Well, we're stuck with this

Guest Phillygrump

I was really hoping to move Carle. I don't really like the team we have going forward. I like things about it like its youth and its fun to watch them score, but this team seems to have poor character and lack toughness and desire.

This is what we're stuck with for this postseason push. Subpar goaltending and questionable leadership.

I hope they can find something and make a playoff run. I thought they could've replenished their picks or something.

Yep, for better or worse, this is what we have and this is the group that will have to fight through the rest of the season and the playoffs.

I am sure Homer tried to improve the team, but I guess what other teams offered was outrageous. I will say the D with an addition of Grossman and Kubina has improved. Health permitting, this is not a bad team and clearly - I don't think there is much of a disagreement - the goaltending is the team's Achilles’ hill once again, like it always has been since Hexy stopped playing.

Let's just see what this group can do.

Edited by Mad Dog

i am fine that this group of players will remain intact.

there are few players out there who were a. available and b. make us better.

i reckon no one wanted a .860 % goaltender for 9 years .. sheesh.

Edited by mojo1917

the goaltending is the team's Achilles’ hill once again, like it always has been since Hexy stopped playing.

Heck it was the Achilles' Heel back then too.

As much as I love the fire, the fight and the energy Hexy brought to every game, he was nearly as maddening as anyone else we've ever had...well except for you-know-who, Mr Small I call him - the guy suiting up for us now (though I'm sure i didn't need to tell you who i meant :)

[edit: re: the OP - "stuck?" I'd say we're about 10-15 wins ahead of where I thought we'd be after losing Richards and Carter and Leino. Versteeg I had my doubt about all along. But things have gone about as upside-down as possible. We were going to be a low-scoring, good defensive team with solid goaltending. As it is we're a high-scoring team with decent Team D (esp now) and the absolute worst goaltending in the NHL, AHL and any other League you'd care to name]

Edited by canoli

I like Shenn more then JVR, JVR is lazy, afraid to go in corners, he is like Cater. Shenn is powerful player, he should develop even more, it's good thing Flyers have Jagr, youth is looking at him and learning a lot, I hope Jagr be able to play one more year.

So I'm thinking flyers will trade JVR at July time for pick or defenseman.

Heck it was the Achilles' Heel back then too.

As much as I love the fire, the fight and the energy Hexy brought to every game, he was nearly as maddening as anyone else we've ever had...well except for you-know-who, Mr Small I call him - the guy suiting up for us now (though I'm sure i didn't need to tell you who i meant :)

I hear you. Personally, I always thought Hexy was way overrated by people here, in Philadelphia. I will never forgive him those 60 footers and just flat out disgraceful performance against Detroit in '96. Granted, the Flyers didn't stand a chance in that series, but the goaltending flat out sucked. Hexy could've made it at least a semi-competitive series, but instead, he only made it easier for the Wings to win.

I really begin to wonder if the Flyers will *ever* get this right and address this position.

Answer: Never.

If they win ever, that's more likely other team sucked really bad.

Personally, I don't think the Flyers win a cup ever, but it's fun to watch, because they are built every year a good team.

mini_google.pngcleardot.gif

Original Text:

Show alternative translations

Answer: Never.

If they win ever, that's more likely other team sucked really bad.

Personally, I don't think the Flyers win a cup ever, but it's fun to watch, because they are built every year a good team.

mini_google.pngcleardot.gif

Original Text:

Show alternative translations

Why? Like you said, they compete every year, they spend money, they commit to going for it every year, they have done it before, they have been back to the Finals since, they came a bad goal away from a game 7 Finals again.

This goalie of our sucks this season. He's not absolutely going to be here forever playing this poorly. Don't feel so bad. This year isn't the year, but so what? Build the team and then make a run next year or in two years. In the meantime enjoy the playoffs and watching your team get extra hockey every year.

I really begin to wonder if the Flyers will *ever* get this right and address this position.

That is the 51-million-dollar question isn't it? I don't know but I think maybe we're screwed... for a long time...Unless...

Some are saying the buyout clause will have to go to Pronger's contract but I think it has to be used for Bryzgalov.

Bryzgalov will probably start playing better eventually (because there is no "worse") but so what? How good will that be? Let's face it he choked - twice - when the going got rough in Phoenix (POs). We all know he can't handle the hockey life in Philly. Is there anyone left who believes he'll carry us to a Stanley Cup? Of course not.

Comcast and the Flyers' brass have asked themselves that question too...so hopefully Ed and Co. use the buyout clause for Bryzgalov and deal with Pronger on LTIR. Comcast wants PO money, they count on it every year and not just 1 measly round (if we're lucky). They're staring at 8 more seasons maybe missing the POs. I'm confident they'll see it as a business decision and cut their losses ASAP. I'd be willing to bet the numbers say "buy him out" too - versus possibly no PO revenue.

Then...if I had my way...we name Bob our starter for the 201-13 season and see what he's got ..without the poison Bryzgalov is breathing all over him this year. :)

Then...if I had my way...we name Bob our starter for the 201-13 season and see what he's got ..without the poison Bryzgalov is breathing all over him this year. :)

That's what I feel they *should* do. Simply put, Bob has never gotten a fair shot. The Flyers simply decided not to be patient with him. They made a concious decision not to be. He had a rookie season as a #1, in which, I thought, he faired quite well. He didn't set the world on fire, but at teh very least, he showed there is something to work with. And this season is impossible to evaluate him because he had a job of a back-up, which always makes it hard to judge your goalies performance on.

Maybe Bob will never become Tim Thamos. Maybe he is a perennial stiff and is destined to suck for years. Maybe.

Or maybe he would be at least as good as Kiprusoff. Or Chris Osgood, who, with a help of a deep team, won several cups.

But what we do know - or at least farily certain of - is that Bryzgalov is just not a winner. I completely echo your sentiment: he may play better. In fact, I am sure he will. But that "better" will never be good enough to help the team win it all. He has demonsrated it over and over again that he is just not a winner. He can't stand pressure. He wilted under pressure in Phoenix and he clearly can't handle the high expectations in Philadelphia. He uses bad jokes and being a clown as a shield to protect himslef from pressure instead of mobilzing his strength of will and focus.

Again, he may surprise us and have a phenominal performance in the playoffs to the point where it becomes a performance for people to remeber and talk about for years.

The chances of that happening?

Correct... :ph34r:

Edited by Mad Dog

I was really hoping to move Carle. I don't really like the team we have going forward. I like things about it like its youth and its fun to watch them score, but this team seems to have poor character and lack toughness and desire.

This is what we're stuck with for this postseason push. Subpar goaltending and questionable leadership.

I hope they can find something and make a playoff run. I thought they could've replenished their picks or something.

There was no chance anybody we bring in would send us over the hump. Deadline acquisitions are a fools game, the players usually have very little impact on the team's overall success. The minor moves to plug in for injured players (or in our case in-experienced rookies) are usually the most worthwhile. The one area of concern was goaltending, but there is no way a goalie was coming to Philly, Bryz's problem isn't lack of talent, it is complete lack of confidence. This ship sails or sinks in the playoffs solely based on if Bryz can step his game up. I am a huge Bobs fan but they need to ride Bryz and hope/pray he get's his groove back or we'll be out in the 1st round. A potent offense is a great thing to have but it is near impossible to consistently put up 4 goals in the playoffs. The offense and defense can protect the net all night but if Bryz lets in the 1-2 softies (ok sometimes 3+) a night then we have no shot. If he shows up every night come playoff time I have all the confidence in the world that this team can win the Stanley Cup.

If he shows up every night come playoff time.

Unfortunately that's all he does is "show up." Frankly he doesn't belong in an NHL net any more than I do. (but I know what you meant)

Anyway I agree with you - if Bryzgalov can play well - and I mean really play well,not "compared to what he usually gives up" then I certainly think the Flyers can win the Cup this year. There aren't any weaknesses unique to the Flyers other than the spectacularly bad goaltending we've had - which is pretty amazing considering how many rookies play big minutes for us - even now, after Kubina and Grossman took over MAB and Gus's spots.

If the goaltending [somehow] becomes NHL-level in time there's no reason we can't compete for the Cup this spring.

Why? Like you said, they compete every year, they spend money, they commit to going for it every year, they have done it before, they have been back to the Finals since, they came a bad goal away from a game 7 Finals again.

This goalie of our sucks this season. He's not absolutely going to be here forever playing this poorly. Don't feel so bad. This year isn't the year, but so what? Build the team and then make a run next year or in two years. In the meantime enjoy the playoffs and watching your team get extra hockey every year.

Why? That's simple . I think Snider is wanted to win every year, but he has two wins to collect one - is cup, but more important one -is money. He can't promise to fans every year to win a cup after actually winning a cup, but he has to sell tickets and accesories. I think I have crazy idea, but that is how looked like.

May be it's too much hockey I watched for last 12 years, so may be I need to take a break.

Why? That's simple . I think Snider is wanted to win every year, but he has two wins to collect one - is cup, but more important one -is money. He can't promise to fans every year to win a cup after actually winning a cup, but he has to sell tickets and accesories. I think I have crazy idea, but that is how looked like.

May be it's too much hockey I watched for last 12 years, so may be I need to take a break.

Woooof.... I wish I could have a clue what you were trying to say.

That's what I feel they *should* do. Simply put, Bob has never gotten a fair shot. The Flyers simply decided not to be patient with him. They made a concious decision not to be. He had a rookie season as a #1, in which, I thought, he faired quite well. He didn't set the world on fire, but at teh very least, he showed there is something to work with. And this season is impossible to evaluate him because he had a job of a back-up, which always makes it hard to judge your goalies performance on.

Maybe Bob will never become Tim Thamos. Maybe he is a perennial stiff and is destined to suck for years. Maybe.

Or maybe he would be at least as good as Kiprusoff. Or Chris Osgood, who, with a help of a deep team, won several cups.

But what we do know - or at least farily certain of - is that Bryzgalov is just not a winner. I completely echo your sentiment: he may play better. In fact, I am sure he will. But that "better" will never be good enough to help the team win it all. He has demonsrated it over and over again that he is just not a winner. He can't stand pressure. He wilted under pressure in Phoenix and he clearly can't handle the high expectations in Philadelphia. He uses bad jokes and being a clown as a shield to protect himslef from pressure instead of mobilzing his strength of will and focus.

Again, he may surprise us and have a phenominal performance in the playoffs to the point where it becomes a performance for people to remeber and talk about for years.

The chances of that happening?

Correct... :ph34r:

Right now for me the only way Bryzgalov redeems himself and justifies his contract is by having a phenominal performance in the playoffs. And if the Flyers fall short in the playoffs and there is a buyout clause in the next CBA where teams can buyout one contract that won't count against the cap then it has to be Bryzgalov's contract. With Pronger the Flyers can put him on LTIR like they did with Rathje and use his cap space elsewhere. But Holmgren has to get into the habit of at least having one or two contracts available against the team's 50 contract limit going forward instead of being up against the limit before going into the trade deadline. I'd like to see Silent Bob get a fair shot in goal but that will probably not happen. If they are going to trade JVR, I hope he's part of a package to get Shea Weber out of Nashville (probably wishful thinking on my part). But I'm going to enjoy the playoffs and see what happens with this team.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Illflyaway, February 29, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Illflyaway, February 29, 2012 - No reason given
Woooof.... I wish I could have a clue what you were trying to say.

Same here. And they're gonna be running the space program for NASA soon. Shudder.

Edited by Illflyaway

Hahaha! Was about to post the same thing. Either English is Mad Dog's fourth language or he is a full bottle deep trying to post something intelligible.

You meant to say phlfly. But I forgive you. ;)

In phlfly's defense, English is his second (or maybe even third) language. He tries to communicate (I hope he *does* try). But every time I try to read his posts - and I don't mean to say this with derision or disrespect - my head literally hurts. I want to communicate with him, but I only can understand about 50% of what he tries to say.

Edited by Mad Dog

translation: Snider is in a tough spot because he's promised the fans he's "going for it" every year - Cup or Bust. But he's also beholden to the owners at Comcast who think in terms of revenue and the bottom-line on the ledger. He can't reasonably tell his prize FA acquisition to ride the pine for the next 8 years, but he hates watching him lose games for the Flyers night after night. So...he's in a tough position.

Well I was winging it - that's what I got out of it anyway.