Tortorella interviewed for Flyers coach

@yave1964

The thought of Fonzi ripping into the Flyers beat writers is almost enough to persuade me to the idea he's the man for the job.

His teams play hard. You make a good point with the right guys like him, the right guys hate him...right up until Panarin and Dubois.

Maybe Artemi just wanted to go to NYC to hang out with his Russian mob buddies or something, but he's a talented guy that left the team at his first opportunity.  

Not sure what happened with Dubois he hasn't torn it up in the 'Peg. I don't follow his team or him so I don't know what his deal is, but when I saw him play for CBJ and Erie he looked damn good at hockey to me.

I would accept a team that plays hard, Torts would ice a team that would. 

I'm not into the whole coaching carousel of retreads.

I think I'd prefer Montgomery or Trotz if the team insists on an NHL resume.

I don't think there's enough good players to build with right now so I would prefer a project the whole way around. The guy from the Swedish national team Rikard Grὄnborg would come with no pressure to win now and could be an interesting addition to the NHL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@yave1964

The thought of Fonzi ripping into the Flyers beat writers is almost enough to persuade me to the idea he's the man for the job.

His teams play hard. You make a good point with the right guys like him, the right guys hate him...right up until Panarin and Dubois.

Maybe Artemi just wanted to go to NYC to hang out with his Russian mob buddies or something, but he's a talented guy that left the team at his first opportunity.  

Not sure what happened with Dubois he hasn't torn it up in the 'Peg. I don't follow his team or him so I don't know what his deal is, but when I saw him play for CBJ and Erie he looked damn good at hockey to me.

I would accept a team that plays hard, Torts would ice a team that would. 

I'm not into the whole coaching carousel of retreads.

I think I'd prefer Montgomery or Trotz if the team insists on an NHL resume.

I don't think there's enough good players to build with right now so I would prefer a project the whole way around. The guy from the Swedish national team Rikard Grὄnborg would come with no pressure to win now and could be an interesting addition to the NHL.

Do I think Torts would have the team playing hard? Yes. Would I love to see him kick JVR and Haysees dogf***ing azzes? Hell ya! 

I still think this team needs to bottom right out, clean house, and draft some elite talent. Tortsie getting this team back to mediocre (which is exactly what management wants) would only prolong the cup drought in Philly, IMHO. And i've pretty much had it with mediocre. It's one thing being mediocre, on your way up. When that's the ceiling...

PS. Dubois played in the Q, Eries in the OHL.

• Like 4

Per earlier posts, I am not so concerned with whom we hire.  This team's talent level is the real problem and deep problem.  Torts would kick butt.  He might reverse a culture of mediocrity. FC is right....that might be good if it is a step on an upward trajectory.  An outsider with a fresh view is OK.  My only fear on the developmental side is another Hakstol.  

• Like 1

I am not remotely impressed with Tort's tenure in Columbus.   At all.   I really want nothing to do with him coming to Philly, but it would be par for the course for the clown show running the (dis)organization.  If he's hired, I'll just continue watching something better...like full-contact basket weaving with Sumerian subtitles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

PS. Dubois played in the Q, Eries in the OHL.

AHL Erie Monsters I was thinking I saw him play vs Hershey...maybe it was someone else torching them Bjorkstrand maybe?. That Monsters team from a few years ago was a complete wagon. I think the team is also now called the Cleveland Monsters.

• Like 2

- "Well, it's not working with him. Is Tortorella really the solution?"

- "No."

- "But do you regret having hired him regarding all the butts he has kicked with no significant results?"

- "No."

Edited by Math
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I am not remotely impressed with Tort's tenure in Columbus.   At all.   I really want nothing to do with him coming to Philly, but it would be par for the course for the clown show running the (dis)organization.  If he's hired, I'll just continue watching something better...like full-contact basket weaving with Sumerian subtitles.

I on the other hand LOVE what he did in Columbus. He took over a team that was not a laughing stock, you have to be relevant to be laughed at, they were barely an afterthought. They had never won a single postseason series and only made the playoffs once in sixteen years pre-torts, they made it four times in a row, damn near upsetting eventual cup winners Pittsburgh and Washington before a sweep of the Bolts in year three and upsetting the Jackets in year four. Yes, he wears thin as Dubois will tell you but for every Dubois there is a Jenner or Foligno who would run through a brick wall for the man and credit him with the player they became. I think his run in Columbus was a thing of beauty with year five the inevitable fade, truthfully a year later than I woulda predicted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

AHL Erie Monsters I was thinking I saw him play vs Hershey...maybe it was someone else torching them Bjorkstrand maybe?. That Monsters team from a few years ago was a complete wagon. I think the team is also now called the Cleveland Monsters.

That team was awesome. I love AHL Hockey, I take the grandkids to half a dozen Monsters games a year and the AHL  versus the NHL is so kid friendly. That Monsters team that won the Calder Cup was stacked, Bjorgstrand won the playoff MVP that year. Only a few NHLers came from that team, Josh Anderson, Sonny Milano Bjorgstrand, Werenski, a couple of good goalies in Forsberg/Korpisalo, other than that the Lake Erie Monsters were loaded with a bunch of mostly career AHLers playing out the string guys like Jamie Sifers and Ryan Craig and a friend of mine, Brad Thiessen who kept trying to retire but for six years they kept asking him to  stick around as a sort of goalie coach/ 3rd goalie for years. Manny Malholtra was there.so was Steve Eminger and the bad Justin Falk. Lots of vets with a smattering of guys who are having nice careers and some kids who never developed, a perfect storm as Lake Erie won their last cup. Thanks for reminding me of that. Good times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh ok...but I think he made the show right out of junior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

That team was awesome. I love AHL Hockey, I take the grandkids to half a dozen Monsters games a year and the AHL  versus the NHL is so kid friendly. That Monsters team that won the Calder Cup was stacked, Bjorgstrand won the playoff MVP that year. Only a few NHLers came from that team, Josh Anderson, Sonny Milano Bjorgstrand, Werenski, a couple of good goalies in Forsberg/Korpisalo, other than that the Lake Erie Monsters were loaded with a bunch of mostly career AHLers playing out the string guys like Jamie Sifers and Ryan Craig and a friend of mine, Brad Thiessen who kept trying to retire but for six years they kept asking him to  stick around as a sort of goalie coach/ 3rd goalie for years. Manny Malholtra was there.so was Steve Eminger and the bad Justin Falk. Lots of vets with a smattering of guys who are having nice careers and some kids who never developed, a perfect storm as Lake Erie won their last cup. Thanks for reminding me of that. Good times.

Sure, stab us in the back some more bringing up Eminger :whiteflag:

• Haha 2

Torterella will definitely light a fire under the team because that is what he does. He will have players who love him and players who hate him because his coaching style will be totally different from the previous. The fans will either love his style or hate his style of coaching. It also will also come with success or not.  My main concern with the signing of him is what happens if he comes up with some sort of disagreement with how he is coaching with the GM Chuck Fletcher? Torts isn't gonna take #%*! from Fletcher when it comes to the way he coaches the team or any aspect of what goes on the ice. I don't know how that will work. 

• Like 2

Torts had better win immediately, because he'll wear out his welcome within two seasons. I mean, if you're a Torts type of player...you're in very good shape to enjoy your hockey life but if not...look out. I don't think he's a long term solution, although he is a good head coach.

(Fixed).

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

Trotz, Torts....yep, Flyers in "fix it" mode if they are seriously looking at these guys.
And honestly, that might be the kind of boot in the O & B butt the organization needs.

I think we ALL KNOW a guy like Torts has a set shelf life. But even if he at least gets this team back to a competitive mindset and changes the culture of that locker room from negative or indifference to competitive and fiery, then he will have done his job....even if he does ultimately get shown the door because he has used up his Koach Karma getting his message across.

Now....if Torts IS hired, some things to watch that should make for pretty entertaining TV and news:

1-- Torts vs The Flyer Establishment.
Will the higher ups let Tortorella do his job? Furnish him with the right parts he needs to change the team's fortunes?
If not, will Torts tell Fletcher, Holmgren or whomever else to "stick it in their pocket!" as he removes himself from the situation?

2-- Torts vs Flyer Floaters.
Yea, those players best beware. Iffin yer gonna float on Torts' watch, Coach will help you float...all the way up to the pressbox and ultimately push to either get you off the team entirely, or buried in the minors somewhere forced to try scoring on guys named Binzwhack, Folovie, and Marshmouth...journeymen goalies no one ever heard of.

3-- Torts vs Ristolainen Specifically.
Torts likes good execution. He loves big hitters. He loves attitude.
Torts does NOT like low on-ice hockey IQ.
Risto better smarten up with Torts as coach and learn to not leave his goalie and the team high and dry with ill advised hit attempts or vacating your point position at the stupidest time.
Risto may end up as the team's 7th or 8th defenseman.....because Coach doesn't care how much you make. He place you where he thinks you rank. Including serving popcorn.

4-- Torts vs the Philly media.
Torts in NY with that media scrutiny was pretty funny to listen to. 
We all know about "Go ^%$#@ yourself then, Brooksie".
Is there a "Brooksie" in the Philly media who will get on Torts' nerves with stupid, pompous questions that coach will have to recommend they go fornicate themselves? 
Could be....

Bottom line is, if The Fly hire John Tortorella, and he is allowed to do what he does, the team WILL toughen up, will improve, will be competitive. And yes, Torts will wear on the team eventually, but if the team learned their lessons well, as an organization, they could be well set up for the next coach, the next forward thinking coach, the team hires.

One thing Torts WON'T be in Philly, is boring. :bigteeth: 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's thought that this was the problem with Vigneault, Therrien or both.  They aren't Chuck's "Yes men", only telling Chuck what he wants to hear.  Instead, telling him what he needs to hear, and Fletcher's ego(and Holmgren's ego as well) can't handle that.

The problem is that many quality NHL head coaches will do the same.  Tell the GM and front office what they need to hear.  Tell them to do their job and let the coach and staff do their jobs.  Trotz is certainly not a guy that's going to sugar coat things for the sake of a failing front office's fragile ego.  And, it's why this organization MUST have changes made to that front office before anything will truly change.

If they don't get this hire right, because Dumb Holmgren and Dumber Dave want to keep Clarkie's buddy around, then they will completely alienate (maybe permanently) the fanbase. So, if Trotz wants to be GM and head coach...they'd damned well better agree to it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Trotz, Torts....yep, Flyers in "fix it" mode if they are seriously looking at these guys.
And honestly, that might be the kind of boot in the O & B butt the organization needs.

I think we ALL KNOW a guy like Torts has a set shelf life. But even if he at least gets this team back to a competitive mindset and changes the culture of that locker room from negative or indifference to competitive and fiery, then he will have done his job....even if he does ultimately get shown the door because he has used up his Koach Karma getting his message across.

Now....if Torts IS hired, some things to watch that should make for pretty entertaining TV and news:

1-- Torts vs The Flyer Establishment.
Will the higher ups let Tortorella do his job? Furnish him with the right parts he needs to change the team's fortunes?
If not, will Torts tell Fletcher, Holmgren or whomever else to "stick it in their pocket!" as he removes himself from the situation?

2-- Torts vs Flyer Floaters.
Yea, those players best beware. Iffin yer gonna float on Torts' watch, Coach will help you float...all the way up to the pressbox and ultimately push to either get you off the team entirely, or buried in the minors somewhere forced to try scoring on guys named Binzwhack, Folovie, and Marshmouth...journeymen goalies no one ever heard of.

3-- Torts vs Ristolainen Specifically.
Torts likes good execution. He loves big hitters. He loves attitude.
Torts does NOT like low on-ice hockey IQ.
Risto better smarten up with Torts as coach and learn to not leave his goalie and the team high and dry with ill advised hit attempts or vacating your point position at the stupidest time.
Risto may end up as the team's 7th or 8th defenseman.....because Coach doesn't care how much you make. He place you where he thinks you rank. Including serving popcorn.

4-- Torts vs the Philly media.
Torts in NY with that media scrutiny was pretty funny to listen to. 
We all know about "Go ^%$#@ yourself then, Brooksie".
Is there a "Brooksie" in the Philly media who will get on Torts' nerves with stupid, pompous questions that coach will have to recommend they go fornicate themselves? 
Could be....

Bottom line is, if The Fly hire John Tortorella, and he is allowed to do what he does, the team WILL toughen up, will improve, will be competitive. And yes, Torts will wear on the team eventually, but if the team learned their lessons well, as an organization, they could be well set up for the next coach, the next forward thinking coach, the team hires.

One thing Torts WON'T be in Philly, is boring. :bigteeth: 

That's for sure. I can't wait to hear him describe Farabee's next in-season illness. :eyeroll:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

You could do worse. You HAVE done worse. I wouldnt be upset if the Wings snagged him knowing he is the last of a dying breed. So many coaches and players are cookie cutter with all their replies, cut/paste same stuff blah blah. Not Torts. As I said, never boring and his teams with one exception do better after he arrives.

As always, a good take, Yave.....also noticed that last part.... by any chance, would that "exception" be the Vancouver Canucks?

You are, of course, right about that.
I just point it out because it was one of those hires that way before Torts really got going with that team, I felt it was a mistake.
The Canucks were way too enamored with the Sedins and their playstyle, and by extension, the rest of the team who followed their leads.

That is to say, wide open offensively, lesser attention to detail, especially on defense, and catering to the established "star players" and not so much with the blue collar guys.
NONE of that was Torts' style, and Vancouver would need a major, major overhaul to conform to what Torts needed, and they just weren't ready to do that when he was there.
Hence Torts' ineffectiveness there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Torts for the circus aspect, but not interested in him milking out 5-6 more wins a year so we can pick 10th instead of 5th

I think the big picture though, if you are gonna involve a coach like him, isn't so much how many more wins....at least in the short term.

It's more about culture change, attitude change, giving a bit more of a ^%$# change.
That's something the Flyers, IMO, need VERY badly.

And if he can weed out the undesirable clods from the team while he's at it, then double word score for your team!
He gets quite a bit out of his players if they are willing to work hard.
So even if the Flyers end up with later picks due to getting a few more wins, they will likely perform above their heads under him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I don't believe any of that will happen under current management.

How is Columbus' culture right now?

Ahh, yes.
And THAT was one of the things to watch for I mentioned before:
Will upper management let Torts do his job?

If so, culture WILL change. If not, it will be business as usual and the team won't have to fire Torts...he'll just walk out.

As for Columbus, their culture actually seems good.
Torts turned them from a soft, easy to play against team, to one with b56lls. One that took out a 62-win President's Trophy winner in a 4-game sweep.
Yes, he wore on them, and they needed him out afterwards, but Columbus isn't viewed as a pushover by anyone anymore...even with Torts gone.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1