Last Night's Game

Guest Howie58

i wouldn't worry too much about this, especially in any particular game. if there are a couple tough ones, but overall not many shots, the numbers end up a little twisted. bryzgalov did what he needed to, if not what he was paid to. i can live with that. this team can win games in front of that goaltending effort.

a

Yes we just need more consistency.

I'm ready and so are they for him to actually STEAL a win.

Man Lundquist is scary good this year.

I'm ready and so are they for him to actually STEAL a win.

personally, i'd just as soon he doesn't end up in a position to need to steal a win.

Man Lundquist is scary good this year.

yeah, he really is. if he can maintain, he's gonna set a new save pecentage record, beating the one thomas set last season.

to the extent i am afraid of the rangers in the playoffs, he is the sole reason.

I can not really agree with this. He gave up a goal on the second shot of the game and just 1:35 into the game. Then gave up a goal on the first shot of the second period, just 50 seconds into the period.

the one thing that has driven me the most nuts this entire season.... early goals and/or goals that occur within the opening and closing moments of periods.

If all goes well. The team can score so no problem there. With this line up, it should also be able to keep the puck out of its own net. Bryzgalov has been obscenely horrendous all season but has played decently the past few games (for sure putting aside his performance in Calgary). Is he going to turn it around? I have no idea; he's burned us before when we were hopeful. The defense has a couple of new additions that have the potential to improve the merely horrendous defensive zone coverage. The defense may have the potential to be a lot stingier than it is so let's hope it gels.

I am not used to a Flyers squad that give up goals in bunches. We have reversed from where we were a few years back--the team couldn't get the puck out of its own zone. Now it invades the attack zone but leaves the lousy goaltender ripe for easy goals.

--But Lavi only knows 'one way' according to everyone. Lavi's style is to unleash everyone in the offensive zone, and in his mind the more time we spend trying to score the less time the opposition has the puck. However that only works against the Carolinas, Islanders, Toronto's of this league...then we come up against a hot goalie or a well coached team like the Rangers and we're toast.

Oh well, at least we can score goals..who really cares if we win.

I just wrote Terp...well, we can move the puck out out of our zone...a few years ago that couldn't be taken for granted.

Howie

Greetings:

1. Let's start with Bryz. He made some tough saves and looked engaged. But it was right where he is statistically, 3 goals and an .875 save percentage.

2. We get scored upon again up front. Lavy has to call a time out to settle the troops. What gives?

3. I thought Grossman and Kubina looked pretty good. Mez was in top form.

Bottom Line: I guess we can outscore the low-to-mid tier but that might not be the case against the elite. Bryz doesn't look as disengaged but his numbers are not that great. This team really is a work in progress.

Best,

Howie

Howie:

Bottom Line:

1.) Flyers are not an Elite Team.

2.) Flyers cannot play with the Elite Teams.

3.) Flyers have had a hugely dissappointing year, many factors.

4.) Flyers are not going anywhere.

Time to look at 2012/2013 and....

BOI

Howie:

Bottom Line:

BOI

Hey, Bear!

To be faiir, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. I think the Flyers are probably exceeding any reasonable expectations. (Did anyone really think we'd lead the league in goals?)

But you just never know what might happen once the playoffs start.

Hey, Bear!

To be faiir, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. I think the Flyers are probably exceeding any reasonable expectations. (Did anyone really think we'd lead the league in goals?)

But you just never know what might happen once the playoffs start.

Totally agree. Fans were seduced by the successes of this squad, but seem to have forgotten all of the questions going into this year. Scary thought, an adequate goalie would have this team #1 in the NHL, without any doubt in my opinion.

Totally agree. Fans were seduced by the successes of this squad, but seem to have forgotten all of the questions going into this year. Scary thought, an adequate goalie would have this team #1 in the NHL, without any doubt in my opinion.

The future looks very bright for this team.

Thank Homer for not making any panic moves at the deadline.

@BearOnIce

I agree with #1,2&4, but as far as a disppointing year, I guess that's a function of what you actually expected this team to do. In July, after the shakeup, I figured it would be just slip into the playoffs, and that looks like what they're going to. The fast start got our hopes up, no doubt. I'm disappointed in the defensive play, but that also has to to be taken in consideration with Lavi's go-go offensive system, and the loss of #20. And obviously we're all disappointed in Bryz's body of work. But Read and Couturier have been pleasant surprises too.

2012-13 it is, and @AndyS yes thank jebus Homer didn't go hard after Nash

Howie:

Bottom Line:

BOI

Bear:

Up north, my dad is not well. I am getting used to Philadelphia Intl.

Yes, we are not an elite team. I would like to think that by next year, 2014 at the latest, we are of that caliber.

Peace,

Howie

Howie:

I am a spiritual person so I will remember him in my prayers. I wish you the best. Does he like hockey like you? You know there is a special place inside the special place for guys that like hockey..

As far as our team, well, what can we say? It kind of is what it is this year. Strange year in so many ways.

I hope the white tigers and the universe become proportional again, JVR heals well, and CP20 can live a healthy life.

BOI

AndyS:

I totally agree with you.

1.) I have always seen this year as a rebuilding year. I was most concerned about the D getting older, what to do there, and how the youth movement would respond.

2.) Leading NHL in goals. Quite a surprise. Very bright future indeed.

3.) Holmgren knows when to sit tight. I applaud him. No panic.

4.) You are right. You never know when the playoffs start. I do not old out a lot of promise but maybe the universe and white tigers will, as I like to say, become proportional again, and Bryz will cause us to drop our mouths as he catches form and earns his paycheck...

5.) The goalie has been a make or break proposition this year. Imagine what a .856 would get us?

BOI