Darcy Gets it Done!

Guest Pegulaville26

I really think Cody Hodgson can be the #1 star center the Sabres have longed for. All he needs are talented players around him. Having said that, I believe the Canucks won this trade in the long term. I've been adament from the start, Kassian will be a star. In 3 years he will be putting up Lucic numbers and he's every bit as tough....in other words, the kind of power forward that exist's on about 5 or 6 teams in the league. Add in the young physical Gragnani, who very well could become one of the better 3-4 shutdown guys in the leauge....I like the long term return Vancouver got, The days of finger pointing at the Sedin's will soon be over....ended by the fist of Kassian. The one downfall of Kass is the skating.....it has to improve if he is to become elite. He has gotten better since his Windsor days, but still needs work in that department. Don't know anything about Sulzer, so my take might be a bit screwed up...if he is substantial, it's a lot more even.

Anyways, I see a 80 point center (minimum) in Cody....but I see a 30 goal 30 assist madman in Kassian, who will punch out 97% of the league. I really Gragnani.....but not sure how old he is right now.

I don't for the life of me understand the Gaustad trade....a first rounder for him is OUTRIGHT highway robbery. I can only assume the market for grinders who add a tad of offense dried up to the point the Preds were desperate. This deal is outrageous. Gaustad is a gritty hard worker, nothing more....a dime a dozen player.....wow, ....just....wow. I'd much rather have Steve Ott for a first rounder....but he's not worth that either. What is the matter with the Preds???

Edit....ok, just read that Gaustad has 98 hits and 40 blocked shots this season....this really ups his overall value, still not worth a 1st rounder in my eyes...but it's not all about points, Gaustad is the type of guy you need on the 3rd and 4th lines to go far in the playoffs. I'm mildly surprised by his hit total. I also didn't know he was top 10 last year in the NHL in face off wins. When you're checking line center is winning face offs, he can play against the top pp late in the game and you get some much needed puck possession late in the game....a big advantage....ok, this makes a *bit* more sense now.

Edited by jammer2

I think Goose will be loved in Nashville but isn't near worth a 1st rd pick. Kassian can be a stud and physical. However I say this to all Nucks fans Be careful don't let the past juniors career get in ur head. Kassian was nothing like that physical and mean player we saw in juniors. He had good numbers in Rochester and got in 1 fight in his nhl career. I think he will be good but the coaching staff has to get him back to his old form maybe a new team will bring it out in him. Overall I think both teams win in that trade.

I have to imagine Hodgson is going to get a chance between Vanek and Pominville at some point, which is as good as it's going to get for them. I can't believe Darcy got a 1 for Gaustad+4.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville

Leino-Roy-Stafford

That's not too too shabby. Or some mix thereof. It puts Leino back on the wing where he belongs.

If this team finds it's wheels (six points out with 20 to play, two in hand on the 8 seed with Washington and Tampa in the way) they could still sneak into a first round debacle against the Rangers. They'd need to outright win at least 12 and probably more, IMO.

Clear $7.5M on Hecht and Boyes in the offseason. Have the same defense next year with a year experience together.

What's up with Adam and can/should he replace Roy on the second line next season? Would he be good as a 3 given his size?

Would it surprise you to see Gaustad back in the postseason? Especially if Nashville disappoints? I always got the impression he liked Buffalo.

@radoran Adam was sent back down to Rochester, he was in Lindy Ruff's dog house and has dropped off. He may find his way back up before the season ends. Actually the #2 center on this team right now is Tyler Ennis. He has been playing like a #1 center since his return from injury. I expect to see Vanek Hodgson Pominville, Leino Ennis Stafford, and Gerbe Roy Kaleta. Good depth through the middle now. Only issue is all the centers are on the small side. In regards to Gaustad coming back I think it is very possible. Regier said he had a discussion with Gaustad and his agent a week ago. The rumor floating around is Regier let them know that if a trade is made that he would like to have discussions on July 1. So I think it's possible he comes back, but at the right price. He would slot back in at a # 3 or 4 center.

@radoran Adam was sent back down to Rochester, he was in Lindy Ruff's dog house and has dropped off. He may find his way back up before the season ends. Actually the #2 center on this team right now is Tyler Ennis. He has been playing like a #1 center since his return from injury. I expect to see Vanek Hodgson Pominville, Leino Ennis Stafford, and Gerbe Roy Kaleta. Good depth through the middle now. Only issue is all the centers are on the small side. In regards to Gaustad coming back I think it is very possible. Regier said he had a discussion with Gaustad and his agent a week ago. The rumor floating around is Regier let them know that if a trade is made that he would like to have discussions on July 1. So I think it's possible he comes back, but at the right price. He would slot back in at a # 3 or 4 center.

I knew Adam was sent down (why I said next season). But he started off well before getting into the doghouse. I don't mind much of Ruff's approach, but his tendency to cut off his nose to spite his face is evident on occasion.

I did forget about Ennis a little. Probably because he is little (lol). My predilection for being "big down the middle" showing itself a bit.

They have a nice top two lines and some good defense in front of Miller. They should be able to pick up a nice forward in the offseason.

With this group, regardless if they make a run at the playoffs this season they definitely need to be in it next season or look for some changes behind the bench and in the front office.

I knew Adam was sent down (why I said next season). But he started off well before getting into the doghouse. I don't mind much of Ruff's approach, but his tendency to cut off his nose to spite his face is evident on occasion.

I did forget about Ennis a little. Probably because he is little (lol). My predilection for being "big down the middle" showing itself a bit.

They have a nice top two lines and some good defense in front of Miller. They should be able to pick up a nice forward in the offseason.

With this group, regardless if they make a run at the playoffs this season they definitely need to be in it next season or look for some changes behind the bench and in the front office.

Adam will be back next year in Roy's spot I believe. I think Ruff kind of overreacted pulling Adam off the Vanek and Pominville line so quickly and he never got him back to the level he started the season at. The thing that could be a overshadowed here is how stacked the Sabres are for the draft. They 2 first rd picks and 2 2nd round picks and Derek Roy to play with. Regier may have put a package together he could use to move up in the draft to get one of those bigger top center Grigorenko or Galchenyuk.

Darcy robbed Nashville blind. I like Paul and wish him the best. But I am shocked they got a first rounder for him. Great work by Darcy. And the Hodgson deal was a win for us too. Kassian will be good. Maybe even great. But Hodgson already is!! He was cheered when he took the ice in Vancouver. Darcy is showing everyone how good a GM he is and how wrong many at the Buffalo News were.