*** 2021-22 Western Conference Finals: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Colorado Avalanche (C1) - (COL WINS 4-0) ***

EDM vs COL  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Comes Out Best in the West?

• Oilers in 4. Edmonton is still fueled by their win over the tough Flames, that they run through the "mighty" Avs to the tune of a rippling sweep!
    • Oilers in 5. Both teams show lots of flash n skill, but WHY does it seem the Avalanche are about two steps behind the Oilers???
    • Oilers in 6. Series lives up to the hype...except it is Edmonton's hype that sees them through to the Cup Finals.
    • Oilers in 7. Game set is always in doubt..till the very end when EDM shows they will not be denied their chance at Lord Stanley's Cup.
    • Avalanche in 4. Oilers 'feel good' moments are short lived as Colorado shows them some harsh reality in the form of brooms.
    • Avalanche in 5. Lots of speed, maybe even lots of scoring, but Colorado just can't be contained and still win this pretty handily.
    • Avalanche in 6. Oilers are game. Very game, but top to bottom, the Avs prove why they were seeded #1 in the West starting post season play.
    • Avalanche in 7. Great series that many will say "Oilers have nothing to be ashamed of"...except the Oilers themselves EXPECTED to win...while they fall just short.

This poll is closed to new votes

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Western Conference Finals: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Colorado Avalanche (C1) - (COL Leads 2-0)

Colorado Avalanche shut down Connor McDavid, shut out Edmonton Oilers for 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals

12:34 AM ET
  • shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen ShiltonESPN NHL reporter

DENVER -- Connor McDavid has dominated the NHL postseason to date. But even he is feeling the pressure to perform after the Edmonton Oilers were shut out 4-0 by the Colorado Avalanche in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals on Thursday, falling behind 2-0 in the best-of-seven series.

"I probably haven't been at the top of my game here," McDavid said. "They've done a good job limiting our chances. They found a way to break through [tonight]. We didn't."

Edmonton has been powered by its superstars throughout the playoffs, and McDavid has been particularly impressive. He paces all playoff skaters with 29 points in 14 games and was a dominant force in the Oilers' second-round series victory over the Calgary Flames.

McDavid did notch one goal and three points in Game 1 against the Avalanche, an 8-6 loss for the Oilers. But like everyone else on Edmonton's bench, he was minimized in Game 2 by a relentless Colorado team that dictated much of the game with quick transition play and rush chances.

Edmonton coach Jay Woodcroft had tried to spark the Oilers by spreading out his top skaters, putting McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on separate lines to start Game 2. Draisaitl slotted in with Kailer Yamamoto and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, while McDavid paired with Evander Kane and Zach Hyman.

The change didn't have the desired effect on Edmonton as a whole.

"We did some things to move the chess pieces around," Woodcroft said. "We didn't do enough to make it hard on the opposing goaltender; we had some chances but not nearly enough. Tonight didn't go our way, but we'll go back to the drawing board."

Game 1 was such an offense-heavy affair, both sides committed to better defense in Game 2. That came somewhat to fruition in a scoreless first period in which shots favored Colorado, 15-13.

Both goaltenders, Mike Smith and Pavel Francouz (starting in place of the injured Darcy Kuemper), were excellent in that frame, making key stops to hold the tie.

Then, in the span of 2:04, it was 3-0 Avalanche.

Artturi Lehkonen had the game's ice-breaker early in the second period, followed 15 seconds later by a goal from Josh Manson.

Woodcroft took a timeout to settle his team down. It didn't help.

A bad line change by the Oilers set up an odd-man rush for Colorado that turned into another goal, this one from Mikko Rantanen.

Nazem Kadri assisted on all three goals.

"They definitely feed off momentum," McDavid said. "They find ways to compound one and turn it into three there. Obviously, it's on us to grab that. It seems likes shifts after goals -- either for or against -- have hurt us over the last couple of games. The shift after, they find a way to score right after."

Edmonton also wasted what was a terrific performance by Smith. The veteran had been pulled midway through Game 1 after allowing six goals but clearly had put that behind him in a pristine first period that required several key stops on the attacking Avalanche.

The Oilers simply couldn't give him any help. Colorado was all over Edmonton with good sticks breaking up chances and refusing to allow the Oilers any significant offensive zone time. By early in the third period, Edmonton was 0-for-2 on the power play and had been outshot 31-22.

"I thought we pushed back, we generated some offense," Woodcroft said. "That little span in the second period really hurt us, took the wind out of our sails. We weren't able to generate."

Nathan MacKinnon added to the Avalanche's haul later in the third to make it 4-0 Colorado.

As it was, Edmonton couldn't get a single puck past Francouz. Colorado started its backup for the first time this series, after losing Kuemper to an upper-body ailment midway through Game 1. Francouz posted the second playoff shutout of his career in a 24-save performance.

The series shifts to Edmonton for Game 3 on Saturday, where the Oilers will try to use their home crowd to their advantage and get back in the series.

"We've come to a building on the road, we didn't win," Woodcroft said. "Now it's on us to go back, regroup, clearly look at the things we can get better and go out and execute on home ice."

The Oilers really have to hope that Pavel Francouz is not the same goalie as he was in Game 2. Mike Smith will most likely allow a few goals in the net which means McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Hyman, Nugent Hopkins, and the others will have to keep pace. 

For the Oilers to win this game tonight I think it is going to have to be a shootout and being on home ice they will come out on top of this one. Maybe a 6-5 type of win for the Oilers tonight. 

If Francouz shuts the Oilers offense down that will be the end of the Oilers and they will most likely go down in a sweep. 

Edited by Gritty Fanatic

It would also help Edmonton if they had a few less passengers riding the McDavid, Dresietel train. 
Colorado blocked more shots than Edmonton on 1/3 less shots. 
2nd goal last game was on Archibald. Either block the shot or let your goalie see it, he did neither. 

28 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Time for McDavid and Draisaitl to do a little magic. 

Draisaitl looks like he's running at 50% speed. Almost painful to watch.
Opportunity here with Kadri still out. Can't waste it Oilers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Draisaitl looks like he's running at 50% speed. Almost painful to watch.
Opportunity here with Kadri still out. Can't waste it Oilers.

They showed a montage earlier of all the thrashings Draisaitl has been taking in this series...open ice checks, along the boards, smacked with sticks....even getting abused with shot pucks.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if all that was taking its toll on him at this point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I heard them say he had a high ankle sprain earlier. That takes time to heal and is probably reinjured. 
Hard to skate without good ankles. 

Yes, he definitely had that too.
Between that and the heavy physical price he's been paying, it's a wonder he can even lace up and get out onto the ice!

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Western Conference Finals: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Colorado Avalanche (C1) - (COL Leads 3-0)

Oilers, Avalanche in what could be the last game of the season for Edmonton.
No Kadri (injury), no Kane (suspension).

Not sure anything more can be said that hasn't been said already about what the Oilers need to do to pull out a win, but their season has now boiled down to today.
Could very well be that despite having the likes of Connor McDavid leading the way, the Oilers simply aren't a match for the Avalanche at this point in time.

Edmonton will be making liberal use of ALL the cliches teams need to use when facing elimination from an 0-3 hole, while Colorado deals with the one the team on top normally does: the fourth win is the toughest one to get.........but is it really though?

At any rate, Edmonton sans cement head Kane and Colorado sans agitator extraordinaire Kadri is on tap for tonight!

I have no doubt that the Oilers can score on the Avalanche. I have all the doubt in the world that Mike Smith and the Oilers defence can slow down the Avalanche offense. 

The key here if the Oilers will survive to live another game is Mike Smith needs to limit the amount of soft goals he lets in. 

Francouz has been playing pretty well in place of Kuemper, but I also think that the Avs D is a bit better than the Oilers so that makes a difference there.

I hope Connor McDavid and a hobbling Leon Drasaitl can put it together with Hyman & Nugent Hopkins to get the series back to Colorado basically to just have more hockey in the series. 

My prediction for tonight's game is 5-4 Oilers. 

** Also Colorado has not lost a road game this entire playoffs. **

Edited by Gritty Fanatic

Don't know how its gone to this point because I am now just tuning in, but looks to me the Oilers shots being taken on Franouz are just too "easy".

No screens, no chaos in Francouz' paint area, no quick movement into one-timers from prime scoring areas.....just straight ahead, unobstructed shots that Francouz can stop in his sleep.
Again, that is what I am seeing here as the 1st period winds down.

Did Edmonton do better earlier, but were just stoned by the Avs' goalie?

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Don't know how its gone to this point because I am now just tuning in, but looks to me the Oilers shots being taken on Franouz are just too "easy".

No screens, no chaos in Francouz' paint area, no quick movement into one-timers from prime scoring areas.....just straight ahead, unobstructed shots that Francouz can stop in his sleep.
Again, that is what I am seeing here as the 1st period winds down.

Did Edmonton do better earlier, but were just stoned by the Avs' goalie?

Yep exactly. They were stoned by the Avs goalie and that is why they are moving a little slow and lethargic at the moment. Maybe at the period break they will go in and all get the munchies and eat some chocolate and get more energy for the next period ahead. 😉

4 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Yep exactly. They were stoned by the Avs goalie and that is why they are moving a little slow and lethargic at the moment. Maybe at the period break they will go in and all get the munchies and eat some chocolate and get more energy for the next period ahead. 😉

Glad I got THAT straightened out and explained to me! :bigteeth: