Are the Oilers done?

yave1964

Can the Oilers still pull this out?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. can the oilers come back or is this series over?

• OILERS all the way!!! win in seven games!!
    • Oilers make it respectable, lose in six or seven games
    • Schedule tee time, this series is done in either four or at most five

No team that has gotten this deep in the playoffs  in my memory can follow a great game with a bad one like these Oilers can. Down two games to none following a lackluster effort in which they were shut out by a rookie goalie and a smothering defense, after giving up two goals in fifteen seconds and then another two minutes later all set up by Kadri and the second line that took the game over,Edmonton was outshot 40-24 with most of their shots from just inside the blueline with rebounds smothered or kicked helplessly to the corner and the Oilers didnt push, the series returns to Edmonton and the question is, can they rebound and still win this series?

It can happen down 2-0 but it is rare. The Rangers fell behind two zip to the Canes and it looked like it was over before they caught fire, but those type of things are rare..

Anyway, McDavid, Draisatl, Kaner, RNH all the boys, can they still winthe series? Will they? That is the subject of this poll

I think at most the Oilers win one at home, but the Avalanche rebounded from a wild game one with the best team defense game they have played all postseason. IMHO the loss of Samuel Girard may have actually (for the postseason) been addition by subtraction. Girard is a fine puck mover on the back end but small and gets shoved around and his defense is average at best. With him out the first pair of Toews/Maker and the second of Byram/Erik Johnson is too much for the Oil to deal with. With the Oilers being a two line team the third pairing of solid and nasty Josh Manson and savy vet Jack Johnson who is hitting everything while on the ice is more than holding their own.  There are no cracks in the defense and while I dont expect a perfect game every night I just think that while all the attention is on the great frowards on both clubs the defense of Colorado is underrated and with a lead can smother you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Anyway, McDavid, Draisatl, Kaner, RNH all the boys, can they still win the series? Will they? That is the subject of this poll

Tough question after last night...seeing Colorado have everything their own way in all 3 zones. We saw at the end how the Oilers felt about getting steamrolled for 60 minutes (can't blame them). Do they have a bounce-back game in them (now a real "?") yes I think they do.

But not unless their big guns make some noise - the guys you mentioned and D. Nurse too. And then there's Mike Smith. What can you say? If he makes that stop on Manson - which he should've had esp because the timing could not have been worse for the Oilers - it was only 1-0 then - if he catches that it's a different game and not just on the scoreboard. That goal crushed the Oilers. They didn't "quit" after that but they were shell-shocked and they played like it the rest of the way.

So the scorers score and Smith makes all the expected save plus some unexpected ones too...and the Oilers win G3...If that all happens I think they'll win G4 as well. But for their own peace of mind, and to give the Avs a nice helping of Playoffs agita they need G3 to be a convincing win.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

Done.... Nah. They aren't done until Colorado wins 4 games in the series. 😉

When a team has McDavid and even Draisaitl with players to contribute along the way such as E. Kane, Nugent Hopkins, and Hyman I wouldn't count them out especially at home. 

I am not going to say the Oilers are going to come back and win the series as I thought they would before the series started, but I do think they are not counted out yet. 

• Like 1