Jets get first-round pick for Copp as Rangers reach ECF

Brewin Flames

•  

Jets get first-round pick for Copp as Rangers reach ECF

The Winnipeg Jets will receive a first-round pick as part of their compensation for Andrew Copp after the New York Rangers advanced to the Eastern Conference Final on Monday.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

The Winnipeg Jets will receive a first-round pick as part of their compensation for Andrew Copp after the New York Rangers advanced to the Eastern Conference Final on Monday.

The Jets received forward Morgan Barron, a conditional second-round pick. a 2022 second-round pick and a 2023 fifth-round pick in return for Copp at the trade deadline. The conditional second-round pick would be upgraded to a first-rounder if the Rangers reached the conference final with Copp playing at least 50 per cent of the games.

Copp. 27, has six goals and 12 points in 14 games this postseason, posting a goal and an assist in Game 7 against the Carolina Hurricanes Monday.

The 27-year-old forward, who had 13 goals and 35 points in 56 games with the Jets this season, posted eight goals and 18 points in 16 games with the Rangers after the trade deadline.

The Jets now own their selection at 14th overall in July's draft and will also select with one of the final four picks in the first round after seeing the conditional pick upgraded. 

worth it. anyone who has watched five minutes of Ranger games this postseason knows without Copp they likely woulda lost to the Pens and definitely woulda been swallowed by the Canes.

10 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's an average player that's had a career end of the season stretch and playoffs with the Rangers.  Wasn't much more than a bottom 6 NHL forward before the trade.

And the deal wasn't just him for the first.  It was Copp and a 6th for Morgan Barron, the Conditional 1st, Conditional 2nd, and the '23 5th.  Sure.  In hindsight, with Copp's career production for the Rangers, the trade is a good one.  However, at the time of the deal, it was too much to give up for a player like Copp.  It's still a lot to give up for a player like Copp.  But, his production makes it a bit better.  A good trade.  Not a great trade giving those picks up for a guy that will be a UFA.

Now, if the decide to sign Copp(a player playing for a contract right now), and he returns to his normal bottom 6 NHL guy after getting that contract  , the trade quickly falls back to being too much given up for a player like Copp.  Especially depending on what he's going to be asking for after having a playoff run like he's having.

ok

All i know is that he's been a PPG player since coming to NY and seems rejuvinated.

Why, more ice time, better linemates, better utilized, more motivated, better chemistry...who knows.

Either way, I'm sure that the Jets are happy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

All i know is that he's been a PPG player since coming to NY and seems rejuvinated.

Why, more ice time, better linemates, better utilized, more motivated, better chemistry...who knows.

Either way, I'm sure that the Jets are happy.

Roslovic and Copp both felt they were underutilized in the Peg, both are performing better elsewhere. Love the haul for the Jets but if the Rangers go on to hoist the cup and Copp continues to perform as he has been all postseason, he will be a key contributing factor and yes, the Jets may make out like fat rats in the end but the cup is the cup. A lot of it too depends on if they are able to resign him after the season as he is an UFA.

I love the add for the Rags THIS YEAR but truth is he is a solid middle six center with a ton of skill but I can easily see a team signing him for too much money and too much term at the end of the year. If he gets 5X5 from someone they will regret it almost as soon as the ink is dry as he is not that player, but his heavy, smart game is perfect for the postseason and perfect for the Rangers this year.  Win a cup the cost of adding him is forgiven and forgotten. Lose this round or in the finals and watch him walk people are going to rip the cost for years to come. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Roslovic and Copp both felt they were underutilized in the Peg, both are performing better elsewhere. Love the haul for the Jets but if the Rangers go on to hoist the cup and Copp continues to perform as he has been all postseason, he will be a key contributing factor and yes, the Jets may make out like fat rats in the end but the cup is the cup. A lot of it too depends on if they are able to resign him after the season as he is an UFA.

I love the add for the Rags THIS YEAR but truth is he is a solid middle six center with a ton of skill but I can easily see a team signing him for too much money and too much term at the end of the year. If he gets 5X5 from someone they will regret it almost as soon as the ink is dry as he is not that player, but his heavy, smart game is perfect for the postseason and perfect for the Rangers this year.  Win a cup the cost of adding him is forgiven and forgotten. Lose this round or in the finals and watch him walk people are going to rip the cost for years to come. 

100 % correct, but can't have the cake and eat it too....

• Like 1