Last Night's Game

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

1. Let's start with Bryz. He made some tough saves and looked engaged. But it was right where he is statistically, 3 goals and an .875 save percentage.

2. We get scored upon again up front. Lavy has to call a time out to settle the troops. What gives?

3. I thought Grossman and Kubina looked pretty good. Mez was in top form.

Bottom Line: I guess we can outscore the low-to-mid tier but that might not be the case against the elite. Bryz doesn't look as disengaged but his numbers are not that great. This team really is a work in progress.

Best,

Howie

@Howie58 - hey Howie, how's it goin'? I trust the Merlots and the Floridians are treating you well?

I wish I understood the lousy starts and the timeouts. They seem to work, but geez. Why doesn't Lavy save the TO and just read them the riot act before the puck drops?

I have two observations from the game last night:

1. Defensive zone coverage was poor. It was actually poorer than in some of the games that we lost. We were lucky a bit, Bryz made some key saves and we made some last minute blocks/deflections on shots from dangerous areas. But it is very worrisome. Huge gaps, missed assignments, battles lost = not good. The slot was looking open all night, also not good.

2. Too much cutesy stuff in their end, in particular just over the blue line. Good teams with better goaltending will destroy us if we play like that all the time. You have to get pucks to the net. It's very bad habit-forming kind of play, which is the worstest thing to be doing two months before the playoffs.

Let's start with Bryz. He made some tough saves and looked engaged. But it was right where he is statistically, 3 goals and an .875 save percentage.

i wouldn't worry too much about this, especially in any particular game. if there are a couple tough ones, but overall not many shots, the numbers end up a little twisted. bryzgalov did what he needed to, if not what he was paid to. i can live with that. this team can win games in front of that goaltending effort.

@aziz-

"i wouldn't worry too much about this, especially in any particular game. if there are a couple tough ones, but overall not many shots, the numbers end up a little twisted. bryzgalov did what he needed to, if not what he was paid to. i can live with that. this team can win games in front of that goaltending effort."

I can not really agree with this. He gave up a goal on the second shot of the game and just 1:35 into the game. Then gave up a goal on the first shot of the second period, just 50 seconds into the period. Thats 2 goals on the first 9 shots of the game and ties up the game for the Islanders after the Flyers were turning up the heat in the second half of the first.

The first goal was blown coverage, but you wold like to see your goalie make a "momentum" save there. The second goal in the second was Bryz slow to react to the play and already down on the ice before the play fully developed. Once he is down, his reaction time is wretched.

It its a game here and a game there, okay. But out of the last 10 games Breezy has had 5 games with lower than .900 save percentage. Its great that the Flyers have the best offense in the league, but as we move into the final full month of the season, all the games are going to get tighter and giving up 3 goals a game can not be acceptable- no matter how good the offense is.

Too much cutesy stuff in their end, in particular just over the blue line.

and coming through the N zone. It seems to be getting worse not better. The main culprits? Jagr and Giroux. If they're not trying fancy drops to each other they're going for 100-foot stretch passes cross-ice to a winger standing at the blue line. Invariably he can't take the pass cleanly or the pass is off the mark and we're on our heels again - or we ice the puck.

Dropping to a man who's 4 feet away only draws the defenders closer together, which could work if that man immediately passes to the open wing. But more often than not they try skating it. But because they tend to try these cutesy drops not in open ice but along the boards they automatically cut off half their options - there's nowhere to go but smack into those same defenders or to an outlet back.

I've seen more stalled breakouts in the N zone this year than I've seen in a long time. We seem to be using the dump-n-chase only at the end of the shift when we've exhausted ourselves trying to carry through 3, 4 defenders. So we dump but there's no chase because guys have to change. It's a recipe for tired legs and as you say Podes, a bad habit to get into.

I can not really agree with this. He gave up a goal on the second shot of the game and just 1:35 into the game. Then gave up a goal on the first shot of the second period, just 50 seconds into the period. Thats 2 goals on the first 9 shots of the game and ties up the game for the Islanders after the Flyers were turning up the heat in the second half of the first.

well, he did make a heck of a "momentum" save at the 0:53 mark of the first. but then meszaros went wandering and left a guy alone in front. regardless of the time on the clock, that's a tough situation for a goalie. and then another nice save at 3:44. and then another guy got left alone to open the second.

i get what you are saying, but neither of those were bad goals. i'm not gonna get on a goalie if the only issue was the timing of the goal. and the quality of the individual goals doesn't change depending on how many other shots came in between. 2 goals on 9 shots, 2 goals on 45 shots, the actual scoring plays were the same, so my impression of the goals themselves are the same.

giving up 3 goals a game can not be acceptable

like i said, to me a goalie can only be judged based on what he faces. if there are 6 ultra primo scoring chances against him in one game, i'm not going to get real upset if he gives up 4 goals. at that point, it is the team's fault for giving up those chances. bryzgalov made some saves that i didn't think he was going to make and made all the stops i felt a goalie needed to make, so...in the end, i was pretty ok with his game.

What struck me the most about being at the game is that people aren't absolutely killing Bryzgalov.

His announcement in goal was greeted with a smattering of applause. Even after the first goal there wasn't an immediate chorus of booos.

I think the Flyers after going up 5-2 spent too much time worrying about Read's hat trick. There was a lot of cutesy moving around in the zone waiting to set up Read - who was being denied - which had a lot of zone domination with few chances. They were like a cat with a ball of yarn that turned out to be a mouse and nipped them for the 5-3 score before getting whacked. Just about all they were doing with the empty net at the other end was trying to get it to Read.

That effort will not win against better teams, but this wasn't a better team. The Flyers started out playing down to the Isles - the guy behind me had the line of the night "why doesn't he call time out before the game starts?" - but recovered.

Everyone in my section was holding their breath on every shot at Bryz. Everyone blamed Bryz's play for why JVR is diving in front of shots - Hartnell's quote about "first shot blocked, first broken foot" was amusing. But no one booed Bryz and even with the broken foot, JVR made a play for the puck from his knees to clear the zone; hobbled to the bench; refused to go down the chute and went back to sit on the bench for the rest of the period (was not put into the game). Didn't seem to be the actions of a guy who doesn't really care all that much.

Two points against the Isles. Fifth place. 19 to play.

I think the Flyers after going up 5-2 spent too much time worrying about Read's hat trick. There was a lot of cutesy moving around in the zone waiting to set up Read - who was being denied - which had a lot of zone domination with few chances. They were like a cat with a ball of yarn that turned out to be a mouse and nipped them for the 5-3 score before getting whacked. Just about all they were doing with the empty net at the other end was trying to get it to Read.

i agree, was thinking the same thing. nice to look out for your teammate, but the isles are (technically) an NHL team, and *can* burn you if you pass up too many chances.

I will reply to my own post.

1) You could say that with all the young players on this team, we are playing better than expected, particularly given the new faces.

2) You could also say that this team's D was supposed to be among the league's best. I cannot believe that Pronger's absence is the only problem.

Bottom line, I think the fans who cringe at every shot heading in Bryz's direction are rational. And I agree that playoff hockey doesn't allow for the defensive lapses.

The last quarter of the season might raise more questions than it answers. If adding Grossman and Kubina doesn't toughen things up or lower GAA, Homer may have a lot of thinking to do. And I also think Lavy is going to need a cattle prod to get his forwards to be more "Rangerlike."

Howie

@aziz

I get what you are saying and obviously he still is on my whipping post (and probably will be until the end of the year- though its not fair). If he can show consistency for the remainder of the year, that could sway me. In the end I just do not think that he technically is a very good goalie.

@canoli - yeah the neutral zone too. I pretty much believe that the game today is won and lost there, so it's worrisome to see some of that crap. And it is habit-forming is the problem. Can't just turn the switch on and off on that crap.

@Podein25

"yeah the neutral zone too. I pretty much believe that the game today is won and lost there, so it's worrisome to see some of that crap. And it is habit-forming is the problem. Can't just turn the switch on and off on that crap."

What do they practice during practice and look at during film breakdown??

In the end I just do not think that he technically is a very good goalie.

no, i agree, he certainly isn't anything special...but he is a legitmate NHL goalie. middle of the pack, true...but the flyers haven't even gotten that to this point. last couple games he looked like he belonged on an NHL team, at least, and as a baseline, i'll take it.

greetings howie...

yeah right? lavy should just call a timeout before they even hit the ice and yell at them then in anticipation. this is getting ridiculous. bryz looked alright. i mean, his stats are the same, pretty much, but i agree.. he's looked more engaged. he's coming out to attack more, which incidentally caused the one back door tap in to be very easy. but given his overall play this year... at least things are better than they were.

grossman over committed on that one play, but otherwise he's been as expected. same with kubina. they're big and they do some pushing around which was sorely needed. quite simply... we needed them and they're giving us what should be expected. kubina is huge... he's starting to use that size a bit more lately, i guess he's getting more comfortable.

And I also think Lavy is going to need a cattle prod to get his forwards to be more "Rangerlike."

Howie

--But Lavi only knows 'one way' according to everyone. Lavi's style is to unleash everyone in the offensive zone, and in his mind the more time we spend trying to score the less time the opposition has the puck. However that only works against the Carolinas, Islanders, Toronto's of this league...then we come up against a hot goalie or a well coached team like the Rangers and we're toast.

Oh well, at least we can score goals..who really cares if we win.

What struck me the most about being at the game is that people aren't absolutely killing Bryzgalov.

His announcement in goal was greeted with a smattering of applause. Even after the first goal there wasn't an immediate chorus of booos.

That effort will not win against better teams, but this wasn't a better team. The Flyers started out playing down to the Isles - the guy behind me had the line of the night "why doesn't he call time out before the game starts?" - but recovered.

Everyone in my section was holding their breath on every shot at Bryz. Everyone blamed Bryz's play for why JVR is diving in front of shots - Hartnell's quote about "first shot blocked, first broken foot" was amusing. But no one booed Bryz and even with the broken foot, JVR made a play for the puck from his knees to clear the zone; hobbled to the bench; refused to go down the chute and went back to sit on the bench for the rest of the period (was not put into the game). Didn't seem to be the actions of a guy who doesn't really care all that much.

rads,

what section were you in?? I too was at last nights game. Sec 113. Agree with your assesment. The section I was in everyone too were holding their collective breaths everytime the Isles skated into the zone. Was it me, or did the Isles seem to come down the slot fairly easy??? Not good when you start to play better teams......

Edited by pilldoc

This team really is a work in progress.

If all goes well. The team can score so no problem there. With this line up, it should also be able to keep the puck out of its own net. Bryzgalov has been obscenely horrendous all season but has played decently the past few games (for sure putting aside his performance in Calgary). Is he going to turn it around? I have no idea; he's burned us before when we were hopeful. The defense has a couple of new additions that have the potential to improve the merely horrendous defensive zone coverage. The defense may have the potential to be a lot stingier than it is so let's hope it gels.

Everyone in my section was holding their breath on every shot at Bryz. Everyone blamed Bryz's play for why JVR is diving in front of shots - Hartnell's quote about "first shot blocked, first broken foot" was amusing. But no one booed Bryz and even with the broken foot, JVR made a play for the puck from his knees to clear the zone; hobbled to the bench; refused to go down the chute and went back to sit on the bench for the rest of the period (was not put into the game). Didn't seem to be the actions of a guy who doesn't really care all that much.7112 39th Ln E.

7112 39th I agree Simmons needs to take that shot. Especially if he has a good chance. Hat trick or no.

rads,

what section were you in?? I too was at last nights game. Sec 113. Agree with your assesment. The section I was in everyone too were holding their collective breaths everytime the Isles skated into the zone. Was it me, or did the Isles seem to come down the slot fairly easy??? Not good when you start to play better teams......

I was right above you in 213 :-)

Mostly long time folks who know their hockey.

The section even got a drunken Flyer fan thrown out for being obnoxious to a couple Isles fans.

Afterwards, guy leaned over behind them and said "we only beat up Devils and Rangers fans"