BTW, I am NO wrestling major. But my husband is, so whatever I know about big burly men in tights I attribute to him 😄

Just now, JR Ewing said:

I think so, too.

Look, I think the Flames have a better and deeper team, but since the coaching change, the Oilers and Flames had the exact same number of points. The way some people were talking, the Oilers didn't have a ghost of a chance. As ever, there's a reason they actually make them play the games.

Going into this series, I too felt the Flames were the overall better team...at least on paper. 
Even figured, if they met the Avalanche, I'd go Flames over Avs.

But I picked the Oilers to win this series (and I still might be wrong!), because it is just very difficult for me to simply discount having two of the most elite players in the league on the same team.

Throw in some other guys like Kane and Smith, who, when in their right minds, can play as well as anyone, and I could see an upset here.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the Nyquil the Dallas Stars served the Flames was still having an effect on them and they just weren't quite ready for the kind of jump the Oilers have shown.

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Rofl.  So very true!!

Not a fan either.  Just know the name and the legend that he's never been unmasked.  Called selfish and unwilling by many "U.S. wrestlers".  And I believe his response to those accusations was that "U.S. Wrestlers" care more about their image than their ability and skills.

Gotta respect the guy for telling the honest truth.  Lol.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Freprobatepress.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F09%2Fel-santo-2.jpg%3Fresize%3D680%252C510%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

This is El Santo. He was a huge star in Mexican wrestling; probably the biggest ever. His adherence to kayfabe (the practice of keeping the secrets of wrestling) was so strict that he left instructions (which were followed) that when he died, he was to be buried wearing his mask.

I’m going to make a prediction:  it doesn’t happen often but the NHL is going to rescind the game misconduct penalty on Lucic.

Here is my reasoning:

Smith was going to send the puck behind the net (probably a fake) then decided instead to put the puck in the corner to his left.  If he would’ve continued to send the puck behind the net ther wouldn’t have been any contact at all.  There was enough room for Lucic between Smith and the net for Lucic to get through.  When Smith changed his mind, Lucic tried to change his course but he was already committed.  You can see the snow spray from Lucic trying to stop.   Lucic’ s left skate clipped Smith’s skate that caused both players to lose their balance, Lucic going forward and Smith backwards.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming Smith for the contact. Yes, there was some shoulder to head contact, but not much, IMHO.  Smith lost his helmet when he fell but didn’t hit his head on the boards or the ice.  I don’t believe there was any intent by Lucic to even hit Smith let alone intent that would rise to a 5 min major and game misconduct.

I think two reasons they called it that way was first due to the over-reaction of the concussion spotter saying that Smith had to be evaluated. That fulfilled the “injury” part of the rule even though there really was no injury.  The second reason was to control the game without a slew of penalties the rest of the way.  

I think it should’ve only been a 2 min minor.

Kane's 2nd-period hat trick helps Oilers top Flames 4-1

ss_20220522_214830524_19748051388_defaul

0:56

Hats come flying onto the rink after Kane's third goal

Evander Kane completes the hat trick, much to the delight of the Edmonton faithful.

Updated: 4 hours ago

EDMONTON, Alberta -- — Evander Kane was without a team in January after having his contract terminated. He's now a crucial member of Edmonton’s playoff push.

Kane had three goals in a six-minute span in the second period, Leon Draisaitl set an NHL record with four assists in one playoff period and the Oilers defeated the Calgary Flames 4-1 on Sunday night to take a 2-1 lead in their second-round playoff series.

Kane signed with the Oilers in January, a few weeks after being waived by San Jose following a string of off-ice incidents.

“I’m just happy to be part of this group,” Kane said. “Just trying to do my part.”

Zach Hyman had the other goal for Edmonton and Connor McDavid had three more assists. Mike Smith, who was briefly replaced by Mikko Koskinen in the third period after getting run over by Milan Lucic, made 31 saves. Koskinen wasn’t forced to make a stop in just over four minutes.

McDavid now has 23 points (six goals, 17 assists) through 10 postseason games. The only players in NHL playoff history with more points in the same span are Wayne Gretzky (29 in 1983; 25 in 1985), Mario Lemieux (25 in 1992) and Rick Middleton (23 in 1983).

“He’s been on fire in the playoffs and has taken his game to the next level,” Kane said. “He’s not just doing it on the scoresheet. That’s what’s allowing him to really showcase his skill. He’s physical, he’s involved. A dominant force.”

Oliver Kylington scored the lone goal for Calgary. Jacob Markstrom allowed four goals on 34 shots before getting pulled for the Flames, who have been outscored 8-1 since taking a 3-1 lead in the second period of Game 2. Dan Vladar made seven saves in relief.

“We lose the second period 4-0,” Calgary defenseman Rasmus Andersson said. “We let one guy (McDavid) dominate.”

The Oilers will look to take a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven series Tuesday night at Edmonton.

In the first playoff meeting in Edmonton to feature the Oilers and Flames since April 14, 1991, the Oilers scored four goals in just over 12 minutes in the second period — including Kane’s second hat trick of the month.

Hyman opened the scoring 52 seconds into the period off a setup from Draisaitl and McDavid for his sixth goal of the postseason.

Kane scored his first of the night at 6:58 off a feed from Draisaitl.

Kane made it 3-0 just 53 seconds later after an impressive rush by McDavid after stepping past Calgary defenseman Noah Hanifin.

Kane completed his hat trick — the seventh-fastest in NHL postseason history — with his 10th goal of the playoffs at 12:58 on a 2-on-1 with McDavid.

The 30-year-old Kane is the third Edmonton player to score three straight goals in a postseason game, joining Gretzky (1983) and Petr Kilma (1991).

After his contract was voided by San Jose, Kane signed with his fourth NHL team despite questions about his past — from suspensions due to COVID-19 protocol violations, a bankruptcy and self-confessed gambling problems. There were also allegations of assault and domestic violence.

“I didn’t know Evander Kane at all,” said Edmonton interim head coach Jay Woodcroft, who replaced the fired Dave Tippett in February. “What I’ve learned is he is a hockey player with really, really good habits.

“There’s a reason why he finds success.”

Draisaitl’s fourth assist of the second period, meanwhile, set the playoff record for any period.

”He has been really good for our group,” Kane said. “Seems to find another level each and every night.”

Markstrom, who allowed 11 combined goals in Games 1 and 2 after posting a .941 save percentage in the opening round against the Dallas Stars, got the hook in favor of Vladar to start the third.

Lucic ran over Smith behind the Oilers’ net midway through the third to kick off a melee involving all 10 skaters. The Edmonton netminder was subsequently removed in favor of Koskinen, but returned shortly later.

Kylington got a consolation goal for the visitors — his first of the playoffs — with under five minutes to go.

“They have home-ice advantage right now. We’ve got to win one game here to get it back,” Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk said. “We could’ve lost 10-0 tonight. We could’ve lost 1-0 in overtime.

It’s the same result. We were in this position last series. It’s not that hard of a recipe to figure out here.

"We’ve just got to win one game and get the series tied and go back home.”

Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Evander Kane are going to do their thing in this series that is a given. What is going to make all the difference for the Edmonton Oilers in this series is the play of Mike Smith. Will he play like he played in last evening's game or like he played in game one. That will determine the success of the Oilers and if they will move onto the conference finals or not. 

18 minutes ago, Otter said:

Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Evander Kane are going to do their thing in this series that is a given.

The modern day Legion of Zoom!!!

Kane has earned him a nice pay day after this playoff run how ever far it takes them.

:PopcornSmiley2:

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It would be a mistake to count the Flames 🔥 out

It is the Battle of Alberta I don't think you have anything to worry about the Oilers over looking them Flames are down on the mat will the Oil be able to keep them there?

What happens when Oil and Flame get together? They quickly ignite. That is what I am seeing in this series. A series that is going to ignite to a game 7 and be extremely exciting. So far it has been a series that has had a ton of goals and also has exhibited some really good goalie play on certain nights. The play of Connor McDavid could spark an inferno at any time with the sort of moves he makes so you always have to look out for him. 

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It would be a mistake to count the Flames 🔥 out

I don't think anyone is really 'counting the Flames out' (we reserve counting teams out for the Blues :ph34r: ), but I believe that anyone who thought the Flames were gonna burn through THIS Oil with very little problems are now seeing that teams really DO have to win games on the ice sheet and not on paper or a stat screen.

Premature of course, as Calgary likely still has another gear or two they can shift into, but my 'upset special' is looking good so far here!  :) 

You know who the Flames miss out there? Sean Freakin Monahan, that's who! 🤠