Carle could have gotten us a first and second rounder

Guest RonJeremy

Pretty good article on the worth of Carle to the Flyers. Many Flyers fans don't see it this way. Read it with an open mind.

http://www.philly.co...ine-impact.html

I like this comment:

"Lets get rid of the ignorance and stop the "turnover machine' nonsense. Carle turns the puck over less than one time per game(45). He is 20th in the league in turnovers. Behind such crappy defenseman as John Carlson(74), Brett Burns(54), Zdeno Chara(52), Keith Yandle (65), and Drew Doughty (55). If you are going to spew ignorance at least get the facts. He also leads the team in blocked shots (top 20 in the league)by a pretty healthy margin. He also leads the team in ICE TIME basically playing with whoever is the replacement of the day. Leads the team in shifts taken and total even strength time on ice. He hasn't been paired with Pronger at all this season and most of last season due to Prongers injuries so saying his stats are a result of Pronger is just blatantly ignorant and wreaks of WIP brainwashing. The stats and facts don't lie. He hasn't been "exposed" in any way and whoever says he has knows nothing about hockey."

Good article. Myself and the sheep-molester have been making this argument for a whlie now, Carle is way better than most Flyers fans seem to think. I don't know where the hate comes from. And it's interesting to see that recently, some are now saying that he will be too expensive to keep, suggesting that they actually see that he's a good player but don't quite want to admit it.

As I've said before, the Flyers need someone with Carle's skills. If they lose him or trade him, it will be expensive to replace him.

And it's interesting to see that recently, some are now saying that he will be too expensive to keep, suggesting that they actually see that he's a good player but don't quite want to admit it.

Interestingly interesting. This is the problem with people who are full of crap but can't shut up: they are bound to contradict themselves eventually.

I hope we can keep Carle, but I'm under no illusions. If he listens to his agent and asks for too much, he'll be gone, like Leino. And he'll regret it too, as he counts his money playing in some crappy hockey backwater where fans don't care at all, much less too much.

Edited by Podein25

Aziz, don't forget that the team that's hot in January/February usually isn't the one that is hot entering the playoffs. Momentum in the NHL is such a fickle thing. It's why the playoffs are so hard to predict. If the Flyers get on a hot streak like they had in the first quarter of the season, look out.

Interestingly interesting. This is the problem with people who are full of crap but can't shut up: they are bound to contradict themselves eventually.

I hope we can keep Carle, but I'm under no illusions. If he listens to his agent and asks for too much, he'll be gone, like Leino. And he'll regret it too, as he counts his money playing in some crappy hockey backwater where fans don't care at all, much less too much.

I agree, but I think he's a different breed than Leino. At least Carle is saying the right things about staying:

"The general consensus is that hopefully something works out here," Carle said. "That's what my main focus is, wanting to be here. My wife [Clancey] and I love it here. Looking back on it, getting traded here [from Tampa Bay] was a huge blessing in disguise. This organization is a place where, no matter what, they're going to be making moves to be a contender. You want to be a part of an organization that is committed to that."

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-09/sports/31042226_1_trade-deadline-free-agent-frenzy-sign/2

I agree, but I think he's a different breed than Leino. At least Carle is saying the right things about staying:

"The general consensus is that hopefully something works out here," Carle said. "That's what my main focus is, wanting to be here. My wife [Clancey] and I love it here. Looking back on it, getting traded here [from Tampa Bay] was a huge blessing in disguise. This organization is a place where, no matter what, they're going to be making moves to be a contender. You want to be a part of an organization that is committed to that."

http://articles.phil...t-frenzy-sign/2

I think Leino was saying the "we'd like to stay" thing as well, with the added part that he played "good soldier" when they stopped negotiations midseason to let them pick up Versteeg. Then was left holding the bag.

Quite frankly, I think when Leino's people came to the Flyers with the Buffalo deal the Flyers said "take it!" and they would have been fools not to.

Carle may want to stay but when someone unloads $5.5M per and the Flyers counter with a little north of Coburn...?

Depends on the numbers, but IMO he'll take the better offer.

@aziz

As much as I would like to believe and hope the Rangers would not be up to snuff in the playoffs, I am afraid they will do very well. They have enough players who can score and Callahan is proving to be what we hoped Mike Richards would be: he hits, he scores timely goals, he passes… There is hardly anything he won’t do to win.

Their defense is surprisingly solid. I don’t get how they get it done with that group of people, but they shut teams down, somehow.

And of course, not surprisingly, that guy between the pipes is probably the best goalie in the NHL to date.

*And* they have a coach who knows how to win.

Like you said, playoffs is a different animal, but I just think that team will do very well in the playoffs. But I am hoping, of course, for the opposite.

Edited by Mad Dog

They have enough players who can score

i'm not sure who, really. i mean, the list of guys with at least 10 goals:

Marian Gaborik 29

Ryan Callahan 25

Brad Richards 18

Derek Stepan 13

Artem Anisimov 11

Carl Hagelin 11

that's it. 3 20 goal scorers by season's end.

that's real thin. is 3 "enough" players who can score to win a cup? what are they going to do if gaborik goes down? he's on his third healthy year in a row, so that's good (for the rags), but he hasn't dealt with more than 6 playoff games in any given year since 2003. (not to mention he has 7 points in 16 playoff games since then, not exactly mr postseason) i'm thinking he's high on the list for one of the inevitable playoff wear-and-tear injuries we see every year.

i'm not saying they aren't a great team, but the ZOMG RANGERZ thing we've heard recently is over the top, imo.

Edited by aziz

what are they going to do if gaborik goes down?

They are in trouble if that happens, of course. I mean I just can't see them surviving not haivng Gaborik at his 100%. So far they lucked out with him being reasonably healthy, and I am surprised he was.

But yeah, now that you've broken it down like that, clearly, they've been winning games because of Lundqvist The God. But why can't that carry over to the playoffs? Again, I hope it won't.........

but it's basically already over. toss the #3 dman now so we can get a pick that has a chance of being an NHL player in 4 or 5 years, because that's the best we can possibly hope for from this season. it isn't even march yet, they're comfortably above the playoff cut line, the most offensively potent team in the league, the current confrence leaders have had a couple wobbles recently

A few wobbles? Come on. We look like a non playoff team lately. We got shut out for the second time on this road trip and have suffered the same problems we've had all season. Weak goaltending and poor face-offs. We're not going to miraculously turn this around because the playoffs start.

stop acting like the NHL playoffs are so mechanical, so predictable with simple arithmetic based on numbers in february. i presume you've been around long enough to know damn well that isn't how it works. i do not understand how that lesson gets un-learned year after year after year.

Stop pretending that teams change their stripes once the puck drops in the playoffs. Why do you think that the Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Canucks, and Penguins are going to go topsy turvey once the playoffs start?

Edited by Phillygrump

@aziz stop acing like all the top teams will go into the tank come playoffs. I never said the Rangers will win the cup. I merely made observations of how consitent the Rangers have been ALL YEAR, not the last 2 months. My posts have been about how the Rangers have owned us and how well their defense is playing. You keep bring ing up how they cant score, well we cant stop anyone from scoring. In the end it comes down to wins and losses. The Rangers dont need to score alot, because they dont give up many goals. Sure they are in trouble if Gaborik or Callahan get hurt. Just like we are toast if anything happens to Timmonen.

Anyone can win the Cup as you said, but I dont see Bryzgalov suddenly turning into Ken Dryden, the man is psychologically defeated. He may need an off season to get his head on straight.

But why can't that carry over to the playoffs? Again, I hope it won't.........

oh, it absolutely could. or it might not. that was my point, the rangers are a flawed team, like all the others, and it isn't a forgone conclusion that they'll walk through the play offs. there are games to be played, challenges to be met, and "if"s to be navigated for everyone.

we have people here talking about teams with no weaknesses, unbeatable, not even worth trying. which is, IMO, about as sad as it gets. not to mention untrue.

• Like 1

We look like a non playoff team lately

neither have the Bruins. should they just roll over and let the inevitable failure come? or do you think they might just pull themselves together over the next six weeks?

it isn't even March, yet. and hey, bryzgalov actually looked pretty good last night. knock on some wood and try to enjoy the rest of the season, rather than campaigning about how bad your team is.

stop acing like all the top teams will go into the tank come playoffs

never said "will", I just pointed out there is plenty of precedent for regular season dominance meaning nothing in the playoffs, and the ranges have a weak spot that could be the seed of their undoing, could conceivably have them following that precedent.

I mean, this thread was started by someone crying that the flyers didn't give up on the season at the deadline, because they already knew exactly how the playoffs were gonna go. my point here has been: thats a bunch of crap and you people should know better.

@Phillygrump

I think the Penguins lack depth, their top talent is very very good but after Malkenstien and Stall, it's a pu-pu platter of Darrol Powe types...with their forwards and after Letang and a slow Brooks Orpik, not a whole lot to crow about on the blue line. Fleury has been struggling to find his game, they're not the chalk.

they're very beatable.

the broons are having the same trouble we are , they aren't very consistent , one night they're getting 5 the next night they're giving up 9 odd man rushes and scoring nil. if Thomas reverts to his career baseline play they are a good team but beatable, he needs to be voodoo awesome again and that just doesn't last for long unless your name is Roy or Broduer

it isn't even March, yet. and hey, bryzgalov actually looked pretty good last night. knock on some wood and try to enjoy the rest of the season, rather than campaigning about how bad your team is.

He did look pretty good. Still the soft goal beat us, but otherwise he looked good. I'm not campaigning about how bad my team is. I'm just being realistic about their chances.

He did look pretty good. Still the soft goal beat us, but otherwise he looked good. I'm not campaigning about how bad my team is. I'm just being realistic about their chances

yeah, it wasn't a great goal... but it was a nice set up from thornton. all in all, I thought last night was a good game. didn't like the result, but it was a war between two (imo) good teams.

realistic? maybe. guess I don't see the point. given that anything ¤ can¤ happen, why focus on how unlikely it is? it isn't over until your team has lost 4 of 7, why assume things until that happens?

sorry for getting a bit aggro. there's a tendency to dwell on the negative in the Philly fan base that drives me a little crazy, sometimes.

neither have the Bruins. should they just roll over and let the inevitable failure come? or do you think they might just pull themselves together over the next six weeks?

2 years ago the Bruins were trying to unload Tim Thomas and couldn't find a taker.

Last year? That same guy carries them to the Cup.

The Rangers? They have not exactly been a perrenial powerhouse the last few years. But this season they seem to have their heads on straight, so suddenly Tortorella is a genius coach again???

I like that the Flyers didn't make any panic moves to trade the kids. And I'm OK with letting Bryz figure it out.

G needs to find his A-game again. And hopefully Briere turns into his usual self once the playoffs roll around.

We lead the NHL in scoring, and there are no shoot-outs in the playoffs. We have a shot. (And this wasn't supposed to be a contending year - this was a rebuild.)

Standing Pat is great for now, but no one seems to be addressing the fact that in spite of adding 2 dmen, the guys we added are 3rd pairing guys. No one is thinking about how do we replace Pronger, and Timmo is wearing down and has one year left. So that leaves us without a number one and two dman in the very near future, and those kind of guys dont grow on trees. So viaFA or a trade will have to make a move. Pronger is virtually irreplaceable, the closest to his skill set is Webber, and getting him is a long shot. The price for Suter will be very high, so we may have no alternative but to trade a guy like JVR for an equally talented young dman.

The thing the Bruins and Rangers have on us is defense and goaltending, there is not much we can do with the goaltending, but we can surely make some deals to improve the D. o matter what Holmgren or anyone else says, there is no way he is satisfied with our group of defensemen. He will do something in the offseason