Carle could have gotten us a first and second rounder

Guest RonJeremy

If Oduya is worth a second and 3rd and we gave up two second rounder plus for Grossman and Kubina, we easlily could have gotten a first and second for Carle. at the trade deadline people pay top dollar, if we try and deal Carle at the draft,we will be lucky to get a 3rd rounder. We blew it. We are out in the first round and have nothing to show when Carle walks

If no one offered fair value for him...

we'll never know what teams were offering or willing to part with...

maybe a missed opportunity, but maybe the offers weren't good enough.

maybe (but i doubt it) they're going to sign a contract extention after the season.

Edited by mojo1917

what kind of message would trading carle for picks send to the rest of the team? 'yah, sorry, we didnt think you were good enough. maybe next year'

sucks to lose a guy to free agency for nothing, but it would be far worse to risk disenchanting the rest of the team by trading a guy we all know we need to do any damage in the playoffs. still plenty of time for things to come together for this team. not likely to happen this year, but how did you feel about the flyers chances after barely squeaking in to the playoffs 2 years ago?

If Oduya is worth a second and 3rd and we gave up two second rounder plus for Grossman and Kubina, we easlily could have gotten a first and second for Carle. at the trade deadline people pay top dollar, if we try and deal Carle at the draft,we will be lucky to get a 3rd rounder. We blew it. We are out in the first round and have nothing to show when Carle walks

No way we get a 1st & a 2nd for Carle. No chance.

what kind of message would trading carle for picks send to the rest of the team? 'yah, sorry, we didnt think you were good enough. maybe next year'

sucks to lose a guy to free agency for nothing, but it would be far worse to risk disenchanting the rest of the team by trading a guy we all know we need to do any damage in the playoffs. still plenty of time for things to come together for this team. not likely to happen this year, but how did you feel about the flyers chances after barely squeaking in to the playoffs 2 years ago?

I slightly disagree. The Flyers just picked up 2 defensemen, so they are a little flush at that position. It could have also been a case of "musical chairs", with the pending free agent losing out.

And regardless, this team has looked pretty disenchanted for 2 full months. Its not like we would notice a difference!

No way we get a 1st & a 2nd for Carle. No chance.

Really? Gaustad got a first round pick in return for Buffalo, and he is a forward who usually gets fewer points than Carle gets on D. And Dmen go for a premium at the trade deadline.

We are out in the first round and have nothing to show when Carle walks

you must be amazing in vegas.

so, what do the rest of the playoffs look like? if you know by end of february how things will play out in april, let's hear it. who are the conf finalists? who plays for the cup? and the winner is?

i mean, because nothing unexpected ever happens in the stanley cup playoffs, break it down for us.

@aziz

I get your point, but do you honestly see this team (with inconsistent goaltending and inconsistent effort) making it to the Finals again? I think they will win a playoff series, but eventually lose to Boston, New York, or Pittsburgh.

It will piss me off intensely. But the future looks bright for this team though. It would have been nice to move Carle and get something in return for him.

@aziz, yes I am quite amazing, I wave my big wand and predict things. We have not been getting the goaltending all season, suddenly they are going to turn into Tretiak, we have a very young team, and our defense is still giving up way too many chances. Sure maybe we can win a round, but Im looking at the big picture. We are a few pieces away from being a top contender, giving up second rounders for bandaid solutions does not help us in the long run. There are no real prospects to speak of in Adirondack, and not much in the juniors either.We added 2 veteran bodies to our defense, so the smart thing would have been to trade Carle at the deadline while everyone was overpaying. He is not going to make that much of a difference for us. We could have gotten a first rounder and a prospect or a first and second rounder,especially when you see what lesser demen were being traded for.

Yoiu wont get anything near that if you try and trade him at the draft, and as far as the hometown discount, thats a crock, just like Leino was gonna stay ...Once some idiots offer Carle 5 million a year, he will be gone, and we will have nothng to show for it. Sometimes you have to take a step back, to take one forward. Holmgren revamped the offense ,on the fly, which no one thought possible. We need to do the same with the defense, we blew an oppurtunity by holding on to Carle, and we dumped 2 secons rounders in a deep draft. Dumping the picks for Kubina and Grossman, wouldnt be so bad if we turned Carle into a first and second, and then went after a top dman in the offseason.

Im just being realisitc, we do not have the experience, leadership, goaltending or defense to go that far this year

@Phillygrump

I get your point, but do you honestly see this team (with inconsistent goaltending and inconsistent effort) making it to the Finals again?

sure, why not? as always, who knows? did you see them going to the finals the year they did?

I think they will win a playoff series, but eventually lose to Boston, New York, or Pittsburgh.

unless fluery goes cold, gaborik gets hurt, Boston continues to struggle.... and all three are eliminated in the first round. who knows? we watch crazy **** happen every spring, how can you think it'll be straight forward and predictable this time?

@ RonJeremy

welcome to the nhl, where the playoffs are always a grab bag of random. anything at all can happen, including an 8 seed making the playoffs with a shoot out win in game 82, and then riding an ahl goalie to overtime of game 6 in the Stanley cup finals.

edit: game 6, sorry. at the hospital waiting for my brother's wife to have their first baby, a little distracted

Edited by aziz

Im just being realisitc, we do not have the experience, leadership, goaltending or defense to go that far this year

You're one fan, you're allowed to be realistic, or pessimistic (or optimistic) or whatever you want. But a GM has a responsibility to the entire fan base, not to mention the players currently on the team. The Flyers are a likely playoff team, and playoff teams don't become sellers just because they're not Cup favorites. That's not the message a GM wants to send to his team, and if simply getting playoff experience counts for anything, trading away one of your key players is not generally the smart thing to do. The ball is in Homer's court, if he really wants to keep Carle he can probably manage it. If he doesn't he's aware of the options or lack thereof after the season is over.

Personally I would like to see this team, as it is, play out the season and then we'll see what happens in the playoffs. If Bryzgalov gets his act together somewhat this team can certainly make it out of the first round.

Edited by JackStraw

@ RonJeremy

welcome to the nhl, where the playoffs are always a grab bag of random. anything at all can happen, including an 8 seed making the playoffs with a shoot out win in game 82, and then riding an ahl goalie to overtime of game 7 in the Stanley cup finals.

Nothing weird happens in the playoffs. The top seeds always win the Cup, right?

I mean, just look at all of those Stanley Cups that San Jose has won.

Gaustad and a 4th round pick got a 1st in return. Nashville over paid.

That still proves my point. If Nashville overpaid for a physical forward with a first round pick, it seems entirely reasonable that a team would overpay for a defenseman with an offensive upside with a firt and second round offer. that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

That still proves my point. If Nashville overpaid for a physical forward with a first round pick, it seems entirely reasonable that a team would overpay for a defenseman with an offensive upside with a firt and second round offer. that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Different teams are in different places. Nashville is trying to keep Weber and Suter by showing them they are willing to make big moves like bringing in Gaustad who is widely touted as exactly the type of player you want to bring in at the deadline.

A lfelong Sabre, he's had one deep playoff run. Wouldn't surprise me if he came back in the offseason.

I don't agree with Polie's decision, but that's the spin it's getting.

The Flyers simply weren't in that position and obviously didn't get an offer on Carle they wanted to take.

The last thing Homer wants to do is have questions on defense heading into the playoffs. Given the goaltending, doubly so.

unless fluery goes cold, gaborik gets hurt, Boston continues to struggle.... and all three are eliminated in the first round. who knows? we watch crazy **** happen every spring, how can you think it'll be straight forward and predictable this time?

That doesn't happen every year. The year we went to the Finals only one team Pittsburgh at the 4 seed was favored and made it out of the first round. That doesn't happen even year. I'm not banking on it, but sure anything is possible. So are you predicting this Flyers team is in the Finals again this year?

you're missing the point. i'm not predicting anything. and anyone that does is guessing, pure and simple.

I get your point. No one is psychic. No one knows anything because one time 3 of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs got eliminated and a 7 played an 8 in the ECF.

Of course they're guessing. No one knows till its over. But you can look at a team and make an educated guess based on their strengths and weaknesses and the fact that they have been beaten by NY and Boston all season save for one game.

So instead of picking apart my every word lurking on the fence, why not make a prediction of your own? Do you think this team is good enough to go back to the Finals? I get it anything can happen. Hell, the Mayan calendar could be right and we all just die, but I don't think that's going to happen either.

And no, on Feb 27th I did not think we were going to the Finals, but I did believe that the team had all the tools to do so. This year I do not believe they have the toughness or character to do it. I think even if Bryz tightens his game up they will lose to Boston or NY or Pittsburgh.

What's your guess?

Edited by Phillygrump

You're one fan, you're allowed to be realistic, or pessimistic (or optimistic) or whatever you want. But a GM has a responsibility to the entire fan base, not to mention the players currently on the team. The Flyers are a likely playoff team, and playoff teams don't become sellers just because they're not Cup favorites. That's not the message a GM wants to send to his team, and if simply getting playoff experience counts for anything, trading away one of your key players is not generally the smart thing to do. The ball is in Homer's court, if he really wants to keep Carle he can probably manage it. If he doesn't he's aware of the options or lack thereof after the season is over.

Personally I would like to see this team, as it is, play out the season and then we'll see what happens in the playoffs. If Bryzgalov gets his act together somewhat this team can certainly make it out of the first round.

I'm just glad Holmgren didn't repeat what he did last year with the Versteeg trade, and he's going to let this team play out the rest of the year as is. Hopefully they learn to play better team defense to limit the shots on Bryzgalov. Once the season is done and the CBA is settled then Holmgren can decide which way to go regarding the defense and if they should get rid of Bryzgalov. As for Carle, if he wants to stay in Philly then he will resign otherwise he will go where the money is.

So instead of picking apart my every word lurking on the fence, why not make a prediction of your own?

florida beats phoenix in 6.

Do you think this team is good enough to go back to the Finals?

absolutely. they have scoring out the wazoo, they allow the 8th fewest shots against per game, have the 6th best powerplay, and for all their youth, there is a ton of playoff experience on the roster. the weakspots are faceoffs, goaltending, and the penalty kill...and in my opinion, the penalty kill is a problem becuase the goaltending is a problem. and goaltending is 80% black magic. the fat guy working at the starbucks down the street from my office could get stupid hot and be a brick wall goalie for a few weeks. who knows, maybe bryzgalov channels his inner brian boucher circa spring of 2000 for a couple months. put that together with two months of intense work on faceoffs between now and early april, and i don't see any reason to cap their potential. i certainly don't see any motivation to cap my hopes, in any case.

likely? no. then again, no one is "likely" to win the cup. vegas isn't giving anyone better than 1:2 odds. any particular team is "likely" to come up short, by the odds. someone is gonna end up on the happy side of fate/luck/whatever and end up with rings. could be anyone. including the flyers.