What does Montreal need to take the next step?

Guest habsguy26

Just a short little blog to get things started here. My name is habsguy26. Obviously, this is my first blog here on hockeyblogs.net, but I've been blogging on hockeybuzz.com for the past 2 years under the alias 'habsteen26' and I think I've gotten pretty good. My blogging style incorporates my opinions and facts. I usually spend hours on end researching for most of my blogs and that's something I take pride in. Some of my blogs will simply be a question, that I will answer in the blog, and ask for your comments and opinions on said subject. So, when I seen that nobody has yet to create a Habs themed topic on this website, it is with great pleasure that I am the first!!!!

So.... What do the Montreal Canadiens need in order to take the next step?

Let's go through this with trial and error.

1) A new coach?

A) Natta. Martin is a very proven and well respected coach in the National Hockey League. The players seem to enjoy playing for him and he seems to enjoy coaching the players. And its not like he hasn't won anything in Montreal: He lead the Habs through a story book play off run a few years back and were finally ousted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the Easter Conference Final. Next.

2) An enforcer?

A) Maybe. How many times have we lost games to Boston because we got pushed around? We had Laraque, but he was more useless than the white crayon. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Habs need to acquire George Parros from The Anaheim Ducks. It's not like he would be difficult to obtain (likely a low draft pick, 4th round at the highest, or a minor leaguer.) Also, the dude can play hockey. Sure, he only has 16 goals and 30 points in 378 games, but in those 378 games, his +/- is +11. That's pretty good for an enforcer last time I checked. He's one of the best fighters in the NHL, very respected league wide, good locker room guy, he has a degree from Princeton, AND, he has a sweet stache. What's not to love? Make it happen PG!!!

3) A top 3 scoring machine?

A) Since this is being proposed right now, I'm gonna say yes. But, if this was being asked two years down the road from now, I'd disagree completely. Right now, Cammalleri isn't quite cutting it. In his 151 games as a Hab, (including this season) he has only scored 50 goals and 108 points. Really, thats not all that bad, but its not what we expected when we handed him 30 million smackaroos a few years back. He needs to be better. So does Gionta. So does Gomez. Why would I disagree 2 years from now? One name: Brenden Gallagher. He will be the biggest scorer Montreal has seen since Mark Recchi. Max Pacioretty won't be bad either.

So, that does it for the premier blog of habsguy26. If you would like to share your opinion, don't be shy!!!

Happy Hockey,

Habsguy26

Twitter: allanrayer

Email: gohabsgo26@hotmail.com

Edited by Digityman

Welcome to the board! IMO, I think they need to get some beef up front...not just size, but skaters with size. I don't see them being able to handle the pounding thru the playoffs with their current crop of forwards. I may be wrong, since I don't see them a ton, just notice they seem to get beat on the boards when I watch them.

Can I ask a question without offending...is it THAT important in MTL that the coach be bi-lingual?? I've always thought that MTL limits themselves so much by mandating that as a requirement.

Thanks!

While I don't think its too important, it does make handling the INSANE Montreal media a lot easier. I was really hoping Muller would take over for Guy when he was fired but he isn't a french guy so I guess not... Carolina netted themselves one hell of a coach today.

@habsguy26

Good point..I didn't even think of the media angle. You are dead on about Muller. I read a lot of stuff today that said that Carolina was so high on him, they just felt like they had to make the change now, as he would have gotten snagged in the offseason.

Never in all my years of following hockey have i heard a better analogy than the one you used to describe Laraque..."more useless than a white crayon". With the direction that Bettman is steering hockey, people who are strictly enforcers are being penalized out of the game. Just the other night Jody Shelley got a 10 minute misconduct for trying to get someone to drop the gloves, he pushed a few people and looked at them mean and that was enough to get him put in a Bettman time out(misconduct for being Jody Shelley). The habs really do need to add some size to their lineup. The only real big guy you have on defense is Gill and the largest forwards are Darche and Moen weighing in at 215 who are solid enough guys but they seem to play on the smallish side when you compare them to other teams. The habs need someone with a mean streak who can actually play the game like Steve Downie. I pick Downie because he is not the biggest guy on the ice but he does hit like it. The same with Zac Rinaldo, a guy with decent skills and plays with an edge. A player of that style would help out the Habs immensely.

Welcome to the board habs guy. So far this is a prominently philly board but we actually like to talk hockey and not just smack. i hope you enjoy your stay.

@flyerrod

Thanks! That actually means alot!

I was thinking of Downine... but hey. The guy is 5'11 or something. Sure he is edgy, but not big enough. Parros is 6 foot something (too lazy right now to go find out) and is the perfect guy for the job! Wouldn't he look good in blue, white and red?? (then again, who doesn't?)

The Habs need a secondary threat to take some of the focus away from Cammalleri. If they happen to land a power forward, that works in their favor even better. Unfortunately for Montreal, power forwards don't exactly grow on trees.

@habs

Do you want Jody Shelley? He is a good lockerroom type guy. The Flyers don't need him and the fans don't want to watch him.

Skip Parros for a fourth round pick, take Shelley ........... for FREE!!!!!!!!!!

No thank you. Its excruciating watching Shelley drag his knuckles on the ice 2 minutes a game.

And I thought your remark about Laraque was good.......I think I have finally found my signature line if someone does not beat me to it......

Welcome habsguy!

My thoughts on the Habs: screw the "need" for an enforcer. Those guys sit in pressboxes (or at least should) or play 2 minutes a game. Their time has passed. I think the Habs need a couple players like Wayne Simmons, Ryan Callahan, and if lucky enough, Mike Richards. Now obviously, players like Mike Richards don't exactly grow on trees, but if they were fortunate enough to get a player of that style and calibre, well, I think the Habs would be far better off.

The main things holding the Habs back are:

1. Injuries to their D;

2. Lack of size and grit from their forwards;

3. Horrible contracts (see Gomez, Cammy, and Plekanec)

They have a world-class goalie in Price --- they need to build around him.