*** 2021-22 Eastern Conference Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (TBL WIN 4-2) ***

TBL vs NYR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Lightning continue as Prince of Wales Champions? Or do the Rangers snatch that title en route to bigger things?

• Lightning in 4. Bolts show the Ranges how a two time champion handles business. In crushing fashion.
    • Lightning in 5. Rangers show a bit of attitude and drive, but the defending Champs are still way too much.
    • Lightning in 6. Rangers give it all, but the Lightning's talent, experience, and drive for success can't be overcome.
    • Lightning in 7. Blueshirts push the defending Cup champions to their limit, but fall short of greatness...just barely.
    • Rangers in 4. New Eastern standard. And they now reside in New York City
    • Rangers in 5. NY has learned their playoff lessons well and have an answer for just about everything the Bolts throw at them.
    • Rangers in 6. Great series that sees lots of championship caliber play from both sides, but it is now the Rangers' time.
    • Rangers in 7. The Bolts thought they had their path carved to the Finals, but NY shows they have the last say on who upstages who, and finally slay the electric dragon.

This poll is closed to new votes

993332846_TBLVSNYRbackboard.thumb.jpg.f3e70a80f55a9ec093b64aab650563d4.jpg

Season Series...Who won it?
Rangers swept all three games, 3-0-0

Tampa Bay Lightning looking to find their way into the Finals for the third straight year.....and could be encountering their most versatile opponent yet in these playoffs in the up n coming NY Rangers.

New York seems to have grown as a group by leaps and bounds. Adding to their already impressive core players from outside who are winners as well.
The Rangers will also be facing their stiffest challenge to date in this postseason as they look to do what no other team has been able to do for the last 2+ years:
Defeat the Lightning in a best of 7 playoff set.

Should be a very good Eastern Finals...both teams have top players at every position, some seasoned more than others, but all supremely talented.
Who executes, who keeps their wits about them, and who adjusts better to the other team will be the one skating away Prince of Wales Champion.

Do the Lightning continue on their history making path? Or do the Rangers put an end to that, and attempt to establish a championship path of their own?

Bolts, Blueshirts... East Finals series talk, right here!
And place your votes in the series prediction poll!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I know the Rangers swept the season series. 

I still don't believe in them.

I can't help but think were it not for the Jacob Trouba elbow, We'd be talking about the wild game 7 between the Pens and 'Canes.

I picked Bolts in 6

Igor is too good for them to not be in every game. So the Blueshirts will win a couple.

I just think Tampa has the championship recipe; they are playing better now than they were in the regular season.

I think they have that extra gear that the Rangers don't....yet.

15 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Rangers were 3-0 vs them regular season.  I’ll take Rangers in 6.  No I never dreamed Rangers were good enough to get this far.  

That's fine picking the Rangers in 6 (they CAN be pretty good if allowed to be by the opponent ;) ), but i hope you  thought this out beyond "Rangers were 3-0 during the regular season".

We all know what regular season records are worth in the playoffs... :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That's fine picking the Rangers in 6 (they CAN be pretty good if allowed to be by the opponent ;) ), but i hope you  thought this out beyond "Rangers were 3-0 during the regular season".

We all know what regular season records are worth in the playoffs... :rolleyes:

They have always been good at home.  And how many teams swept Tampa?

Goalies: :lightning:

Defense: :lightning:

Offense: :lightning:

Special teams (PP/PK): :lightning:

Coaching: :rangers:

Mental: :rangers:

Experience: :lightning:

Robustness: :rangers:

Depth: :lightning:

It's pretty close in all aspects but i still see the Lightning a bit better in most of them. And the Rangers faced a starting goalie in 5% of the overall postseason time they played. Tampa in 6.

I'm gonna sound like a 'Homer' here, but, when you are a fan of a team THIS good, hard to bet against them!
Lightning are the team to beat....until someone does.
No one has. In the playoffs. For the last two and a half playoffs.

Rangers are good. They have heart, they have skill, they have grit, they have defense, they have goaltending.
At times, they look a little "wowed" to be where they are....and teams have taken advantage of that...particularly of their very fine netminder Igor Shesterkin.

Where the Penguins failed to stamp out NY...where the Hurricanes (and their anemic PP) failed to put NY on the ropes and KEEP them there.... the Lightning aren't gonna let NY back up should the Rangers falter.

Blueshirts' wily vets (Zibanejad, Kreider, Goodrow...former Lightning BTW, Panarin, Reaves, Trouba) are gonna have to help keep the young guys' wits about them as they face a team that won't see ANY moments in these playoffs as "too big".
If they can do that, and the producers produce, the defenders defend, and Vezina Shesterkin shows up (not Shester Cheese!), the Rangers have a shot.

But I think the Bolts, aside from perhaps some slow starts due to the extra time with no games and guys healing up after getting beat around the first two rounds, are gonna do what they need to do, are gonna produce on the PP, are gonna defend like champions...while Andrei Vasilevskiy does Vasilevskiy things in net.
(Still waiting for a 2022 playoff 'scorpion tail' save!  :bigteeth:  ).

Rangers will take advantage of some of the Lightning's slow starters, while Vezina Shester WILL show up and steal a game or two, but it will be enough ONLY for those two games...wherever they may be.

Bolts in 6.

Not saying it will be easy...nothing has so far in these playoffs...even the 4-game sweep of Florida saw the Lightning pay a heavy physical toll....but once the Champs get rolling, it WILL get done! :) 

This series has to go all the way and if it does the Rangers have the home-ice edge. Other than Brayden Pointe (still not skating AFAIK) I don’t think there are any injuries to speak of on either team. Both goalies are at the top of their games… the only thing that’ll surprise me is if it doesn’t take 7.  Rangers in 7.

edit: I looked at Vasilevsky's stats from his last 6 games ... can I change my answer? But then again Shesterkin is right there with him in Save% (.932 vs .928). This one is TCTC!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Watching the pre-game warm ups.... the Lightning look serious, look ready, look relaxed, and look recharged after the time off between series.
I will be hoping that translates to sharp play right away, but expect they COULD start out slowly.

But everyone from the star players on TB to the bottom six role players seem ready to take on the home town Rangers.
They seem to be doing their own thing on their half of the ice, probably mentally game planning....SOME of the Rangers seem to be a bit preoccupied with what the Bolts are doing instead of just focused on themselves.... Artemi Panarin for example.

Interesting. 
Does that mean anything?
Are the Champs in the heads of the Rangers?

Maybe...maybe not.

They will be dropping the puck in about 10 minutes, so we will soon see!  😃

Ice sheets have been cleaned, teams are heading out to the ice for the anthems and the start of the game.

Bolts were shown fist bumping, giving each other nods....they know what they gotta do.
Blueshirts were shown with Reaves howling like he was during the Carolina series....hey, it worked for NY then, he is hoping it works for them now!

Ryan McDonagh, former Ranger, when told his buddy Chris Kreider called him a "wonderful human being"...was THEN asked if he would take it easy on him after that compliment:
McDonagh (with a straight face): "No chance. Too much on the line"

Now THAT is what Bolts fans want to hear!

Don't think Tampa has quite found their game yet.  Hedman, especially, doesn't look right.  Not sure if there's a lingering injury there, or if it's just because of the time off.  But, he doesn't look right.  Their d(team d, not just defensemen) needs to be better, and maybe get some scoring from their bottom 6.  At least, shots and scoring chances from them.

Edited by FireDillabaugh
  • Like 1

Having a long period off between series is not always the best. The Rangers are not far off from game play while the Lightning have had 9 games between game play. It may take the Lightning a bit to get back into the game time action after that layoff and for them it better be in the Game 2 or they will find themselves possibly down 2 games to zilch heading back to Tampa. 

Another thing is they are dealing with Shesterkin and not Bobrosky and Campbell. Tampa is a very quality team that can come back,but it is going to be a lot more difficult against Shesterkin then the goalies in the previous rounds. 

• Like 2