Trade Deadline Come and Gone...

Guest WingNut722

Ken Holland was his usual self yesterday, staying pretty quiet during the trade deadline. The only move he did make was to send part-time defenseman Mike Commodore to Tampa for a couple 4th round picks in the 2013 draft. I heard about a lot about people calling into Detroit sports radio stations threatening to "turn in the Red Wings Fan cards." Well go ahead, ya hacks! Why would you expect Ken Holland to do anything else? Some big names were in the rumor mill and very very few of them were moved. The highlight trade of this year was probably Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson. Two players the Wings had no interest in. Rick Nash, Ryan Suter, Alex Semin, Tuomo Ruutu...none of them ever moved despite the hype. Ken Holland is one of the smartest, slickest, and shrewdest GMs in the league. He's not going to buy up big names just because he can. It's not simple math...like adding Nash would add another 30 goals per season. Nash is incredibly expensive, and Holland will not bring him on so he can make more money than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Lidstrom. Holland treats his team like a family, and family comes first.

What is going on with the Red Wings currently is their yearly injury bug. Every single year, a couple top line guys head for the infirmary at the same time, leaving a rough go for the guys who are left. Folks are just upset that it's happened so late in the season instead of earlier. Datsyuk, Ericsson, Eaves, Cleary, Howard, and Zetterberg all have dealt with some kind of injury in the last two weeks. It's no different than last year, except Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Krinwall are not on the list. Expect a few more losses in the next few games as the Wings adjust, and then they'll bounce back, just like every year.

With the team Detroit has, (even without Patrick Eaves) they were able to climb to the top of the league and stay there before being dethroned by the number 2 team. I have no reason to believe that any huge deals needed to be made yesterday by Ken Holland. The acquisition of Kyle Quincy is one that few expected but nobody is really surprised. Holland also has his mind set on bringing up a few young defensemen. Jakub Kindl should now see full ice time, and Brendan Smith will likely get the call-up from Grand Rapids that everyone expected him to get back in September.

The truth is the Red Wings have fallen from the top of the mountain and, in all honesty, will likely not return soon while so many players are either out entirely or not 100%. However, there is every reason to believe that Detroit can remain in the top 4, keeping home-ice advantage for the playoffs, while their team heals. With rested stars and young, energetic call ups, the Wings will still make their usual dent in the playoffs.

And by the way, there are no official Red Wings Fan Cards. You got suckered....

It would have been really really nice to add a top six forward, but look at the price that players went for. Gaustad brought a first for gods sake. Pahlsson for two fourths. To get someone who would help our team the price would have been too high for now and the future. I trust Holland and Nill to always look at the big picture and make the right decision. Now Quincey improves the offense from the blue line as does Brendan Smith if he can play disciplined. The Wings blue line is as good if not better than any in the league at moving the puck. I really think our post season is in the hands of Z. If he plays like 2008 with the rest of supporting cast just playing their normal game we will go deep.

@yave1964

You're right. Z needs to continue to turn it on. He's had a slumping season and is now waking up. We get all our guys back we'll be just fine. Save the free agents for the summertime. A top six forward would certainly add key offense, but it would throw off the rhythms already in place.

@yave1964

You're right. Z needs to continue to turn it on. He's had a slumping season and is now waking up. We get all our guys back we'll be just fine. Save the free agents for the summertime. A top six forward would certainly add key offense, but it would throw off the rhythms already in place.

I actually LIKE the fact that Datsyuk is out for now as far as resting him for the playoffs goes. Remember '98, when Federov held out and got his 12 MILLION dollar bonus. He was so rested that he was skating around tired defensemen and tore it up that playoff year.

That said, it is crucial that the Helm line and the young kids like Smith and Mursak contribute and play their roles. They don't have to always be scoring machines, but they do have to pose enough of a threat where opposing teams are FORCED to spread out the attention to lines other than our top two. If they do that, we'll stay competitive for the President's Cup. If not, we'll fall into the general playoff mix. We need to make sure we win our division. 2nd place will be costly this year in the SCP's.

@SpikeDDS

Good points Spike. The best thing these kids need to remember is that this is NOT the preseason. They've already got the job, so it's time for them to play smart, not to impress the coaches. The time for taking silly chances in order to show courage and hustle are over, and stunts like that in the post-season can actually have the opposite effect.

I actually LIKE the fact that Datsyuk is out for now as far as resting him for the playoffs goes. Remember '98, when Federov held out and got his 12 MILLION dollar bonus. He was so rested that he was skating around tired defensemen and tore it up that playoff year.

That said, it is crucial that the Helm line and the young kids like Smith and Mursak contribute and play their roles. They don't have to always be scoring machines, but they do have to pose enough of a threat where opposing teams are FORCED to spread out the attention to lines other than our top two. If they do that, we'll stay competitive for the President's Cup. If not, we'll fall into the general playoff mix. We need to make sure we win our division. 2nd place will be costly this year in the SCP's.

I am telling you, you guys will LOVE Brendan Smith. The hockey news calls him a poor mans Keith Yandle which would sure be fine, but he reminds me more of a young Derian Hatcher. Offensive skill and a nasty streak, I know Kronwall and Stuart hit, but this boy is just nasty. We havent had someone like him since Vlady and I dont overhype our prospects, but this kid brings an edge to the blueline we have been missing and gives us five d-men who can move the puck, Lidstrom, White, Kronwall, Smith and Quincey. I remember back in November hearing the Wings were offering Filpulla and Smith for ryan of Anaheim and I was praying it didnt go through. I have followed him since college and he is a keeper.

I remember back in November hearing the Wings were offering Filpulla and Smith for ryan of Anaheim and I was praying it didnt go through. I have followed him since college and he is a keeper.

Where did you hear that from? That is a horrible trade and I refuse to believe the Holland would make such a silly move. Of course, since he didn't, this is all purely academic. I'm excited that Smith is getting his ice time. Might be a bit of a learning curve with Quincy still new as well, but once these guys get their stride, look out...!